Demoness

Author's note: This was written by me and my friend Sara W. This was just for fun, so don't go judging it to harshly. Enjoy :)
Author's note: This was written by me and my friend Sara W. This was just for fun, so don't go judging it to harshly. Enjoy :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Ulgers

As I walked, the plodding of hooves could be heard from behind me.  It was my faithful horse, Chestnut.  She had accompanied me for every single one of my journeys.  I sighed as I lugged the heavy sled behind me. Chestnut couldn't carry all of the load.  As a nomad, I moved from place to place, forever avoiding the shadows.  The shadows varied in size and shape from a horse to a bug to a human, but worst of all, and ulger.  An ulger is an ugly, stunted beast that has the build of a stunted,
Every time the is are several returns like this It has changed writers. The first one is Sara
deformed person.  Ulgers were the beasts that worked for the shadows and did all the grunt work.  Ulgers have yellowed fangs, green eyes, talons like an eagle instead of hands, and hooves instead of feet.  They could run, swim, climb, and unfortunately, fly.  They have wings like a bat, but shaggy and covered in fur.  The fur colors range from red to cream to brown to black, and many more.  The could also be multicolored.  Ulgers could change their shape, but their main shape is the one described.  As I walked across the precarious road, Chestnut whinnied in surprise and fear as she looked behind her.  Ulgers.  Coming fast.

This, being a problem that all nomads faced, was not as bad a problem as it seemed. One ulger, no big deal. But speed was a good plus. I ditched the sled I was dragging and untied the knot at Chestnut's side, all of our equipment falling to the ground. I threw my leg over her massive body and and snapped the reins. The race was on. 

The lead ulger, a huge, husky fellow, bellowed to the others and they turned into a pack of howling wolves.  The lead ulger was a white wolf with black paws, the others all pitch black.  As the ulgers started gaining, I whispered to Chestnut: "Now."
Chestnut, Pegasus as she was, spread he feathered wings and took flight.  Unfortunately, the ulgers followed suit.  They turned into a flock of shrieking, shaggy griffins.  Griffins, being the natural enemies of horses of all kinds, were gaining quickly.  I snapped the rains and Chestnut sped up.  AS the griffen-ulgers drew closer, I could feel their hot breath on my back.  The leader slashed out, hooking chestnut's flank with his hook-like claws and hanging on.  Another ulger managed to clamp its scaly talons onto Chestnut's side.  We were slowed down as more ulgers piled on.  We came to a dead standstill in the air just as the rest of the ulgers piled on.

All I could see were feathers. Dozens of Ulgers clamping themselves onto Chestnuts body. I heard a whinnied cry has an ulger tore a piece of her flesh. So much for not an issue. I dodged the hundreds of talons, not wanting to become prey of the acid poison. I reached for the one weapon that could possibly save me now. I grabbed the shiny hilt of my dagger, and threw it at the massive ulger that seemed to be the leader. It hit it's target, and embedded itself in the ulgers heart. It fell rapidly to the ground and left a gap in the swarm of ulger griffins. I urged Chestnut, injured as she was, to fly to out of the flock and find shelter.

As we landed on a ledge on the bare cliff face, I checked myself for weapons.  All I had remaining was my bow and a quiver with a few arrows.  I also had my pack.  In this pack, I had rope, arrows, and the last remaining of my meat, and a few other choice possessions, such as a strange potion sold to me by the dealer in the black market for a few galleons.  All's fair in love and war in the DRW, after all!  I bandaged chestnut's wing and flank, and still had a few leftover strips of cloth for my leg.  I decided to stay here with Chestnut for the night and wait out the evil urgals.

Up in the sky, the urgles were just circling. Looking for us in the deep forest that they thought that we had dived into. I didn't dare make a fire, knowing that the urgles would see it and come attack us again. I bandaged my leg and leaned up against Chestnut, who had folded her wings back and lay down. I kept a constant watch on the Urgles, but this did provide me a little time to think. Pulling the orange crystal out of my pack, I wondered. Why had I found this in the middle of the Hungral forest? What powers did it possess. Who did it belong to previously? Gazing at the fist sized stone in my hand, it's hypnotic glow, it pulled me into a sleep. A deep sleep.

I was falling.  Falling, with the urgal-griffins chasing me.  I pondered as I screamed:  Which on would come first?  The urgals or the sharp rocks?
   I woke up from a terrible nightmare just to get stuck in another one.  Standing before me was Chestnut, offering her broad sides to the urgals to shield me from harm.  She looked like she had walked through a food processor, but the urgals were still lashing out with talons and beaks. I screamed for Chestnut to move, but she just looked at me through mournful eyes.  She would never move an d allow the urgals to get at me.  After a few hopeless minutes, Chestnut fell to her knees, and then to her sides.  She was dead.  I was filled with a new feeling as the ulgers scrambled over her.  I grabbed my rope and twisted it into a lasso.  I whipped at the ulgers.  I managed to hook one around the neck.  It was a good sized beast, golden-tan, and it had FEATHERS.  That meant that it wasn't an ulger!  It fought free from me, but it still had the lasso around its neck.  It got in front of me, and spread its golden wings, shielding me.  I heard metallic pings and noticed that the griffin was twirling and pouncing, killing all of the ulgers before they got to me.  When the battle was over, it looked at me with fire in its eyes and a bloodied beak.  The creature stole my gem and smashed it against the cliff.  Sparkling shards fell on Chestnut.  I watched in wonder as they began to glow white hot and burned into her.  Hr wounds began to come together and heal!  After the process, Chestnut got up an shaky legs.  The griffin gave me the shards, shrieked, and flew off to scavenge the spoils of dead ulger.

I replayed what had just happened in my head. My Pegasus was dead, then a griffin came, killed all of the ulgers, smashed my crystal, and Chestnut was alive. That made about as much sense as a squinkett being nice to a snake, NONE. I looked down at the crystal shards in my hands. The dust of the demolished crystal had healed chestnut.I tried an experiment. I pressed one of the shards to the deep cut in my leg. The second they made contact, sparks flew out of the shard and the injury healed. I had a healing crystal! I counted the last shards, five. I had five chances to heal mortal injuries. Chestnut and I were ready to go. I climbed onto her cream colored back and flew toward the near town of Izenflow.

As a perfectly healthy Chestnut flew on, I pondered what was going on.  I had been helped by a griffin, a usually solitary and horse-hating beast.  It had showed me the power of the gem, and saved me from a bloody demise of urgals.  After it had saved me, it flew off to scavenge the spoils.  I was very confused.  As the light peppered skyline of Izenflow came into view, I wondered about griffins.  I had killed many, but maybe now I thought about them differently.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

This book has 12 comments. Post your own now!

Epiclyawesome said...
Thank you for pointing that out!

EllieSwims said...
this was good- just one thing. the "ulgars" became urgals, then urgels. the name wasn't very consistent.

FyndFyre replied...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 8:26 am
Thanks for the comment...I knew I made a mistake somewhere...

FyndFyre said...
May 7, 2012 at 8:56 am
Hey, Epiclyawesome, do you like my avatar?

FyndFyre said...

Hey, Siri:

This book is great!  BTW, do you recognize my pseudonym?

Epiclyawesome replied...
Yes, and I think that others will to. ATTENTION EVERYONE ELSE! This is the co-author to this book. Just so you know......

FyndFyre replied...
May 7, 2012 at 8:55 am
So that's ur codename, huh?  Epiclyawesome?  That is totally you.  And, this is the co-authour.  Epiclyawesome is the author.

Keilazia replied...
You have a great talent.  I will recommend you!

FyndFyre replied...
thank you! :)

Epiclyawesome replied...
Ya, thanks!

AlexEvansTM replied...
Aug. 25, 2012 at 8:13 am
Definatly a fun book.

Lauren Reinecke said...
May 6, 2012 at 10:54 am
Wow!! Guys that was amazing! Keep writing 'cause that was terrific! :D