Red Flower

Author's note: I wrote this piece for my Sophomore English class a few months ago (In February). My English...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this piece for my Sophomore English class a few months ago (In February). My English teacher was so moved by this piece and I hope you are too.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Purple Sky

Her lower body flopped in the sand as her whole body felt as if it was hit by something. Her left arm shook violently as her eyes slowly opened revealing dark green orbs. Her brown thin eye brows narrowed in confusion as she crinkled her nose. “Where the hell am I?”

With her right hand she dug deep into the beige thick sand, scooping it up she felt familiar warmth that she hasn’t felt in such a long time. Slowly, she let the sand fall through the small gaps separating her fingers and pressed on it gently so it would be compacted evenly with the rest of the sand around her. She did not see the sun in front of her; she didn’t need to, to know that it was there. The sun's rays played with the back of her dark brown hair, it was almost night time. Thinking about the ocean, she pushed her body over, to face the sun.

Taking a deep breath she took in the ocean's salty smell carried by the calm breeze. The breeze was soothing, it tossed her hair from side to side and carried little particles of the ocean with it, splashing her face. She was taken in awe by beauty. The water closer to the shore was crystal blue, while the water closer to the horizon was a dark blue with small highlights of light purple. The sky about was nothing like she had ever seen; it was a light violet with large magenta and deep royal blue clouds that were all spread around the sun. The sun was right at the horizon, meeting the ocean and leaving a long spill of steam and fog. Looking back at the water she felt tempted to go in, she has always wanted to experience the whole meaning of something of its beauty. “Maybe just one dip.” She stood up and her world was spinning. She began to sway a little as her head began to pound as if her head were a steel jail and her brain was a prisoner, trying to get out by punching the walls. A moment later she was able to think and perform her actions again. She dusted the sand off her blue jeans and threw off her low top purple and white sneakers. Without hesitation she bolted off towards the horizon, shut her eyes tight, jumped into the calm waves. She felt warm as the water soaked her. Carefully, she opened her eyes to see hundreds of tropical fish swimming around in the reefs 10 feet below her. It was nothing like she has ever seen. Bright orange with black striped clown fish, light yellow angel fish, and many other bright blue and dark neon purple fish were swimming around, not noticing that she was there. Slowly, large air bubbled began to seep out of her mouth and nose, she was losing oxygen. Feeling the lack of air in her lungs, she closed her eyes and swam swiftly to the surface. Giant air bubbles escaped her thin lips as she swam. “Air! Air!” She threw her head out of the water and gasped for air. The rough wind whipped her face and she noticed that the smell of the air was not the same as the oceans.