PEACEBRINGER | Teen Ink

PEACEBRINGER

May 23, 2012
By Kozakura BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
More by this author
Kozakura BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen closely." - Littlefoot's Mother, The Land Before Time


Author's note: My friend and I started this as a collab with short form script, and I decided to expand it even more into a story (:

The author's comments:
Please note that all the characters are anthropomorphic canines (:

The cool and dry evening air had begun to settle within the Creonian Kingdom, and the darkening sky with blazing orange and blues mixed together signaled the citizens that night was coming upon them. Lamps lit and lined the streets like a guided trail, and one house after another went pitch black for its residents had gone dormant for the night. The kingdom was enormous with residential areas in the far east, spotted with dots of light as more went into their slumber, while the west was littered with shops that were clustered with customers as they browse for their daily goods.

In the middle of all the clutter of buildings was a castle. The exterior had several towers, guards keeping close watch as they gripped their bayonets with a jerk at every sudden movement they caught at the corner of their eye. Shredded and torn pendants waved from the tip of each tower, the dark colors of red and black were balanced as a white emblem was center perfectly. The almost Gothic-like architect had detailed of engravings of deities with stories of their own, and the interior design was elegant and divine, each piece of furniture perfectly matched with each other.
While the residents of the kingdom laid in their slumber, figures were wide awake and moving around as they kept their focus on their duties. They had adjusted to their new schedule, staying hidden from the light in the day as the kingdom bustled with activity.

Heavy and impatient footsteps made a loud thud as their owner hurried his way into the King’s chambers and into the conference room, the thick door slamming hard against the frame. The mysterious figure flared their nostrils and made haste over to the window, peering out to the kingdom scenery below. A soft growl emitted from the muzzle of the canine-like being.
“This pathetic kingdom wouldn’t stand a chance if I was in complete command, rather than using their lousy excuse of a king as my puppet!” His broad hands crumpled into a fist as he lifted himself more out of the window. “I can’t stand how long my scheme is taking to unfold…I should have taken out my brother while I could. But instead…I sit here, twiddling my thumbs as I wait for those stupid pawns of soldiers to take out those I want.”

From the other side of room, a knock came from a second door. Ears went up as the canine figure fixed his composure and he cleared his throat.

“Come on in,” he commanded, watching the door gently open.
“Good evening, Lord Krow…” a meek voice escaped the frail messenger, his helmet hanging partially over his baby blue eyes and sandy blond hair.

“Ah, good evening to you too, Shaun, do you bring news to me?”
“Yes, sir, I do,” he barely managed to get the stuttering words out of his mouth, fumbling with his uniform as he came in and took a deep breath. He opened his mouth before his superior held out his hand.

“First, tell me Shaun…is this news I want to hear?”

The young messenger swallowed hard, his ears pinned back and the pupils of his eyes dilating in fear. It definitely was not news he knew Krow wanted to hear, but an order was an order, especially from General Aaron.

“W-Well, sir,” he began, swallowing down hard as he meekly smiled, “you see…General Aaron and his platoon returned from searching the home that the Rycorisan princess and her fosters lived in…”

The subject immediately caught Krow’s interest and he gave his full attention. He could sense something from the cowardly messenger.

“Go on,” he commanded firmly, his brows furrowing as he felt anger starting to build up.

“Well, my lord, they found four out of the five bodies…the bodies of the two foster parents and their daughter and son.”

“What about the Princess? Did they find her corpse among the debris?!” Krow barked out, slamming his palms onto the table and glaring at the trembling messenger.

Shaun could feel his knees buckle as the lord shot daggers at him. He didn’t have to say anymore, he knew that Krow practically read his mind. He flinched as Krow rose and let out a squeal when the angry man grabbed his collar.

“Exactly how does one escape from a burning building when its under siege, Shaun?! Do tell me now!” Krow released the young boy and let out a angry snarl, resuming his spot near the window.
“I-I don’t know, sir…W-Would you like me to give any commands to General Aaron, sir?”

Krow’s broad muzzle lifted up into a smirk as he turned towards him.
“Ah, yes, I do have some orders. Tell General Aaron if that damn princess isn’t found soon, that he and his lovely platoon will become lunchmeat for the Dracos! Now, away with you! And don’t return until any evidence of the princess is found!” The scared messenger hurried away, slamming the door behind him.

Looking back out at the large mountain range, Krow snorted. He was furious, his efforts foiled by whatever flaw happened at the ambush that night.

“Princess Kozakura, you are lucky this time…but I’ll make sure the next time I see your face…you’ll regret seeing your dear old uncle after a long time.”

The sun was high in the clear blue skies as the countryside of the Creon laid empty and waiting for travelers to walk upon its dusty path. It was lonely as winds covered tracks of years past when citizens migrated from the capitol into the wilderness to escape the strict laws of the city. A light breeze swept across the land, gently swaying the millions of blades in a wave-like motion. It wasn’t too hot or too cold for any living being that took the opportunity to explore the balanced day.

Hooves pounded against the dirt as a large winged stallion descended from a hill, carrying a lone figure and supplies upon his back. His coloration was black, highlighted by a light tint of the same dark color with bunches of fur under his chin and his chest to his belly. Large wings were tucked at his sides, sharing the same coloration of his fur. Shaking his head, his jet black mane tossed as he turned his head to glance at his rider.

"Princess," he thought, ears flicking up in alert as his rider lifted her head, "Where are we off to now?"

The Princess made direct eye contact with his emerald green eyes, and gave the feathered equine a smile.

“Dear Apollo, we travel along the path,” her smile twisted into a cocky smirk. “Or did you forget already?”

Apollo’s ear pinned back, his nostrils flaring wide as he turned his head, letting his mane cover his eyes.

"My deepest apologies, Princess Kozakura, it seems it truly did slip my mind."

Kozakura lifted her head with a victorious grin, knowing that even though she was higher in status, Apollo was by far much wiser than her and even was her personal advisor at times. The fairly built young woman was in her later teens, but her short stature gave her the deceiving appearance of a young child. She had dark brown, almost blackish, long hair, reaching past her mid back when standing her full height. The Princess’s eyes were warm grey color, often containing determination and confidence when she let herself get cocky at others.

The silence around them was rewarding, as they had no fear of watchful eyes. Their kind wasn’t exactly wanted in the kingdom of Creon, as they knew of the law that dreaded over their heads. Apollo was a species only found in the borders of Rycoris, and well, Kozakura knew that even a word got out that she was Rycorisan that her life wouldn’t be spared even if they knew she was royalty. Creon had cruel laws, especially since most of them dealt with the king’s word being law, how poorly women are treated, and that Rycorisans are scum and should be slaughter-ed like cows. Besides, she was a wanted being, even if she was presumed dead.

The young princess snapped out of her mindless day dream to focus on the road ahead. Something caught her eye—a massive group, maybe people, coming their way. They were in the middle of nowhere, who would be out here?

Kozakura pulled on Apollo’s reins abruptly and hard, causing the flying equine to rear up a bit and land on the ground with a thud, causing dirt to swirl up like a tornado around his hooves.

Apollo’s head swerved back to look at his rider, confused. "Your highness, what’s wrong?" He anxiously was pawing the ground with his hoof.

“Hush!” She snapped, watching her friend’s ears pin back into his ebony mane. “Listen. Do you hear what I’m hearing?”

Apollo’s ear resumed upright and perked as he closed his eyes to concentrate on the sound. He could feel the ground beneath his figure vibrate slightly. He could feel the pounding of a few horses and dozens of boots. A distant whinny of a fellow equine caused his eyes to open as his dragon-like tail lashed against the ground.

"Creonian platoon, Princess!" he urgently whinnied, his wings beginning to unfold to escape through flight.

“Put your wings away, Apollo! We’re too far away for them to see who we really are. Now, use your mahou to give yourself an illusion of a normal horse!” Kozakura knew mahou was the only way, even though the practice of the Rycorisan magic was nearly extinct.

"But why can’t you? Your mahou is perfectly—"

“No time for questioning, Apollo. I haven’t practiced that casting in a while and you’re by far much more advanced than me!” Kozakura quickly fitted a hooded cape to her neck and pulled the hood over her head.

Apollo sighed in defeat, relaxing his muscles and concentrating. Mahou took patience and lots of practice to master. As his mind began to let his thoughts drift freely as the illusion began to start. He appeared smaller, and his wings no longer existed. His long and thick dragon tail was replaced with a tail that shared the same coloring as his mane. Once the illusion covered him completely, he pawed one of his ivory colored hooves. To an unknowing person, he was now a black stallion with a jet black mane and tail while white stockings decorated all four of his legs and a blaze marked its way on the bridge of his nose.

"The illusion is set, your highness."

“Good, now act natural and stay closer to the side of the path,” Kozakura breathed steadily, gently whipping the reins to make Apollo move forward. “We don’t need any conflict.”

The two groups approached each other and Kozakura lifted her head to examine the platoon approaching quickly. In the lead was a gorgeous white horse with a strongly built man on its back. He looked young, but Kozakura wasn’t absolutely sure. Two dusty brown horses with what seemed lower ranked men to control most of the platoon followed behind their leader. Behind the three riders what seemed about fifty men trailing behind their officers in exhaustion.

Apollo passed the white horse, taking a moment to take in her beauty. Distracted, he almost bumped into one of the soldiers before Kozakura sharply tugged the reins to go off the road. The sunlight reflected a long object attached to the side of Apollo’s saddle.

This caught the leader of the platoon’s eye. His hands gripped tightly onto his horse’s reins and pulled to the side. “Lieutenants, keep leading the platoon. I’ll be right back.” The two gave a salute before continuing to lead the platoon as the superior gently kicked his legs into his horse’s side. “C’mon, Teru, let’s go check out that traveler and their mysterious item.” The white horse whinnied and began to follow Apollo and Kozakura.

Apollo’s ears twitched, "They’re following us, Princess."

“Just keep calm, Apollo…” She shushed.

“Stop your horse this instance, traveler!” The man shouted. “Otherwise I’ll arrest you!”

Kozakura rolled her eyes and pulled on his reins. “What could you possibly be stopping me for, officer?” She watched him from underneath her hood and cleared her throat, anxiety beginning to build up in her body.

“Is that a sword you possess at your horse’s side? By Creonian law, it exceeds the length a civilian can handle and own unless they required a permit. Do you have a permit?”

Kozakura flared her nostrils, turning Apollo fully to him. “If I may ask, who are you exactly?”

“I am Colonel Nicholas of the Creonian Army and the leader of this platoon. Now, if you do not show me your permit or hand over the sword, you will be placed under custody.” A low growl emitted from his throat, “and remove your hood, and that is an order.”

Kozakura gave a laugh and shook the hood off her head. “Is this better for you? Now, I’d love to stay and chat, but I must hurry.” She didn’t own a permit and getting arrested wasn’t on her agenda for the day. “Toodles! C’mon, Apollo, run!” She kicked hard and lashed the reins, sending Apollo in a fast gallop.

Colonel Nicholas growled and looked back at his platoon. “Lieutenants and soldiers, ready your bows and arrows and after them!” He allowed the men to run ahead of him, drawing their bows with sharply pointed arrows. The two lieutenants began to catch up with Kozakura.

Kozakura looked back and let out a gasp. “Damnit, they’re gaining!” She looked down at Apollo and bit her lip. “Fly, Apollo!”

"But, you told me not to!"

“That was before we were in trouble. Just fly already!”

Apollo spread his wings, breaking the illusion and revealing his normal form of a ryoma. With a flap of the wings, he took off.
“A Ryoma?!” Colonel Nicholas snarled. “Fire the arrows at its wings! We have a Rycorisan on our hands!”

The platoon fired their arrows in masses at Apollo, who rode the wind to avoid them. He miscalculated and a arrow pierced his wing. Panicked, Apollo lowered himself to the ground and landed clumsily, spilling Kozakura onto the dirt path.

Heavy coughing sputtered out of the princess’ mouth as she began to regain consciousness from the fall. When the dust cleared, she found herself face-to-face with a spear nearly inches from her nose. She swallowed hard, barely being able to force the spit that collected in her mouth down.

Kozakura started to snarl before she felt her arms go back and a yelp escaped her mouth. Tightly bound ropes dug into her wrists. She struggled and at the burning of her skin made her cringed. Her eyes were wide and fiery as she stared up at the military personnel that stood above her.

“Now, you won’t be doing that again, do you, Miss?” A cocky smile was plastered on the Colonel’s face as he heaved the girl up and over his shoulder.

“Men, clip the wings of that Ryoma. He’ll be a fancy pack mule for our things.”

Kozakura grumbled. It was going to be a long ride.

The author's comments:
Creonians have European names whiles Rycorisans have Asian names. Yuri is a exception, but I can't ruin it :3

Staying steady on a horse was hard, especially since she couldn’t use her hands to balance herself. Scowling, Kozakura glared at Nicholas as he sat in front of her. She would’ve injured him by now if it wasn’t for dozens of his men behind them and watching her every move, even if she tried to scratch something on her body. The ride was boring. She hated it and despised all of the men that surrounded her. Kozakura released a heavy snort and stared at the dirt path below.

“So, what’s your name?” Kozakura lifted her head up at Nicholas’ question, who was glancing back at her. “I told you mine, but you never informed me of yours.”

“Sakura,” she blurted out, turning her head away. Good alias and cover up. “What’s it to you?”

“I’m just curious. To tell you the truth…I really don’t think I’ll be handing you over to the higher ups.”

His words perked Kozakura’s curiosity, but she didn’t put her trust into his words. Her eyebrow quirked and she frowned. “Why? So you and your silly little pawns can do whatever they please with me? That’s very flattering of you, Nicholas.”

“That’s Colonel to you, Miss Sakura. And no, my men and I are not like that.” He snorted and looked ahead. “Perhaps a little cross-dressing and becoming our water boy would be a better idea. How does that sound to you, hm?” Kozakura wanted to smack that smirk right off of his face.

Kozakura thought about it. A water boy, especially to a Creonian platoon would give them less reason to search their own men for any Rycorisans. It would be a completely new experience, that’s for sure. Short hair, amazing but heavy armor to protect her…it sounded like heaven for her. The thought of eating every day was a warm one, especially since she wouldn’t have to snare or catch the game herself.

“So if I become your water boy, my charges are dropped and I don’t get thrown in jail?”

“You got it. You can keep your Ryoma too. What was that thing he did earlier?”

Kozakura felt relieved she could keep Apollo by her side. Kozakura raised her eyebrow at his strange question. “His illusion?” she asked.

“Yeah, the illusion he did to appear as an ordinary horse. Do you think you could keep that on him to avoid suspicions from my superiors?”

She smirked. “Sure thing, Colonel, I can ask him to do that for your sake. It seems quite particular that a loyal Colonel to the kingdom would dare defile his superiors. Isn’t that against some type of law to hide a fugitive? First offering me a position as your water boy, and now trying to conceal Apollo’s true identity. Playing traitor, are we?”

Nicholas froze and chuckled. “I’m not like the monstrous men in this country, Sakura. I don’t treat them with disrespect. They’re vital to our survival on this planet.” He cleared his throat and looked at her. “And ask Apollo? What, can you talk to them or something?”

“We use telepathy, if you want the truth. Very helpful to make sure the rider and the creature are on the same page.” Kozakura’s eye looked at the white mare she was on top of. “Who’s this beautiful mare? Does she have a name? I caught Apollo gawking over her when we were trying to pass.”

“Teru. I’ve had her ever since she was a filly. She’s a good girl and listens pretty well, but I’m the only one she’ll listen to. No one really knows why,” he laughed, “it makes me feel special that she trusts me.”

Smiling bright, Kozakura gently patted Teru’s rear. “Hello, Teru!”

"Hello to you too," Miss Sakura, Teru responded with a flick of her tail.

Kozakura froze and grinned. She must be able to understand her through telepathy. After all, it was used through the help of mahou, which must of affected the white mare when Kozakura was around. Still excited, Kozakura turned to Nicholas.

“Where’s the next town, Colonel?”

“It’s right there, Sakura,”

Nicholas smirked. “Come on, Teru, let’s go!” He’s not going to, is he? “Hang on as much as you can, Sakura!” A loud squeal barely escaped the girl’s lips as the white horse bolted, and she hung on by tightly squeezing her legs to Teru’s flank.

*****

When the platoon entered the town, Kozakura took her time to enjoy the sights and the sounds of everyone bustling. The place was very unkempt and many of the buildings were abandoned and untouched from any signs of life. Businesses going bankrupt from the corrupted economy left many civilians with empty bellies and dry mouths. It didn’t help that the taxes in the country skyrocketed a few months back, making it nearly impossible to purchase anything without getting empty pockets in the end.

Kozakura’s eyes landed on the military registration centered perfectly in the town’s square. All of the towns had one. It was required under King Absalom’s law that men must enroll in the military unless they were part of a family business. With her face scrunched up, Kozakura slowly let her eyes wander back to Nicholas.

“So, registration’s first, Colonel?”

“Not quite,” he spoke up, pulling the reins to stop Teru. “All right men, I’m giving you a break! Be prepared to head out in three days!” The men scattered as Nicholas dismounted from his horse, helping the bonded girl off.

“First, you’ll need a haircut. Men with long hair are looked frowned upon in the military and suspicions will rise. We don’t need that, do we now?”

With Teru tied up to a post, Nicholas guided Kozakura into the barbershop, faking a bright smile as the bell of the door rang to announce their arrival.

A large man with a protruding belly appeared from the back of the store, his curly mustache disguising his mouth beneath bushy brown, “Welcome! Welcome! Ah, Colonel Nicholas, is that a new recruit, I see? Are you sneaking ladies in the military now?” His boisterous laughter made Kozakura’s ears pin back in pain. Kozakura felt his large hands on her shoulders, leading her to the back to give her a new look.

It wasn’t even thirty minutes when Kozakura saw her result in the mirror. She no longer looked like a girl. Her hair was chopped short with thick bangs that draped over her face. With a sigh, Kozakura walked back out to where Nicholas had been waiting for the last half-an-hour. A huff of anger escaped her lips as she folded her arms, shooting an unamused glare at her soon-to-be superior.

“How do I look, Colonel?” She asked, watching the young man swerve his head around before letting out a laugh.

“My, I almost didn’t recognize you, Sakura! Or should we call you Zak? That’s a much more Creonian name than any name we could get. Now, you can’t ride your steed, you'll have to walk, and you’ll have to do whatever the soldiers say minus anything inappropriate. If someone asks, you come and tell me immediately. Now, let’s go get you registered so we can relax.”

Registration was over before even Kozakura realized it had begun. She listened to the orders of those around her, especially for taking her thumb prints and other meanings of identification that the military used. Her hair was fixed from any flaws the barber left, and she was grateful for when a doctor from Nicholas’ platoon stepped up to do her checkup. It was embarrassing, but it was better than practically announcing to everyone who she truly was with her trademark stripes.

Relieved it was over, she found herself sticking near Nicholas. While the other men ran off to woo any girls or to guzzle down alcohol, Kozakura was content in staying where she was and not getting into trouble. She flinched at the sudden touch as Apollo pushed his muzzle into her shoulder and gave a comforting noise. Kozakura turned and gave a soft smile, gently running her hand along the bridge of his nose.

“Thanks, Apollo,” she nudged the equine lovingly. “It means a lot to me.”

"Anything to keep you tension low, your majesty. I try to do my best."

Soft giggling nearby caused Kozakura to swerve her head and noticed a few girls approaching her. Swallowing hard, her ears went way back as they continued to get closer.

“Um, hello there,” Kozakura managed to say, trying to keep her tone realistic to her current persona. “May I help you with something?”

One of the girls inched forward, gently kicking at the ground with her shoe. “Well,” she released another fit of giggles, “Our friend was wondering if you’d go on a date with her.”

Speechless, Kozakura blinked a few times before glancing around nervously. “Well, you see…”

“Go on, Zak,” chuckled Nicholas, “It’ll be a good experience for you.” Kozakura knew he was hollering with laughter on the inside behind the smirk that was plastered on his face. Sighing in defeat, she glanced back at the group of girls with an unamused look.

“Sure, whatever makes her happy, I guess.” Kozakura rolled her shoulders lightly before giving off a small yelp as the girl gripped her wrist tightly. “Hey! Ouch! Not so tight and hard!”

The strange group of girls lead Kozakura to a nearby building before pushing her forward. The sudden push made Kozakura trip over her feet before catching herself. Fixing her composure, the young girl looked around.

“So, where is she exactly?”

“Yuri!” One of the girls called before backing away. “We brought him!”

Before Kozakura could register what was happening, the group of girls had vanished and one she didn’t recognized appeared. She had hair black as the night and her eyes were an unusual shade of violet. Clearing her throat, Kozakura stepped forward.

“So, you must be Yuri, hm?”

The girl gave a soft nod and stepped forward a bit before taking a few more steps, scooping one of Kozakura’s hands into hers’.

“Come on, let’s go inside.” Yuri didn’t even wait for Kozakura to respond, she just dragged her inside the empty building.

The silence between the two happened for a long time, and Kozakura was getting more nervous as each second passed. With a big inhale, the young princess cleared her throat.

“So, Yuri, exactly what would you like to do?”

“Well…I was thinking…maybe, um….a kiss?” Her voice was quiet and unsure about what she just said. Kozakura stared at her for a bit in disbelief of what came out of the other girl’s mouth.

“Are…you serious?”

Yuri inched closer and stuck out her lower lip into a pout. Her eyes were big and the whole face gave Kozakura a guilt trip.


“Okay…fine…but just on the cheek…”

As Yuri moved closer, Kozakura took two steps back for every step she took until she hit the wall. Uncomfortable, Kozakura pushed Yuri away.

“Never mind…look, Yuri,” Kozakura moved away from the wall and gave a sigh. “I’m not really a boy, okay? I’m a girl with her hair cut short as a result of disobeying Creonian laws and being part of their dumb military is my punishment.” Kozakura watched Yuri’s face turn from an upset expression to an expression full of laughter.

“Oh boy! What did you do that made them drag you into their warfare?!” She cackled and sat down. “Anyways, I guess you should go back to the military, huh?” She snorted.

“I suppose so,” Kozakura murmured and dusted off the uniform. “By the way, my real name is Kozakura, Princess Kozakura of the Rycorisan Kingdom.” She laughed nervously. “Don’t tell anyone though, all right?”

Yuri smiled. “You have my word. I hope to see you later, Kozakura. Maybe our paths will intersect in the future.”

“Yeah, well, see you later, Yuri.”

When Kozakura returned to the platoon, Nicholas smiled and wrapped his arm around the princess’s shoulder and gave her a playful nudge.

“So, how did your first date go, shrimp?”

“Colonel, if you don’t get off of me, I swear to the bringers I’m going to hit you.”

The rolling green hills never seemed to end as the platoon and Kozakura moved on. Nicholas and the captains were the only ones allowed on horseback, and Kozakura’s feet were beginning to ache from the few days travel. Her eyes travelled up to glance at her superior officer. He was concentrating hard on something in the distance, and Kozakura was willing to risk if she could squeeze it out of him.


“So, Colonel,” she began, clearing her throat of the mucus that built up, “Where are we headed to now?”


Nicholas’ eyes down casted on her, his expression just as serious as it was before. “We’re meeting up with Prince Rhulo to give him a report. So I expect you to be on your best behavior when I am talking to him, do you understand?”

Kozakura rolled her eyes, “Yes, Sir, I understand.” As soon as Nicholas wasn’t looking, she mocked him silently. Apollo gave her a nudge to disapprove of her beahvior.


As the platoon climbed the hill, Kozakura took in the amazing sights that laid before her. There were plains of waving green grass with brown lines in the distance marking paths between villages, while the large Konkos Mountains were hidden away by the lush green forest that spread as far as the eye could see. Smoke billowed out of a nearby village as the sound of approaching hooves snapped Kozakura out of her daydream.


“Good morning, Prince Rhulo,” Nicholas gently bowed his head in the presence of the current heir of the Creonian Kingdom, “It is good to see you, again.” Rhulo pulled back the reins of his white steed and gave a warm smile.


“Lift your head, Colonel. There is no need for formalities. We have been great friends since we were children, I don’t expect it from you. Now, I assume you bring me a report?”


“Yes, in fact, I do,” Nicholas raised his head. “There has been no sign of danger in the area I patrolled. However, we did capture what we think is a rebel,” Kozakura noticed the glance over at her, “However, we offered him to become our platoon’s water boy while confiscating his possessions.”


Kozakura’s ear gave a twitch when she looked at Apollo. She could hear rustling, and the look of Apollo’s face made her even more suspicious. Approaching her steed carefully, Kozakura lifted up his enormous wing, revealing Yuri, who was clutching onto the fur and feathered mixture of Apollo’s body.


“Yuri? What are you doing here?” Kozakura asked, raising an eyebrow upward.


“Hey ‘Zak’!” She giggled at the alias her new friend had to use. “What’s up?”


The new voice made Prince Rhulo and Nicholas glance over, which Rhulo reacted by pulling his horse over.


“You’re that wanted criminal that’s been posted around Athinos! You’re known for destroying entire villages and towns!” Rhulo leapt immediately off his white stallion and walked over to Apollo before ripping Yuri off his feathers. “You’re coming back with me, young miss. The king will be overjoyed to see that you’re captured,” Rhulo looked up at Nicholas while still keeping Yuri in arrest, “Colonel Nicholas, General Conorado is waiting a few miles walk from here for you and your platoon. He has orders for you.” The prince heaved Yuri onto his steed before lifting himself onto the saddle. “Better not keep him wait, I’ll be fine alone with the prisoner.” He gently whipped the reins, “Let’s go, Acul!” The white stallion reared and began to gallop off down where the platoon came from.


Kozakura glanced at her superior slowly before flinching way at the cold glare he gave her. Her ears flattened against her hair and she gave a nervous smile. “What’s wrong, Colonel?”


“That was the girl you had a supposed date with?”


“Yeah?”


“She is a wanted criminal! What if she killed you, Sakura?”


“Look, I didn’t know she was a criminal! She seemed really nice when I was talking with her the other day! Don’t blame me for an honest mistake!” She snapped back before folding her arms. “Can we just go meet up with the General now?”


“Pushy, aren’t we?” Nicholas grinned before turning Teru to face his platoon. “All right, men! You better be on your best behavior when we are in the prescence of General Conorado! No horseplay is allowed and you must act mature! I don’t want to seem like I’m in charge of a bunch of idiots!” With that, Nicholas turned his mare and began leading off.


With a tug of Apollo’s reins, Kozakura followed close by. She was frustrated. Why couldn’t she ride her own steed? It was ridiculous she had to follow such rules, but any sign of rebellion and surely the Colonel would punish her. With the many men following suit behind her and with the Colonel and his loyal followers close by. Well, escape was now out of the picture.

*****


The sun was set at high noon when Kozakura and the platoon finally arrived at the camp. Tents lined up neatly in rows as activity bustled about the site. Boisterous laughter and crude behavior made Kozakura’s stomach churn in anxiety. She began to doubt her ability to actually act like those around her, either that or just pray to Jikangami that somehow the Colonel would cover for her.


An intimidating man trotted over on the grey stallion he rode, pulling the reins slightly to take a look at the younger ranked man. His ice-blue eyes were cold and dull, lacking any emotion from the years of war he had faced. This was no game to him. Clearing his throat, he raised his chin high. “Good afternoon, Colonel Nicholas, I see you and your puny platoon made it here in one piece. I hope the journey wasn’t too rough on your men.”


“Thank you, General Conorado.” Nicholas gave a nervous smile as he straightened his posture. “It was no problem at all, my men have been training day and night as Bellona strengthens their bodies and minds for this war.”


General Conorado’s eyes made contact with Kozakura’s, noticing how her muscles tensed and how she became stiff. “Who is this, Colonel?”


“Oh! That’s Zak, he was interested in joining the military at a town we visited a few days ago, so we registered him right up in the town and now he’s our official water boy! You know how I’ve been dying to get one for my men to push around.” The hoard of men behind Nicholas chuckled a bit. Kozakura, however, was not pleased with their reaction.


“Water boy or not, are you preparing him to become a full fledge soldier eventually? Did you even test the boy’s ability to fight, Colonel?”


“Not yet, Sir, but I will as soon as my men and I settle down.”


“You have permission to be dismissed, but I would like to see you after you finishing sparing with that boy.”


“Thank you, Sir,” Nicholas turned to his men, “Men, you are dismissed! Get ready to settle down for a few days and replenish your strength! However, do not become too lax otherwise we’re going have to start doing training every day again!” The crowd cheered and departed. Kozakura and Nicholas were alone.


“All right, Sakura,” Nicholas spoke. “Come follow me, we must prepare you with a uniform to withstand the oncoming winter season.” With a light flick of the reins, Teru began to walk towards a tent in the middle of the campsite. Kozakura followed cautiously after, keeping her faithful steed nearby to offer a little more protection.


As they approached the tent, Nicholas dismounted and looked at Kozakura. “Come on in when you’re ready, Sakura.” He disappeared into the tent.


Apollo glanced at Kozakura before giving her a soft nuzzle, "I’ll be right here when you return, Princess. There is no need to fear," he reassured her, adjusting his weight on his hooves. Kozakura softly smile and ran her fingers along the bridge of his nose.


“Thank you, Apollo, just keep watch for me,” She patted the side of his neck before following into the tent after Nicholas. The contents of the tent shocked the young princess as the luxurious items were made suit for a king. With a roll of her eyes, she continued to look around, “Nice place, Colonel, they sure treat you like royalty.”


“Compared to the tents for the actual royalty, this is scum quality,” Nicholas said, pulling out a small uniform. “Here, this is your uniform. You’re allowed to change in here if you like. No one will bother you. Just come out when you’re ready.” He gave a respected nod before heading out of the tent.


Holding out the uniform, Kozakura observed the clothing she was going to be wearing for the frigid winter months that were going to gnaw at her skin like a hungry animal. Well, the insulated uniform was a good thing, along with the boots that she just noticed. With a heavy sigh, Kozakura removed her old clothing. She fixed the bindings on her chest to appear more flat. She was grateful that the uniform hid most of her stripes that decorated her body. Kozakura grabbed some long bandages off of her arms and wrapped the linen around her tail. “There, now no one will know my nationality.” Looking at the uniform, she slipped it on quickly. Finishing up, Kozakura placed on the boots and headed out. “Apollo, where’s the Colonel?”


He’s waiting for you at the blacksmith. I suggest leaving your sword here, your highness.


Kozakura groaned, “If you insist, Apollo.” She removed the elongated sword from his side and slid it into the Colonel’s tent before running off to find where the blacksmith tent was. It didn’t take long as a few soldiers helped her find the way, and she arrived slightly out of breath. “Sorry for taking so long, Colonel.”


“Don’t worry about it. For now, we must replace the Rycorisan sword you carry with a proper Creonian sword. Could you even lift that weapon?”


“No, not really, Colonel,” Kozakura rolled her shoulders, “It was much more of family heirloom than a weapon used in battle. However, I was told it was used eons ago in battle, but it may just be a ridiculous rumor passed down from elder to children.”


“Then a sword we must get you.” He slipped into the blacksmith tent and glanced around. “Paul? I’m here to buy a sword.”


“A new sword, Colonel Nicholas? I was sure the last sword I made you was crafted from the most durable steel. Are you calling my work unreliable?” A gruff voice said and appeared a large muscular man. “I’m quite insulted.”


“The sword is not for me, Paul, it’s for my newest recruit.” Nicholas motioned towards Kozakura. “The sword he brought is too long for him to wield.”


“I see,” Paul glanced around before grabbing a simplistic sword. “How about this beauty? It’s crafted with steel and very durable. It’s a good choice for a beginner at wielding a sword.”


Nicholas examined the sword for a few moments before a glimmer of shine caught his eye. Pushing pass the blacksmith, Nicholas removed a beautifully crafted sword, it’s handle made of red leather with golden plating. “How about this one? This is a beautiful sword.”


Paul narrowed his eyes and returned the sword to its spot. “That sword is far too expensive and for a much advanced wielder of the sword. I can understand if you wanted it to replace yours, but for this shrimp? It’s far too heavy.”


“He can adjust,” Nicholas rummaged in his pocket and pulled out a leather bag jingling with coins. “Is this enough gold for the sword?”


“That’s more than enough, but Colonel, wouldn’t you much—“


Take the gold or I’ll find a new blacksmith to replace you.”

Sighing in defeat, Paul took the bag of gold and turned his back. “Get out of my tent.”

Nicholas ushered Kozakura out of the tent and handed her the sword. “You owe me big time, shrimp. That’s one of his best swords. Now, shall we go show the General your sparing capability?”

Kozakura grinned, “You bet!”

*****

When Colonel Nicholas and Kozakura arrived at the clearing, a crowd already had gathered into a circle. Kozakura groaned and looked at her superior. “Did he advertise or something? This is beyond ridiculous!”

“Don’t complain, we won’t seriously injure each other. Now go warm up.”

Grumbling, Kozakura walked away from the Colonel and pass a few men, her ears flat against her head and a determined look on her face.

“Hey shrimp, you’re never gonna beat the Colonel!”

“Are you asking for a death wish, kid? It seems like it!”

Kozakura stopped in her tracks and swerve to glare at them. “I’ll prove to you I can beat him! I’ll shove his face into the dirt and make him eat it!”

After a few moments of warming up, Nicholas and Kozakura took their spots and readied their swords.

“Both soldiers may begin whenever ready!”

Kozakura and Nicholas smirked at the same time, but Kozakura made the first move. She charged with the sword ready before swinging it at Nicholas. Nicholas blocked the hit with his own sword, the metals screeching as the friction scratched them against each other. Kozakura pulled away her sword and swung again, nearly smashing the weapon into Nicholas’ side before he dodged.

“My, what moves, Zak!” Nicholas laughed, fixing the grip on his sword and raised it. “I’m fairly impressed that one short as you has such talent!”

“Shut up and quit insulting my height!” Kozakura snapped, before charging again and slamming her weapon against his, pushing her weight against it. “I’ll make you eat those words!”

Nicholas gasped and fought back with force. A smirk spread across his face and he side step, watching Kozakura fall onto the grass face first, her sword falling a bit of ways. “Next time, don’t be so cocky and let your guard down. If I was the enemy, I would have killed you after you fell,” he sheathed his sword and helped Kozakura onto her feet.

Kozakura dusted the dirt and grass off her uniform and sighed. “Well, you won fair and square, Colonel. Good spar, wasn’t it?”

“That it was. I was very impressed on your techniques, especially with a new sword.”

“Colonel Nicholas!” General Conorado called out, walking up to the colonel and Kozakura. “I must say, that was quite impressive. Now that I have seen your abilities as a leader, now it’s time to command you your order.”

Nicholas raised an eyebrow and cleared his throat, “Whatever it may be, General, my men and I will fight for the honor of the Creonian kingdom! Now, what’s your order, Sir?”

“You and your platoon must journey over the Konkos Mountains and into Rycoris. We have heard that the Emperor and his main platoon are in a village called Kajwa. Invade the village and destroy everything. When you are done, return back to Athinos immediately.”

With a right handed salute, Nicholas nodded. “Yes, sir!”

“And I found a sword from the Eastern coast in your tent, so I’m confiscating it and taking it back to the capitol. May Temdea keep you and your men safe, Nicholas, as they’re going to need all the help they can get.”

The general climbed onto his steed and kicked his feet against its sides. The general was out of sight and Kozakura stood there, dumbfounded of what just happened.

She was going have to fight her own people.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


emmajohnstin said...
on May. 28 2012 at 5:50 pm
emmajohnstin, Waxhaw, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
sounds good, can't wait to keep reading!

on May. 27 2012 at 8:41 pm
Kozakura BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen closely." - Littlefoot's Mother, The Land Before Time

Thanks!  I'll check it out after my finals are done.  The story's not completely finished as it is a collaboration between my friend and I, but I have to retype what we write short-hand into paragraphs.  I plan on writing more for it, but I'll probably change the point of view to the main protagonist.

emmajohnstin said...
on May. 25 2012 at 3:29 pm
emmajohnstin, Waxhaw, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I really liked this story so far, although I haven't had time to finish it yet. I think that you use dialougue really well in the story. Maybe if you have time you can check out my book, "A Stupid Idea"