Virtually Lost

Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: From reading this story, I hope that people will learn that not all things are as they seem. I also hope that they will thoroughly enjoy this story, and recommend it to others.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

Prologue

Everyone told me I was born to be a gamer, but I never thought I would die one too. No game I have ever played has even remotely challenged me until now. I easily defeated my opponents one by one, but not this time. He was too strong, too experienced. I knew the second that I stepped into the abandoned coliseum.

I watched helplessly as he disabled every single one of my weapons, some I didn’t even know were there. He drained my shield as if I were on level one instead of sixty-seven. Why didn’t he just finish me off? What was the point of disabling all of my weapons before killing me?

The blade flew through the air, and stopped right before my helmet. Suddenly, a suit appeared holding the sword. “Dude, camouflage? That is cheating.” The figure turned its head, scanning the arena to make sure there were no other players.

“Where is the creator?”

“Dude, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m just a hacker.”

“Well to get this far you must have been trained.” His blade withdrew into his arm, and transformed into a heat cannon.  “I’ll settle for the location of Player Zero.”

“I told you, I don’t know anything.”

“Then you are of no more use to me.”

I screamed, and faded into darkness. I lay on the floor of the empty arena, only my suit keeping me alive for a few last seconds. I watched as the golden swordsman exited the arena. He looked over his shoulder, and said a gamer’s worst nightmare.

“Game Over.” 

None0 said...
Jun. 1, 2013 at 11:55 pm:
Here's my impression from the first 5 or so chapters.   Your plot moves way too fast. You need to slow down a bit and take the time to show your reader the details instead of just telling them to us. For example, in the first chapter, you tell everyone that the main character is the laughing stock of the school. Instead, how about backtracking a few days and writing a scene with the main character at school, and reflect a little on his thoughts there. This does take a lot of work, b... (more »)

Mrs. Hamers said...
This is phenomenal! The suspense is almost too much! Keep it up Eric M. :)

Liz F. said...
Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm:

This is my first visit to Teen Ink as I was introduced to it by a young man who authored "Virtually Lost".

I very much enjoyed "Virtually Lost" and look forward to reading more from him.