Running Prophecy | Teen Ink

Running Prophecy

By MeganXtheXwriter, boremont, Texas
MeganXtheXwriter, Boremont, Texas

But love is blind, and lovers cannot see
The pretty follies that themselves commit.
William Shakespeare

or

How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?
Albert Einstein

I hated nights like tonight. I had just woken up from one of the more intense nightmares tonight. I peeked at my sister, making sure my scream hadn’t wakened her. I shuddered at tonight’s horrifying images. I walked to the small thing that people had the audacity to call a kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. My nerves were shot from my dream and I was nervous because if I had a dream, my sister would too.

I slumped against the wall watching my little sister sleep. She was clutching her worn stuffed rabbit obviously having a nightmare. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair hating the fact that I couldn’t do anything to stop it. She whimpered in her sleep and started tossing around violently. I let out a shaky sigh of relief that it was almost over. I hated seeing her in pain. She was so innocent but her nightmares were destroying it, even if she couldn’t remember them in the morning. She was lucky in that sense; she couldn’t remember the terrifying images. She let out a blood curdling scream, briefly startling me. I let myself relax, glad that her nightmare was over for now and walked over to her bed.

“Goodnight Sam,” I whispered and pulled her blankets around her.

Sam and I. That’s how it had been for the last six years. We woke up one morning in our house to find our parents gone, a note and enough money to last anyone three lifetimes.

The clock on her nightstand flashed 3 A.M. in bright neon green. I estimated we had two hours to leave. I started packing clothes for Sam in the suitcases that had become so familiar to us in the past few years. They were coming for us again. I didn’t exactly know who they were but my parents left me telling me to run whenever my eyes turned, and so I do. I could tell they were coming by the way my eyes were changing colors. Whenever they were near my eyes would turn to this unnatural purple color, and as soon as they started changing I had two hours to get as far away from where I was as possible.

I never let them turn completely purple though. I could never afford to let them get so close that they could catch us. I didn’t know if they would kill us but I wasn’t willing for that to become an option. The only thing I hated was moving Sam from place to place. I could tell it was wearing her down but she never complained about any of it. Recently the longest we were staying somewhere was two weeks if not less. I home schooled her as much as I could. I refused to put her in school, I was too unsure of when we’d have to leave. It didn’t take me long to pack what little we had.

“Sam, wake up. I need you to go shower and get dressed,” I told her shaking her awake.

“Are we leaving again Aislinn?” she asked. We both knew what the answer was, but neither of us said it.

“Call me Ash, remember,” I told her again. I like to use our nicknames just in case.

When Sam was done, I stepped into the bathroom immediately looking into the mirror. My mouth turned down at the corners and I sucked in my breath. My eyes were getting too purple for my liking. I dressed quickly and dashed around trying to make sure we had everything. I stuffed some cash in my pockets along with a picture of my parents and a note they gave to me six years ago. Just as I was checking to make sure Sam was ready a knock came to the door. I wasn’t necessarily eager to find out what or who was knocking on my door at nearly five in the morning.

Our breathing stopped and I cursed myself for not leaving sooner. Carefully, I lifted Sam over my shoulder and walked towards the window. I was thankful I picked the apartment on the lower floor. The knocking on the door had become more insistent banging. I tried not to panic and silently prayed that the window wouldn’t squeak. I guess I didn’t pray hard enough as the window released a loud groan as if it hadn’t been opened in years.

I ignored it and made my movements faster. I shoved Sam out of the window along with the luggage and then myself. I turned around in time to see a misshapen figure burst through the door. I slammed the window down and grabbed Sam and our stuff and ran. I didn’t stop for nine blocks and by then my lungs were burning from being pushed too hard. I turned to Sam whose eyes had grown to the size of dinner plates.

“What was that?” she screeched at me.

“Be quiet we have to get going,” I hissed at her looking around. The sun wasn’t even up yet so I doubted people would be happy hearing her yell.

“I’m not going anywhere until you tell me what that thing was. I’m tired of running from something I don’t even know what it is. I mean I’m twelve years old, moving from place to place like this isn’t healthy for me!” she screamed.

I stared at her bewildered. Sam had never told me she felt like this. Of all moments for her to do something like this, she had to pick now. I could tell she felt jealous of the kids that we passed that had friends and went to school but I guess I never really knew it bothered her so much. I felt that keeping her even more ignorant than I was would be safer for her.

“Listen Sam I’ll tell you when we get somewhere safe, I promise,” I said after a few minutes.

She glared at me unconvinced and I gave her pleading eyes. She sighed after a few minutes and crossed her arms the way she did whenever she gave in to something. I gave her a smile and lead her down the street.

“Train or plane this time Sam?” I asked her

“Train,” she answered immediately.

I smiled at her a little. Sam was not one for heights so train was our main form of transportation whenever we needed to make a getaway. We walked along the sidewalk, keeping our pace fast. The train station was only a little over a mile away but my body felt like it would collapse any minute. Sam saw me and gave a disapproving glance my way.

“Ash when was the last time you ate something?’ she questioned.

“Yesterday morning and I’ll be fine until we make it to the train station,” I assured her. I was in no mood for one of her lectures.

“You know that’s not healthy. How many times do I have to tell you to eat something three times a day!” she scolded me, exasperated.

I rolled my eyes at her and tuned out the lecture she was giving me. I was used to her berating me over silly things like this. I was more nervous to explain to her why we were running all the time. She was six when it became me and her so I don’t expect her to remember much. I reached into my pocket and gripped the piece of paper that my mom had given me right before her and my dad left. I’d read it enough times that I could repeat some of the lines word for word, although a few pieces of it were blurry to my memory, and the ink was smudged of in some places.

We reached the train station and I looked for somewhere we hadn’t been yet. It was nearly impossible but I found a place that even I had never heard of somewhere in Georgia. I went to the vending machines and got a bag of chips for Sam and me. I hope it would make her happy that I was eating something. The train wouldn’t be here for another hour or so and I nearly started another argument with her over sleep. She grudgingly went to sleep in the chairs next to us.

I was more of the kind of person to sleep in the middle of the day. I stared at the shiny waxed floors of the station and concentrated on them. I had to keep my mind occupied with something other than coming up with a way of telling Sam the truth. It wasn’t that Sam wasn’t mature enough-she was better at handling situations than I was-but maybe this was too much. She deserved to know why we moved so much, but I didn’t want to be the one to tell her. I ran a hand over my face; I was not looking forward to this train ride.

“Come on Sam,” I urged trying to pull her towards the train. They had just announced that the train was leaving but Sam was refusing to budge.

“You lied,” she stated glaring at me, “you said that you would tell me everything when we were safe. I have no explanation!”

“Listen to me Sam, until that train leaves out of this station we are nowhere near safe. If we don’t get on that train before it leaves we are going to be in a lot of trouble, got it?”
I explained exasperated.

She seemed to give in and let out a huff. I let out a sigh and we made our way to the train. I climbed on board looking around casually. Almost no one was on the train so I grabbed a couple of seats and looked out of the window. I took out a mirror from one of my bags and examined my eyes. They were nowhere near there normal color of brown and I was afraid that maybe they’d even changed to a more vibrant purple than before.

I saw someone get on out of the corner of my eye and my eyes seemed to glow like a warning light. Without hesitation I grabbed our stuff and Sam and pulled her towards the exit. I ignored the train conductor and walked off the train just as it was getting ready to pull away. I watched the train disappear into the distance.

“What was that all about? Why did we leave the train?” Sam shouted at me.

I pursed my lips and stared at where the train had disappeared. I let out a long shaky breath not realizing that I hadn’t been breathing. I was only minutely aware of the sound of Sam scolding me. I grabbed her hand and dragged her towards the exit. I hailed down a taxi and made Sam get in.

“We’re going to take a plane instead,” I told her.

“But why?” she cried.

I didn’t answer her question and pulled out my mirror. My face had flushed but the colors of my eyes had dulled and were almost back to normal. I listened to the engine of the car and drowned out everything else. I hoped that there was somehow a plane ready to leave when we got to the airport.

“Explain to me why we’re taking a plane,” my sister demanded.

“Because I said so,” I snapped irritably.

She glared at me and let out a growl. I shook my head. I was too tired to deal with her new attitude. I missed her quieter, non-complaining self. I dragged her towards the ticket desk and got two tickets to Miami, Florida. From there I’d figure out what we were going to do. The flight wouldn’t arrive for an hour so I took Sam to a fast food restaurant. As Sam ate her burger I picked at the fries she insisted I order.

“Flight 32 to Miami, Florida now boarding, have a nice day,” a mechanical voice crackled around our heads. I sighed and stood up glancing to see a very unhappy Sam next to me.

“Do we really have to ride a plane,” Sam whispered nervously.

“Sorry kid but we have to but don’t worry I’ll be with you the entire time,” I told her nudging her in the direction of our terminal.

With a little more persuasion, I managed to get my sister on board. I rubbed the back of my neck as I looked out of the window. There was something in Miami or else I wouldn’t have picked it. I don’t know what just something familiar. I grabbed my parent’s note out. I hadn’t read it in a year but now seemed like a good time.

Dear Aislinn,

We are so sorry to send you and your sister away like this but you two are in a lot of danger. We never wanted to explain to you why your eyes turn purple but we’re running out of time. You are the next heir to the throne of Evangeline, a place in another realm. You possess special powers that we can’t really explain. That’s something you have to find out for yourself. Your eyes change color whenever someone or something from the other realm is getting near.

We are sending you away with enough money to last you a very long time to run. Stay in hotels but never stay anywhere for too long. Once you see that your eyes are changing colors leave wherever you are and fast.

You are thirteen now. We expect you to take care of your little sister. She has blood like yours but will not have any powers so there’s no need for you to worry. One more thing, as you get older you will begin getting nightmares or dreams, but be careful when you talk about them. (Sam won’t remember hers) Whenever you see a winged purple creature in these you have to listen to what it says no matter what.

Remember we love you girls, and this is for the best. Take care of one another. If you need anything your Aunt Mary lives in Miami.

We love you girls always

Mom and Dad

“So that’s why we always move,” a voice muttered beside me.

I jumped up surprised. The look in Sam’s eyes was almost sad. It reminded me of her small six year old self the night our parents put us on the train that first night on our own. I looked out of the window and let Sam take the crumpled piece of paper from my hands. I swallowed the lump in my throat. I hated reading that letter. It made me feel emotions I tried so hard to keep away. Part of me wanted to throw a tantrum and rip it up right there on the spot but I couldn’t. It was one of the few things I had left of my parents. I blew hair out of my face and stared at the clouds.

I never really believed that there was this whole other realm. Part of me believed it was just an outrageous excuse for my parents to get rid of me. But another part wanted to believe that maybe there really is some other place out there but why would I be in danger. I was especially confused by the heir to the throne part. Maybe my parents were insane and wanted us to get away while they got better somewhere but my eyes changing color deterred that possibility. I was just relieved Sam hadn’t been over emotional or over questioning about this.

“Do you have nightmares Ash?” Sam suddenly asked.

“Yeah I do,” I answered not looking at her.

“When will I start having nightmares?” she sounded scared.

“You already do, you just can’t remember them, and be glad you can’t,” I told her looking at her now.

“But that’s impossible wouldn’t I be able to know if I had a nightmare and why should I be glad I can’t?” she said confused.

“I’ve seen some of your nightmares Sam, they aren’t exactly things you should experience,” I whispered.

“How can you see my nightmares?” she questioned.

“I guess it’s one of my powers or whatever but I can go into your mind,” I mumbled.

Her eyes widened to that of a frightened deer and she looked as if she might burst from the thousands of questions she was sure to ask. I gave her a pleading look and her face dropped but she didn’t say anything.

“Look, this whole other realm thing is probably just something mom and dad used to try and scare us. Don’t worry about it,” I told her hoping desperately that she’d drop the subject.

“Fine, but one last question, who’s Aunt Mary?” Sam questioned.

I don’t know why but I started laughing hysterically. I don’t know what took over me but I couldn’t stop. People were giving me strange looks and Sam was frantically trying to calm me down. Her simple question caused me to just laugh, something I hadn’t done to this extent in years. Maybe all this stress was getting to me or maybe I had finally cracked. Either way it felt good to laugh.

“Aunt Mary is mom’s sister. You haven’t seen her since you were around two so I don’t expect you to remember her,” I said once my laughing fit had ended.

“Yeah okay, um Ash, are you alright?” she asked looking concerned and more than a little freaked out.

I didn’t bother to answer her and just gave her a lazy smile. I don’t think I could have even given her a truthful answer anyway. Was I alright? I doubted it but I wanted to enjoy feeling happy, just for the plane ride at least. Being afraid so much can hamper the spirit. Sam fell asleep for the remainder of the plane ride and I just enjoyed watching the clouds go by. The plane landed all too quickly and I didn’t want to get up. After nearly all the passenger had left I shook Sam awake and we walked to out of the airport with the few bags we bought with us.

Miami was hot. I hated hot weather and I wondered why my aunt had to choose Florida of all places to live. I rented a car and drove down the unfamiliar streets. I only remember the name of the street my aunt lived on, Partridge Lane. I took out a map and tried to find the quickest way to Mary’s. After twenty minutes of trying to figure out the map I angrily tore it to pieces. I had a college level education at sixteen, yet I couldn’t read a simple map. I sighed and pulled into a gas station and asked for directions. I got the directions and grabbed some juice and chips for Sam and me.

“Why is it that whenever you do eat, it can never be a vegetable or fruit or something good for you,” Sam scolded examining the food in my hands.

“Because unlike you I’m normal and actually enjoy junk food,” I said rolling my eyes and giving her a grin, “and besides I got orange juice, it’s got 100% real fruit so stop complaining.”

I kept grinning and ignored her mumblings about me not being normal. The street was easy enough to find, it was a matter of finding my aunt that was going to be difficult. The only thing I had to worry about was if this years old address was still accurate. A middle aged woman was outside pulling weeds from plants in her front yard.

“Excuse me miss but do you know where Mary Willards lives?” I asked pulling over.

“Oh yes of course, she lives right there across from me,” she answered pointing to the bright yellow house on the other side.

“Thank you,” I said and was about to pull away when I saw Willards printed on the side of this lady’s mailbox. By now the woman had already gone back to gardening but I could see her trying to inconspicuously look at me. I parked the car and told Sam to get out.

“Listen young lady I don’t know what you want with me but I’d appreciate you leaving now,” she told me irritated. She stood up her graying hair blowing in her face with the breeze. She had the same familiar blue eyes like my mom and the same attitude.

“I didn’t know it was a crime to see my aunt,” I said grinning. She looked confused for a minute and then it registered.

“Aislinn? Is that you? Oh I missed you! Where have you been? How have you been? I haven’t seen you in what, ten years. You have grown up to be such a lovely young lady,” she said coming over and hugging me. I guess this must be what felt so familiar to me when I picked Miami.

“And is this little Samantha? Oh I haven’t seen you since you could crawl. Look how well you’re growing!” she exclaimed giving Sam a hug.

She took a step back and looked us over again. Her eyes stopped at my hair and she gave me a questioning look.

“Purple streaks Ash, really?” she just shook her head, “anyway why don’t we all go inside? We have a lot to catch up on.”

I fingered the streaks in my hair indignantly and followed her up the steps. I mean it wasn’t my fault that I impulsively bought permanent purple hair dye a couple years ago, and anyways I liked them. I glanced at Sam who looked like she was trying hard not to laugh and pushed her little, rolling my eyes. I walked into Aunt Mary’s house and the smell of cinnamon and something homey filled my nose. I took a deep breath and smiled a little.

“Here, are you girls hungry? I have tons of leftovers in the refrigerator,” Aunt Mary said smiling.

Sam went to the kitchen and began digging around. My aunt and I left her to do as she pleased and my aunt motioned for me to sit next to her on the couch.

“So Ash, mind telling me why you’ve been MIA the past ten years and suddenly you show up here?” she asked looking me in the eye. I could tell she wasn’t angry just worried.

“Do you know?” I replied.

“Of course I know but I can tell you don’t even know a fraction of what you’re supposed to,” she said disapprovingly, “and I suppose your parents sent you on the run.” I just nodded at her statement and motioned for her to tell me what I should apparently know.

“You were born in Evangeline, a place filled with creatures from the wildest stories, magical beings, mythical wonders, and so much more. You were born a prophecy child. Now prophecy children aren’t as rare as you would think but you are the Great Prophecy. When we saw that you were supposed to be the prophecy child we were all so happy. Then Marin, an evil sorcerer, declared war on the castle. We took you here to keep you safe from things.

But I see there was no use in that because if you are on the run, that means they can and will find you. I won’t tell you the prophecy now, you should go eat and rest but tomorrow I have a lot of explaining to do,” she told me. She had a troubled look covering her face but quickly hid it from me.

I sat there and she walked passed me, patting my shoulder. I was being hunted by things, I knew that much, but things from another realm, she sounded like my parents. I shook my head and walked into her kitchen to find three plates of food set up on the table. Sam and Aunt Mary had already started eating and Sam gave me a look that told me I had some more explaining to do.

I sighed and sat down looking at the broccoli, tofu, and baked chicken on my plate. I looked up and glared at Sam who just gave me a stern nod and motioned for me to eat it. The dinner table was mostly filled with small talk and the sounds of scraping forks. I suppose I wasn’t surprised. After over ten years of not seeing someone, ways to start a comfortable conversation are few. I finished eating and walked over to the sink and began washing my plate when Aunt Mary stopped me.

“That’s okay you two, I’ll get the dishes. You girls go upstairs and to the right. There are two guest rooms up there you can use,” she told us.

I walked up the stairs into the first room and collapsed on the bed which smelled like cinnamon just like everything else in this house. I stared at the ceiling for a few minutes before getting ready for bed. I came out of the bathroom to find chamomile tea and hot water in a thermos on the bedside table with a little note.

For the nightmares - Aunt M

I smiled a little and dumped the tea into the water and mixed it. I took a small sip and breathed in its scent. I lay in bed and stared at the floral curtains that covered the windows. I got up and walked to it and pulled the curtains back. A black sky stared back at me and everything seemed calm. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed. Things were getting complicated now that Sam knew things. Maybe if I distanced myself from her, she’d be safe. She could go to school, have friends, and be normal. I decided to ask Aunt Mary if Sam could stay here with her. I climbed back in bed, trying to convince myself that leaving Sam here was the right decision.

I felt my eyes close and immediately an image began to form. A garish lime color began shaping itself into a beast of fur and claws. It gave me a cruelly happy smile, displaying rows of sharp teeth. A green paw raised itself and dragged a claw along the side of my jaw, just breaking the skin. Blood trickled down my neck and the beast gave a cynical laugh. I tried moving away but it grabbed my arm and began dragging me in the direction of darkness.

I struggled to get away but it was hopeless. I started being spun around and it tossed me. I felt like I was falling and the scream that wanted to come out was trapped in my throat. Images of replicas of the beast and many others appeared around me, jeering and making grabs for me. I landed in a pit with chains appearing around my hands and ankles. A dark figure, more human than the others, appeared and red eyes stared at me. They were eyes that appeared many times in my dreams but this time they held a certain evil in them.

“We will find you Aislinn, and when we do, that day will be your last,” the voice rasped and a dark figure came at me.

I let out a shrill scream and opened my eyes to find the ceiling. I sat up and glanced around and grabbed the tea from the nightstand. Breathing heavily, I tried to calm myself. I drank slowly until I’d finished what was in the thermos. No matter how many nightmares I’d had, I still wasn’t used to them. I glanced at the clock next to me and groaned at the time. I doubted my aunt would want to explain my prophecy at 2 o’clock in the morning. I pulled on a jacket and walked to the window. I opened it and let myself lean over the edge, teetering back and forth before letting myself fall. I began to float somehow.

I wasn’t flying, but this felt calming and was as close to flying as I could. I never understood how I could do this but I did it whenever I was too stressed. It was like swimming in the air. I felt free up here like if I just did this for the rest of my life I could escape everything. I must have stayed like this for hours but it felt like minutes. Soon the sun began showing its warm, colorful hues, and I could see lights in nearby houses come on. I went through my window reluctantly and rested my feet on the wood floor. I grabbed on to the nearby table to steady myself, I wasn’t used to walking right after floating so long. I went into the bathroom and took a long shower. I just stood there letting water rush over me.

“Good morning Aislinn,” Aunt Mary greeted as I walked into the kitchen.

I refused the plate of food she offered me and glanced at the disapproving look on Sam’s face and decided to take the plate. There was no way I could stand a health lecture from her right now. I ate silently while my aunt and Sam talked idly. A prickly feeling settled in my stomach as I watched them. This all felt so normal but normal wasn’t something I was used to. It all felt too comfortable and perfectly timed to make sense. I heard Aunt Mary tell Sam to go next door to help one of her friends. I watched her sit in the chair opposite of me and waited for her to speak.

“Aislinn what do you know about yourself?” she asked. Her caring tone didn’t match the intense look she held in her eyes.

“Besides the fact that I’m not normal,” I joked.

“This is no time for jokes Aislinn,” my aunt snapped.

“Well I have nightmares, my eyes turn purple when whoever’s chasing me gets too near, and I’m being hunted by monsters from some other realm,” I said calmly ignoring her tone.

“Well let’s start with your eyes. They are naturally purple in our realm but they changed when you got here, to the Human Realm. Whenever an object or person from Evangeline comes within a certain radius of you, they change back. That’s why they’re that way now because the monsters from Evangeline have come for you. As for the chasing and nightmares, well they’ll be mentioned when I tell you the prophecy,” she said.

“Ok,” I replied for lack of a better comment.