Equanimity

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »

10. Stricken

An awkward silence holds for an entire minute, with me pinning Mina to the ground. I feel my face flaring up, and I withdraw my hands from her chest, fully aware that I will probably be on the receiving end of a punch soon. I am not disappointed, as both of her hands make contact with my nose and jaw, sending me tumbling away from her.

Ow! Ah crap, she is going to be extremely pissed off at me now. Unsurprisingly, she is as mad as a rabid wolf, and again showing an absurd level of strength for someone her size, she snatches me off the ground, and then slams me back down. A cry of pain escapes my lips.

“DUMMKOPF! Pervert! Vhat ze hell vere you trying to do!?” Mina yells, rounding on me. Stooping down, she grabs me by the collar, and lifts me into a sitting position.

Who do you zink you are you vorthless, sniveling, shit eating scheissekopf? WHO ZE HELL DO YOU ZINK YOU ARE!?” She screams at me, shaking me from side to side.

“I’M SORRY! I’M SO SORRY! It was an accident!” I plead, struggling to free myself from her iron grip.

She drops me back onto the ground, and storms off, not bothering to look back. She enters the tent, and tosses my bedroll out the door, before zipping it shut. I’ve been evicted…hmph! Walking over to the fire, I kick dirt onto it, smothering it and putting it out. Grabbing my bedroll, I smooth it out, and curl up on it, waiting for sleep to overtake me.

See what you’ve done? Now she’ll hate you forever.
Shut up…just shut up!
No, you pathetic fool. I will not. You should have taken her when you had the chance.
I wouldn’t dare to.
Oh? You wouldn’t dare to? You had a perfect opportunity back there! Only a few layers of clothing separated you from her!
I wouldn’t do that…I would never do anything that would hurt her.
Fool! You are setting your self up for loneliness! What reason is there for your existence if you don’t make the most of it? A life without pleasure is a bleak one.
A life of depravity is a life of despair.
Fine, make of it what you will, you foolish wanderer.

Standing up, I walk over to the stream, and wash my face, trying to forget what has just occurred within my own mind. I’ll make it up to her somehow…tomorrow; I’ll talk to her, maybe by that time she will have calmed down.

Walking back to the tent, I steel myself for the worst, and unzip the tent door. She looks at me and gives me a loaded glare, before picking up my bag and tossing it to me.

“Thanks, Mina.”

“You’re velcome, Caleb.” She snaps in response, her back turned to me.

“I’m sorry.” Stepping out of the tent, I zip it shut, and walk back to my bedroll. Lying down, I curl up on it and drift off into an uneasy sleep.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

JohnCimeno said...
Thank you. I've started reading "A New Era" and I really like what I've seen so far.

Vagabond said...
Sept. 9, 2012 at 10:33 am
Hi! I really loved it!! Please read my book "a new era" and post your comments! :)