Virtually Lost

Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I also hope that they will thoroughly enjoy this story, and recommend it to others.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14

Home

I woke up in a hospital bed, with more wires on me than Dad's desk. I looked over to see him beside me, typing away on a laptop.
"Dad." I muttered. At the sound of my voice, he closed the laptop, and walked over to my bedside. "Where are we?" I asked.
"Somewhere safe, for now." He answered. "How are you feeling?"
"Like I just got hit by a bus."
"Actually, we did get hit by another car on the way over here. Sorry."
"Thats okay. What happened to it?"
"I underestimated the Game's power. Beating it only shut it down, but now it's in safe hands. All thanks to you."
"Yea, but too many people died while I was in there. I wish that's could have saved them." Dad suddenly looked confused.
"What do you mean? Who?" I sat up.
"All of those people that you sent in there with me, they all died." My head fell. "Even Player Zero." He let out a long sigh and turned back towards his chair. Dad sat down and buried his hands in his face.
"It's worse than I thought." He grumbled. I ripped off all of the wires, and walked over to him.
"What happened in there? What's wrong?" Dad rested his hands on his lap.
"The team never made it. They were intercepted before they could reach the rendezvous point." I sat back down on the bed.
"Who we're they then? Who helped me?" Dad smiled.
"They were just another part of the game. They must have sensed that you were in danger, and rushed to our aid." I couldn't believe it. The girl of my dreams wasn't even real, just another part of my imagination. I laid back down on the bed, pulled up the covers, and closed my eyes.
Dad shifted his attention to the window. "They won't stop, you know. Not until they have the Game, and we're all dead. We have to keep running if we want to live. We must always be two steps ahead of them. You know this don't you, Matt? Matt?" I wasn't listening. I was speaking to myself quietly.
"Samantha." I felt Dad's hand ease its way onto my shoulder. Underneath the beeps of the medical equipment, my small echoes haunted the quiet room.
"She wasn't even real." I repeated.
"She wasn't even real."

The End
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14

None0 said...
Jun. 1, 2013 at 11:55 pm:
Here's my impression from the first 5 or so chapters.   Your plot moves way too fast. You need to slow down a bit and take the time to show your reader the details instead of just telling them to us. For example, in the first chapter, you tell everyone that the main character is the laughing stock of the school. Instead, how about backtracking a few days and writing a scene with the main character at school, and reflect a little on his thoughts there. This does take a lot of work, b... (more »)

Mrs. Hamers said...
This is phenomenal! The suspense is almost too much! Keep it up Eric M. :)

Liz F. said...
Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm:

This is my first visit to Teen Ink as I was introduced to it by a young man who authored "Virtually Lost".

I very much enjoyed "Virtually Lost" and look forward to reading more from him.