Project R.E. | Teen Ink

Project R.E.

June 15, 2012
By Modernization, Orlando, Florida
More by this author
Modernization, Orlando, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't do what you need to..do what you have to." Ever Rivers


Two Years from Present
"Start from the beginning." The officer commanded. Her tone made me wince, furious too, I’m the innocent bystander, as well as the thousands of people that were just like me worldwide; there’s no need to bark like I was an undisciplined dog. I glanced at the insignia on my right wrist, how easy would it be to will it to spark, come alive, and give the strength I need to take her down, plus the Special Task force in each corner of the room, and the two guards outside.
Yet the action would seem desperate, and made suspicion arise around my character. Also who knew if they would treat my friends and family more brutally because of the selfish maneuver that was bubbling in my head right now? So I decided to stay put and just go along with what she asked (or in this case, demand). The best possible solution was telling them everything, who cares if they didn't understand? They weren't supposed to unless they joined us anyway, which only a select amount of people were. Yet even then they can't will themselves to become something...more than human. What I've learned in the last two years is that your body and the world had to decide if you were worthy enough to be special like us.
"Well I could tell you about World War IV and how it was a stalemate and afterwards the Community formed. But you and I already know that, and I was only nine when it happened." I smirked. There were so many details I could recite now that I know the whole entire story.
"But was it true that it started over some missing girl?" The officer asked. So she did know a little on what we told the FBI.
"I'm not going to approve or deny that." I shrugged.
She balled her hands into fists and gripped them so tight that her knuckles turned white. "Why not?" She hissed, showing no care to hide her irritation from me and the guards too shifted their stances, now alert. She had no patience did she? "Well don't you want to know the story of the three girls that started this?" I asked barely hiding the playfulness of my tone. It’s kind of fun seeing her fume up over one statement like that. Surprise slammed into her expressions that shut her up quick, I tried to hide a smirk from satisfaction that she had to sit here and listen to something no one has ever told her.
"Once there were three girls. The oldest noticed there was something different about her appearance, soon the second oldest and youngest girl changed along with the oldest. And they started to make foundations, guidelines and systems; just in case people would become just like them. But one day, the oldest girl went missing, and the world went to war trying to find her, and accused people like us for hiding her away from using her abilities."
The officer's posture relaxed, "People accused you?" She asked, genuinely confused.
"Of course they did, society will always fear and hate what they don't understand." I explained
And to this day, even with people like us walking the same ground when we were average, they treated us like outsiders. Little did they know:
We are saving their lives, every single day.

June 1st, 2032
Present

My body kept getting slammed with pain every time I took a step, especially in my feet. It reminded me of the Hans Christian Anderson story ‘The Little Mermaid’ and how the mermaid traded her tail for human legs, and yet she was condemned to feel like stepping on swords every time she walked on land. Not to mention the fact the rain was absolutely relentless, coming in thick sheets you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face. I’m surprised I didn’t drown from it yet. The blood-
Wait, I drew blood? I scavenged my body to see where it was coming from, my nose, and I hadn’t even noticed until I check my now gray-white shirt, which was soaked with water and a streak of crimson which faded towards my chest. I wiped it to see if the bleeding stopped and it didn’t, it’s pouring out like a faucet. How long has this been going on for? I only had a bag full of spare clothes, some food, and I had to get rid of my shoes because they would get water logged and now I wished I hadn’t. These air train tracks were littered with pieces of jagged rocks and broken glass. I’m pretty sure my feet had at least twenty gashes already, and kept getting slashed. This was my fourth day straight walking; soon I started to forget why I even decided to follow them. I’m not even sure if this route is active anymore. I had to at least try, hopefully I can find the nearest station and board, and hopefully my yearly train pass hasn’t been ruined in the rain. I knew what was happening to me, and the side effects were more severe than I realized. It’s been six months since I noticed weird thing going on. Soon I had to get medical attention for this or else it could get so much worse than what it is now. But how could I have explained my case to a hospital? Would they even treat me? There are so many rumors about whatever this is, no one knew the truth anymore, so they would believe the news, radio personality, Internet, would say. Some call it the worst terminal illness since cancer. Some call it the “Disappearing Virus.” I didn’t have a name for it and I wasn’t going to believe whatever someone said they heard from someone else. I may be desperate for an answer, but I’m not stupid. Maybe if I find a little bit of shelter, I can find the answer on my own. If there is a place I can stay, yet the only thing I could see was the rocky, sandy bank below me if I focused hard enough. But my vision was fading in and out to gray and blurs of white. Blood loss, my nose hasn’t plugged up yet.
And that’s when I started to panic. There was nowhere to go, or stay, my feet were on autopilot and I couldn’t stop. My chest started to feel bruised as well as my eyes when I blink. My knees were collapsing from trying to hold all my weight up. Keep going, keep going, and keep going. There’s no stopping now. I felt a rumble in the ground, and in the air. Could it be? I turned my head around, which was stiff from looking down so much. I forced my muscles to cooperate. Train headlights! The tracks were active! It treaded through the water, a little slowly than usual, because it’s was so high up it covered them. If there was energy left in me, I summoned it and started to run, the water was going to shallow out where I was, then it’ll bullet pass. And I tried not to think on how long I would have to walk and wait for another to come. The ache in my body turned to a burn, like alcohol, I bit my lip from screaming or collapsing from pain. This was it, I had to hop on or I’ll just get worse. I’d be left here alone in No Man’s Land. I refuse to let it end this way. I’ve always been taught to push myself until there was nothing left to push. Time to put it to the test, besides, who cares how much it hurt to move right now? I broke into a sprint right after the caboose, barely visible. All air trains had a back balcony, the one traditional thing they decided to keep in the design. A lucky break for me, just as it was in sight, I willed my arms to throw my bag over the railing, it barely made it because of the slippery floor. I was taking too long to react; it started to pick up speed. I grabbed onto the railing, swung my feet and body over, and landed face first into the floor. Since there was a safety guard made of plexi- glass, I could see straight through it, if I decided to take a rest, my arms or feet wouldn’t be dangling off the edge. Unfortunately I couldn’t celebrate long enough, soon after I gave out the small amount of contents in my stomach over the balcony, which was laced in crimson as well as what was running from my nose and down my shirt, feet too. I crumpled on the floor, feeling how bad my legs were swollen and numb. The rain, instead of it being a nuisance seemed to provide comfort now; filling my body with a cool numbing sensation which kept being rejuvenated every time it hit my skin it drove the intense pain away. Soon it became too much for my brain to handle, made me lightheaded and dizzy. Either my vision was playing tricks on me due to the fact my brain’s turning to mush because of the blood loss, or I really was seeing someone running after the train, just as I have. A young girl with pale features and a graceful figure, unlike me, she had no trouble keeping up with the trains speed. I tried to focus on her face. That much of my sensory functions were still working. Her lovely features were warped in worry or concern. Was someone she knew on this train, someone who shouldn’t be on it? It appeared she was trying to grab onto the railing. I tried to stretch my body to grab the rail, and pull myself off the ground to help her, but I doubled over as if someone had dug a knife in it and twisted it in deeper. I slid into a fetal position, like an outside force could protect me from internal pain.
“Sorry.” I mumbled, feeling my speech slur and stutter. Soon the pale girl ran out of breath and started to lose her running rhythm. Then she slowly became part of the gray and white scenery. But before she disappeared, she reached her arms out hands open, as if to stop something and I could’ve sworn she yelled “Wait!” her voice wrecked with fear and desperation. Someone must be really important on here that she wanted to see. And why wasn’t she on here, with the person or people, she’s left alone? What a rotten thing to do to a kid…
My subconscious shut me out and everything turned black. Who knew what to call this a void of space, empty air? All I knew was I’m surrounded by white and just drifting in it. Oddly enough, this was easy to navigate in. But where was there to go?
“I told you to wait.” A voice said, seeming nowhere and everywhere. In my peripheral vision I saw a shimmer in the air. My limbs seemed less stiff with pain here, then again I wasn’t even operating on my body, and I’m operating with my mind. I recognized the voice almost immediately.
“It’s a one-way train, I think. But I really did wish I could stop it. You seemed worried about who was on board.” I said, surprised I even spoke. The young girl didn’t seem so young anymore. She had shy bangs to hide her eyes, which were wide, deep slate-like gray, unlike her skin, and hair. She blended almost perfectly in white. The only thing I could see was her crème colored hair. She seemed to develop a light and wind of her own, more ghost-like than a couple of hours ago. Now she didn’t seem real at all.
“Yeah, you.” She said simply. Crossing her arms and looking me square in the eyes, which shimmered kind of like how the sunlight shines on the water.
“Me?” I was taken aback, how could she see me, the safe guard was only visible from the inside of the caboose.
“Of course, who do you think I was running after the train for?” she asked rhetorically, like the train was vacant except for me.
“Do I know you?” I asked, maybe she must have me mistaken me for someone else. Because I have never seen her before, a person with this much…light; you could never forget, even if you repressed your memories.
“No.” She shook her head slowly and gave a small sad, shy smile.
“Well, will I get to?” I asked, reeling back, what did I just say? There’s no connection between her and I, you can’t make an association from a three minute glance from a great distance.
“Probably not.” She looked down at the bareness beneath us. I’m never the one to ask this many questions. So this was a special occasion. I didn’t know if she’s a figure of my hallucination, imagination, or someone real who can enter my subconscious like that really old movie Inception. Her outline came into focus and she wasn’t just lovely, she was absolutely gorgeous, it made my head throb.
“Tea, I think you should wake up. Welcome to the world.” She waved goodbye and whatever it was above me shattered and I went black again. Soon I was alone in a black bareness than a white, there were stars, so many stars, so many I couldn’t believe that it was possible, they created a light that couldn’t even compare to the sun. It created a cool, crisp scent, like a summer’s rain mixed with sunshine. After a while, they started to fall down. Something as incredible as this could only be seen through Hubble Space Telescope, at least that’s what my high school history teacher told me. Some stars would hit each other and make little clinking sounds, like a spoon when it hits glass; music, a symphony of stars.
“How can you tell if she’s awake or not?” A person asked, far away.
“If you could read the graph it obviously says her brainwaves are returning to normal. Plus color is coming back into her face.” A girl said sassily, stomping away.
“Well I do have to admit she looks ten times better than when she did when we found her. But we still didn’t figure out how she got on the train.” Another girl said.
“She must’ve hopped on when we were in the Branched Islands, remember how bad the rain was over there, her clothes were drenched.”
“She had to know what was happening, so why didn’t she get help?” A guy asked.
“Maybe where she was from they don’t know what the Community is, there are still places like that out and about.” A girl replied.
“Right.” A group said in unison.
“But Danni, aren’t you the slightest bit worried? She’s been out cold for two weeks straight.” Another guy asked.
“Bren, this girl had been walking along those tracks for four days straight. Her body is trying to recuperate by sleeping nonstop like this.” The girl, Danni said.
“When do you think she will wake up?” One girl asked.
“Look Rae you’re just as curious as I am but you can’t rush transformation.” Danni said.
There was silence for a really long time; perhaps they left the room without a sound. But it gave me time to figure out how to break this barrier. Keeping my eyes open is one thing, opening them is a whole different story. How thick is this wall? I wonder. Who were all those people? I had to get out of here, if they did leave, then I have to hurry, fully wake up and get out. Fifteen minutes of struggle and my eyes finally burst open; there was barely any light in here. Maybe they really did leave me alone. I looked at my arms; the bruises were completely gone and didn’t feel sore at all, an IV line was attached dripping an anesthetic, a heart monitor, and adhesive tabs on my temples linked to some machine, when I noticed the screen of them, they all had a little alarm icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. In other words, if any of this was detached from me: An alarm would sound; so much for a quick and quiet escape. I heard mumbling in the other room, and an array of footsteps. Should I pretend to be out cold still? Or should I just face them head on and demand answers?
“Could you just relax, she won’t wake up right at this moment.” Danni said, opening the door. The lights came on, and it burned to keep my eyes open, but it seemed more fearful than fearless attempt to do so. The group ascended in a gasp, when laying eyes on me. Some were wearing a full jumpsuit in different colors, others just regular clothes.
“You were saying, Danni?” The girl which I now figured as Rae said sticking her tongue out, “Bren, pay up, I told you Danni would be wrong.” She held out her semi-gloved hand. A boy threw her a couple of bills reluctantly. “How long have you been up for?’ Danni asked, her eyes such a light green they looked fluorescent, shimmered with questions. Words refused to leave my voice box so I sat there, clenching the bed sheets, trembling.
“Well you’re in Luea, and I’m Danni Corsoft, chief medical officer of the Community.” She offered her hand, which I cautiously took, and snapping it back, feeling a static shock from her. She flinched a bit from the pain, perhaps it’s more an intense on her end.
“I’m Rae Hallowai. Plus, call Danni, Dania. She loves it.” Rae, waved her semi gloved hand politely from a distance, and gave a small smile, wearing a full body suit the color navy just like her eyes, and a bow to match holding a strand of her light brown hair back. Danni gave her an annoyed look.
“Bren Colorro.” The guy said simply raising his head up in greeting, his messy hair fell goofily when he did this, wearing a similar suit as Rae. He had broader shoulders than the rest of the group.
“I’m Arianne Veyron.” A mahogany haired girl smiled, her eyes reminded me of coal from a fireplace, but a bit edgy. She was smaller than the rest of them, and looked younger too, but there’s something in there that was….unforgiving.
“I’m Present Danhart.” A beautiful girl with long blonde hair that cascaded in waves and chocolate brown eyes, her suit was a little more open towards her chest, and she’s not afraid to show whatever she had. A confident girl who shows her naked face and still has boys and men lining up to just take a look at her.
“And I’m Josh Gardner.” A really handsome brunette said, his eyes were extremely bright blue like ice, yet it suited him well. A gentle demeanor, someone you really couldn’t be a rival with. All of these people were open book faces, telling their personalities. Easy to read totally harmless, but perhaps there is more to them than what their faces lead on?
“Mind telling us your name?” Arianne asked gently, taking steps towards the bed.
“Tea, Velucci.” I whispered.
“Well Tea, do you remember anything from when you got here, anything at all?” Rae asked, handing me a bottle of water, which I thanked her for.
Danni slapped her in the arm, “I’m the one who’s supposed to be asking all those questions, stick to what you’re good at.” She sneered.
“No, no, she’s alright. I remember walking for a really long time, bruised and bleeding like crazy, I remember rain, the train’s headlights, and climbing on board.” Wow, someone opened up my mind and mouth and out came this information? Yet, I left out the dream, something told me to keep that to myself. Besides if I did tell them would they just write it off as some weird illusion, nothing more? Maybe it was a dream, who knew? I’m actually surprised I remember any of this. Could there be an exception to this then, or maybe what was dripping form the IV line was helping with the pain and helping me remember. Instincts are telling me trust these people. And this wasn’t the meds talking; they saw me on the train and were kind enough to take care of me. Some people would’ve just figured I was homeless or a drunk, and would’ve left me there. If that was the case then I would’ve died on that train, without ever knowing what fully happened to me to make me feel so sick. I shivered at the thought, I looked at all the people who were talking, yet I couldn’t hear their voices. From the body language and smiles, I could tell they knew each other for a very long time. Danni’s eyes widened in surprise, she tapped on her chin and paced around a bit. The others looked at her questionably.
“The only thing in those IV bags is morphine and vitamins. How can you remember something from two weeks ago when you’re body was almost in a coma? It could be a lucky coincidence, I suppose”
“Or you’re just really good at what you do.” I mumbled. Danni heard and gave a smirk.
“So,” Bren clapped his hands “do, the Twins still make house calls?”
“Seriously? Let Tea get back on her feet first!” Present exclaimed, slapping him upside the head, it sounded like it hurt.
“What in God’s name are you guys talking about, Transitioning, twin house calls? “I blurted out, but covered my mouth with my hands because it sounded extremely rude. They all looked at me in awe, shock, and who knows what else. Soon they all inconspicuously grouped together and started whispering. I just sat there twiddling my thumbs; there was nothing else to do, really. Maybe what I now knew was Present said about where I’m from not knowing about this so called ‘Community’. In fact, there’s wasn’t any mention of it, on tablet news, television or radio broadcasts. The place where I came from wasn’t exactly small, who knows? Maybe they censored the information, but why would they do that? I’m pretty sure the freedom of press law was still in effect. Since so many laws have changed over the last twenty years. Being born during the year of the supposed Mayan Apocalypse, I really didn’t remember much. My family said that I was born under the jurisdiction of the first African American president in history, and I was being raised during the Warming. Everyone predicted that my future wouldn’t be so bright. In many ways they were wrong. I saw the Flora and Fauna Act passed. It stated that there was going to be no more production of plastic, or fossil fuel materials, and no more cutting down the rainforest or endangered trees. Everything was all biodegradable, and sleek. Cars had to be reinvented from scratch, and run on water, electricity, and air. Nuclear power plants were shut down, as well as the coal factories. There were various sections of the world where you couldn’t develop businesses or residents. You had to plant and nurture more trees than you cut down. The world was even now, fifty percent nature, fifty percent cities, seventy percent water. The way it always should have been from the start.
“You seriously don’t know about the Community, Transitioning…nothing?” Bren rolled out the last word, now I just felt stupid, more than I did when I woke up. I reluctantly shook my head. Rae made a click with her tongue, a gesture of disappointment. Present and Danni looked at each other, smirked and nodded their heads.
“Well it’s time to introduce you to the Community,” Present curtseyed and grinned “should we start by the passing of the Flora and Fauna Act?” Present asked the others, which they all nodded in agreement.
“Twelve years ago, an act was passed to stop basically all things that would harm the environment in hope to reverse the Greenhouse Effect. The Act was a success.” Present explained.
“Soon after, people started feeling sick and the top environmentalists and doctors said there was an airborne genome passing to select people for ‘unforeseen circumstances.’ People started to wonder what it was and if they should be afraid of it. A girl who we still don’t know her name even as of today explained what was happening, created , and presented the foundations, guidelines, and explained the development system to what she called ‘the Community.’ Since she believed it’s not a one-person experience. One day, a war broke out trying to collect Community members and to autopsy them for further research. Many said it was for the good of the world, others called it murder. That was the start of World War IV.” Arianne said.
“Three years later, it ended in a stalemate and three people were given the reigns for the Community worldwide, they uphold the guidelines the girl created.”
“And we are members of the Community, and you are too now.” Josh said, warmly.
No wonder I never heard about this, everyone who was a drifter had said something controversial was going on, that people were dying. My town was afraid of what they couldn’t understand. So they decided not to show us anything about the matter at all. Yet the action seems so naïve, someone had to have changed into a Community member, what would they do? Just leave them to die because of fear and negligence?
That’s what would’ve happened to me if I stayed in Vero. I repressed the thought, I’m alive but…
“How can you tell the difference between regular people and, you guys?” I asked, looking at them carefully. They didn’t seem different from anyone else from a glance.
“Eye color, it’s different, you could tell something was odd about the hue right off the bat, no?” Danni said, pointing to her fluorescent green eyes. I nodded. “Actually your eyes are probably the prettiest I’ve ever seen, there are so many colors.” Arianne said, staring into them, mesmerized.
“Ari, how would she know? She hasn’t seen them, Danni; you have a mirror don’t you? Let her have a look.” Josh insisted. I wanted to say I’d rather not know, but he was the only one holding his tongue and not getting excited about this history lesson. Could it be because there’s something he’s holding back last? That made me feel less exasperated then I did moments before, only enough to see what they meant about my now ‘pretty’ eyes. A rectangular piece of glass came to my fingertips moments later. God knows why I trembled touching it, considering the fact that I wanted them to be wrong. That I wasn’t someone different, that all the ruin, sickness, and semi-madness are just all of my weaknesses leaving my body; and ultimately the world. How can some political attempt at Earth restoration have effect on someone’s health? I never really liked change, it turned people into something they should never be, turned them into monsters of their former self. And I’m just a canary in a cage full of cats, avoiding every pass to eat me alive. Did a cat finally take me away, is that what’s going on? I finally lost the war? Suppose there’s no other choice. I had to see the remains.
I brought the mirror up to my face and almost dropped it in shock. Arianne’s right about the colors, yet complimenting them and calling them pretty? It was so bright and vivid and if you focused hard enough, they colors seem to swirl right before you. And there were so many of them, green, blue, gold, and little flecks of violet and gold here and there; just like an opal. My skin had his dewy tone to it, like I was one of the few people who drink eight ounces of water daily since I was three. My lashes were a bit longer, eyebrows seemed more full and youthful, my lips were a pale pink, but the little dark spot I’ve had since I was five was still there on the bottom lip. Hair smooth shiny, and the natural auburn highlights were a bit brought out. It looked like me, yet blinking a few times the person staring back from the reflective glass looked serene, ethereal, everything I wasn’t two weeks ago. Even the dark circles under my eyes were almost invisible.
“Wow…” I breathed, they were right, the cat ate the canary, but it flew back out of the mouth as a hummingbird, and an iridescent one at that. All this came to be in two weeks?
“Crazy huh?” Present whistled.
“Insane is a better word.” I replied back.
“Maybe we should call the Twins. We don’t have that ability like they do. Maybe they’ll make an exception if we explain how unique of a situation this is.” Danni said.
“Present is right, I would like to get back on my feet first. Then I could just go to them. And I could get my belongings from Vero…” I spaced off. “Wait, you want to go back to Vero?” Josh asked. “Absolutely not,” I snapped, “I just need to get more clothes, and stuff, maybe I could find somewhere to live in Luea. I don’t know…” Hoping my house wasn’t broken into and looted into; I wanted to leave Vero behind as soon as possible. Now that finishing my funds for Music College was blown out of the water, the town had nothing left to offer me that was beneficial to my wallet (and mental health.)
Rae snapped her fingers, “I know someone who can help with a living situation in the Mauna District. And it’s not that far from Command, it’s perfect!” Rae exclaimed. Arianne arched her eyebrow and her eyes went wide in surprise, yet it was a good surprise, she smiled and pulled out a small headset from the pocket of her jeans, calling someone.
“Bren, Josh, could you help Tea up and out of bed?” Danni asked politely. Not blushing proved futile, what she’s doing is perfectly sensible but the action still seemed embarrassing (at least to any self-reliant woman really). With no hospital gown that opened in the back, I didn’t have to do any tricks for preventing my panties from showing. My legs planted firmly on the wood floor, I wriggled my toes around on the hardwood floor. Bren and Josh were holding my arms and hands firmly, like giving aid and support for an old lady. I took a wobbly first step, didn’t fall, and the rest were the same as well. I smiled in delight. Tea was back (sort of).
“You were right Josh; those vitamins did do the trick.” Danni said a smile in her voice.
“Lucky guess, that was all.” He chuckled nervously. Soon he let go, Bren did also and I was walking around the lofty apartment, all the furniture was the color sepia. This reminded me of the earth so much. The room was warm, everything felt that way. “Who exactly are the Twins?” I asked, feeling a bit confident that I wasn’t looking like a hospital patient.
“Their names are Serah and Senna. Two identical twins that have the ability to tell your Connection” Arianne said, taking the headpiece away from her ear. Josh gave her a foreboding look. She scratched the back of her head. “Oh right we didn’t discuss that either.” Present rolled her eyes in disappointment and elbowed Josh in the side, seemed like he got the wind knocked out of him. “Well your Connection essentially is what you’re bound to, what comes to you instinctually. Fiction books would call it ‘powers’ but we just like to believe the world is trying to keep it’s fifty-fifty state intact for a very long time and left us in charge by giving us three classifications for a Connection. An Artificial like Rae and Bren, they handle math, science, mechanics, and calculations. Rae handles battle tactics and procedures; Bren is good with long-distance weaponry. Next is your Flux, like me,” Josh pointed to himself, “Community members with heightened intuition, to sum it all up your psychics.” He took a nearby chair and glanced at it, it shook from its bearings and slide across the room towards Danni. “Then you have your Naturals which is the most diverse group in the entire Community. You’re more aware of your surroundings and the skills you had beforehand are heightened infinitely. Like Danni who’s really good in the medical field, came to be chief medical officer for us and world-wide. One guy I know can understand and speak over 60 languages and it only took him a week. Then there’s the extremely talented Naturals that can control their adrenaline rushes and can run at incredible speeds and lift things seven times their size like Present, some can even control and influence elements or forces of nature like Arianne.” She shook her head no for giving a demonstration.
“It’s better if you experience in not such a…closed environment.” She explained. Present agreed with her notion as well. It made me tremble in fear, tiny frames packing that much power.
“If your Connection is powerful or prestigious, you have the option to enroll in a special task force called the Superior Guard, like Bren, Josh, Rae and Present. That’s why they have those suits, required uniform.” Danni explained.
“And the Superiors are the three heads of the entire Community. Which you might meet when the time calls for it.” Present said, adjusting the embroidery design of her suit.
“Don’t you think I should meet them?” I asked tugging the huge tunic that went all the way down to my legs. “Don’t see why not, we all have to go to Command anyway. We could take you to the Navel District and present you ourselves,” Josh said, “I know you guys were thinking the exact same thing. “We do have to return in the reports from Tokyo…”
“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s get to it.” Arianne said with enthusiasm.
“Tea, catch.” Present threw me a pair of clean clothes, a long white T-shirt with a jagged black design that reminded me of a lightning bolt from the edge of the seam off the bottom all the way to my right side of my rib, with black leggings with zippers near the ankles, and boots to match.
“So…off to see the wizards?” Bren asked, somewhat in a sing-song tone, couldn’t really tell because his voice was so deep it just sounded like he was saying it in a rhythm; it even surprised me he knew the Wizard of Oz. A grin stretched my lips in excitement and awe. Bubbles of movement came through the bones of my fingers. Josh caught sight of this and smiled at me, Rae did as well. Arianne’s tapping on the table reminded me of the slow steady rhythm of a march, or the secondhand ticking of those old grandfather clocks. It didn’t really fit well with the anticipation rippling through. Soon, Danni whistled the tune, more melodically than Bren, and grabbed a set of badges, for a car, since keys were obsolete now.
“Yep, time for a road trip.” She said, and walked out of her house, without even looking back.

We took a sedan for two hours north to what they called the Navel District, otherwise known as the Community’s Command post. My hands started to develop a tremor from bottled up anxiety. The Twins, Superiors, the first impression, how would the Connection be interpreted, what would I be? These questions were swirling around my head for the next 120 minutes. What surprised me was that Arianne and her tiny stature is what’s trusted when it came to the vehicle. I was wondering if her eyes even passed the gauge. But of course the seat, acceleration and brake pedals were adjustable. I looked out the window frequently to see what we were passing, plus there was a hum of music on the radio, no one spoke two words for an hour. The silence outside caused the noise inside my head to increase in dynamic, like a crescendo, or two storm clouds hitting each other and creating a cacophony of rumble. It rang in my ears continuously, there’s no end to it. I wanted to block it out, putting my hands over them would seem odd to the others. I earned their trust; I don’t want to start acting crazy now, besides I thought the crazy days were over. What could be occurring now? Excitement died down quickly, environment tense. Everyone else seemed cool and indifferent, opposite demeanor when we were still at Danni’s apartment. Josh and I were making a conversation based on eye contact and expressions. Just asking simple questions to pass time, he’s actually really good at it, maybe it’s an attribute of being a, a, what did he call it? A Flux, would I become one? Probably not, being socially… inadequate automatically counted me out. An Artificial, perhaps, perhaps not. Natural, who really knew at this point?
“Hey there’s the first sign into the District, look.” Danni pointed out the passenger window. I craned my neck to see a tall TV displaying how many miles until we’ve reached Navel. Only fifteen now, speed limit rushed in about seventy, and Arianne punched the acceleration. Everyone’s chest banged against the back of the seat. “Whoa, Ari, easy on the engine.” Josh warned. Arianne scoffed, “Please, we’re fine.” She reassured, taking smooth turns. Rae gave a smirk “That’s Arianne for you.” She shrugged. Arianne gave a little laugh and pulled another corner. Soon buildings were sprouting out from the mangrove trees, actually some of the tress were incorporated in the buildings designs. Palm trees as well. I guess the Act had influenced some architects to use nature’s comeback in everything. They never really showed this kind of beauty in Vero, in fact, I’m starting to believe no other place could display creativity like this as well as Navel. People looked the same, but you could tell who was in the Superior Guards due to the special suits, but they were meshing with normal people just fine, some were even regarding each other, making conversations. I’m amazed by this common polite gesture. People would’ve sneered or snapped their head away at home. Two hours really can make a difference in manners. The buildings grew taller, grander the deeper we went into the District. I felt like a kid inside of a theme park. Each skyscraper seemed like a rollercoaster or a ride I could go on. I refrained myself from getting such a close look my nose would be pressed up against the glass. We came to a cylinder shaped skyscraper that’s completely covered in windows, even an elevator was completely made of glass, while people watched the skyline grow smaller as they traveled to the upper levels. This is where the car pulled to a stop, in command of a male Superior Guard. Arianne rolled down the window and gave a dazzling smile. His eyes widened and delivered the same smile back.
“Welcome back, here to return your reports?” He asked.
“Actually, we’ve got someone here who needs to see the fabulous three plus the Twins. You think they’re too busy to make an opening for us?” Arianne tilted her head and gave a questionable pout. The Guard blushed and laughed. “When they know it’s you guys, I’m sure they’ll make an exception. C’mon, I’ll send someone to park your car and an escort up to their office.”
“Neil, you are magic.” She beamed. He went a bright shade of red, and motioned for us to get out.
“Your legs haven’t given out yet have they?” Josh murmured into my ear. I shook my head, which made him give a lopsided smile. He helped me out anyway if they were functioning or not. First thing I did was look around me; the sky seemed to be pushing the storm away still. Way far west, so patches of dark clouds and sunshine peeked through, making what I guess was the Command building glow like it’s the holy grail of the District, and the other surrounding Luea. I smoothed out my new (but still borrowed) clothes. I looked at the Guard, Neil whose bright crimson color faded when his gaze met my face, wait, was there something there? A sneaky blemish, freckle, what is he looking at?
“Is that the person who needs to see them?” He asked, he gave Arianne a hard look “You know you have to make an appointment or even call beforehand to say so. This girl is brand new isn’t she?” Arianne chuckled nervously and rocked on her heels.
“Neil, this is an emergency. What she’s been through needs to be investigated. We can’t be held up now.” Present explained harshly. Neil gave a long sigh and whistled for another Guard to take the car into a vast parking garage.
“You radioed?” A voice asked. I turned around to see a girl probably a little older than me, suited up with a Guard uniform the only difference with hers is that she had some sort of mechanical leg braces that made her hover lowly to the ground. She had tousled pixie-cut hair that framed her heart shaped face well. Her eyes were all these mixes of brown they reminded me of a chocolate box arrangement you’d see in those fancy stores.
“Yeah, Skailar, you think you could take these guys upstairs?” She gave a sideways glance at everyone, “Sure,” she replied “this way.” She directed us to a walk-up ramp that leads to double glass automatic doors. Skating past us with ease, with a fast momentum, keeping her distance, her head hung down. Present and Danni exchanged worried glances, Present pointed to her herself then motioned toward Skailar, Danni nodded. She quickened her pace to catch up and they started a hushed conversation which no one could hear. We went through what looked like a lobby with an oval shaped desk with a hectic receptionist working busily on phone calls and computer. With display windows moving in jerky circular motions, probably controlled by her hand movements, switching back and forth to different information each time; moving at an incredible speed. Skailar motioned for us to stop; she cleared her throat, then again, then a third time. She mumbled something under her breath, a curse it sounded like. And kicked the desk hard, which jerked the screens in a completely opposite direction than what the receptionist was working with. She snapped up and looked around to see who did it Present pointed to Skailar who raised her eyebrows once. She had a shocked look on her face and waved her hand, opening a set of elevator doors on the other side of the lobby and mumbled an apology before getting back to work. The suits attachable shoes, I’ve found out have small heels for the girls. The soles looked like a metal alloy of some sort and it clacked on the marble floor, all the way into the elevator, even inside it because the elevator’s floor was marble, yet it didn’t look like the one I saw outside. This one had sleek silver panels, Present gripped onto Skailar shoulder, “Just try again, I’m sure you’ll be permitted next time.” She said quietly.
“Honestly, I really don’t mind this; it makes me stand out a bit from the others. At least they still let me pilot the Drone.” Skailar said happily. Present wasn’t so convinced “Are you absolutely sure? If I get Chris and Nathalie involved, Ellie wouldn’t even think of declining your new legs.” Skailar gave a humble smile. “I really don’t mind waiting, I’m sure they can do something else for me. I just can’t stand the thought of getting used to prosthetics instead of my own legs and feet. That’s why they made these for me.” She pointed to the leg braces with had two alloyed wings on each side, for balance. Numbers raced by on floors, 13, 19.
“So, what brings you?” Skailar asked, turning her head towards me, eyes full of curiosity.
“Classification.” I stuttered. Her eyes brightened. “Seriously, lemme get a better look.” She twirled around and looked me square in the eye. I delivered the same look back. She scanned every inch of my face. She whistled, “You sure are different, and I’ve seen a lot of newcomers.”
“So everyone says.” I replied nervously. “I bet you’re gonna be a Natural.” She said. “What did you just say?” Rae asked offended disgusted even, “I think she’s gonna be an Artificial.”
“No way, no one in our Classification has those eyes. Tea’s a Natural no question about it.” Bren argued. “What about a Flux?” Arianne suggested. Everyone rigorously shook their head. Looks like they were as clueless as I was when it came to what’s store for me here. Josh elbowed me in the ribs gently, “Relax your stance, everything’s going to be fine.” He reassured. I tried wriggling out of my stiff posture, but it seemed glued into my frame. First thing those people were going to see is how apprehensive I am to this whole idea of a different life, and perspective, now that I’m a Community member. I internally groaned I am going to make this meeting a nightmare; I could feel it in my gut. The elevators doors signal we are arriving at the destined floor. Skailar led onto a vast hallway full of passages from classic books, and paintings. Marble floor was now ebony with flecks on quartz crystal. I’ve seen this before
The falling stars in the dream I had…A silver of white rushed past inside the marble, I could make out little wisps of hair and laughter, a kind of laugh a child gives when they know they are doing something mischievous. The girl, she’s here, how did she find us? I wasn’t dreaming, I even felt the warmth her light brought, it radiated within the soles of my shoes. Her presence’s here, or is she here herself? Focusing on the floor to see if there would be any other anomaly I would catch that she brought. And how come no one else’s is seeing it? Didn’t they hear the laughter, the gentle warm breeze? I shifted my eyes around to see if anything about the others stance or expression changed. Nothing, not even a twitch, maybe it’s just me being anxious that I’m starting to see things. We stopped in front of a set of heavy French doors; Skailar tried grabbing both handles but couldn’t let them depart the entire way. No one bothered to help; I shoved Josh and Rae out of my path and went straight for her. I opened the door on her opposite side since she couldn’t reach. She gave a hard look, full of independence and embarrassment. “I understand,” I said, “but if you want, this’ll be the first and only time I’ll help you.” Her eyes widened, and she gave a smile, one that made your eyes squint because your cheekbones are raised so high. “Yeah, you are different.” She chuckled, and she swung her portion of the door open, as did I. Cool air rushed out from the wide chamber-like space, sending our hair gently flying, and our clothes becoming a bit displaced. Skailar gave us a gesture to stay out here and rushed passed us into the chamber.
“Sorry to disturb, but there’s someone I think you all should see. You guys can come in now.” Present went first, Rae, Bren, Arianne, then Josh and I. When a figure turned around, I wish I never stepped through that hallway; I wanted to scream, run back downstairs.
My best friend, my confidante, my hope, my protection, the person I cared for most in this world and probably the next. His shaggy black hair, his exceedingly bright hazel eyes, his long, but lean muscular build, stood there in a corner of the chamber; with a tablet in his hands, But when laying eyes on me, he dropped it, and the glass shattered into a million pieces, right on the pristine floor. I suffocated myself from not screaming, running to him, and wanting to embrace him, or claw at his skin. It’s been a year since I’ve last seen his face. His skin grew incredibly pale and had an olive tone to it; he looked… barely hanging on, now that he saw me.
“Is this a joke?” He hissed, looking enraged, directing it at Skailar. She barred her teeth, ready for a fight.
“A…joke?” My throat closed up, my nails were digging into the leggings, tearing the fabric. “You think they’re laughing? You think I’m laughing?” I cried. “You-you…” I couldn’t find the words; I couldn’t wake from this nightmare. I thought he was, dead, living under a bridge somewhere, I even wished those things upon him. Anything but looking at me, with a fire in his eyes, a dare to finish my sentence.
“I what?” He mocked. Something inside me snapped. Whoever this person was, it wasn’t Dalton, whoever it was, I begged for him back. That way he would be running into my arms. After a few moments, I knew my plea wouldn’t be answered. He was lost to me; 365 days transformed him into a monster. I’m reminded why I feared change so much; it turned people like him. “YOU ABANDONED ME!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, with Bren and Present holding me back, I scratched at their arms to let go. I wanted to hear his screams, not my own. My legs and arms flailing around to find a weak point in the barrier that’s their two arms. I developed a metallic taste on my tongue, my blood burned like alcohol again, and this time to propel forward to my target.
“I did not! I had to leave, what else could I have done?” He screamed right back.
“You could’ve told me!” I cried.
“That’s quite enough!” Someone snapped, the clear voice echoed, while the rest of us silenced ourselves. It came from a girl, with hair the color of champagne, falling on her collar bone in a ribbon of waves. Her skin like snow, but her eyes a deep set of blue, like Rae’s. There was something stunning about her, like she was heightened by the promises of life, a special secret she knew about succeeding that she never dared to tell anyone else. Her face looked serene, yet her eye brows furrowed, giving off an edge to her features. An expression that could strike down anyone in a heartbeat. My breath caught, I straightened my posture, but Bren and Present still had a hold on me. That must be one of the Superiors.
“You surely made an introduction.” She scoffed at Dalton, and spun her head towards me. Straightening out the collar of her sweater that fell limply to one side, showing the slope of her right shoulder; do I dare speak back?
“I’m so, so sorry….” I said quietly.
“Apology, accepted.” She gave a strong smile. “So Skailar, why do you think we need to see her?” The girl asked. “Well, Ellie, I thought it’d be best if you witnessed the Classification process for her in particular. She seems…different.” Skailar explained hesitantly.
“Tell me, were you born during the Warming?” she asked, heading toward a large palace like throne, she took the middle seat, looking at all of us, like the queen she appeared to be, the queen she is. “Yes, I was.” I said simply. She contemplated this for a few moments. And turned her head towards another set of doors which came out three other girls and a man. The other girl took her place to the right of Ellie, the man the left. The other two girls stood on both sides of Ellie’s throne.
“Tea, these are the Superiors of the Community. Ellie, Shaylin and Alezander.” Skailar presented. The girl Shaylin had jet-black hair, silky smooth. Almond skin, she looked Polynesian or she descended from a Pacific Island. Just like Ellie, Shaylin was stunning, an ethereal quality that surrounded her, with an intimidating smirk on her face, she could strike us down as well it seemed like. Shaylin’s the girl you could never touch, even if you tried your heart out. With graceful, nimble body and facial features, it only amplified the feeling she was untouchable.
Alezander’s a strong looking man; everything about him seemed it was made of steel. Like Superman, he looked like he could support and protect rather than destroy like the nimble bodied females that he sat alongside with. With his charming looks, he could fool anyone. The other two girls must have been the Twins. They were nothing alike whatsoever, one had pale blonde hair in a plaited braid, somewhat sun kissed skin and blood orange eyes. She had a simple dress that was a cream color, and little strappy sandals. The other had ebony hair, pulled sleekly back in a ponytail; she had a low hanging white tank top showing off more than her chest, a motorcycle jacket, cut-off shorts that showed her toned legs and cowboy boots. Her eyes were blue with little flecks of black in them. While the paler twin stood politely in place, clutching her shoulder bag, the other swung her hip to one side and rested her hand there, waiting for instruction.
“Should I ask the questions this time, or do you want to do it?” The pale twin asked, looking at her other half.
“Well you wanted to ask them the next time a newcomer came in, so, go for it.” The darker twin said, reached inside the others handbag and pulled out a sketchpad, with a huge array of colored pencils. Senna looked around the chamber; she pointed a rosy pink colored pencil at me. “You’re the newbie right?”
“Senna could you be a little more…warming when it comes to your greeting? Honestly…”Present scolded, and Senna gave a scowl in reply. “Not in my nature.” She said bluntly and looked at me, waiting for answer.
“Yeah.”
She gave out a long sigh, “Okay, so my sister here is going to ask you a variety of questions. Please answer them honestly because it’ll make our jobs so much less difficult, ‘kay?” I nodded in agreement. Serah walked a few steps towards us to get a better look at us.
“How long was your Transition?” She asked her voice barely above a whisper and airy, it scared the living wits out of me.
“About six months.” As soon as I answered, Senna started to draw.
“On the last four days, did the pain get worse?”
“Immensely.”
“Was there anything that seemed odd in your surroundings when you Transitioned?”
“Vivid dreams, the rain, and air seemed different. That’s all I could really say.” I shrugged.
Senna switched pencils while I stood there for an hour answering Serah’s entire array questions as best I could. She tried to keep a collected face, but her demeanor cracked underneath, I could see it. Senna walked over and showed them her sketchpad. They both stared at it in shock, fear, confusion.
“It’s blank, there’s nothing inside it. How is that even…did we miss something?” Serah shook inside her own two sandals, hands trembling, while Senna kept the sketchpad steady to take a better look.
“No way, you asked everything. Tea you did answer honestly right?” Senna asked.
“Of course, why wouldn’t I?”
“What about having the Rune canvas present when we do the Q&A? Sometimes it works when the drawing says nothing.” Senna suggested. Serah’s eyes widened in determination, and nodded solemnly once. They both put one hand, but different from the other to their chest and the lights flickered off. The walls came alive in their own golden glow, and it came outside into the air as streams which raced past us and behind the Twins. Ellie, Shaylin and Alezander watched intently as a golden ring formed inches away from their faces. Serah did the Q&A with me again, as this went on the ring changed from gold, to teal, and started to develop a swirling, symmetrical pattern with jagged ending lines. When the questioning was over, they still looked confused.
“What is that?” Senna spat out, scratching her head, pacing back and forth, looking at it. “Weird pattern, haven’t seen anything like it.” Danni said, tilting her head to both sides.
“You haven’t seen anything like it because it’s not a normal pattern at all!” Serah snapped, “An eight-pointed star, flower…thing? It has to be a mistake of some sort.”
“You two never make mistakes.” Shaylin explained. Problem is the Rune wasn’t weird at all, it was beautiful. Swirling lines and all those pointy jagged edges reminded me of lightning, and it conjoined to form an eight-petal flower, with a lotus like design in the middle. How dare they call it abnormal? It’s perfect. It didn’t seem real though, particles can’t turn into something more, can it? As this was something I had to see for myself, my mind pushed me forward, towards the Rune while everyone else was too busy arguing on what the pattern determined. A perfect time to look at the creation barely touching the ground, a few ginger steps, and I’m in arms reach of it. Would it feel like glass? Or would it fell like nothing at all? I reached my hand right to the center, where the dream catcher is. It felt warm to the touch, inviting, serene, and amazing in one word out of a million I could think of to describe this. It felt like ribbons, the ones you could wear, wrap it in your hair or your wrists. This is amazing, I thought, the teal beamed a bright blue, and then flashed to white. Creating energy so raw, it manifested at lightning and struck all of the surroundings, ceiling to floor, including me. It hurt so much than I thought it would, the force threw me against the farthest wall possible. I yelled searing hot pain surged through my bones. Laughing echoed in my ears again. “Tea, you need to wake one more time.” I’m dreaming again?
The girl gave another laugh, “No, not wake up from a dream; just wake up in general.”
“Tea, Tea, can you hear me?” A familiar voice said, when I opened my eyes, it was him.
“Get away from me.” I said lowly, he backed up a few feet. Arianne and Skailar helped me up. “Well good thing is we figured out you’re a Natural.” Serah said happily. I must have been in a daze because I could barely understand to keep my feet flat on the ground.
“Okay, great, but a Natural of what?” Present asked, taking the reins from them. “Ehh we can’t figure out that one yet. The vibes are all muddled.” Senna explained, making a gesture saying I was crazy. Josh gave her a stern look. “What? She’s the first person ever to not be classified clearly.” Senna said exasperated.
“Well if this is the case, then we need to keep an eye on you, in case we get a breakthrough. You are quite an anomaly Tea. Do you live close by?” Shaylin asked, kneeling down to look at me. I shook my head, but my voice wouldn’t come through. “She lives in Vero, ma’am. Arianne wondered if she could move here.” Danni said, hesitantly. “Okay Dania, we’ll try that. Tea, we could send some movers to pack up your things, of course if you want to go back, that’s completely understandable.” Ellie said tenderly. Everyone looked at her questionably; Shaylin clenched her teeth at the idea.
“This girl has been through enough for a couple of weeks. I think she needs to take mental breather. Wouldn’t you say so?” Ellie replied back, coldly.
“We weren’t exactly okay in the head for little while after we Transitioned, it is overwhelming.” Alezander spoke up. I removed Presents strong support frame, and forced my knees not to buckle. Everything still burned. I nodded my head; I wanted to leave Vero for a while now. The people were hypocrites, nothing was ever good enough. You didn’t make enough money; you didn’t choose the right career. They even questioned your clothing. A bunch of middle-aged people in a midlife crisis all crowded into one town, that’s Vero in a nutshell. To this day, I still don’t know what compelled me to move there.
“Then it’s all settled. Bren, Present, Josh. You drive Tea to her new home. Rae, go downstairs and send in those reports.” Alezander said. They all agreed in a uniform military fashion. “Sorry for the…dilemma.” He scratched the back of his head and offered his hand, which I gladly took, wishing his strength would pass to me. “Oh not at all, seems like I’ve been the exception for all the rules today.” I mumbled. He gave a lopsided smile and let us on our way. From downstairs to the parking lot, everyone who stayed with Bren, Present Josh and I were talking about what happened a few moments ago. Arianne and Danni were arguing whether or not it was scary seeing all that energy, and laughing at the Twins faces when they couldn’t find my exact Connection. Danni parted saying she had to restock on medical supplies. Arianne wanted to go home, and rest up, that she would see if she could swing by tomorrow. That I should be prepared to be bombarded with questions from Community members. Someone was going to send out a mass message about this (Senna possibly.) Fantastic, I’d be the laughing stock of Navel and all the surrounding Districts in a matter of minutes and I’ve been here barely a day.
“I think that they’ll think of it more puzzling than entertaining.” Bren muttered under his breath. Josh pointed to him a gesture that said ‘exactly what I was thinking.’ They both seemed drained; maybe their trip back from Tokyo is starting to finally get to them. They started wondering if my new roommate would be nice enough to let them crash there for the night, estimating they would fall asleep at the wheel on the way back to their homes. They described my new place as a loft studio apartment, almost something you would see an artist or an indie musician rent. So I guess the Mauna District was the Soho of Luea. Neil gave us back the sedan and welcomed me into the Community. I tried to give off a genuine smile but it seemed forced, fake. I had no energy in me to look happy, I was too confused about what just happened to even register if he meant it or it was a regular thing to say to newcomers. We loaded up the vehicle, and drove until Command looked more like a landmark than a building, even from miles away it looked like a castle shining in its own light. Guess I would be making trips there more often.
“So Tea,” Bren whistled, trying to keep himself awake, and not making the ride another silent one “tell us about who you are.” Josh gave him a crooked smile, starting a conversation isn’t exactly an easy thing to do without making it awkward, but I had to give some credit for him trying. “Well, I’m a musician.” I said, feeling small of a sudden. This got Josh’s attention, “Really? What do you play?” He asked, enthusiastically. “Oh a lot of things, cello and guitar are my favorite.” I said a little too zealous. Trying not to show off, if he hadn’t asked in such a surprised tone I may have answered nonchalantly, maybe I ran into another musician without knowing.
“That’s incredible I wish I could be that talented.” Josh beamed. “It really isn’t about talent, it’s just about taking time and have patience to learn.” I explained passion always came easy to me, even when I could barely raise myself up to sit on the piano bench. Perhaps I was blessed with it…or cursed. It’s in the eye of the beholder. I heard the roar of the wind, even with the windows closed. “Looks like the rain is coming again today, you’d think we have enough.” Bren said, starting up the windshield wipers. It was nothing compared to what I experienced at the Branched Islands. This was the kind of rain you go outside on your front porch to listen to and watch with a cup of tea. A summer’s rain, probably one of my most favorite things about this season, it was calm; made the days drag on. “I don’t think that at all, not at all.” I murmured happily, watching raindrops race down the cars windows, merging together and meeting the wind. I would sleep soundly tonight, the rain’s here, I’m home.
“Oh, finally, this is it.” Bren said, pulling to the side of a large bungalow. The passage to the front door hidden in rare types of island flowers and a hybrid of orange blossoms that never grow fruit, it looked quaint on the exterior, looking up I saw there wasn’t any roofing; instead it was replaced with a huge skylight. A side balcony, with little light bulbs string wired lit even with the rain softly coming down. I even saw some recliners and sofas outside under it, surfboards as well. We walked toward the front door which was made completely of tempered glass. Bren rang the doorbell and a thin figure made a sideways glance at who we were. When the door opened, I couldn’t stop looking at who my roommate was. She looked just like porcelain doll well minus the pallor, midnight blue hair, ultramarine eyes, and the figure of a dancer. Her hair was held by a simple braid some pieces framing her small face, wearing a tank top and some plain sweatpants. Her skin had that dewy texture and a deep tan.
“It looks like you three went through the Earths basement and back.” She snickered, “I just got a call from Shaylin, you’ve gotta be Tea.” She said eyeing me, leaning against the doorway, the gold light from the hallway made her seem invincible, goddess like. I nodded, she offered a firm hug “I’m Nathalie, you’re going to be staying here with me, which is actually really good.” She explained cheerfully. “It is?” I inquired. “Yeah, I’m getting lonely here. All of my roommates moved away to ‘better apartments.’” She air quoted, but shortly gave a brilliant smile. “You’ve gotta be tired to the bone, want something to eat or drink?” She asked, putting a hand on my shoulder encouraging me to go inside, she was about to close the door when Josh stopped it. “Could we crash here?” Josh asked a little desperately, acting a bit theatrical for assurance that Nathalie will let them in. “Please? We just want to see if Tea needs anything, we were told to accompany her.” Oh wow, that is such a lie, how tired must they be for someone to fall for anything close to what they’re pulling? Josh made his eyes go wide and innocent, so boy like Nathalie made a face and gave in with that one look. The boys ran back to the car and grabbed some duffel bags from the trunk, must be from their trip. Which left me ill-prepared, no clothes or toiletries until my belongings get moved over here. Maybe I could try sleeping in this and put some toothpaste on my tongue in the morning.
When we came in, we could hear the pitter patter of the rain on the glass roof the soles of our shoes were slippery against the bamboo flooring. There were mixed matched furniture, recliner and sofa sections in different materials and colors, but fit together in a weird way. Everything was so open, and translucent, there wasn’t anything you couldn’t see. She walked into a roomy kitchen and rummaged through her large refrigerator, things were spilling and crashing together grabbing a pan with aluminum covering and stuck it in the oven nearby, and put a pot on the stove. I sat near the mini bar and waited patiently. My stomach was so hollow, those vitamins Danni gave me had me feel full but reality is I haven’t eaten in days. Attempting to keep my hand busy, I tried to pretend the countertop had piano keys embedded on the surface. I was playing the chromatic scale, 10 times when she slid a chilled glass of what looked like water, but it was a twinge of an offset white. I looked it questionably, her eyes grew wide. “Coconut water, it sits better with your stomach.” She explained, taking a sip of the same liquid. It did taste weird but it coated my stomach better than water. I downed it a second; Soon she slid a plate of roasted chicken with a lemon garnish and what smelled like jasmine rice to Bren, Josh and I. I tried to eat in small bites and grow in portion size or I might not hold it down long. .It was absolutely delicious; I couldn’t help but smile every time I put another forkful in my mouth. “I could easily make seconds.” She said making a sideways glance at us.
“Naw thanks though Nath.” Bren grinned putting his plate in a sink, Josh did as well, he offered his hand for the plate, and mine was completely cleaned off from any food. I murmured a small thank you. She leaned over “Let me show you to your room.” She made her way to the living room, down a couple of hallways, headed upstairs and stopped near a dead-end hall. I looked around to see if she was looking at any of the six doors. But when she did a leap to pull on a tassel from the ceiling a wooden panel creaked down with a semi flight of stairs, but they didn’t look like the ones you would see when you pull down the attic door, these looked like stairs from a staircase, with a bohemian design on each step. “They only gave me a half an hour heads up, so I couldn’t do much, but I hope you like it.” She said letting me climb up first. A bed sat right next to a balcony that had some sort of hanging fish-net decoration with little sea-trinkets, the ceiling was half glass half wooden panels, a walk-in closet, a few potted plants a plush white carpet, and wooden floors. I even had my own bathroom. The walls were swathed in a crisp white, with the balcony open; it let in the sweet briny smell of ocean air.
“It’s lovely, it really is.” I said, taking in everything about it.
‘Well I’ll leave you to it then, I’ll bring something for you to wear to sleep, and something for tomorrow.” She said, going back downstairs. What could I do, go to bed? No I decided to take a shower, I realized I had a large claw foot tub all to myself, I let the water turn a hot and I stripped down and soaked in some white lily and sandalwood oil I found. It seems like I was in there for hours since my fingers and toes soaked up everything and the medicine cabinet mirror fogged up. Feeling better and of course drowsy, I pulled myself up, dried off and slipped on a large shirt and sweatpants Nathalie left folded nicely on the end of the bed. But seeing how much the sky lit up on this part of town, because there were no lights on downstairs. The sky seemed to be aglow with its own some stars even with different colors. Seeing it filled me with a new kind of mental energy, but still physically drained. It reminded me of something it looked…
Just like the dream
“Tea?” It wasn’t Nathalie’s, Bren’s or Josh’s voice…Dalton. He stood on the edge of the balcony, beads of water dripping from his clothes and hair. How long has he been there? I gave a sigh and went to my bed, too tired to look at him, even speak. But one thing is for certain: He needed to leave. I would deal with him later on in the week. Or maybe not at all, that’s a better option. “Could you look at me? Look at me.” He said, jumping off the edge and into the room; eye me from corner to corner. Like I’m a sculpture, I used to like it when he looked at me that, there’s always something he could see in me, that I couldn’t. Now it felt like he was seeing if I was chipped or damaged.
‘What could you possibly want now?” I asked, looking at him finally, letting my arms go limp.
“I want to say something; could I be given that courtesy, politeness even?” He replied back in surrender. He really didn’t deserve it, that’s one common niceness I would give if he stuck around of the last year or so. Right now, I had no clue of what brought him here or how he found Nathalie’s house. Knowing him, what he had to say had to be of dire importance. So I let him go, and say whatever he needed or wanted to. I guess I had to be the one to apologize on the way I acted in the chamber with the Superiors. ‘Ladies first’ rules apply still didn’t it? Perhaps with us, whatever in the heavens we had I suppose I had to apply the policy here too.
“I came to say I didn’t know what came over me back there, earlier. I felt like I saw I ghost right before my eyes.” He explained, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.
“Really, and you don’t think it was the exact same feeling for me.” I said, looking at the knitting of the carpet.
“You were flying blind back there in Vero, you would’ve thought it was a…”
“A joke?” I inquired bitterly. He gave a nervous chuckle, “Yeah maybe, I wanted to call you as soon as I left. But I got caught up in Superior Guard business, I thought you couldn’t care or wouldn’t care or-”
“Want to know when I figured you were drifting?” I asked suddenly, still not looking at him. He stared at me, waiting for an answer.
“The last day you spent with me at that stupid summer party last year.” I said, smoothing out the sheets on my bed, even though they were crisp. “What?” He gasped.
“Drunk on the moment, not even actually drunk. We stumbled into Chris’ room, our clothes came off. We looked at each other…and that’s when I knew.” I couldn’t stop my voice from cracking. Remembering the look that he gave, like he already lost me when I laid there on his best friend’s bed. His breath felt so close then; now it felt light-years away. Something was totally wrong; I just didn’t want to believe it right then and there. Two mornings later, he’s gone. No word, no number, no note.
“You couldn’t keep your true colors away even then could you? It’s kind of disappointing really.” I chuckled darkly. Discovering the person you spent three and a half years with will leave you in a matter of two days.
“What if I told you I was going to leave two weeks ago, back to Vero, and take you with me, here?” He said, positively, kneeling on to the bed lifting my chin up.
Lie. He would’ve never come back, even if he did, I wouldn’t go with him. He hurt me too much. He’s hurting me now, just by being in the same new life with me. A second chance didn’t mean extra baggage to carry with you, it meant nothing would be behind your name, no one knew your story and no one had to. You could keep to yourself, but seeing how, close all of these people are. I was disheartened to think that keeping secrets wouldn’t be easy. Any and every topic is out in the open to talk about and add lies to. Just imagine how many lies Dalton had spread about himself. Or has even spread about me…or he didn’t mention me at all. He left his luggage at the airport and had to no intention of coming back to come get it, to come get me. Now he had ammo to come destroy me if he wanted to. I had no idea what to do here, no directive. A sitting duck he would take this advantage to make me hide. His lies couldn’t crumble me from the outside in anymore. My defenses are down, I was completely raw and there’s nothing he couldn’t see. Dalton knew me too well, but here…
Here is where I decided to make myself anew. Unpredictable to him, I’m my only ally; I don’t and will not need anyone like I needed him, no more desperate needs to have him back, to want his touch, his stare. From this night and everywhere else onward, I will not look, speak, or even think about his name. I will not hide from his pointless rumored banter, he’s the one at fault, and he should get the brute of the force I have been enduring. When I figure out what kind of Natural I am, I will make him feel that force a thousand full. Make him understand what he has done, and how he will not do it to someone else. Many people would say I being too harsh, getting revenge. I am not; I’m evening the playing field. So we can see each other eye to eye and have a fair fight to stay in this Community as much as anyone else can.
“Keep your distance.” I said lowly, putting my knees closer to my chest. He looked at me oddly, “But I just said I’m sorry.”
“You truly believe that one little ‘I’m sorry’ can fix what you did? Please, do us both a favor and stay away from me.” I waved my hand of dismissively, wanting him to jump out whatever window he came out and hope he lands face first. He shook his head and smiled “You must not be thinking clearly…it has been a rough day.”
“Has my speech given in? I said get out!” I yelled, then I heard a crack of lightning, so loud and powerful it shook the ground. He stumbled and looked at me in awe; he left out the window without another word or look back. I sat there, trying to catch my breath. Wondering where that bravery and outspokenness came from. Rain came harder again, twenty minutes later. Maybe being part of the Community means that you have to uncover something you thought you never had, something that’s the exact opposite of your being, your personality. Not exactly change, but…a budge in a different direction, your own body digging up its own strength. It obviously showed in all the individuals I’ve met in the last couple of weeks. With that thought slowly disappearing as night turned to early morning, I finally fell asleep at sunrise, thinking if you could be proud of yourself for something you could never do before.
The sun was warming up my entire back, and birds were chirping, a natural wake up call. Opening my eyes, I assumed it’s around the early afternoon. A fluttering sound reverberated in my eardrums, like a constant hum. Knowing it wasn’t my imagination, I looked around to see a hummingbird has flown in from the open balcony. Flitting to and from the wooden and glass ceiling, mistaking the glass for being a way out, cautiously made sure it didn’t hit anything. Soon it grew a bit weary and landed gracefully on a nearby household palm tree. It stared at me with renowned amazement. Smiling, I stretched my muscles, and got up slowly to take a better look. I kneeled to meet it at eye level.
“Hello little one.” I said, offering my hand, God knows how I’m an animal charmer; it hopped right into my palm. I stroked it gently with my pinky, feeling the soft sleek feathers which were blue and green. Leaving my palm wide open, to show I wasn’t pulling anything funny I stepped onto the balcony and showed it the open air. It looked around and took flight, heading to the shade of trees to the right of the beach in front of me. I wondered if Nathalie, Bren and Josh were still here. With a spare hair-tie I found on my wrist I put my hair up in a messy bun, that way the wind won’t have its way with it. I found there were stairs leading down to the main floor. I followed them which led to the kitchen; I saw a large glass sliding door, them sipping espresso gingerly, all of them looked a bit groggy from the morning. They must’ve woken up late too. I pulled on the glass sliding door, and I eased open, giving away a breeze from outside, making their hair flow away in strands.
“Morning.” Nathalie said, yawning, offering me a tiny cup of coffee. “Word of warning, this stuff is strong.” Bren said, making a twisted face from bitterness. I’ve always drank espresso since I was five years old, the taste didn’t bother my tongue so much. Bren seemed to be having a hard time with it. I tried to stifle a smile. I guess he braved up and sipped it because he needed energy for the day.
“So Ellie called, basically you’re left to your own devices.” Josh said, playing with an apple on the counter. I suppose they were waiting for me to get settled before they made any other plans for any of us.
“I’m planning of just laying low today, you know, vegging?” I suggested, sipping espresso and letting the sweet bitterness run down my throat and coat my stomach. They looked at me, and all nodded in agreement. They seemed in no condition to go anywhere.
“Maybe when you get all of your stuff situated, we can go on a tour.” Bren said.
“That’d be cool.” I said enthusiastically.” Feeling the energy from the caffeine “hey, Nathalie, may you show me the anatomy of your kitchen? I’d like to make my own meals from now on. Carry my own weight you know?” I asked I hated feeling like I was a guest. Suppose I had to feel like this is my house, considering it is from here on out. So she showed me where she keeps everything, surprisingly in an organized, organized mess (that is a word?). After making breakfast and lunch for everyone, I just hung out. I walked around to look at all the spare rooms left empty from Nathalie’s old roommates, ready to take on more boarders at any time. I’ve walked on the shore various times during the day, until the sun came down; I went back in, worried that no lights would guide me back. They left me alone for the entire day, which gave me time to think about every detail in my surroundings I’ve experienced in the last couple weeks. Tones in dialogue, something I really didn’t think about in the moment. My memory wasn’t exactly the greatest, but I was determined that there was something there. Not just anywhere, but in that girls voice. Something’s there that I’m missing, like there’s one thing that lead to a million things that she knew about me that I didn’t know about myself. She knew my name, she knew what was happening to me, and she offered respite from the pain…at least I think she did. I just wish she would give more insight to whom or what she is. As if she’s anything at all or more that what she let on. Perhaps she really was nothing, than the air’s trick of a silhouette taking the shape of a girl that may have belonged here, and got bored, a siren of words. Someone important yet never ever mentioned at all.
Impossible…
This made my head throb just thinking about it. They sky burst open right into the sea, sending the surf crazy, and a cool wind. They sky agreed with the feeling it seemed like. It made me calm again, no point of worrying over a hallucination. The remainder of the last few days went by in a blur, constantly borrowing clothes and toiletries from Nathalie were really getting on my nerves. It would have been so much simpler if I just went back home, even if was for a little while. No contact from people, I would be my own isolation and protection, I may not know exactly what I am, but I had enough anticipation to fight to figure out from the people who hate Community members which I now was. As the days turned into another two weeks I found my mind becoming more and more empty. Things started to just drop entirely from my head. Things stopped needing explanation, nothing to justify, nothing to detail, no worries. I was living in the here and now. And as soon as all my belongings were to come to Nathalie’s the past would start to return in pains, like gunshots. Then I would have to remember why everything’s such a mystery. If I only had money, I would buy my own furniture, but my account was in Vero, and the banks aren’t local here. A sitting duck indeed, the constant walks on the beach have given me a glowing sun-kissed appearance. Coming back from one, I saw Nath’s living room covered entirely of objects wrapped up in protected covers. Some were taking shapes of…
My instrument cases, suitcases were filled of my clothes and other personal items that I left carelessly around my bedroom before I made that trek through the Branched Islands. Present and Arianne popped out of some furniture and Arianne carried a surfboard underneath the crook of her arm.
“I never would’ve guessed you would’ve done this.” She said.
“I do it sporadically.” I shrugged; overwhelmed to see everything was taken such good care of. They even smelled of wood finish polish, carrying a new pleasant aroma. I felt a pang of warmth in my chest. Bren and Josh showed up with dollies of more furniture
“I decided to do a room makeover day today. Spice things up a little since we’re not busy.” Nathalie said, taking my shoulders.
“It was all Danni’s idea.” Present explained that she couldn’t make it but she wanted pictures of the finished product. They all seemed like they were attached so close to me in a vast amount of time even though they’ve only known me for a month or so. This made the pang turn into sunshine in my chest. I felt good all over. Better than I’ve felt in a while. Present and Bren took care of the task of accounting for the large furniture. Arianne and I took care of the delicate items and clothes. Josh took care of the small accessories and instruments. I did the unveiling of my furniture. It may have been a bit chipped but it gave off a more antique feel which I loved. All of my furniture was an ivory wood, with brass knobs looking a bit worn. Nathalie fell in love with it. She couldn’t stand the sight of the bed inside the room previously in here, so she demanded that Josh and Bren take it apart and put it in another room somehow.
“Tea, what is this container full of?” Arianne asked, pointing to two small opaque boxes. I walked over and opened it gingerly. I almost burst into tears. They even eased off the paste from the concerto’s I’ve played and pasted on my wall back at home. When paper was still in supply, but now they have begun to yellow, cardstock still strong though. I’ve passed so many state-wide auditions playing these pieces. The huge rounds of applause, begs to play it again. The other box was filled with my compositions from the instrument’s I played to others I did not but knew the notes and worked with what I knew, and studied to learn more. After the furniture was counted, clothes and what little jewelry I had was checked off the movers’ lists. They drove me to a home improvement store where they were looking at ideas for open room palettes. I decided to leave one wall white, because there was a surprise I would show them later, but the wall that led up to the wood paneled ceiling, I wanted to paint it a sky blue, kind of like the it is in the morning outside the balcony I could now call my own (Nathalie insisted I did, there was no use arguing) I bought a paste to put up my music pieces and quote clippings from magazines and books. I wanted to arrange the furniture myself so, when we got back to Nathalie’s house. They watched me intently as I faced everything from wall to wall. The only thing I left in the middle of the room was my music stands. Sitting in a semicircle around my white box bed, and my white linen sheets with silk stripes, the ones my grandmother made from hand. I tuned my piano, cello and guitar. I powered up my tablet, and hooked up my overhead so that way it was facing the only wall I left white and void of any furniture. I selected one of many live backgrounds I had and chose the moving surface of water, like you would see on the surface of a pool.
“It certainly doesn’t look like the room I saw a day ago.” Nathalie said, awe dripping from her voice.
“Is that a bad thing?” I asked, a bit worried, “nope, you took an empty space and claimed it as your own.” Present said, her eyes reflecting the water dancing around on the wall. After all the moving and painting we have done. I must’ve realized everyone must’ve been famished and exhausted. So, the only way I could thank them was making food a huge dinner to show my thanks. We made jokes about their day; Arianne took votes on which picture we should send to Danni of the room. It’s so weird acting very average with these people. They were the stronghold of the Community, they saved lives. Yet they fit me right into their normal free hours of their day. Present excused herself from dinner. Explaining she had to run night ops with Rae. She looked at me before swinging her duffel bag over the shoulder.
“I’m sure you’ll be in my same position soon.” She smirked.
“Why is that?” I asked, curiously.
“’Cause it’s like everyone’s been saying, you’re different.” She explained simply before thanking everyone and leaving. Different, unique, an exception to the rules; It seems like in this allotted amount of time I’ve become something I am not used to. I’ve lived by the rules; I may have defied them openly when I was younger because it was natural to be a rebel in your teen years. Now I was breaking guidelines and a history dating back to the new start of the world after the Warming, something never done nor recorded before.
“In fact, you should go in for evaluation, training too.” Arianne said, dabbing her mouth with a napkin, she may be fierce looking, but she still had table etiquette.
“It’s protocol, every Community member, Superior Guard or not has to be ready if a fight is presented.” Bren said, “I remember my training.” He threw his head back and laughed, obvious that he made a total fool of himself with his trainers with a relative Connection to his. But who would they give me as a trainer? The only lead they have is that I’m a Natural of an unknown specialty. They could just give me Naturals and do a process of elimination through my training days. How long would that take though?
“We should go tomorrow, Shaylin keeps calling about you.” Nathalie said, taking a wireless headphone out of her ear. “She’s leaving messages with you too?” Josh asked.
“She’s blowing up my voicemail box. You obviously made an outlasting impression of the Three didn’t you?” She asked rhetorically.


Apparently I did.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.