Equanimity

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next »

8. Pity

“MINA!” Pulling the last branch from my stomach, I push myself to my feet, and jog over to Mina. Tossing my arms around the bloodstained girl, I hold her there, waiting as her breathing becomes more even.

“You’ve done enough, Mina. You’ve done enough. You can stop now.” I soothe, stroking the girl’s short red hair. Standing there, I hold her there for around a minute, before she calms down, and goes limp.

Her head lifts up, and she frees herself from my embrace. Looking around she sees what she has done and turns toward me, tears of blood sliding down her cheeks.

“Vhat…vhat have I done?” She whispers, her eyes wide with fear.

“It’s alright…whatever it is, it’s over now. We should get back to camp.” I reply.

“Oh god…I’m a monster…a plain as night monster!” She wails, hands covering her face.

“You’re not a monster.” I reply, striding over to her to grasp her shoulders. Giving her a quick shake, I pull her into another hug.

“Don’t worry yourself over what has happened. Things like this can’t be controlled. What happened isn’t your fault, don’t dwell on it. People, we included can’t always be perfect, hell…we rarely are. We just need to take things for what they are, and try to make the best of it.”

“You…really believe…zat?” She whispers, her face hopeful.

“I do. We are who we are, and that can’t be changed, just lived with.” I reply, giving her a small smile.

“Caleb?” She says.

“Yes?”

“Zank you…for everything.” She responds.

“Mina…”

“I’m fine now.” She finishes, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Um… Ok.”

“Let’s go…vait! Don’t you need to leave tonight?” She asks, her eyes watching my every move.

“You’re right. I’ll send the person who I’m supposed to be meeting a message. Give me a minute.” I reply.

“Alright, go ahead.”

Guardian? This is Guard #02 Caleb Hannan, requesting your attention.

Eh? Oh, Caleb? What do you want? Also, where the f*** are you?

I’m in…well what used to be a forest, about half a mile from the nearest town.

What the hell are you doing there? You’re supposed to meet me two miles north of the town; from what I can tell you’re half a mile south!

I encountered the vampire you warned me about.

When? And what happened? Answer me you daft fool!

I encountered her about seventeen minutes ago. She’s dead now.

I’m impressed! You actually managed to kill her. Good work.

I wasn’t the one who killed her. Hell, she almost killed me. Her fledgling saved my life.

Why would her fledgling act against her?

Her fledgling hated her. She probably still does.

So what happened exactly?

I managed to catch the vampire in a tornado, where she was struck by loose branches and pieces of wood. She survived though, and stuck me full of sharpened branches. She was going to finish me off, yet her fledgling got the jump on her…and well…tore her into bloody pieces.

Oh, so the fledgling killed her. Did the fledgling become a master vampire? Did the fledgling drink its master’s blood?

No, she hasn’t drunk blood yet.

Alright, since the threat has abated, both for you and for me, I’ll let you have the rest of this week and next for your vacation. After that, though…You’re coming with me.

Thank you Guardian.

Don’t mention it. Remember the rest of this week and the next no more. Good – bye.

“OK, I’m finished Mina, we can go.” I call out.

“Right ahead of you.” She replies, before quickening her pace into a jog.

JohnCimeno said...
Thank you. I've started reading "A New Era" and I really like what I've seen so far.

Vagabond said...
Sept. 9, 2012 at 10:33 am:
Hi! I really loved it!! Please read my book "a new era" and post your comments! :)