Equanimity

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 Next »

Chapter 9: 9. Erinnerungen

Entering camp, Caleb and I sit down, listening to the noises of the forest. Turning, I look at him, and try to figure out who he is exactly. Nothing about his appearance would how that he isn’t human. The only real evidence would be his own words, and that sudden show of summoning a spear out of the blue and causing a tornado.

“Caleb?”

“Yes, Mina?”

“How are you not human?” I ask.

“Good question. Let me explain, it in the simplest terms possible. I am a guard…no not a bodyguard, or a security guard. You see, I was killed in a drive by shooting, while in Roxbury, Massachusetts. The last thing I remember, while I was still breathing, was someone asking me if I was ready to die. I said no, and then passed away, only to wake up again surrounded by nothing but blackness. After about a minute, the blackness cleared, and then I was back in Roxbury standing above my own dead body, while my parents mourned my apparent death. I couldn’t speak with them, and they didn’t seem to be able to see me. The same voice that asked me if I was ready to die, told me that I no longer existed fully on the same level of existence as my parents. I then left them, and entered Boston. Once I entered Boston, I was able to feel the ground beneath me again, and I was able to touch things with my hands again.”

“So vhat did you do after you regained your senses?”

“Well, I regained my entire body to be exact, and the first thing I did, was steal some clothes.” He replied.

“Vhy?”

“Because I was stark naked when I came back to the living.” He said, a grin forming on his lips.

Pausing for a moment, I then break out into uncontrolled fits of laughter, slapping my knees in amusement. A few seconds later, Caleb joins in.

“Did anybody see you?” I ask between fits of laughter.

“Um…no…alright, a clerk spotted me in the clothing aisle.” He stammers in reply, a red hue tinting his cheeks. Clutching my sides, I burst into another fit of laughter.

“Now ZAT must have been a sight! I vonder vhat zat clerk zought, seeing a fifteen year old who stands 6’1 running naked through his store!” I cackle.

“In hindsight, it probably was…the clerk probably didn’t know what to think. Thankfully, he didn’t call the police.” He replied, shaking his head ruefully.

“How did you get here? Did you come here immediately afterward?” I ask, tossing some more wood onto the fire.

“No, I met the Guardian, and the other current Guard, Abel Hiram. If you ask me, the Guardian is probably the last person or thing you want to piss off. That and she is a bit…shall we say battle mad? Abel on the other hand is the friendliest and most easygoing person I can remember meeting.” He answered.

“Vhat do they look like?”

“The Guardian, stands about 5’10, and has green eyes, brown hair, and has an athletic physique. She has a scar running across the bridge of her nose and left eye, and one running down the length of her right arm. She probably has other scars, but I really don’t want to know where. Abel has light brown hair and brown eyes. He stands about 5’11, and isn't too muscular, he is pretty much average.”

“So after you met zem, vhat did you do?”

“I trained, and then trained some more. I mostly sparred with either the Guardian, or Abel. This trip was to be both my first mission and my first vacation.” He continued.

“How did you do, when you sparred against Abel and the Guardian?” I asked, curious to know how well he could truly fight, even if it wasn’t of any real importance at the time.

He started to chuckle at this, and shook his head. “Pretty badly. The Guardian either simply crushed either me or Abel, through sheer strength and brute skill, or Abel outsmarted me, and left me stuck to a wall by my clothing.”

“Vant another sparring partner?” I asked, standing up and brushing the dirt off my clothes.

“Who…wait you?” He asks incredulousness etched onto his face.

“Ja, Who else?”

“Um…well.”

“Come on put ’em up.” I goad, raising my own fists.

“Right now…Shouldn’t we wait?”

“Better now or never.” I reply.

“Fine”

He stood up, and we began to circle each other like a pair of wolves. I make the first strike, Lunging forward, and to the right, I throw a kick towards his ribs. He hops back, his right arm sweeping down to intercept my kick. I pull my leg back, and press forward, aiming for the opening from where his arm would have been.

Adrenaline courses through me, as Caleb barely manages to catch my punch, just a few inches from contact. This is going to be fun! Twisting myself around, I avoid his counter and grasping his wrist, plant a foot against his stomach, and shove him away.

Striding forward, I throw another punch, this time aiming for his head. He catches the punch, and pulls me forward. Not bad Caleb! I turn to my right, and throw an elbow towards him. He blocks it, so I swing my head back, and succeed in catching him by surprise. The back of my skull collides with his forehead and he loosens his hold on my wrist.

Twisting around, I dive towards his legs, dragging him down as I go. He lands next to me, and tries to wrap an arm around my throat. I twist around while he tries that, and land a punch on his stomach. He muscles his way through it though, and tries to pin me down by the arms, yet I try to block his attempts. His third attempt is pushed inside my guard, and instead of pinning my arms, his hands slam into my chest, knocking the air from my lungs.

“Eh…!”

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

JohnCimeno said...
Thank you. I've started reading "A New Era" and I really like what I've seen so far.

Vagabond said...
Sept. 9, 2012 at 10:33 am
Hi! I really loved it!! Please read my book "a new era" and post your comments! :)