Her Soul | Teen Ink

Her Soul

May 18, 2012
By Savannah Casey, Metairie, Louisiana
More by this author
Savannah Casey, Metairie, Louisiana
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I look up, there he is. Whoever he is. All I know was that I was dragged here... carried really. But I don’t know who carried me, or where I was carried to.

I know, that behind his back, there was a knife. I looked around me, there was a small light, that lit the room dimly. I could only see that my kidnapper had dirty blond, brownish hair. I couldn’t see his eyes. Which was some-what a good thing.

I needed to get out of here, he was going to kill me if I didn’t. Maybe he would come back if I did. But I could feel that he was going to kill me... I just knew it.

I tried to stand up, but he had bound my arms and legs. Not only that, but I had duct tape, over my lips. He kneeled in front of me. I looked at him, trying to soak in any features I could see.

He had set his knife down to rip the duct tape off of my mouth. It hurt like hell! I yelled in pain. He seemed to smirk at that... my pain. I writhed in my spot, clenching my fists, and shutting my eyes.
He picked up his knife, still smirking. The boy took my hand, revealing my palm. He cut deep into the middle of it, I yelled again. I looked at my hand, but I tried to calm down, and relax, but I still squirmed.It’s not my fault. My lips were burning, and felt like they were on fire, like when someone slaps you. And my palm, was stinging with pain, as blood gushed from the wound.
He raises the knife again, cutting the inside of my arm. He made some kind of marking... I couldn’t tell what it was, because blood shortly covered it. Not to mention the fact that I was still squirming in pain.
He seemed to like the sound of me screaming in pain. The boy was one strange creature. I looked at him, and it seemed like I knew him... Like we knew each other.
As I tried to find his eyes, under the shadows, I could tell that he glared at me. He raised His knife once more.
I’m going to die, I thought... It was true. He plunged his knife, deep into my heart. I yelped, and was cut off. The pain right before my life slipped away was pain, that words could not describe. It was worse, than breaking every bone in your body but living through it.

It didn’t matter now, I was dead.. gone... lost for forever. All of the pain was over, but something else wasn’t. I was a drifting soul. For now... something in my head told me. I looked at the sky, then back at my lifeless body.
I decided to follow my killer, and figure out who he was. I floated behind him, watching his movement. I recognized him... part of me did. Which is saying something because all that’s left of me is my soul... my essence.
I followed him back to a house, where it was dark, but I could the glimmer of weapons. They were covering the walls. I shuddered, looking at them all. Butterfly knives, throwing knives, plain old knives, guns... It was cool... but scary at the same time.
He walked into another room, where there was adequate lighting, enough for me to see his eyes. They were bright green. I gasped, though I was completely silent. It was Luke... I loved him, and he killed me...
No... That can’t be right. NO!!!My thoughts screamed in my head. There had to be something wrong with that situation. He couldn’t have killed me. I had to find proof that it wasn’t him.
I went through the walls walking like a person now. Luke did have a brother... with brown eyes... he hated me. It could’ve been James!!! I thought at once. I then saw James walk into the house. He walked into the room Luke was in, not knowing it. He also still had my blood on him.
It was him... He killed me...
“Dude, why are you covered in blood?” Luke asks. I’m overhearing this conversation.
“I got mugged and beaten,” James says flatly. On the inside I can tell he’s still laughing.
“It’s not your blood, you would look different..” Luke studies him suspecting something.
“Really? How would you know?” James asks, feeling a little nervous now.
Luke laughs, “How would I not know? Bro, I know what a cut looks like.”
James steps away a little, “Right... So um...”
Luke narrows his eyes, “James, whats wrong? You look like you’ve witnessed a murder,”
“You could say that...” He mutters.
Luke face-palms himself, then really looks at him a little horrified, “Who?”
“What?” James asks, looking at Luke.
“You know what I mean. Who did you kill?” Luke asks, a little more than just aggravated.
James looks at him and smirks, “You know the person. Closely too,”
“James....” Luke pauses, “NO! You didn’t! Tell me you didn’t kill her!”
“We both know a lot of ‘hers’...” James says still smirking.
“You know who I mean!” Luke doesn’t want to say my name, he... he’s afraid it was me. If I could cry, I’d be crying right now.
“You mean, that slut with the black and red hair? Yeah,” James yelled at Luke. I was no slut, I wanted to slap him, but I couldn’t.
Luke pins him to the wall, “Damn it James! I loved her! Why?!? Why did you kill her?”
James kicks him off easily, “My choices, and I don’t have to let you inside my mind. So... You don’t have to know,” He walks away, I run after him and try to tackle him, but I just go straight through him thinking I’m going to kill you James!
He stops walking, and turns back to Luke, “Did you hear that?” He asks, sounding crazy.
“Hear what?” Luke asks him, walking towards James. Ha! he could hear my thoughts when I passed through him... which would mean.. Could I talk to Luke like that? I thought.
“Her voice... I could hear her voice...”James looks around cautiously.
“Maybe it’s guilt...” Luke says walking to his room, holding back his tears, until he was there. I go to him and hug him, though he can’t feel it for all I know.
“I’m sorry,” I whisper silently. I can’t talk at all. Then I think it. He freezes for a second then lies down on his bed, crying softly. He soon fell asleep, or that’s what I thought. I stand there, invisible to everyone, for a little longer.

I walk back to the room they had been talking in. James isn’t there. I walk into the room where weapons were on the walls. I find that a gun, and a few throwing knives are missing. I turn back to Luke’s room, to find out he’s not even there.
I go outside the house and float above it, searching for them. I found Luke first. He was looking for something... My body most likely. I float down to him. I sit next to him, laying my head on his shoulder, careful not to phase through him.
I move in front of Luke, he lifts his head looking straight in front of him. “I love you, Luke,” I say. Of course I’m silent. He looks... almost at me... Can he see me?
He seems as if he could see me. I look back at him. Looking in his tear filled eyes. His vision had to be blurry. I move my hand towards his. His eyes follow where my hand moved.
“Can you see me?” I say. I can hear myself, but can he hear me?
“... I have to be going insane...” He mutters to himself, “If you’re really there...” He stops talking. I move closer to him. I place my hand on his.
Luke flinches, as if something cold has touched his hand. Was I cold to him? I was so confused with all of this. I never imagined that I would become a drifting spirit, or whatever. I thought when I died, that would be the end. I wouldn’t think anyone could see me.. or hear me... or even feel me.
Luke flipped his hand over, his palm facing up. He curls his hand around mine. I know he can at least feel me now. He looks up and looks at me.
“You can see me...” I say quietly.
Luke nods, “Unless this is me going insane... yes... I can see you,”
I smile, if I could cry... tears would be rolling down my cheeks. “You’re not going insane... I promise you. I’m also a little confused with all of this. But it seems like I’m just a wandering spirit or soul or something..”
Luke looks at me. I move closer to him, so I’m right next to him. I lean on him, though... I think I’m weightless...
“I hate your brother a million times more now....” I say, my face saddening, then turning into hatred.
“You have a reason to...” Luke sighs, another tear rolling down his cheek. James walks up, smirking. I stiffen and stands up, as does Luke.
“So, I guess you found her,” James mutters looking at my dead body.
“You left her in an abandoned apartment! You could’ve at least done something...” Luke yells at him. I stand next to Luke, putting my hand on his shoulder.
“I’m okay...” I say to him. Though, I know what he’s thinking, No you’re not. You’re dead... I glare at James, hating him more than anything.
“Hey, not my fault she was such a slut to follow me here,” James says to Luke.
“I was dragged here! He’s such a liar!” I yell, ready to run at James and punch him, but then I remember that he can’t feel me.
“She wasn’t a slut. And she never was. Now, off of that topic... Why did you kill her in the first place?” He asks, infuriated at James and depressed about me.
“Like I said before, my murder, my decisions. I don’t have to tell you,” James replies, hiding a knife behind his back.
“No... you don’t have to tell me. But you will have to tell them,” Lights flash on everywhere. Police come out from where they were hiding, in the apartment.
James throws his knife at Luke. I shove him out of the way, and catch it. I hold it for not even a second, then I drop it. James looks at where I’m standing, stunned by seeing his brother being pushed by nothing, while his knife hit nothing but dropped to the floor.
I look at my hand, there’s a bloodless cut on my palm. Okay, so... one I can’t bleed... Two... I can still be cut, but it doesn’t hurt. The cut heals in about three seconds. It leaves a faint scar.
“Weird...” I mutter. The police and James were looking at the knife. Luke looks up at me, smiling a little. I smile back, “No problem...” I say to him. He stands up and glares at James.
The police place handcuffs on James and push him along, out the door of the apartment. When no ones left in the apartment, just Luke, my dead body and me how I am now, Luke hugs me.
He picks up my dead body, “I think I should tell your parents...” I nod, and follow him as he carries my body to my house. I follow him as he walks onto the porch of my house. Luke knocks on the door.
My parents answer it, at first smiling at Luke, thinking he carried me home, because i had crashed at his place, but then they look closer. “Oh my god...” My father says taking my limp body from Luke. My parents have tears streaming down their cheeks, as they cry and sob.
Luke sighs and looks at me. I look at him sorry, for many things. A tear escapes from his eye, as he watches my parents. Luke silently leaves, walking back to his house. I’m sitting on his bed when he get’s there.
Luke looks at me, sorrowful. “Should i go?... for good?” i ask him, a black tear rolling down my cheek.
“I don’t want you to.. but knowing that your dead... it just doesnt seem right to be able to see you...” He murmurs, sitting next to me.
I look at him, “Is that a yes?” I ask, my voice cracking.
He pulls me into his arms, “Cady... I love you... But I think it’s best if you leave for a while.” I swallow against a lump in my throat and nod.
“Bye Luke...” I murmur. He hugs me tighter, and i fade away. I watch him cry, but i force my self to leave the house.
As I’m floating through the cool fall air, I sense something following me. I turn around and look above and below me, something just isn’t right.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.