The Books of the Magic-Master 2: The Island In The Mist | Teen Ink

The Books of the Magic-Master 2: The Island In The Mist

By Greeningaka.Po, sdguh, California
Greeningaka.Po, Sdguh, California

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

A Note:
The previous book, if you have read it, was prefaced with a similar note. The story of the magic-master is not a complete one, not even close. As a chronicler, each of the books is a different account of a different time in the life of this immortal girl. This one was written by Robinson L. Sara, an unknown man to our world. It was printed with thick letters, large letters and was found below a boulder in Northern Ireland. I have tried to replicate it as well as possible; the letters are big because of this. As new evidence comes to my attention, more books will be released. She has been my life’s work, the magic-master. In this chronicle, her inner thoughts are revealed, suggesting Mr.Sara interviewed her or knew her quite well. You may disagree with me on this point, but I believe that the magic-master has good reason to behave as she does. We learned in the last chronicle of her life on the streets, now she is on an island of plenty and magic and power. As I will, so mote it be, M.N.L.

This book is presented in honor of Catrina, who told me that life is everything and that books shouldn’t have indexes.
Robinson dedicated his work to the magic-master, saying, “No one knows you, yet everyone thinks they do. I love and hate you, and you hate me. Life”.

Chapter 1
Far beyond the edges of the maps, in a world and time so different than the others she had seen, there the magic-master lived. The island was little more than a speck on the vast ocean and yet it was actually very big. Its land was quartered into the kingdoms of four rival kings, who were forced to cooperate due to the size of the island they shared.

She had never lived in a place so united and divided at the same time. The reason for her coming here was the abundance of magikers and thieves, the two groups she always felt at home with. The magic-master lived on the tension between the kings, between the thieves and the kings and between the people and the magikers. It always surprised her how people could live in such a small place for generations, without venturing beyond the mist and into the rest of the world. But they had all they needed on the island, which they called Galin. The name was so close to the name of one of her teachers, it was as though she was meant to be here.
King Daniubus was the dominant king, as there always had to be. He was a cruel king who separated his people based on wealth and power, making a kingdom that half hated and half loved him. His neighbor to the east, King Asatar was the most cunning and sly of the kings. He spread his land into cities ruled by his sons, and ruled with an iron fist, but a smart fist it was.
King Quin was the most scholarly of the kings and by result, he was the most cowardly. The thieves’ gang in his kingdom was so powerful that the soldiers feared the thieves, not the other way around. King Aaron was the eldest king, but also the wisest. His people loved him and he was a just and fair ruler.
The magic-master owed allegiance to all of the four kings, as was her custom. She trusted Asatar the most, but that wasn’t saying much. They were kings, it was their nature to be back-stabbing, ruthless, greedy men and she knew how to deal with them. At least, she thought so.
“Not so simple” she hissed to herself, straining at the knots around her wrists. She lay at the bottom of a pit, a deep, dark pit in the middle of the woods in King Daniubus’ kingdom. Her wrists and ankles were bound and her magic was shut down entirely. Tasting the blood from her head on her tongue, she cursed. Somehow, a ratty magiker had found a spell that would sap her strength like a leech. He caught her and tortured her, not as bad as she’d been tortured before, but pain was pain and she was by no means comfortable.
The magiker had to work for one of the kings, or possibly the thieves. “The thieves wouldn’t do it. I trust them-“she stopped. How many times had she declared she trusted someone, only to nearly die by their hands? “You’d think I’d have learned” she muttered. She worked at the knots but he’d tightened them with magic.
Lying back on the rocky ground, she contemplated who might have ordered he capture. Aaron didn’t trust her, that was for sure, but torture wasn’t his style. It was Daniubus’ land, and he was crazy enough to get a magiker on his side. Asatar would be smart enough to find the spells to suck her magic, and so would Quin. She smirked, and then quickly winced at the pain across her forehead. Quin was scared of her. Really scared. It was funny; really, she’d never had a king be afraid of her before. It was usually the other way around.
So it was either Asatar or Daniubus. Now she had to figure out which one to hope it was. Daniubus was mad, everyone knew that. He wouldn’t do anything logical, and non-logical things were often more painful. Asatar would have done for a reason, a piece in a complex plan. He wanted to be superior king, all the kings did, even Quin. She decided to hope it was Asatar. At least she could reason with him.
She sighed. Asatar was the bad guy, the evil king. Shaking her head, she grinned. She’d switched sides so many times, there was no good or evil to her now. Plus, all of the kings had their faults. Aaron, who seemed perfect, had a violent temper, Quin was really greedy and the others were more obviously evil. They all said they were the good guys and the thieves were the bad ones. The fire-dancer tried to sleep. In the morning, she would get the answers, surely. Her magic would take 24 hours to recharge. “Rats!” she cried. She was dependent on that magic to sleep in odd places. Without it, it would be a long, hard night.

Chapter 2
Sunlight streamed through the trees and down into the pit. Birds chirped like alarms, sounds rose from the fields and city. The ghost-whisperer slept on. Her hair was thrown back and her deep cut gleamed in the sun. Her already ratty suit was dirty and torn.
Suddenly, the noises of approaching footsteps broke through the trees. The magic-master woke at once and squinted out of the pit. A tall man in a fine suit and a top hat peered at her with smirk. “Hello there, magic” he leered. She scowled up at him, “Hello, my lord. Hope you had just as good of a sleep as I did”. Kind Asatar doffed his hat “Probably better” he grinned. Beside him stood a short man dressed in raggedy magiker robes. “Would it have killed you to house me somewhere dryer?” The magic-master said, kidding, getting to her feet. A rush of pain shot through her. “No cheek, ghost-whisperer. That’s why I brought Gan here. Somehow I came upon a book of spells and a little cash got him to wash out your magic.” He said serious. She glared at Gan, “you’ll pay for that”.
Gan shrugged. He looked like a rather worn down young man who needed the money the King gave him. He snapped his fingers and she rose out of the pit and into the arms of a waiting guard. The guard was huge and his grip was like a clamp on her wrists. She struggled, but it was no use. Without magic, she was no match for this monster. He dragged her along the path in front of Asatar and Dan.
The stones cut at her tied wrists and ankles. It had been a while since she’d felt pain without the buffer of magic. It hurt something terrible. King Asatar was enjoying her pain and every so often kicked at stones, towards her, and most hit their mark. She refused to cry out and vowed “You’ll pay for, lord. Even though I can’t kill you.” Gan shot a volt of pure fire at her face and she cried at the painful burn. “See what it’s like, magic-master? You’ve done this to others haven’t you?” The King simpered. She was silent. Never mind trusting him.
They reached the river between Asatar’s kingdom and Daniubus’. The guard hauled her onto a small boat and sat her down at a table at the desk. The king sat across from her and pulled out a book. “You know what this is?” he asked her. It was a small tattered book with a red cover. “No” she replied. “It contains only two spells, but they are powerful ones. One of them is the magic binding spell,” he smiled “The one Dan used on you. The other,” his voice was unusually excited “Is a spell that makes someone magic” he finished.
She understood “You want me to make you magic?! No!” she cried. He pulled a dagger from his vest. “You sure? You have no magic, you see. You can die just like me, magic-master”. “Why can’t Gan do it?” she asked. “Gan is dead” he replied. Just then there was a loud splash. “He knew too much. And so will you, unless you make me magic. Don’t worry, I won’t use it unwisely. I’ll keep it hidden, and slowly come into power, not all at once.” The king said sitting back.
She shook her head “Magikers are magikers because they can control magic! Magic is meant to be inherited, not given!” she spat at him. “What about you? You were given it,” he asked. “In this world, magic’s inherited, lord! You’ll kill yourself!” she cried. Not to mention, she thought, he’d kill a lot of people. “Give me magic” he demanded calmly, and raising the dagger, added “or?” She scowled but nodded. Death or humiliation? She’d take the scorn of this foolish plan.
He flipped open the book and held it on the page. There was a long page of writing, in a curvy fancy script. “Go on, magic-master,” the king said carefully “one false move, and you’re finished with.” She began to read the spell aloud. Even without her magic, she could understand the twisting spell-script with ease. As she read, the sky grew dark. Voices whispered “No, no don’t do it”. From the water rose ghosts, who surrounded her.
Rain began to fall. Pain danced up her arms and lightning cracked in the sky. The king was thrown back in his chair. His skin was flickered with a million colors, his eyes closed. A drumbeat echoed from the hills, and more ghosts came down beside her. “You fool” one hissed in her ear. The ghost’s voice was like a dagger. “Fool!” the others chanted, encircling the table.
“He’d kill me! You know better than I do how terrible that is!” she cried, forcing herself to keep reading. “Greedy human, every one of our race must die eventually!” a female ghost howled. The magic-master shuddered. The ghosts made the air freezing. Finally, she finished reading. The sky cleared, the spirits disappeared and it was pleasant and sunny. The king still lay back, not moving. He opened his eyes. She nearly gasped; they were golden, completely. But only for a moment. He smiled and held up his hands for inspection.
Sparks danced over them, over all his body. “You did it, magic-master. I’m magic,” he cried “really, and truly!” She groaned. All at once, the balance of power was gone. Oh, why had she done that? Galin would never survive under his rule, and the other kings could not battle him now.
She raced on to dry land and shouted at him “Have fun! I’m not gonna teach you how to use it!” Off she went into the forest. The thieves had to know about this, not to mention, the other kings.
First, she headed for Daniubus’ castle, in Greater Dani, the main city. It was barely raised above the Spirit Mountains. The path was crowded with peasants, scholars and craftsmen. She moved through them quickly, keeping her head down. She had enemies everywhere, and it would be bad if they caught her without her having magic.

Chapter 3

She shifted from foot to foot outside the king’s room. Slipping through the guards and picking every lock she came to, she’d made it here without any trouble. “Who’s there?” A voice bellowed from inside. “The magic-master, my lord” she replied, pushing the door open. King Daniubus was sitting and studying a chart, which he stuffed away as she entered. “What is it?! I should have you whipped for disturbing me like this!” he cried, tossing his long blonde hair about.

She bowed slightly. “There is something you need to know, my lord. King Asatar is-is magic” she stammered. He gave her a weird expression and snapped his fingers “No he’s not!” “He is. I made him magic, just now, lord. He trapped me and was to kill me if I didn’t do it!” she exclaimed, staring him right in the eye. “That was a bad idea. Alright, I will think of a plan of action. Go!” he replied. She shrugged and left. Daniubus had to be kept in check or he’d do something stupid and get everybody in trouble.

Next, the thieves gang nearby was Wolf. They had to get the news to. Carefully, she sulked through the crowds and into the dense woods. The trees rose like arrows from the ground. Thieves made tunnels, she knew, but it was less dangerous to go straight to their camp. Tents emerged from the trees, bustling with people. “Halt!” a voice cried at her.

She raised her arms and said “Magic-master!” In an undertone she added “Sans magic” The thieves turned to her, “What’s the problem, fire-dancer?” one asked. “Asatar got magic,” she paused and sighed “I gave it to him” “Whose side are you on, damn it!” a man growled. “He took my magic away, and forced me to do it! I’m not stupid!” she snapped back, “I came to warn you. Will you contact Snake and Serpent? He wants to keep it under wraps, and I’m not letting him.” The thieves nodded and away she went.

Some didn’t believe her that was for sure. She didn’t blame them. Twisting through the trees, she cursed herself. There was only one thing she’d always feared; death. That dark shadow always lurking beside her, waiting for her to fail. Death knew she’d never age and die, but it also knew how close she’d come close to being killed, again and again.

That one fear ruled her, every moment, every day. No one else could fear it as much as she did. She’d do anything, anything, to stay alive, and that had got her into trouble plenty. Mortal people couldn’t get how much she feared death, and were forever furious at her for doing a range of terrible things to preserve her long life.

She stopped at the Acteh River, which divided Daniubus’ and Aaron’s kingdoms. Boats of all sizes swarmed the small river, ferrying people and goods. She spotted a captain she knew. “Say, Maven?” she called to a young woman loading boxes on to her small barge. Maven looked up. She was a tall woman of about 21 years of age, with long red hair. “Can I get a lift?” The magic-master asked her, holding out a handful of silver coins. Maven nodded, took the money and bowed her aboard.

The small boat bobbed about in the river, dodging other vessels. “Might I ask your purpose?” Maven muttered, with a sly smile. “Meeting with a king,” she replied in an undertone “never mind which one.” She returned the smile, but did not elaborate. It was careful game, this one she lived, loyalties and spies and power. Maven was a smuggler for the thieves sometimes, and it wouldn’t do to have her know she was meeting with the king who was the tough one on smugglers.

“Here you go” said Maven, doffing her cap as the fire-dancer stepped ashore. The magic-master continued up the road towards Aro, Aaron’s main city. The thieves had nearly been beaten back here, and people were wary of people in ratty clothes like a new thief. The magic-master was dressed just like that. With no magic for a few more hours, though, she could not change. She was also very hungry, and she hoped the king would feed her, regardless of their mutual distrust.

The gates to the city were open and she wove through the crowd to the castle. King Aaron had real good security, without magic; there’d be no sneaking in for her. Two soldiers stood at the gate to the castle, glaring at the people passing by. Not for the first time, she longed for her sword, Irao, but it’d been lost, in another time, another world. It had been her partner, her companion. She grimaced. She’d given it up for her life, and if you were dead, what use was a sword?

She marched up to one of the guards and crossed her arms. “I need to see the king” she said, as harsh as she could. “Who are you?” one sneered. She gave a smug smile “the magic-master. Go on, he’ll see me” she replied. A voiced called from the castle “Yes, he will, cheek and all” The king ordered. She pushed past the guards and up through the fine castle.

In the private courtroom, the king sat in a carved throne, in his dress robes. He did not move when she walked in and bowed and then he said, “What do you want, ghost-whisperer? You only ever come when you need something” He spun around. He had a long grey beard and short gray hair, and black eyes.

She grinned coyly, “Some food would be a good start, my lord”. He nodded “You don’t have magic, do you?” he said, rising from the throne. “How’d you know?” she hissed. The magic-master kneeled down. King Aaron pulled a thin blade from his belt, “You never call me lord, and you usually make your own food”, he snapped.

The king glared down at her. “Asatar has magic.” She kept her voice flat and emotionless. The king’s face inflamed with anger, his eyes widened and he shook terribly, “How?!” She paused. The truth would get her stabbed and she had no magic to protect her. “I do not know, my lord. But it is true, really he’s magic” she lied, keeping her face plain. The king clenched his fists. “Go! Get food from the kitchens, go! You’re lucky I didn’t hurt you!” he growled and she ran.

Chapter 4

After tucking in to the spread in King Aaron’s kitchens, she headed to the thieves gang, Fox. Their camp was a small one, and was awfully hard to find. The fire-dancer got lost a lot while racing towards it. Finally, she came upon a small clearing. The thieves were out in an instant, their swords in the air, glares of pure menace on their ragged faces.

“It’s me, the magic-master” She said, raising her hands. They smirked but lowered their weapons. “Asatar has got magic, real magic. Jus’ thought you’d want to know-“A woman cried out in anger “How?” She could feel her magic slowly returning but it wasn’t back yet. “No idea, but my source’s a good one. I’ve got to go.” She was careful in her lie. She trusted them more than King Aaron, but not nearly as much as the other thieves’ bands.

Turning, she quickly made her way to Ikasar River. There, small boats silently travelled back and forth. A group of smugglers, their faces covered in black masks caught her eye. They were loading boxes into their rowboat, and returned her hand signal with a simple nod.

The boat moved smoothly over the water and they were soon in King Quin’s realm. The thieves ruled this landing point, and she murmured into one of the guard’s ears “Tell your master that Asatar is magic. Tell ‘im it’s from the magic-master, alright?” The guard nodded, but did not reply.

Here, if you were on the thieves’ side, you had no worries. Her face was a well-known one within the outlaws and lawless. She passed through the well-worn paths with ease until she came to the high walls around King Quin’s stronghold. She picked a rock up and chucked it at the closest window. Quin hated it when she threw things at his castle, and he’d know it was her because not even the bravest rebel would dare to do it.

A face came to the window and flung it open. “Magic-master, what do you want?” The king’s voice, as always, had an edge of fear to it. She tossed her hair back and smiled up at him “Asatar is magic. Just tellin’ you” she said. His face turned ashen and he stared out at her “A trick, one of your tricks!” he cried, hopefully. “No, my lord, it is real” She replied, enjoying his fear.

King Quin scowled down at her and closed the window without a word. She reviewed her progress on a nearby tree stump. Every king and thieves’ king knew about Asatar, but what could they do? She jumped up. The Magikers. They could actually help her, if only she could get them on her side. Next stop, Magic Point.

The Magikers were the only ones in Quin’s realm that did not fear the thieves, so they had no wall around their village. Through the forest she went, the snaking paths becoming smaller and rougher. Very few people went to the magikers. Most were afraid of them. Her magic was very nearly back, which was good, in case the magikers were disagreeable.

The first hut soon came into sight. It was a simple one, as all of the magikers were. She shook her head in bemusement. Never had she encountered people like these magikers. They were utterly devoted to nature and a simple life. Sometimes she envied them. Such an easy life!

But she knew it wasn’t for her. She was no ordinary magiker, no simple magic-maker. Throwing out her hand, she called a strip of magic to her and shot it through the village. She could never stay in one spot, not for long. She would tire of it, or be driven out. Watching the magikers coming to see her, she smiled. Forever separated from all humankind, for she would not die, could not age.

“What is it, girl?” The leader stepped forward. She was a rather old woman, her robes blowing in the breeze. They refused to call her magic-master, and the elder ones simply called her girl. They knew she was the best at magic; she’d beaten them all a hundred times.

“There is a trader in the magikers. King Asatar used him to bind me, and force me to make him magic. We must unite to bring him down,” She said carefully, staring into the leader’s bright blue eyes. The leader’s hands flared with magic and she threw back her head. The others grumbled and their magic mixed into a swirl around her. “We only can stop him!” She cried, brushing away their magic, “He will terrorize the people if we do not stop him! No king can stand against him, but we can! Join with me, and save Galin from this, this monster!” The magikers chuckled “Why ought we to follow you? You have sided with him before, and he’ll not harm us”

She let her magic spiral into a shield around her, “Giving magic to one who yearns for it for power only makes them crazy! He will hunt you, and you alone cannot fight him! He is powerful even without magic, but I say we take his magic, and then let the kings deal with him” She commanded, glaring at them.

They could condemn Galin to destruction just by not agreeing with her, and by their expressions, they weren’t going to agree. “You are dangerous” one said plainly, “Not trustworthy. You side with the rebels and then with the kings. How do we know you didn’t make him magic by choice?” Another chimed in “If you were really for the people, you’d have died rather than make him magic!” She snarled and whipped her magic like a flame. Fire danced around her, licking at the magikers. “Death gets worse the longer you avoid it! He threatened me, on my word! If you don’t trust me, than fine! I’ll go to him, teach him to use it, help him kill you all off and control Galin with him!” The threat hung in the air.

“You’re a monster!” The leader hissed. The magic-master laughed. Fear was plain in the old woman’s face; it shook her voice like a frightened beast. The others were similarly shocked. “Fine, girl. I don’t trust you, curse it!” The leader cried and she stalked off. “Say what you will! Your people’ll do as I say, eh?” The magic-master called. The woman spat but nodded. “Right then. How many of you are with me?”

The magic-master said this bluntly and almost all of the magikers left. There were five left, three women and two men. The men were pretty young, and the women were 30, 35-ish. “So you’ll come with me and get rid of Asatar’s magic? ‘S dangerous, just so you know.” She warned. They nodded. “I’m Nara” The youngest of the women said. “Lae” said the next woman and the last “Kolbe”. The shorter of the men gave a slight bow “I’m Toren”. The other man was next “Entre”.
The fire-dancer looked them over. Nara was of medium build, with short choppy brown hair and a curious expression. Lae was taller with silver-blonde hair and seemed quieter. Kolbe was the shortest of the group. She had reddish hair and tanned skin. Toren had close cropped black hair, green eyes and a rough face. Entre was dark-skinned and had a mischievous smile. She grinned. They would do.
“We have got to trap him. He’s a tricky devil, and he’ll figure out how to use the magic soon enough.” She said. This was the thinking she liked. Scheming, plotting. “Tonight?” Toren asked, tugging a staff from thin air. ‘That’s awfully soon, but any longer and he’ll be too powerful” Replied Kolbe, her eyes lighting with a fierce fire. The magic-master nodded, “We’ll go for the quick and simple. Slip into his city tonight, I can get the thieves to get us in. No magic till we get inside the walls, than hide any trace under the best spells you know. Remember, we can’t kill him. We can take his magic if we’re ten feet away, don’t go closer”
Entre glared at her, “Why can’t we just kill him? You said it yourself; he’s powerful even without magic!” The magic-master stared at him. “I can’t ever kill a king. Never revolt and help take him down. I swore it, Entre, on pain of death, long ago. I can take his magic, not his life.” She was very serious. If the five magikers weren’t sure she was on their side, things wouldn’t go well.
“Where should we meet you?” Lae cut off Toren’s responding comment. The magic-master answered “The forest edge, near the Snake camp. Don’t let anyone know your magic,” She laughed humorlessly “Trust me, it’ll be easier”.
Nara glanced at the men. She obviously mistrusted them, and when the others left, she muttered in the magic-master’s ear. ”I’m not sure about Toren and Entre. I was suspicious when they stayed. Entre is very smart; he knows all the spells there are to know. He’s gotten in trouble plenty for being with non-magikers so much. No one ever talks to Toren, he’s alone all the time, practicing fighting. Do you really trust ‘em?”
The magic-master shrugged. She had to just trust her judgment or it wouldn’t be good. Nara gave her a glare and left. The magic-master slipped back through the trees and to the waterfront.
Ships swarmed the water and news was shouted, captain to captain. She could hear the news she’d spread to the thieves and kings being cried “King Asatar’s magic,” one ship’s boy called to another on the shore. She shook her head. Word travelled fast. It would hopefully take Asatar the afternoon to get a bearing on his new power. Hopefully, he’d have little control over it by the time her little band went to attack.
In the meantime, she wanted to spy on the king. She snuck aboard a boat, changed her appearance the best she could, and lay still in the hold. As the boat began to cast off, there was a cry “Halt!” The boat stopped. There was a rush of water and the sound of boots. “His majesty wants every ship searched before entry onto his land” a voice growled.
She silently cursed. Asatar was looking for her, but at least she had her magic back. Unless he himself came, the soldiers couldn’t get her. It was too dangerous to use her magic, though. She had to get away somehow. Getting away was near impossible without any magic, and she could hear the men searching the boat.
If she could not get away, at least she could hide. Crouching inside one of the many bins that filled the hold, she turned off her magic and waited.
“She’s here” A voice snapped in the darkness. Her body tensed. How did they know? She didn’t recognize the voice as a magiker, but only magic could have detected her here. Someone wrenched open the bin and glared down at her. It was a rough faced man that looked like- she gasped-Toren. It was his spitting image glaring at her, except this man was older by at least ten years. “Hi there, magic-master” he leered. Magic crackled over his skin, “care to fight?”

Chapter 5
She pushed out of the box with a snarl, thrashing magic daggers at him. He countered with a forceful magic block, like a shield slamming at her. She dodged it, spinning threads of energy both at him and the ceiling. The roof blasted open and he was flung to the floor. She rose in the, beating him back with her mind. “Is Toren your brother?” she hissed. The man shook his head, fear flooding his face, “My son!” he cried, “Is he alright? The king wants him back-“he cut off at her murderous look.
She slashed open his chest and dove into the water, leaping off the boat into the clear water. With a little swimming, she was on Asatar’s side of the river. She shook the water off and ducked into the woods. Toren’s father had worked for Asatar, and apparently Toren used to. Could she trust him to be loyal to her and not his old master? How many magikers did Asatar have?
And more importantly, were there enough on her side to overwhelm her magikers? If they could beat Kolbe and Nara and the others, it would be hard to keep off that many good magikers and Asatar all at once. She plunged through the trees. Ali and Nylen would be good to talk to, they’d get it. They were the twin children of Serpent, the thieves’ gang leader here in Asatar’s land. They were both 13 and were as cunning and smart as their father, who ran his gang with an iron grip.
She counted them as friends, though she knew it was unwise to get too close to them. Finally, she arrived at the Serpent’s camp. It was elaborate camp, but it was pretty quiet. She gave a low whistle, shook off her disguise and let a smile creep onto her face. Ali and Nylen came running from the woods and Ali cried “It’s you!” Serpent came out from his tent, with his guards. He had an easy, careful was about him that she admired and he wore a tiny smile, “We got your message, fire-dancer. Too bad about Asatar. I take it you’re not letting him keep it?” he said.
She shook her head and replied “No, indeed. Tonight, me an’ a couple magikers’ll get him, lord.” Serpent nodded but added “He’s got magikers of his own, and more spies than you can count. Are you sure your magikers are with you?” The magic-master shrugged, letting flames dancing over her fingers, “I’m not sure, but you know well that you can never be positive” Serpent grabbed her arm and hissed in her ear “I know who you got. Toren, Zach’s boy” He rolled up his sleeve to display a long scar “Remember when I was taken? Well, he was the one who ratted on me! His son is not to be trusted, no matter what he’s told you!”
The ghost-whisperer shook him off “I killed Zach, just now, but Toren is not with Asatar anymore! He lives with the magikers and is one of them-“she was cut off by Nylen “What if he’s a spy?” the boy asked. Ali chimed in “I know you may want to trust him, so you have more magikers, but if you can’t trust him...” She scowled “I’ll do as I please thief-lord. If I trust him, so be it. I won’t let any of ‘em see where your camp is. Happy?” Her voice had a hard edge, and magic seeped from her fingers as she spoke.
Serpent was not pleased. He did not reply and simply walked away. Nylen and Ali shrugged “He has point, you know. But whatever you want, dancer. You know more of these things than he does, odd as that seems,” said Nylen quietly.
The magic-master nodded. Ali and Nylen were friends, but of course they would side with their father, he was their father. She bit back the usual pain that came about with the talk of family. She’d been alone for a long time, but the pain remained. “I don’t care; all that matters is that we make him lose that magic. Then Aaron and the others can deal with him” she muttered.
Suddenly, she was very restless. She wanted nothing more than to storm Asatar at that very moment. Bidding the kids goodbye, she got as close as she dared to his city’s walls before stopping to collect herself. She was not going to get him, not now. She had to spy, that was all. Even she couldn’t hope to beat him and a bunch of other magikers by herself.
Shaking the surging anger off, she slid towards to the city gates, which were flanked with guards. The guards reeked of magic, powerful magic. The magic-master scowled. He knew she would come, then. Over herself she tossed a quick magic shield. Hopefully, the guards weren’t too good. She had to save her energy for tonight.
She wormed her way through the gates, avoiding the guard’s eyes. They didn’t notice her and she was safely into the snaking streets of Atar. Thieves lurked in the alleys and the streets swarmed with every sort of person.
A ratty girl with messy hair that slung over her face attracted little attention; under her disguise, she was but another street rat. Asatar’s castle loomed over his city, imposing with its dark stones. The king, she knew, resided in the tower in the center of the square walls surrounding the castle. The tower’s window faced the woods, not the city, which was fortunate for her. Guards dressed in Asatar’s bright blue and yellow swarmed the black walls.
Squinting up at the colored figures, she muttered “A tricky foe, Asatar.” For every 20 or so soldiers on the walls, there was a black robed magiker. Many of them, she reasoned, could be bought, but the others were the ones who didn’t like her, and so were interested in his case.
So many magikers. Knowing Asatar, they were the best you could get. Could she and her five stand against them all? It was hopeless to get soldiers, nothing could stand against magic. Serpent could help, but the magikers would rely on her to get them in and get to Asatar and… She sighed. It would come down to her to beat him, for her to crush the magic.
Easier said than done. For years, nearly two decades she’d had little excitement and now it was back to the old life. The life she had fled from, the life of tooth and fang and war. But as her savior had said, however she tried to run from it, battle was her life, magic her curse and gift.
She glared up past the tower and into the blue sky. Never resting, never content, never happy, not for long, that was her. A normal life, or even a normal magical life was not hers to have. Across the worlds she would roam, her gift a wall between her and everyone else.
As strange as her life was though, she thought, she didn’t want to lose it. Asatar probably had figured out at least the rudiments of his magic and the power she had released from the spell seemed pretty strong. Knowing Asatar, one of the first things he would try to learn was fighting stuff.
If he hadn’t learned to kill yet, he would in the heat of battle. She smiled wistfully. The first fight she’d been in, the power to kill had simply come to her, like a blast of light. Turning towards the street, she gritted her teeth. She and Asatar would fight it out, that was that. A hundred years of training, a hundred years of fighting, and still every fight she was in could be her last.
The back entrance to the castle was only a little ways off. It was a dangerous gamble, going into the castle but Asatar wouldn’t be at his full power. Hopefully. Her disguise was good though, and she was curious. The hunt was on.

Chapter 6
Once she had slipped through the rough-hewn door, she was in a small passageway. A woman bustled through but stopped when she saw the magic-master. She was a kitchen maid, by her clothes and a high up one at that. “What do you want, rat? If it’s money, I’ll get Carter to throw you out an’ rough you up a bit!” she hissed, grabbing her arm. The magic-master leveled her shoulders, “I want a job. As a messenger” she said.
The woman sighed “Kin you read and write? No, course not-“ She cut the maid off “I can read, Missus, and write” The woman was taken aback. “If ‘ats true kid, you got yourself a job. If you’re lying, it’s a beating for ya’” She took the magic-master’s shoulder and pulled her down a few hallways and up some stairs. At the top of the stairs was a large woman busy giving orders to a group of maids. When the bustle died away , the woman dragged her up to the head maid.
“What do we have here, Julia?” The head maid said, glaring at the magic-master. Julia stood up as tall as she could, “This girl wants a messenger job an’ she can read and write, missus” she said. The woman pulled out paper and a stick of lead, “Write something”. The ghost-whisperer carefully wrote “You still need proof?” The head maid was visibly surprised and she said “You’ll do well, than. Up the stairs and to the left. Ask Parker if His Lordship will see you, you could maybe be one of his personal ones. Scram!”
The magic-master hurried up the stairs, biting her lip so she would not laugh. What luck! She had not expected to get an audience with the king, just because she could write well. Parker evidently was a guard, dressed in the livery of a senior captain. He sneered at her and made for his sword “Do you want a beating, rat? What you doing here?” She bowed and said clearly “I am to see the king. The Missus said I could be one of his messengers, ‘cause I can read and write”
Parker grabbed her and roughly searched her clothes and examined her wrists and neck for marks of street gangs or thieves. She had hidden her blood-spot that would give her away in an instant. Satisfied, he knocked on the door he was guarding and called “My lord, there is a prospective messenger here” A voice, Asatar’s, which was strained with pain replied.
The magic-master warily entered the room and knelt to the ground. Asatar sat at a fine throne, a lazy look on his face. But below it was a mask of terror, of pain. “Your majesty” she murmured. His voice was harsh “How do you know I can trust you?” She shrugged “I can give you information, sire. The streets are like a book full of secrets, and I can find them” Asatar smiled “You can give me then, the rumors of the magic-master’s attack tonight. There must be whispers.”
She nodded and inwardly grinned, “They say she will come tomorrow morning, at first light, for that is when her power is greatest. She had no allies and so will be alone. They say, lord that she believes you have little power and she can beat you with ease” The King sunk into thought, “Do you swear all that?” he demanded “On your life?” She bowed her head in the affirmative. He laughed “She will be surprised then. Watch girl!” He threw his hands out and sparks danced over his body. Animals formed from the light and swirled around his head until they were beings of flesh and bone. There were wolves and panthers and tigers and more. They growled as one, a low fearsome roar.
A rush of power filled the room, a wind full of magic. Asatar spun and light burst from his robes and out into the city. The animals leapt into the open air. A huge blast of light lit up the room and they disappeared.
“Very good, girl. That information is helpful. Take this,” he held out a golden coin to her “And see if you can find any more secrets.” She bowed and scurried out. Not until she got into the street did she let her guard down and laugh. He had been fooled! While he boasted of his great power to what he supposed was a poor street kid, the magic-master herself was the one he showed it to.
Now, she rubbed her hands together, for tonight. She and her magikers would come at the castle quietly and sneak inside. The others would fight back the guards and the other magikers and she would go straight for Asatar. Separating magic from someone was difficult, and would require ghostly assistance. She went out of the city and into the forest.
Ghosts liked the dark trees better than the bright streets and were attracted to her fire. She called the flames to her and made a fire erupt in a clearing. Stretching out her mind, she called to the spirits and there they came. Men and women, boys and girls. People in the prime of life and old folks and babies. Transparent figures in tattered clothes and universally glum faces. “I need your help-“she began. A woman ghost cut her off “We warned you! Now you want our help.” Another hissed “Greedy one!”
Her heart boiled with anger and she slashed at the ghost with fire, “And you will do as I say!” The ghost, a middle-aged man laughed “You seek to conquer death,” he said “As so many have. Granted, you have lived long but every human being must die. You are still human, magic-master, even if you think you’re not.” She snarled.
Sparks flew from her fingers, winding the ghost into a trap. Her eyes blazed with fire. The trees leaned back and the wind quieted down. “It doesn’t matter what you think,” she said, her voice filled with power, “I do command you, insolent one!” He glared right back at her but said nothing. “You cannot make us help you take back his magic” one ghost said.
She smiled and formed with magic a spear from thin air, “But yet, I can” The ghost shrunk back from the sight of the silver spear. It had once driven the ghosts into a terrible world of pain and suffering that had taken them a million years to escape. “How did you get that?!” They roared in the voice of a hurricane. She laughed “Never mind that! What matters is that you must help me now, eh?” The ghost nodded and one said carefully “We’ll do it then, call us when you need us”
Creeping out of the forest, she made for the dirtiest and dankest of the city’s streets. There, children ran about with little more than rags covering them. Men crouched with knives in alleyways and woman scurried about like rats. Here rumors were simple and easily embellished. A group of street rats played marbles in a corner and she hurried to join them.
“Ya’ heard that old toggie’s getting his due tonight? The magic-master’ll cream him good” A tall boy with black hair and dark skin said, flicking out a marble. A girl beside him laughed “He deserves it! I can’ wait till she comes, with the ghosts-“A younger boy added “And fire!” They added more elaborate things as they played.
It made the magic-master smile. They, at least, believed in her. She noticed a girl staying back from the group a little. The girl had stringy brown hair that hung in her face. The leader-boy saw her and said “Hey kid, you wanta play?” The girl shook her head. A light went off in the magic-master’s head. There was a, a glow around the girl, the sign of magic. The girl walked off and the fire-dancer followed.
Down the alleys she followed her until the girl turned into a dead end and spun around, brandishing a knife. “What do you want? Why are you following me?” she asked the magic-master. The magic-master grabbed her wrist and a magic flame surrounded her, “You’re magic kid” The girl shrank back. “Who are you?!” she cried, dropping the knife. The magic-master smiled and let the blood-spot on her hand appear. The girl gasped, “You’re the magic-master!”

Chapter 7
The magic-master nodded and gripped the girl tight, “Do you work for Asatar?” She asked. The girl shook her head but she was obviously lying. The magic-master blasted her with a dagger of pure fire and knocked her down. “You want to keep your life, kid, you’ll do as I say. Have you got any parents?” she said. The girl rolled over. He head was bleeding and she glared at the ghost-whisperer, “No, I haven’t. I’m only a street kid, but the king pays us for secrets. The others beat me up for working for him, but I’m not a good thief” she groaned with pain as she spoke.
The magic-master gave her a cold grin, “Did you know you were magic?” she asked. There were lots of people, in every world who had unknown magic. The girl coughed and began to cry, “No, I didn’t know!” The magic-master bent down and muttered “I can help you, teach you and heal you. All you have to do is be on my side.” The girl contemplated it for moment but then said, shaky “No. My father used to say to pick a side, and die for it, but never change it. No”
The magic-master sighed. The girl was dead in an instant. It was ever so bothersome, to remember things like that. Things your parents said or thought. She scowled. She could barely see their faces and hear their voices now, after so much time. It was too bad about the girl, though. A young magiker would be unmarked by other trainers and she could have made her the best that Galin had ever seen.

Now there was only tonight to worry about. She would dine with Serpent, if he’d have her. The sun was beginning, if only slightly to sink in the sky. She would go to Asatar again, and tell him that everyone was sure of his defeat. He was a proud man, and it would be a blow for sure.
She went up to the castle and slipped around until she found Parker. “Tell His Lordship that everyone expects him to fall. Don’t go blabbing, sir, it won’t go well” she said with a smile. He scowled and smacked her across the back as he left. She let it go, that was a fight she ought to ignore.
The streets teemed with rich folk and her thieves mind could not stand it. No magic, just pure thievery. And she hadn’t ever needed to steal but she had also done it anyway. Shutting off every trace of magic, she slunk into the street and whittled the hours away.
A while later, she tore herself away from the streets and went back to Serpent’s camp. There was a thrill in stealing, that there wasn’t even in battle. The thrill that came when you could be caught and you didn’t know where the law lurked. Sunlight was fading; the camp was lit by fire. Serpent and his men sat around feasting. They let her eat without a word. Her band would be here later. She listened to the rebel/thieves as they recounted the day. Burglary, pickpocketing, flitching and roughing up. What a life, she thought gloomily, it sounded rather simple. She dusted herself off and started for the river. There was a battle to fight.

Chapter 8
The river water was dark and the current fast. Five shadowy figures stood by the bank, their magic shut out like a candle flame. Nara, Kolbe and Lae were arguing with the boys. It was probably because they didn’t trust them, and she was right. “Hey! We’ve got enough trouble without us all bickering! I trust all of you, and if I am wrong, you’ll pay. End of story, got it?” She snarled.
They all glared at each other but nodded just the same. She led them close to the wall, and to a place where there was a small gap. There was a guard on the other side. In a moment, he fell to the ground and the magikers continued.
Dark streets meant few people, and surprisingly, there were no patrolling guards. She smiled. Perhaps Asatar had taken the “Street rat-messenger’s” word that she would come tomorrow. Entre led, his eyes burning with fire. She let him go. The castle was like a dark mountain before them. A trickle of magic told them that there were no magikers on the walls, which made the job easier.
Quickly, in they went and then up. She followed the magikers as they struck down the soldiers and the few magikers they encountered. The air was full of spells and lights and cries. Higher and higher she climbed. Asatar knew, she could feel it, she felt his terror and pain as he watched the battle.
She was quick, and she killed instead of battling and using energy. The ghosts were near. Her magic formed a shield around her, shining silver. The blood-spot flamed with the pain of battle her fingers were swords of fire. Asatar began to shoot flaming daggers down the stairs from his tower, which she was hurrying up. They knocked her back and made blood drip down from cuts on her head and arms.
She was getting closer. He wrestled her in her mind, a pain like none other. An icy hold gripped her brain. She slashed out with her right hand, a spell woven into her very flesh. Asatar recoiled and she tore up the stairs. Wolves and bears, of strange colors rushed at her. Their claws tore at her magic. Her cries flung them down, and they dissolved into nothing.
A hurricane of magic swept her up off her feet. This was magic in its pure state, uncontrolled. Asatar probably was as surprised as she was. Every spell she shouted did nothing. She slammed her finger to her spot and the hurricane blew off enough for her to drive it into the sky. Finally, she was near the door. Every step she took, there was another world. Some she knew and others so alien they seemed fake. There was a world of pure fire and one of ice, a world in a snow globe and one underwater.
The door blew open at her touch. Inside, Asatar was blurred with a million colors. His eyes were like those of a madman and he laughed at her “You come to steal what you gave to me? Oh, dear magic-master!” He threw out a trap but she tore it apart. Slicing him with every spell and curse she knew, she called the ghosts. He countered with wordless spells that made her head pound with pain. Her legs and arms were heavy, the curses were weakening her. No! She had not lived so long to die at the hand of this foolish king. She gritted her teeth and summoned every bit of magic to her.
The ghosts were there. She knocked him back, one, two, three times until he stayed down. Her head spun and she nearly fell herself. Fighting this kind of magic took more energy than normal. “I’ll get you-“he screamed, fear tingeing his voice. She cut him off with a slice of magic across his face, “Not so fast”.
The ghosts circled him. She could hear the sounds of the magikers fighting. She needed to work fast. “Spirits of the earth and air, hear me everyone. Take the power from this man return it to the grass and sun. He is not one meant to have it, so take it away. The ghost-whisperer commands you, hear my plea. The world must have balance, and this ruins it. Change it, spirits return it to the natural state!” She called.
She wove together every bit of earth, fire, water and air magic that she could get and carefully made the net. Every link she put in some of her own blood, only a little. The ghosts dove at Asatar and the moment they had passed through him, she threw the net over him and all his magic disappeared.
A dull pain crept over her and she was at once in Asatar’s mind. It was a dull black, with a figure made of fire. The figure stuck its arm through her and made her feel like she was burning. “I will take Galin for myself, magic-master” it cried “and rule it with an iron hand! You can never get me then!” As the figure faded, she called “The other kings will fight you, and I’ll help!”
When she came back to the room, the ghosts had gone. Asatar’s magic was gone and he was passed out in his throne. The castle was quiet. She wondered what had happened to the magikers. There were footsteps and in came Kolbe and Entre. “Where are the others?” She asked them, fearing the worst.
Kolbe sighed. Both of them looked pretty beaten up. “They’re dead, magic-master” said Entre, “We killed the ones who got ‘em but they’re really-“She cut him off “Dead. Get used to it. Asatar still is pretty powerful, so you’ll see plenty of dying from now on.” They silently slipped out of the castle and then the town.
She turned to the magikers and asked “Can I trust you, really trust you?” Entre scowled. “I nearly died, just on your word. I trust you, magic-master, believe me,” he said. Kolbe nodded, “I trust you, magic-master. What do you want us to do?” She shot a truth-telling spell at them so quick they couldn’t block it. It came back clean.
She smiled at their glares. “I trust you too. Will you go to your home and tell King Quin and everyone there that they best prepare for battle” She instructed. The two nodded and disappeared into the trees. She grimaced. The pain began to become unbearable. Every inch of her body flared with intense pain. She fought to stand and walk to Serpent’s camp. Even her blood-spot ached. She reached the camp and collapsed on the floor. The world went black and her world turned.
The sky was a bright blue and the sun was high in the sky. The magic-master sat beneath a tall tree. The breeze blew pleasantly and birds chittered. She relaxed. Suddenly, a figure stepped from behind the tree. A black figure. Death. She tried to get up, but she could not. Her heart pounded.
Death laughed. “You have the choice, death or this” It waved a hand and the landscape changed. The trees were burned and ragged. People crawled about, crying and wounded. Soldiers milled about, and the houses were destroyed. She saw all the friends she’d ever had, Nylen and Ali and Entre and Kolbe, dead or dying.
They cried out to her, to end it to spare them. She was paralyzed. But the answer was obvious. “This, Death. You have asked me a billion times. I will not ever choose death, ever.” She said, trying to keep the emotion from her voice. Death was silent and then, the usual “Say it, then”. She stared out at her companions “I give all you up. You can crumble and die, so long as I do not. You can be tortured and be injured, for all I care, so long as I do not die” she cried. The tears always came then, “I must not die!” She was standing at the top of a huge mountain. The world below her was devastated and flaming. “I will go on. Another world awaits. So long as I avoid you, Death. As long as I can” she cried. The pain was the worst ever.

Chapter 9
Serpent loomed over her when she awoke. She lay on a cot in Ali and Nylen’s tent. Her dream was burned in her mind like a brand. “Are you alright?” he asked, his usually calm face showing a trace of emotion. Her stomach felt terrible and her head was trying to clear her vision. She coughed and stammered “Asatar’s magic is gone. He wants to take Galin for his own.”
Every word was like a dagger in her throat. Serpent nodded and left, leaving Ali and Nylen by her side. Ali stared down at her. “Why do you think it drained you so much?” The magic-master wiped the blood off her face. She knew very well why. “The magic I gave him, it was ever so powerful-“she stopped.
Asatar had the red book. He could do it all over again! She cursed herself. Why hadn’t she grabbed it? Her power was nearly gone, but she had to destroy it or else… She fixed its image in her shattered mind. The force of doing this could kill her, she knew. But she had to do it. Slamming her hands together, she blew the book into a million pieces.
She was sick at once and every inch of her body screamed in protest. Ali and Nylen cried out, but she was sinking into the blackness again. The pain was worse this time, and she felt like she was dying.
She ran along a dirt road, a ratty boy at her side. Harper. Her eyes burned with pain. He hopped along like an eager dog, gazing at her like she was his master. They both carried weapons, long swords.
Her heart ached. She knew what was going to happen. How she wished she could stop, run the other way, warn Harper. The bushes ahead burst open with enemies. Men, lots of them, in uniforms of green and sabers and shields. Harper jumped forward but she was still.
“He’s yours” she said. The tears were quick in coming, as they dragged him off. Harper cried out “You betrayer! You don’t deserve to live!” His captors slashed at his legs and made crimson blood flow freely.
She turned away. “It had to be done. To survive, to live. Me or you, Harper” she muttered. His screams as they killed him burned her worse than fire. It was necessary, she thought desperately, she had no choice.
“Ah,” said Death in her ear, “There is always another choice. Me” She called back at him as she fell through the darkness, “That is not an option, not for me!” A thousand ghosts flew around her, calling at her “Join us! Come, magic-master! You must come sometime, soon!” She could not respond. A bright light shone over her. Her master. “Why do you show me these visions, lord?” She called. There was no answer. “Do you want me to die, lord?” She said. The answer came in another light, “Do you?”
When she awoke again, the tent was deserted. Her master hadn’t spoken to her in years. Now his parting words were but a barb. Did she? Of course not! She breathed hard. Why would he ever say that, of all things? He had made her immortal, did he regret it?
Her head spun. There was no way she could puzzle that out, not while she felt so sick. Her magic was gone, 100% gone. It was a little unsettling to feel so weak. She was at the mercy of Serpent now. This was an unusual position, and not, she thought, a common one.
Nylen came in, bearing a tray of food. She couldn’t speak or move. It took every bit of energy she had to keep her eyes open. He smiled at her and set down the tray. “You okay?” She nodded slightly and he left.
An aching hunger tore at her. Her arms were like lead as she tried to eat but though it hurt, she forced herself to. The food revived her, and she could think straight. What should she do now?
Somehow, she had to help the fight, without actually killing him. She could fight as much as she wished without magic, though. It was time she made herself another sword. Then she could go into battle, with the soldiers of the kings. She would have to get the tree to cooperate. That would be pretty hard, and frustrating.
She rolled on her side and thought. Daniubus had the most soldiers, and Aaron had the best. She would make Quin the strategist, he was better than she was at that. His soldiers would be under Aaron’s command.
She would lead them all into battle, she and Aaron and Daniubus. Daniubus could be first that would make him feel important. She could deal with Asatar’s magikers with Entre and Kolbe’s help it was the non-magic people she was worried about.
There was a flurry of movement outside the tent. It was infuriating to not know what was going on. She strained her ears but could only hear a murmur of voices. Suddenly, Ali ran in. Her usually calm face was worried. “Magic-master! Asatar wants to attack the other kings; he wants a battle, one battle. He pits each king against all the rest, for control of Galin itself!” she cried, dashing out again.
The magic-master groaned. Disaster had struck. This would divide the island overnight, pitting friend against friend. The rivers would become the lines of battle; the site for the fight would almost positively be the water. It would destroy the fabric that had held together Galin for so long.
There was but one thing to do. The rebels would follow her, she was sure. They hated kings of all kinds, no matter which ones. The rebels would unite, then and the people supported them, so the magikers would come to her side too. No king would get her support, none. She lay back and tried to sleep. The moment her magic returned, it was off to the races and the thieves would be her army.
It took her three days to recover from the tremendous use of her magic. On the second day, she had Nylen write up a declaration of war. Messengers from the other thief kings had come and agreed with her proposal. In one week, the battle would take place. It would be fought, not on water, as she had assumed, but on Asatar’s swampy fields.
The people were divided between those who sided with the kings and those who were with the rebels. The magikers were, sadly, almost all with the kings, but there were about ten on her side. She and Ali had designed a uniform. It consisted of a black breastplate over a mail shirt and a red jacket. None of the kings had any red or gold uniforms, so they would stand out. The crest was a sword, surrounded by a fox, a wolf, a snake, a serpent and a tiger. The soldiers wore black pants and boots, and golden helmets.
The camp was protected with every magical spell she knew. People came from all over Galin to Serpent’s camp, the HQ. She knew it was time she made a sword, and she went off into the woods alone. Fire flew from her fingers and centered in the clearing. Magic flowed through her like blood. The air was light and clear. She let a trickle of magic go into the fire.
Spells and colors flew into the flames, crackling and burning and turning the fire a million colors. She saw a sword in her mind, a gleaming silver one. Not too long, with no gems in the hilt. That was too showy, for this war. Concentrating, she molded the now huge ball of energy into a sword shape, and lifted it out of the fire. She blasted it with air magic first.
Wind danced around it, sinking into the silver surface. Then came earth magic. Leaves infused with it, soil surrounded it and rocks melted into it. Finally, rain poured upon it and ice made it hard.
The sword spun it the air over her head, buffered by the spells sinking into it. There was a blast of golden light and it fell into her hand. Her magic dimmed and she inspected it carefully. It was very different than the one she had meant to make. It was pretty short but it was half black and half silver. The grip was leather and golden and the hilt had a single blood red ruby set into it.
The sides of the hilt were not plain they were snakes, golden snakes with creepy smiles. She grinned. A sword it was, a fine sword. A rush went over her and her master hissed in her ear “What does it mean, though?” She had no reply, but he stayed by her ear. “The blade is half black and half silver, lord. Perhaps it means I must strike a balance. Between what, I don’t know” She said, carefully.
There was no reply. “I don’t get why I need a grip, lord, but it could mean that I have to be more humble, more like the ordinary soldier. And the snakes could be so I remember I have more responsibility than the ordinary soldier” her master cut her off “You are wise, girl, but what about the ruby?” She peered into the stone. There was a shape inside, the shape of her blood-spot. “Maybe it is telling me to remember how important my spot is. What do you think, lord?”
There was a moment of silence. “I will say this once, girl. There’s no need to get a big head. I believe you were the best person I could have given immortality to. It takes no ordinary person to figure that out. Do not die in the battle ahead this cannot be the end of your story. The universe needs a magic-master, and there is no better one than you. Wipe that stupid grin off your face!” He snapped, dousing her with a flash of pain as he disappeared.
She smiled. Compliments from her notoriously rough master were few and far between. She slipped the sword into a sheath at her belt. Nylen, who was very skilled in leather work, had made it for her, and it was one of the finest she had seen.
There were only two days until the battle. She went back to the camp. Nylen and Ali admired her sword. “Can you make me one?” She heard a voice ask. It was Alex, the youngest of the magikers. She stared up at the magic-master. The magic-master smiled. “No, but I can show you how to do it” She remembered how much she loved the community that was created by warfare and especially battle.
She had been giving Alex lessons for three days now, but just as she was about to begin another, Serpent walked in. “Ghost-whisperer, we need you at the meeting” She sighed and followed him. The thieve kings sat around a table, arguing. Serpent slammed his fist on the table and snarled “Listen up! Who ought to lead our party in the battle?”
The magic-master groaned. Men, of course, the question was nothing practical, purely egotistical. “You mean behind me?” she leered at the table. There was a long silence, but then Snake nodded “Obviously” She considered the table. Lion was the strongest that was apparent. Fox was the youngest, and Wolf the oldest.
She trusted Serpent and Snake, but they were the “homeboys” and might not be trustworthy enough to lead them in battle. It would be Lion, but he was a sly devil and Quin would work that to his advantage. She didn’t trust Fox enough, and he was too green anyway. Wolf it was.
“Wolf, you shall lead the army behind me. Anything else?” She asked. Wolf could barely conceal his proud smile as he said “No. I thank you, magic-master” He bowed his head to her as she exited. She could feel Serpent’s eyes following her. He’d thought she would choose him, she was sure of it. Too bad.
She went back to her tent, but Alex and the others were gone. Preparations for the fight were nearly finished. She could hear the soldiers preparing for battle, the sergeants calling orders and the clash of swords. They were a relatively small force; however they were fiercely loyal and prepared to sacrifice themselves. Many of them had never fought before. She clenched her fists. The kings would pay for their arrogance, especially Asatar. She was going to have her soldiers kill him as soon as they could. She hoped Galin could be saved, but in her heart she knew that it would be forever changed.

Chapter 10
The day before the battle, the magic-master received four reports, one from a spy in each of the king’s camps. She read them aloud at their final meeting, with all of the thieve kings and Ali and Nylen and the magikers. The report from Aaron’s camp was as follows:
Magic-master, he has gathered many men, but no magikers at all. His men are only doing it for him, they have no drive themselves. I have turned two squads myself. Good luck.
The table smiled at this news and she went on to the report from Quin’s camp.
Magic-master, he does not even want to battle. His men are frightened of you and the thieves. His magikers have deserted him; they think he is too weak. Do not relax on him, though. He knows strategy better than anyone else in Galin. Let the gods be with you.
There was little reply to this one and she continued on to the report from Daniubus’ lines.
Magic-master, he is so confident, it makes one sick. An insane man, yes, but a clever one. His people are all on his side, he has promised the slaves their freedom if they fight. He pays the magikers lots of money and they flock to him like dogs to a master. Be careful, he is strong. To victory!
The table groaned. Daniubus was the king who they were the most worried about, aside from Asatar. If he was powerful, things would be tough. She pulled out the last one, from the spy in Asatar’s camp, and began to read.
Magic-master, he has more magikers than I can believe. He is furious and wants nothing less than to rule Galin and make all who oppose him slaves, or worse. He is most concentrated on the kings, but when someone says your name he jumps and orders them to be killed. I think he fears what you can do, magic-master. He is going to force you to be on his side, or die. He thinks you will choose service to him over death. It is up to you, fire-dancer.
The room was silent. She re-read the note. He is going to force you to be on his side, or die. How could he force her to that? With her magic, none of his soldiers could touch her. But Asatar was crafty. He would come up with something, and she would condemn Galin to destruction before she’d accept death. He knew that.
Fox spoke up, “We cannot worry so much about the enemy, and we need to worry about ourselves. Right?” The group nodded and departed, wrapped up in last-minute prep. Ali and Nylen and Alex looked to follow her but she waved them off. She had been practicing with her new sword, but had not yet found a name for it.
When she reached her tent, she starched out her magic, calling the first ghost she reached. In a moment, the transparent figure was by her side. It was a young man, dressed in raggedy clothes and a sideways cap. “Who are you?” she asked. He smiled and said “Tanner. Why did you call me, magic-master?” She showed him her sword. “Pick a name for it, Tanner.” He stared at her, “Really? Alright, let’s see. It is two colors, and it has snakes and a bloody stone. A warrior’s sword. But a name? Ah, I know! There was a legend I hear once. A great magiker made a sword like that, and he called it Baiter. Does that work?”
She nodded. Holding her finger to the hilt, she carved the name into the metal. Tanner watched in awe. “Good luck for your battle, ghost-whisperer” he said, floating away. Baiter. A stranger name she had never heard, but it was her custom to let ghosts name her weapons. Now there was just the battle. The rest of the day, she prepared herself.
Early the next morning, she was with the rest of the army, hidden in the woods near the battle site. They were all ready. She could tell the other armies were near, and could sense the other magikers. Entre and Kolbe and her other magikers were spread through the ranks.
Baiter was firm in her hand and Wolf was close behind her, waiting for her signal. Suddenly, Asatar’s men raced into the area and the other kings charged. She waited a moment and then shot a golden ray into the battle and called “Now!” The thieves plunged into battle, shouting against the kings and for the people. Men from all sides turned on their fellows and changed their colors. The magic-master laughed. Her spies had done very well. None of the men were on horseback, and the magikers were immediately obvious. They wore all black and they all were looking for her. Entre tore at one of Asatar’s magikers at once and her other magikers soon disappeared.
She dove in, slashing with Baiter and using little magic, until finally she came to one of Daniubus’ magikers. He boxed her around the head with a magic blow but she shot magic down Baiter and shocked him dead.
All around her, people battled and fell. The thrill of fighting made her fast and furious. One after another she cut down. Cuts dotted her body and the air smelled of fire and blood. Flames flew from her fingers, driving men back and scorching the land. She saw her men fight, fall and cut others down, kill or be killed.
The magikers came at her, three or more at a time. They were good, but not good enough. They lay about her, stabbed by magic daggers, torn up by magic beasts or bearing the scars of earth, fire, water or air magics.
She could see Asatar in the distance, battling many men at once. A magiker shouted a spell and she felt her soul being torn away. She fought back, flicking the cure back at the magiker. Swords scraped her arms and spells made her head pound. She battled the magikers with waves of power, drawing on her sword and her blood-spot. Hail and rain fell from the sky, lightning cracked.
Spells and swords flew across her vision. Someone had nearly taken her nose off and it was pouring blood even with magic healing. A deep voice called “Where is the magic girl, the fire-dancer, who calls herself magic-master?” The battle slowed. She spun in a circle, shooting flames out to clear a circle. “Here I am! To whom,” she called, slashing at Quin’s men, who were attacking her “Do I own the pleasure?”
A magiker appeared before her, with many other magikers behind him. “All of us, who fight for the kings, all of us are united now.” He said. Another added, “we are not partners but we all agree on one thing-““You don’t deserve to live!” one yelled. She laughed, “You are all Asatar’s magikers, but good try. You want to die? Come on!” Come they did. She felt like she was on fire, there were so many spells shooting at her. Every curse she knew, she used.
Eventually they fell but she was weakened. Daniubus’ magikers came next, but they couldn’t get to her anyway. They injured her badly though, and she could barely walk. She stumbled through the battle, cutting down anyone in her path. Alex lay eagle-spread on the ground; a soldier had just slit her throat. The magic-master sliced the soldier open, her heart burning with rage.
Asatar called through the battle “The king who takes the rock from the hill first is the king of Galin, and all must bow to him!” Everyone charged for the hill. She groaned and flew up in the air, towards the hill. The soldiers were like a sea of color, charging up the small hill for the large rock on it. She swooped over it and grabbed the rock, hovering over the hill. Everyone stopped. The four kings stepped forward. Their followers backed up until she was alone on the hill with the four.
They stared up at her, their faces masks of fear and anger all at once. No one had foreseen that she would be the one to pick the king, not even Asatar. Her mind was blank. Who could lead Galin well? Not Asatar, that was for sure. Aaron or Daniubus, but Daniubus was crazy. Aaron then.
He stood just to her left, a small grin on his face. He knew that she had to choose him, even though they disliked each other. It was the logical choice. “King Aaron, I make you king of all Galin. But I’m still not on your side, mind you” The soldiers erupted into a mix of cheers and jeers.
She silenced them with a spell. “He is your ruler now, if anyone thinks otherwise,” she paused. It broke her to do this, “I will give them the most painful death I can think of” Aaron was smirking and he climbed to stand at the top of the hill. She knelt before him and bowed her head. The King laughed “See, even the magic-master pledges her allegiance. Come now, bow before me or suffer painful death”
Slowly, the people came forward until all had pledged their loyalty and then Aaron turned to the former kings. “You thought that the magic-master would choose you. Really, I bet you truly did. Quin, you will come with me and Daniubus, you too. Places will be found for you in my ranks for you, no hard feelings. But you stay here, Asatar. It was you’re doing that created this mess.” The magic-master was left on the hilltop with Asatar. “You don’t trust him, do you?” he asked her, sitting down. She shook her head. “Now you have no choice, magic-master. Join me, or die” he pulled something from his pocket. Her magic flared. It was a ghost, trapped inside a glass ball.
He heart pounded and she nearly fell down. It was the ghost of Crikoren, whom she had trapped years ago. “How did you get it?!” She cried. Crikoren was a very powerful demon, and he was about to kill her when she trapped him. Asatar laughed at her fear, “Never mind that. I will smash this, and have him kill you if you don’t help me. So there!” he leered.
He is going to force you to be on his die, or die. Her spy was right. And Asatar knew what her answer would be. “I will help you, Asatar. Just get rid of that!” she snapped. He tapped the top and it disappeared, back to its hiding place in another world. He smiled and clapped her on the back, “I can summon it at any time I please, just in case you feel tricky”
They sat in silence as the sun went down, and the magic-master knew that everyone would be furious with her being on his side. She would tell them now. A blast of magic soared from her fingers and into Galin. It would tell everyone that she was with Asatar, and why.
There seemed to be an island-wide angry cry as her message sunk in. Asatar began to climb down and she followed. They went into the forest, where Asatar led her to a shelter made of leaves and branches. She sighed and made it into two simple huts and went into one without a word. Asatar had her bound to him with the ghost under his control. She would just have to serve him, a position she despised.
He would surely have some plan to take down Aaron, but now he was fighting the whole of Galin. And so was she. How had he ever gotten hold of Crikoren? The demon had been hidden in a place very few people would ever be able to find. Someone would have to be able to travel through the worlds with ease. Who disliked her enough to give Crikoren to Asatar?
And who could do it? She racked her brain as she sat on the bed. Sair. She hit herself on the head. Of course! Sair knew where Crikoren was, and she hated her for betraying her family to the king. She would do it, she was sure. She cursed.
Lying back on the soft covers, she began to think. She had to have a plan. The thieves might help, but she couldn’t do much until she knew Asatar’s plan. She had to be on one side of the other, though and while Aaron’s side seemed appealing now, she didn’t trust him.
She sighed. When this thing was over, Galin would never be such a peaceful place again. Was it time for her to move on? So many worlds, so many she had never been too, she could flee. But not yet. She owed Galin a favor, and she would try to protect it until she could do no more. Then she would go, beyond the seas, to another world. There, that was a plan.

Chapter 11
The next morning, Asatar woke her up. “I have a good plan, magic-master. You can’t kill any of the kings, right? But I can. You get me past all the guards and I’ll stab ‘im” He said as way of greeting, “And I will be king of all Galin!” She sat up and glared at him, “Hooray”
Asatar laughed. “Still against me, magic-master? It would make sense for you to join me. The lovely woman who gave me your little ghost told me you often have sided with the underdogs. And I am the underdog now, right?” She groaned and climbed out of bed. She really was getting tired of Asatar. “True. But Galin was in a perfectly good position with you four sharing it. No reason you had to get all cocky” The magic-master said, filling it with contempt.
Asatar slunk down in a chair. “It wouldn’t have stayed that way. The thieves were gaining ground, and anyway, I could unite Galin under me, better than before” She snickered, “You? Any man who wants to get magic without having been born into it-“He cut her off. “You did the very same thing I did, magiker. You searched for magic, you weren’t born into it”
She wiped off Baiter. “I was given magic, by the person’s choice!” she snapped. Asatar leaned in, grinning, “Not a person, fire-master. A god.” She shrugged, “Sair told you lots, Asatar. Even I don’t who he was”
“According to Sair, it was the Devil himself!” he said, the unmistakable hint of fear in his voice. She laughed. Was he really scared of who she could be? This could work to her advantage. She could trick Asatar, and so get the upper hand.
Shielding her emotions with magic, she gave him a glare. “She knows too much”. He started, “Than it is true?” She tried to contort her face into that of anger and resentment, “Yes” Asatar was silent. The fire-dancer nearly laughed at his expression, he was trying and failing to hide his fear.
What could make Asatar so afraid of the idea of the Devil? She considered him and asked “Why does it matter to you?” He paused then was hesitant “It is dangerous to be on the side of one in favor with the Dark One. He came to me, magic-master” His look was so pitiful that she almost felt sorry for him. Almost. “Oh, he promised me wonderful things, but in the end, he said I was a coward and sent me away. When I cursed his name, he said that his servant would be my downfall.”
Her heart thudded. Was she really his downfall? And then, did that mean her master was the Devil? Not a particularly good scenario. There was a crash in the woods. The soldiers, surely, come to kill Asatar. Aaron was no fool. “I will go,” she said, with no sarcasm, “If you like”
Asatar shook his head. “You’ll stay here. Protect me, magic-master. Devil’s servant or not, I’ll have you serve me. Careful, the ghost is angry at you and if he was let out…” He let the threat hang in the air. Going out into the woods, she cursed. If only Asatar was a little more scared, she’d be off.
The soldiers had surrounded them and there were lots of them, clearly ready to fight. Asatar came out behind her and said “Ah, a nice little party-“One soldier cut him off, “Asatar, I won’t lie to you. This battle will end with a sword through your head. Magic-master, you have chosen the wrong side. We will try to kill you if you stand with him.”
She held Baiter over her face, the blade faced towards the soldier. “Try to kill me? Also try to kill him. I am on his side, if you want to kill him, than you better get past me.” It killed her to say it. She didn’t look at Asatar for she couldn’t bear to see his smirk.
The soldier shrugged and they all charged. At once, she threw up a shield, one that they could not pass through. She grabbed Asatar’s shoulder to disappear, but he stopped her, “Come on, fire-dancer, let’s fight.” His tone was serious, so she dropped the shield. Show-off. Asatar pulled out a sword as the soldiers went for him.
She sliced through a few of them and tried to keep them away from Asatar. He was laughing, a maniacal grin on his face. The soldiers she was fighting snarled at her “Why do you side with him?! I’d have taken death!” She jabbed Baiter at his arm, gashing a long cut in it, “I didn’t, man, and if you were I, you wouldn’t have either.” A blast of magic threw the young man backwards.
She moved through the soldiers, cutting them down. But not killing too many, after all, this was their job. She had never believed in senseless slaughter. Asatar was a pretty good fighter, and he had knocked his share of men. Binding the alive ones in magic cord, she turned to the one man still untied. He was bleeding but was not too badly injured.
“Count yourself lucky, man. You’ll tell the king what happened,” She said, making him disappear. Asatar wore a gloating face. The magic-master took his shoulder and made them disappear. They appeared in what had been Quin’s forest, in a small clearing.
Asatar turned to her, “Tomorrow, magic-master. Tomorrow we will go to Aaron’s castle and you’ll get me in and I’ll kill him!” He sounded like a child opening a new toy. She sighed, “Sure, Asatar. I can only protect you so far, though. You really think you can kill Aaron?” She spun her fingers and made two little huts.
Asatar only laughed in reply. His laugh was beginning to creep her out. She could not leave Galin in the hands of this madman. What about Ali and Nylen? And Alex, who had died to get Asatar out of power. She had a responsibility to Galin, for being her home for so long. The magic-master wondered if the thieves would help her. But for now, she was bound to Asatar.
She went into a hut and sat down to think. In hand to hand combat, she would bet on the king. If Asatar won, he would be king, and would have power over her still. As her backup plan, she could see if she could get Sair to take Crikoren back.
The hut’s walls were not providing any ideas so she slipped outside. Asatar was safely inside his hut. Good, she had dealt with him way too much. The woods were quiet and a good place to think. Her head was a swirl of confusion. There was little she could do in her current situation. Would Sair ever listen to her? They were enemies, after all. She would have to give Sair something, something big.
Colorful birds flitted through the trees. If Asatar won the battle with Aaron, there was barely anything she could do. She could band with the thieves, but they might not trust her after this. She sat on a rock a lay back. No way would she stay to the side if Asatar won. Even she couldn’t live with herself if she scampered away, without knocking him out of the throne somehow.
The leaves rustled in a way that could only suggest a person. Leaping up, she pulled Baiter out. It was probably some thieves, wandering. “Jeez, what’s taking you so long?” she heard through the branches. A young woman slipped between the branches, helping a young man through the gap. When the two saw the magic-master, they pulled swords out to face her.
The woman’s face changed to a mask of surprise, “You’re the magic-master!” She rolled her eyes, “Yep, that’s me. What about you? Is this all Aaron’s got?” The young man laughed. “We’d never side with him; he’s a king for god’s sake!” He had an easy, cheerful way about him. Both of them had ratty clothes and hair. “I’m Viper and my ill-mannered companion is Snish. What brings you here, ghost-whisperer?” said the young woman.
The magic-master looked them over again and asked “If you do not side with the king, to whom do you owe allegiance?” Snish smiled “The great king of the thieves, of course. Lion.” Viper glared at her, her eyes like daggers. “We have heard the news. You could not give your life to save all Galin? Really? With you on his side, Asatar will be the king”
Snarling, the ghost-whisperer flung them back with magic. Viper’s distain burned her skin like acid. That was how she was viewed now, a coward for not giving herself for the island. But Asatar would not become king! Without dying, she could still do that!
Snish laughed up at her, “What are you so scared about? Dying can’t be that bad, not so bad that you’ll destroy everything to keep it away.” He said, leering. She snarled. That dream, of death or oblivion that she had always dreamed. “Yes, man, it can. If you’d been alive for as long as me, you’d want to put off death, too,” She spat at Snaris, “Are you on my side or not? I’ll get you into Aaron’s castle, distract Asatar and you get to kill Asatar. How about that?”
There was a moment of silence. “Really?” said Snaris but Viper cut him off. “How do we know we can trust you?” Before she could answer, Entre and Kolbe appeared in front of her. “See, I told you!” Kolbe hissed. She turned to Viper and Snaris, “I couldn’t help but overhear. You can trust her, no matter what she’s done. We sided with her when the other magikers were against her. We helped her take Asatar’s magic.”
“Why have us do it?” Snaris asked, “We’re not magic” The magic-master nodded, “But he doesn’t know you. If you’re in the background, he won’t suspect anything! Get to Aaron’s castle tomorrow and wait. Entre and Kolbe, you too. I’ve got to get back” They all agreed and she went back to her camp.
There, she had a plan. She would get into the castle in a big, showy way. No one would notice if people rushed in; there would be a big crowd. She would fight her way to Aaron’s chamber and while he and Asatar battled, Snaris and Viper would try to stab Asatar. It was a risky plan, and carried the very real consequences of someone dying. But it was all she had. Now, she just had to play along with Asatar.
When she returned, Asatar sat outside his hut, deep in thought. “Contemplating tortures for your enemies?” She said, sitting beside him. He shrugged, “Thinking how I’ll rule Galin alone. It’s not as easy as you may think. But yes, torture comes into it.” She did not reply. The fire-dancer could not bring herself to imagine what would happen if Asatar took over. It was too horrible. “They will pay,” muttered the king, “for going against me”
The magic-master sighed. There was a time when she had trusted Asatar more than the other kings. There was a time when he was a smart, calculating devil. Now he was a crazy monster. She remembered him taunting her as his man dragged her along the path.
It was amazing what defeat could do to somsomeone. As she walked back into her hut, she thought. Had she changed since that day, nearly 200 years ago? Between then and now, she had lived in many worlds and met many people. She had battles more battles than she could count. But she hadn’t changed very much from that 12-year-old kid who had given up everything for her one wish.
She buried her face in her hands and threw herself on the bed. Everyone in the history of time had hoped to live forever, but only she had given everything she had. Her wish was all she had left when she was taken to her master, to the fuzzy world of white and black. This would not be her last world, no way.
If it came down to dooming Galin or giving her life, she had the same answer she had always had. The answer was the same one that had killed Harper and many others. The same answer that had made Sair hate her. But it always was her answer and would always be.
There were people she had seen, the so called “heroes”, the ones who died for others. She shook her head. In the end, it was still cold, harsh death.

Chapter 12
The rest of the day passed slowly. By nightfall, Asatar had worked himself into quite a state. She was convinced he was no longer entirely sane. Making him some food, the magic-master shut herself in her hut. The plan had to work. The temptation to become a “hero” would be too strong if Asatar was king.
In the morning, she and Asatar set off at once. He was swinging his fierce sword through the leaves, muttering. She wove magic guards over herself. Couldn’t get lazy. The river loomed before them. The magic-master threw disguises over her and Asatar, and hailed a boat.
“What’s your business ‘cross the river?” The older captain asked them, his voice harsh. She smiled and slipped the coins into his hand, “My brother and I wish to pay our respects to the new King. Will you take us across?” The man nodded.
As he ferried them across, they made idle chatter. The man was named Bashen, and he had supported the thieves in the battle. “But,” he supposed “Galin needed a king” She shrugged “You never know. We have a king, though and it’s best to get his trust quickly.” She replied. They reached the opposite bank without incident.
Asatar and the magic-master made for the castle. It was market day and there were many people on the paths. People dragged carts of food and other goods towards the city gates. No one looked twice at the disguised pair. The magic-master sensed when Entre, Kolbe, Viper and Snish entered the crowd. Good; they were ready.
Soldiers checked them as they passed the gate and then King Aaron’s castle loomed over them. She and Asatar went to the gates and she readied herself. A burst of magic shot from the ground, showing the castle with multicolored sparks. The stones lit on fire and the soldiers crumbled to dust. The magic-master raced into the castle, followed by Asatar and a mob which contained her accomplices.
Wave after wave of soldiers came at her as she climbed to Aaron’s room. Baiter was an arch of death in her hand and she could hear Asatar battling behind her. Magikers shot spell after spell at her but she pressed on. Every ghost in the castle rushed to help her, surrounding her like a shield. Pain flashed through her brain and blood ran over her face and body.
Finally, she reached the king’s room and Asatar burst through, followed by Viper and Snish and many magikers. The magic-master kept her back against the wall near the door and knocked back soldiers. Then, she went in. Asatar and Aaron battled in the center of the room, which was nearly destroyed.
Viper and Snish hid near the back, swords at the ready. The two kings were evenly matched and the battle was brutal. Aaron tricked Asatar and managed to slice open his side. She smiled. If Viper and Snish couldn’t stab him, than he’d die from blood loss. Asatar knew this and he took desperate swipes at Aaron, missing by a lot.
The King sidestepped his stabs and thrust his blade into Asatar’s chest. The disgraced king was flung to the ground, in terrible pain. As he turned to the magic-master, Viper leapt out and ended the evil king’s life. The magic-master made him disappear and turned to Aaron, “What now?” she said. The King was shocked, “I thought you were on his side!” She laughed “Sides never stay the same, king. Now Galin is yours.”
To her surprise, Aaron shook his head. “No. I cannot do it. If I see no point in living, how can I rule? Keep Galin safe, magic-master.” And the mighty king stabbed himself. The ghost-whisperer gasped. All this time, Aaron hadn’t wanted to be king, he hadn’t wanted to live. People who wanted to die she could never puzzle out.
“Galin is broken. I have given up” The dying king whispered. His heart stopped he slumped to the ground. The room was silent. Every pair of eyes stared at her. No. It couldn’t have happened. Who was to be king now? Galin was further torn apart. Few would side with her, for she had ruined it all. It would have been better if Asatar had won, anything would have been better than this!
She clenched her teeth. She had promised, she wouldn’t leave Galin now. Somehow, somehow she had to keep Galin together. Even now, as the news got out, there would be rioting and burning and killing. Who could stop all of it? Who could lead the island?
No, she thought, ignoring the stares, she would divide the island. One fourth for the thieves, one for the magikers. What of the other two? One for Daniubus, one for Quin. Let the kings stay where they were, the thieves could have Aaron’s old land, here, and she’d make the magikers move to Asatar’s old land.
Viper spoke up “What should we do magic-master?” She smiled, wiped the blood off her face and replied “Snish, find Entre and Kolbe and tell them to go home. Then go to Quin and tell him he’s still king of his sector. Viper, you go to Daniubus and tell him the same.” They looked sad at being separated and she realized she didn’t know if- “Are you guys related?”
They smiled and Snish answered, “Not yet. We were to get married before this whole thing started.” The magic-master nodded ‘You go together, then.” The two left and she was alone with the soldiers. “If,” she began, “you wish to work for another king, go to King Quin or King Daniubus. If not, stay here. The Thieves will rule here now.” The soldiers dispersed in silence. They seemed either in awe or afraid of her.
She had to get the word to all of the thief kings and there was no easy way to do that. Slowly, she climbed down the bloody and body-ridden steps and into the city. Everyone was running around. She levitated herself into the air and called out, in a magically magnified voice, “The king is dead!” The street erupted with shouting. “Galin will be divided again! There is no one king! This land is now under the control of the thieves!” She reached out with her magic so all of the thieves heard her and she made them appear before her. The crowd was angry. They shouted insults at her and the thief kings.
The sky grew dark and lightning lit up the once blue sky. A million colors flashed over the crowd. They grew silent and she rose her voice again “Who dares to challenge me? Anyone?” There was no answer. It was understood that anyone who took the call to heart would be killed at once. “Then you agree?” She asked them, hiding her mocking tone.
The crowd nodded, the sky was light again and the scene peaceful. Lion turned to her, “Who will lead the thieves?” The magic-master cursed. “Wolf, you’ll lead the kings, but you’ll all rule, got it?” She said. There was a murmur of assent and she breathed a sigh of relief. The magic-master gave the crowd a sweeping bow and disappeared.
She appeared at the magiker’s village surrounded with a flurry of magic. The leader burst out to meet her, brimming with anger. “Thanks to you, our children are dead! What do you want this time, fiend?” The magic-master smiled “How would you like to rule a fourth of Galin? No lying, no tricks.” The woman laughed, “No lies, no tricks? It doesn’t sound like you, girl!”
She sighed “I’m not kidding, magiker. I need you. Will you either consent to rule Asatar’s old land or tell me someone who you’d trust to rule it?” The leader had to say yes or she would be in a rough spot. The older woman was silent for a moment. “I have no desire to rule, girl. But there is a magiker that does and will. Forest! Come here!” She called.
A middle-aged man appeared at the door of a hut and came towards them, followed by a teenaged girl. “Forest has yearned to rule since he was a child. It has gotten him in plenty of trouble. But if one of us must rule, than Forest is the one. This is his daughter, Asati.” The magic-master looked him over. He was a strong man and a smart one too. Reasonably good-looking, he radiated inner power. A good leader, a good king.
Asati was very pretty in a rugged sort of way. She looked about 16. The resemblance between her and her father was amazing. “All right, do you feel up to ruling, Forest?” The fire-dancer asked. Forest smiled “Yes, very much so.” She returned his grin, “Then take my hand” Forest took her hand and his daughter took his hand.
They disappeared and appeared in Asatar’s old city. The magic-master called out to the city, “Come, and see your new king!” The people came in waves. She made a fine pedestal and all sorts of decorations appear, all in the colors of gold and red. They were very different colors than the old king’s, so everyone got how much everything had changed. The people gathered around the throne on the pedestal.
She made Forest and Asati wearing beautiful robes of red and gold and white. Forest sat in the throne and the magic-master placed a crown of gold and rubies on his head. There was silence. She magnified his voice and he began to speak. Oh, what a fine speaker he was. He talked of honor and pride and loyalty and a new dawn.
By the time he was finished, the crowd loved him and clapped wildly. Asati was obviously surprised and she turned to the magic-master. “Is he really the king now?” She asked. The magic-master nodded, “And you are the princess, if it pleases you.” Asati shrugged, “I’d rather be in the woods, hunting, exploring. I’ve heard lots about you, magic-master. You are much like I was when I was 12. But you have lived a hundred times longer than that. How have you not changed?”
“What do you mean?” The magic-master could sense a hard edge in the girl’s voice. Asati glared at her, “Do you ever wish you could die?” “No, never. I gave everything for that one wish-“The older girl sneered “A foolish, childish wish! One that every person aches for, but grows out of. But you haven’t grown magic-master. You still are a child, with the twisted mind of a child. No ordinary person would give up everything to avoid something that is for their own good!”
The magic-master gave the girl an icy glare “One human was born who would get immortal life. One human and one only would defy the rule that had bound humans since the dawn of time. I had that wish in me from the moment I was born. And I have grown, Asati, for sure. I have travelled many worlds and seen many wonders and horrors. What I have learned from all that is chiefly how terrible death is. No matter how and why someone dies, it is the worst terror in the universe. Why would you not want to give that up?”
“You have caused many deaths, magic-master, just to keep yourself alive. How many people have you killed, or let be killed so you would live?” Asati turned from the crowd and headed for the forest, along with the magic-master. “One of those you killed was my sister, Lae” Asati hissed at her. The forest trees were dark and the two stopped at a small stream.
The magic-master crossed her arms and retorted “Lae chose her own path. I forced her to do nothing!” Asati pulled a dagger from her belt, ‘You’d doom the universe to destruction before you’d accept death. You’re a child!” “I would, Asati, I would. Death asks me every so often, to see if I’ve changed. Even a child accepts death if it means their parents would live, if their friends will be saved. I do not, I will not.” The fire-dancer let flames dance over the water.
Asati spat at her feet, “Then you’re not human! Cold, uncaring and selfish! How can my father dare to bow to you?!” Baiter in her hand, the magic-master laughed a cold cruel laugh “Many people have told me I am not human, but I do care. I do care about people, but I cherish life more. Whenever someone dies, because of me, I feel it. I’m not a monster, Asati, whatever you think.” Asati scowled. “You’re still a monster” and she ran away, back to her father and the city.

Chapter 13
The magic-master watched her go, her heart aching. She and Asati could have gotten along quite well, if only for that one thing. Her curse and gift, immortal life. She stared up at the trees, fresh and green. Faces swarmed before her eyes, all of the people who had yelled at her as Asati did. There weren’t too many.
The clean-cut boy with the dagger eyes. Turner. The woman with shiny hair and a mocking laugh. Mikela. And the man, the powerful king, just before he was killed. Van Scence. They and Asati had burned her, their words worse than any sword. The words always made her pause. Was she really a monster, inhuman?
Blood raged through her head. Sparks blazed over her skin. No! Only a human could cry when they gave up people to die; only a human would feel remorse. Every face of those she had given up to death she remembered. She was no monster!
A little voice in her head piped up, as it always did, “What of your parents? Your sister?” The fire-dancer scowled at her tears. The first victims of her one wish. They did have to die though, or she would have had no magic or immortal life. The instructions had been specific; Give up everything. No one close to you can live, kill them all. That she had done, until she was all alone.
Brushing the hair from her face, she set her face in a determined glare. Enough about the past. After all of her work, Galin was not going to fall apart again. It would prosper, as well as it had before. She would ensure it. Picking her way through the trees, she came upon Serpent’s camp.
It was bustling. With the leaders away, the gangs were preparing to move to their new home. The magic-master was hailed with smiles. The thieves liked the idea of ruling their own land and not living under a king. Ali and Nylen were rolling a tent when she came up to them. Ali gave her a smile but said “Are you sure about Wolf ruling? Father-Serpent would have been better!”
The fire-dancer sighed. Of course. “No matter who I chose, not everyone would be happy. Wolf has the most experience and besides, Serpent’s your father! No wonder you want him to rule!” She said, giving them a hand. Nylen shrugged “Just because you don’t got any family, magic-master, you don’t have to tease us for going with our dad.” She bit her lip but nodded.
There was a crash through the forest and Kolbe and Entre jumped out. The magic-master saw at once their faces, masks of surprise. “What is it?” She asked the distraught pair. Entre stammered “Viper and Snish were on their way back from King Daniubus but they disappeared. We found this note. For you” He held out a note. It was written on thin paper with thick blue ink.
Dear magic-master, it read, I first must say that you are ever so stuck up because you don’t have a real name. Anyway, here I am again. There was no way you’d get away from paying me back for betraying me. I trusted you, as do a lot of people. But you’ll kill them all, won’t you? We’ll see. In the caves at the shore, magic point. Come, save them. See you. Sair.
The magic master crumpled the paper in one fist. Sair. “You’ll pay for this, wrench. All you stay here.” They started to protest. Her eyes burned with fire, “That’s an order. You will stay, right?” There was no reply and she disappeared. The shore of magic point was a windy place and her hair whipped furiously.
There was a lone cave up against the cliffs, set back from the water. As she made for it, the waves crashed and the sun was blazing, burning her skin. Sair was going to pay. Viper and Snish were to get married; no one was to mess with that. She neared the cave. Inside the mouth, Sair sat on the ground, a wicked grin on her face.
Sair was very pretty, with her blonde hair and green eyes, but she was ferocious and deadly. “Nice to see you again” She said, pulling a glass ball from her pocket. The magic-master roared with anger. Crikoren. He was here!? Curse it! No wonder Sair wanted to see her!
“Pleased to see an old friend?” Sair leered at her. Flames flashed over the magic-master’s skin. “What do you want, loser?” She said through clenched teeth, using the only insult that came to mind. Sair held Crikoren up to the light, “I want to see you fail, magic-master. You said that you’d never choose death, and you lied. You will choose death, watch!” She cried and flung her hand into the air. The magic-master was thrown back and she blacked out.
A million pinpricks of light. A dull pain like a fist in her head. A voice, a roar behind her eyes. Her master? No, Sair, her voice a cruel roar. Not talking to her, talking to others. She opened her eyes. She lay on the beach, set back from the water. People, lots of people surrounded her, like an arena. She got up. Her clothes had changed. She was wearing a fine dress, not her usual style.
Sair laughed, high and cruel, “I changed it. You want to look nice before you die!” The magic-master blasted her backwards and cursed “I’m not going to die! Not now! You can’t me accept death, ever!” The crowd trembled. She recognized Ali and Nylen, Kolbe and Entre and Asati.
Sair pulled herself from the sand, “I brought them to see you fail magic-master. They can all watch you die” Without another word, the woman waved her hand and made a picture flash in the air. Snish and Viper, holding hands, trapped in a small room with others. They looked at each other in such a loving way, a tender way.
An old man stood beside them. He wore the clothes of a minister and he held a Bible in his hands. All of the people watching heard him say the words that made them husband and wife. The two kissed and everyone in the scene clapped.
The viewers joined in, a few crying in happiness for the two. Sair turned to the magic-master “My parents had been married for 20 years, magic-master. Do you not regret killing them?” The magic-master bit back tears and replied “I do not regret that, Sair. It kept me alive.” Suddenly, Viper and Snish were really there, lying in the sand together, asleep.
Pictures flickered over their heads. Children, adventure, a happy life, the future. A happy home and a peaceful life. “You can keep that future, magic-master. All you have to do,” Sair pulled out Crikoren, “is let go.” The magic-master’s head spun. No. No. Sair couldn’t be saying- “Either you kill them, or you die. Very simple, magic-master.”
The ghost-whisperer nearly fell down. She couldn’t do it. Tear them from their prime of life, as they slept before her, in bliss. A peaceful, wonderful life awaited them and she could not simply end that. But, the alternative was Death. She could see him, the dark-robed figure, gloating at her acceptance.
No, Death would not get her. Never. His chill made her heart pound. No, she would kill them. She would not die. The faces of Ali and Nylen and Entre and Kolbe glared at her, pleading. Pleading for her to take Death into her arms. She raged, the one thing she would never do! They were supposed to be her friends, and to urge her to do what she could never, would never…
Sair laughed, “You are still human! Take death, and spare the innocent!” Fingers trembling, she pulled out Baiter and raised it. Asati called from the crowd, “You’re the monster! No human would kill like that! They ought to live!” There was a roar within the fire-dancer and her master was by her side. “Why do you hesitate? Can I still trust you, magic-master, or will you forget me?”
His words burned her. She cursed herself. Why was she messing around? Kill them! Her fingers were so sweaty that she nearly dropped her sword. The crowd was silent, the waves a steady drumbeat. She could see nothing but the couple’s peaceful faces. Sair flicked her fingers and they woke up.
At once, they jumped up and were shocked, very much so. “What is it, magic-master? Why-“ Viper began but before she could finish, time sped up and the magic-master ran her through with Baiter. There was a long silence. She then stabbed Snish, the look of shock frozen on his face. The crowd had a single message in their eyes: Monster.
The magic-master scowled at them, her magic forming a mask over her face. Sair was stunned “I-I thought that they being so, innocent would make you take death. You’ll never die. What point is there for me to live? All I have done in life is stand in your way, but no one can.” The magic-master barely paused but slashed open the woman’s chest. There was horror in the air and the people all ran or disappeared. The magic-master sunk to her knees as the waves crashed.

Chapter 14
The faces of the newly married couple were branded on her eyes. Why did her wish have to come with the terrible consequences that had made her a monster? She bit on her knuckles until they ached. Suddenly, a figure appeared on the waves, slowly coming towards her. At first, she was sure it was Death, come to taunt her. But though it was black, it was not human-like enough to be Death. Light flowed from it, rippling in the water. Her master.
She stayed on the sand, her body too weak to move. He came closer and closer until he stood over her. He had no real body, only a pillar of black with shining lights that looked kind of like a human. As he stood there, she was consumed with a strange pain, the same that she’d felt when she’d gotten her magic. He only said one word, before he melted away, “Life.”
Her head spun as she watched him go. Life. This was her life there was no way to change that. She could never be anyone else other than who she was, someone who would kill to keep herself alive. The magic-master took several deep breathes. Galin would turn from her now. No one would accept her, not now that she had killed Viper and Snish.
Even to those who knew nothing of who they were would turn away. Daniubus would be outraged at her, cruel as he was. No ordinary person could kill a newly married couple, especially if they were innocent. But she was no ordinary person. She lay back in the sand and stared up at the sky. Could the fragile peace that she had managed to keep intact hold Galin? Where was her place on the island, if she even had a place?
The horizon beckoned. New worlds to explore, many more. She shakily stood up and stared off into the setting sun. The colors shocked her eyes, waking them up. The magic-master shook her head. She couldn’t skip off without just trying to make peace with her friends, Ali and Nylen and Entre and Kolbe. Somehow, she had to make them understand, somehow.
It was an impossible task, but she had to try. Then it would be off to the whirlwinds, off to the hundreds of other worlds that beckoned. She sighed. She felt sick and was so tired she could collapse. Even though she knew that sleeping on such a magic place was a very bad idea, she could not help it. The magic-master took one last look at the waves and sunk to her knees and fell asleep.
As she had expected, the magic of the place did not let her rest easy. The moment she closed her eyes, she was walking in another world. She ducked behind the trees, running from something. Her heart pounded and she began to run. Under one arm she carried a heavy basket but she was still quick. The treetops blurred the sun. Her bare feet burned with pain from the rocks beneath her feet and her arms ached.
Finally she stopped a cave with a stream in front of it. She clamored across the water and into the dark of the cave. Suddenly, she remembered this scene. By a fire sat two young children and their mother and father. The children were twins, a boy and a girl. Darius and Asania, with dark skin and bright eyes. Both of their parents were badly injured, from the war that they had been forced to fight for their old master.
The magic-master had served that master but she had helped them all run away from the front. They had been servants and their master didn’t care if they lived or died. The parents were close to death, and nothing she did helped. The kids jumped up as she entered “Any news?” asked Asania in her sweet and soft voice.
The magic-master was silent. There was news, and it wasn’t good. Their old master was coming and would be here shortly. He had gathered the best magic makers he could find to fight her and was going to kill the others for deserting and take her back. The children were only eight years old and their faces were so full of hope.
She couldn’t bear to tell them. As she pulled the medicine from her basket, there was a crunching of sticks outside and her heart nearly stopped. Her consciousness floated up out her body to look over the scene. She couldn’t watch. The magic makers had overpowered her and she’d watched them all die, all by her hand. The children’s faces flashed over her eyes and the scene changed.
A man sitting across a table from her, his daughter by his side. They sat in the study of castle with tall windows looking over a fine estate. The man, a rough cut Lord Ronald leaned forward, “Please, fire-dancer. I know you don’t want to this, but keep her safe. Take her away, far away. Where the enemy cannot find her. I will be killed but if Ara is trained, she can rule after me.” He begged her. Ara, a tough girl of 18 glared at him, “No, father. You will not die, we will protect you. I will not run from you. You need me!”
Lord Ronald shook his head, “No. You cannot be in danger. Magic-master, I order you. Take her away!” She had done as he said. Dragged the girl to the north woods, and hid her for 10 years. Scenes flashed before her eyes, the two of them training, living in peace. But when Ara had returned to the world, she’d gone at once to avenge her father’s death. She and the magic-master had argued, badly.
They stood in a forest, on opposite sides of a fire. Ara cursed the magic-master and taunted her “You know nothing of family! You killed your own family!” The magic-master tried to reason with her but the woman ran off, slicing her sword across the fire-dancer’s arm. Good riddance, she’d thought.
But then Ara went and got herself killed. She’d gone to the home of her father’s killer and drawn him out. The scene was a blur of blood and fire, the magic-master trying to keep her away from the man, who would certainly kill her. Ara had thrown her off, broke her magic with the strength of her love for her dead father.
The young woman charged the strong man and there was an explosion of color. Her head slit open with pain and when the color cleared, there was no sign of Ara. Worse yet, the man had incredible magic. He controlled her for nearly a year and with every terrible thing she did, she cursed herself for letting Ara go.
The scene changed again and she sat at a fire, with a girl by her side. This was the worst memory of the lot. The girl was Aslan, the only one who had been even close to being her equal. Scenes floated by. The two of them in battle, together, always on the same side. She and Aslan were as close as any sisters. Aslan was amazing at magic and they often fought for fun.
She had been her companion for only about 3 years until she was corrupted by a man, much older than she was. Casper. He’d taken Aslan away and fed her with lies. Aslan tried to get away but he had great power. The magic-master crashed through the trees, towards a dark castle.
Casper had hid Aslan well and it had taken her a while to find this place, up in the north, in the cold. A single window in the tallest tower was lit but as she watched in, the man appeared before her. “Give me Aslan, swine! She’d much too good for someone like you!” She snapped. Casper laughed “She wants to stay, magic-master, she knows she must grow up. Not like you, forever young. Now she resents you, for being a child. Look, up at the tower.”
In the window was Aslan’s face, older and fiercer. She signed with her hands, “He does not lie. You are not human. Be who you are, this is who I am.” The fire-dancer ran, tears streaming down her face. She had no partner, she was all alone, always alone.
Finally, the last memory, another painful one. She battled a girl, dressed in fine armor. Alexia, who she nearly killed until her brother stepped in. Tucker, a boy her own age with dark hair and piercing eyes. “Kill me take me, not her, never her!” He stammered but another soldier killed his sister and he stood before the magic-master. She could not kill him.
There was something in this boy that was different, than any person she’d met. She spared him, and the two worked together for a while. She begged her master to make him immortal, so that they might stay with each other. It was love, and what a strange thing it was. He was rather like her, but he could never give up everything. He was too kind.
One day, it got him killed. The two of them were in a battle, serving a ruthless lord. Tucker stood over a body, a man who was nearly dead. “One of you kill him!” The lord snarled at the two. Tucker shook his head “I won’t do it and you can’t either, magic-master!” The lord was furious. He could kill them at once and he was very powerful, too powerful.
“One of you, kill the other. Go on, or you both die!” he leered. “Both” said the boy. She bit back tears, “No, you.” As the soldiers watched, she stabbed him as he stood there, not fighting back. If she did not, she would die. Her or Tucker, and so it had to be Tucker. The moment he died, she wanted to take her sword back and she threw herself into trying to heal him. A wind whirled over her and Death laughed at her as he took the boy into his arms. He crossed his arms and asked “Will you give yourself to me for the boy’s life?”
She stared into Tucker’s blank stare. His chest no longer bled but was bloodstained terribly. Could she give herself up for Tucker? Sweet, kind Tucker? Her body froze and she numbly shook her head. The black figure waved his hand over the boy and let him fall to the ground. Death disappeared and the lord, coming to his senses, spat on Tucker’s body, sneering “Serves the mongrel right. Kind-hearted coward!”
Blood surged through the magic-master and she lunged at the lord. How dare he insult Tucker?! The man threw her off, his magic forming into a whip of pure ice. He beat her, over and over again. She fought back and thrashed out at him, scraping his face. The pain she got in return was tremendous, knocking her into the air. Blood smeared across her vision and she got to her feet, racing to safety.
His spells followed her, knocking her this way and that, filling her mind with agony. Drawing on every bit of magic she had, she drove him off, but she felt close to death. The pain was so bad that she nearly called out to death to come, but she stopped herself. Crying and screaming as she had never before, she lay on the ground and then watched that memory end.

Chapter 15
The magic-master woke, tears in her eyes. The past was gone though, and the present had its own problems. She sat up and watched the waves crash. It was late morning; she had slept for a long time. The faces of her friends were sharp in her mind. Ali and Serpent, especially, would be furious at her if she was to seek them out. Entre and Kolbe would be mad too, but they’d known her for a shorter time.
She made herself some food and watched the clouds. No doubt they would think of her as a monster, un-natural, un-human. They might even be scared of her. Using a good tracking spell, she located the lot of them. They were in the forest, nearby. The ghost-whisperer concentrated. The four of them sat around a fire. Gaunt faces, shell-shocked eyes.
“We ought to kill her,” said Entre, clenching his fists. Kolbe shook her head, “We’d only get ourselves killed, Entre. Let’s hope she leaves.” The magic-master returned her mind to the shore. They wanted her to leave, well, she would. But not before giving them a little speech. She dusted off her clothes then realized she still wore Sair’s dress.
In an instant, she wore a fine suit and a bowler cap, accented with a feather. Much better. The fire-dancer gave the horizon one last glance and she disappeared. When she appeared before her friends, emerging from the trees, they leapt up, swords at the ready. Entre shot a spell at her at once.
The magic-master brushed it off and smiled. She bowed to the four of them, sweeping off her hat, “Hello, my friends. Quite the lovely day today.” They had no reply, only glares and the sharp blades in their hands. “Come to kill us now? You’re nothing but a monster, a greedy monster!” Kolbe cried her voice afraid. Nylen stabbed at her, his face in an angry mask like his father, “Can’t you just give it up? You only cause death and pain and horror! Let it go, and let yourself die!”
She countered his stab, but avoided injuring him. “It is who I am, Nylen. Would you just give your life away? Would you allow yourself to die if you could live, and go on and explore?” She asked the group at large. The silence in response was only broken when Entre jumped at her, snarling “You want to play with our minds, don’t you, magic-master? How can you be human if you have no real name?”
Ali joined Entre, slashing at the magic-master. “If,” the girl began, “I could save another’s life by dying, I would do it.” The others nodded in agreement, circling the fire-dancer. She waved Baiter in an arch but made no move to fight back, “I don’t want to hurt any of you. You have been my partners, some of you longer than others. Can you do something for me, at least?”
Kolbe laughed, “For you? Why?” The magic-master glared at her, “Keep Galin together, I beg of you. I have no place here anymore. I’m leaving, going far away. No one will be my partner anymore, they will fear me but that’s no way to keep them together. Entre, Kolbe, you have great magic. Use it. Help the kings and all who need it. Don’t let Galin fall apart. Keep the thieves together, Ali, Nylen. You must, or war will tear the island up again and I cannot be here to stop it. Will you?”
The four were quiet again but then Entre answered, “I don’t trust you but I think you’re right. I will do all I can for Galin, so long as you go and never return.” Kolbe nodded, “Galin needs to be rid of you. Go, quickly. We’ll do a better job of keeping the island together.” The magic-master turned to the two children who met her gaze with determined glares. She nodded and bid them farewell, racing back to the beach.
The waves had grown and the sun was brilliant. She pulled off her boots and socks, leaving them in the sand. It was warm beneath her feet. Salty tears fell from her eyes, one, two, and seven. Galin was such a wonderful place and she had grown attached to it. Who knows what the new worlds would bring? The fire-dancer let flames flit from her hands, burning a pattern in the sand.
It showed a sword, the edges tinged with blood. Letters around it said “Life above death.” She colored it, bright, gleaming red and silver. It was a startling tattoo on the clean shore, a reminder to Galin. As she prepared to disappear, there was a noise and she turned around. A young girl ghost watched her, flitting between the trees. The ghost raised a hand to say goodbye. The magic-master gave her a smile and disappeared from Galin forever.
She had long gotten used to the strange sensation of spinning through the universe, colors blinding her. Glimpses of worlds spun around her, daring her. But the universe always decided for her. Finally, one world began to come into focus. A water-filled world-it was the world of Galin. That was strange; she’d never been taken back to a world.
It zoomed in and she saw that it had changed. It was Galin, but a Galin that she could barely recognize. The forests were burned and so were many houses. She saw a king, ruling the entire island with an iron fist. He was cruel and Galin was a wretched place now. This was the future, she was sure. But she had to go on.
The universe spun her around, carrying her away from Galin, to another world. She landed in a ship, at a dock. All around her, men unloaded the fine boats. Tall ships, they were, with huge sails and colored flags. The men were so intent on their work, they didn’t notice her. She wore a simple suit of clothes; white shirt, brown pants, boots and a cap. Baiter was hidden below a long jacket.
Suddenly, a hand clenched on her shoulder. Powerful magic soared over her, pinning her to the deck. A well-dressed man stood over her, grappling with her mind. She tried to throw him off, but he was ever so strong. He frisked her and examined Baiter. “A fine sword for a stowaway,” he remarked.
The magic-master struggled “Give it!” He did not but held it with two hands, ready to snap it, “No swords for civilians, whelp.” He snapped the gleaming blade, tossing it into the water. The girl swore at him, trying to throw his grip off. The man laughed and shot her mind with a terrible magic dagger, which threw her on her back. He caught a glimpse of her blood-spot and took off the binds, “You are the magic-master?!”
She swung herself over the side of the boat and ran, not answering. The crowd hid her and she was soon safe in the street. There was a corner newsstand and she grabbed a paper as she slipped by. When she found a quiet alley, she opened it and promptly gasped. Finally, she had come to the world that others had always talked about. Plith.
It was a magical island, supposedly full of forests with beasts beyond your wildest dreams. As she read, the mystery deepened. Plith was ruled by a single ruler, Queen Dali, a ruthless queen who would accept no husband. She had outlawed weapons for civilians in an effort to take a stand against the many riots against her government. The rioters wanted more freedom, as well as a more transparent government, etc. The usual, just a different version.
The magic-master closed her paper. What was her place on this island? Was she to side with the Queen, or with the people? She scanned the street. Were there any thieves, or did all of the guards have magic? A few ratty kids roamed the dark corners, but they were beggars, not thieves. She needed to see the island before deciding anythin

telescope we can communicate, and I want to know everything. Watch your back, Nicholas is pretty tricky. Got it?” The Queen said, slowly so he could get it. The fire-dance answered, “I got it. You can trust me, Lady Queen. Spying is one thing I do quite well.”
The magic-master let her clothes change into some ratty, simple clothes. Better for a person escaped from near drowning. As she prepared to disappear and embark on her mission, she took a deep breath. A new story was beginning, as the one of Galin ended. She lived on, forever.

Endnote:
Has the magic-master changed? She has been forced to kill two innocent people and her friends think she is a monster. We have no complete history of her life and I’m ever so curious about the memories and dreams. We never see the actual scenes, only the memories, and they are very pivotal scenes. The most curious one is the scene with Tucker. The in-human magic-master has fell in love, but she can throw the boy under the knife for her own life. She pauses when she has the chance to die and let him live, but she turned away. How could she do it? When I think of my family, of my children and wife, I could never do it. My wish is the same as the fire-dancer’s but I know that I cannot give up everything. I have included pages that were written by the girl herself, when, no one knows. They give us more insight, but there is no way we can ever really have the full story. I am your loyal servant, magic-master and your story will be told even if you never know.

~M.N.L
…..There is no way anyone other than I can live forever. No one else will be ever be able give up everything, they simply cannot. A barrier exists in all human-kind that somehow I broke. Often I think of the process by which I got my power. There are so many worlds to explore, so many places to go. An apprentice would be great to have. Someone who would, one day get their wish to come true. But is there anyone in the universe who can match me in their determination? Aslan was close, so close. She could have never felt pain, that was her wish, if only she’d been stronger. Whenever I try to train someone, it ends in pain, for me. Why do humans have to be so difficult? They can be determined, but they won’t. Killing is not as much as they think it is. Easy, but they struggle. But I’m a monster, so…………….
….When the thought of suicide comes, my heart burns with anger. These people won’t live long as it is! Why do they throw their lives away, because of anger or pain. Anger and pain are enemies that you can beat, but Death is not. It tears me apart when they do it…………..
…….People think that I don’t feel fear, which isn’t true. In fact, I feel it more than most people do. People say that I’m lucky, super lucky. They’re wrong. Would you like to have Death at your shoulder all the time? Does anyone want the responsibility of protecting the universe? Would you like a master on your back? I do wish sometimes that I was normal, but that is not what I was meant to be……
…..What does Death bring, anyway? What lies after he takes you in his arms and takes you away? Where do you go? This universe is so cruel, some people have a better life after death. Another universe? Could I travel to it, and come back? Why must there be death?
…….Ghosts always want to be people again but there is no way they can. My mind is wandering lately. To everyone I’ve ever killed. Am I going crazy? Have I always been crazy? I don’t feel insane, but do you ever feal it if you are crazy? My mind is different than anyone else’s, that’s true. But……

………….My hands shake as I write, bloodspots on the paper. The ghosts of my parents are tormenting me, making me relent. I want to take it all back, I want to give it all up. I loved them, really loved them but I killed them! No wonder they say I am a monster, I am! No human can kill their family like that, cold-blooded murder of the ones you love. But I regret it now, and I am in a rage. My dagger rips open my skin, just as I did to them. The pain is terrible, what with my master punishing me. Whenever I doubt myself, I think of what my master always says, “Life” What of Death, that human thing that I throw aside in return for killing? What of its victims, what of my parents? Not me, though, never me. Because I killed them, I live forever. Damn!....

Books of the Magic-Master
Book 1: The Beginning Killing
Book 2: Street Rats
Book 3: The Island in the Mist
Book 4: Rebellion
Book 5: Dark Days
Book 6: Just A Queen
Book 7: The Hooded One

Published by Weasly and Lovegood Inc. 2012. All rights reserved.

This book has 1 comment.

siglo15 SILVER said...
siglo15 SILVER, North Andover, Massachusetts
I really like the voice of the narrator, and the plot is awesome.