The GEP | Teen Ink

The GEP

By ConanHuynh, Dallas, Texas
ConanHuynh, Dallas, Texas

"Don't stop writing, just list your ideas on paper. Keep writing and writing and writing until you've finished. Proofreading comes later."

Author's note: I am rewriting my previous book because I have no idea how to edit chapters. As for the part that inspired me to write this, it was out of boredom. I remember vividly, on that one lazy summer day. Actually, it was the entire summer. I had nothing to do. So I decided to write this book. I wrote a page for fun. That page became pages. The pages became a chapter. And now, it's becoming a book.

I always expected people to betray me. Humans are really stupid and predictable. There is no one to trust. Don’t even think about asking for help because there is no one for you to call. Now, hand over that prized power of yours, and I’ll let you live.

Understood?

I have heard of the amazing stories of how regular people become one of the most legendary people of all time, but I never expected that one of those people would be me. I’m pretty much a normal guy, sort of. Being only seventeen, it is hard to believe that I’ve been taking care of myself for ten years now. I do not know anything of my mom and dad. In fact, I do not even know who they are. For as long as I can remember, I have lived on the streets. At times, I struggled to just survive. Frequent storms rampaged, innocent lives were slaughtered, and sewers and garbage cans reeked daily. Each day was merely a challenge to make it through the next day. I endured much to make it this far, but that’s a story for another time.
Right now, I’m in my “house.” Even though I have lived here for ten years, I still refer to it as a house. Calling this place home would not feel right. There is a huge distinction between a house and a home. A house is just the physical location of a place that satisfies the basic needs of a human being such as food, water, and shelter. A home is the place in the heart where all the memories are created. So, this place is my house. There is nothing fancy about it. A few cardboard boxes, some water bottles, a couple of stolen sandwiches, and several stacks of newspaper might be below standard, but, hey, at least it’s comfortable. Living in the streets is super boring now. The same old scenario happens over and over again. I wish there was some sort of adventure just waiting to pop out.
Since I am running out of food, it is time to steal more at Walmart. As I enter the building, I begin to plan the foods I will soon take. I take my first steps into the fruit section when I hear, “BAM! BAM! BAM!” What is that? An explosion? Falling shelves? More burglars? It turns out that I’m not crazy because other people are on the ground freaking out. I want to find out what happened, so I creep slowly to the source. When I catch sight of the origin of the noises, I cannot believe my eyes. A group of twelve people, all dressed in evil black and intense red, are the ones who caused the noises. Man, just their appearance makes my skin crawl. Frozen in utter terror, I watch as the black and red are in control of the situation now. No one even dares to move because of their terrifying aura. In order to not fall victim and remain unseen, I stay completely still because my life may be on the line. A brave man makes a desperate attempt to flee through the exit, but little does he know that this will become his final move. One of the black and red notices the man’s futile effort and decides to prevent his pathetic escape. Out of nowhere, the black and red man takes a ten foot long sword and hurls it at the unfortunate victim. The weapons astonishingly split in two, both parts heading straight for vital spots of his anatomy. With a traumatizing scream, the man is thrust forward as one part of the sword penetrates his skull, perfectly slicing it in one move, and the other part of the sword enters his heart, piercing it with perfect, deadly accuracy. No one dared to move. No one even dared to breathe. It seemed like these twelve people were looking for something, because they were searching all over the place. After they seemed to be finished, the man who killed the innocent one made an announcement.
“The time has come, mortal humans. My name, for all you imbeciles, is Fritz Applewhaite. Remember the name clearly, or else you’ll end up like that dead man over there, got it?”
I tried to keep in mind that ridiculous name, but I couldn’t. All I could make out was that part in his last name. Darn it, what was it again…Banana? Orange? Pineapple? No, it was Apple! Apple…um…something! I really wanted an apple too. Sigh, oh well.
As he continued, “We are known as SODA, the Secret Organization of Deadly Assault. We will be taking some of you measly insects as our test experiments. Trying to escape will only result in a slow, painful death to which I see fit. Now…which idiots here will we take...”
As that Mr. Freak Show Mr. Fritz Apple was picking up several people, I pray to myself that I would just stay here. Please don’t pick me, please don’t pick me, please don’t pick me. Of course, with all my luck, Mr. Apple decided to take me along. A group of twenty people, including myself, were selected.
As Fritz finishes his preparations, he concludes with, “Now, those of you who were luckily chosen by me, come outside right away.”
Before I left Walmart, I ask him, “Um…Mr. Fritz? Before we leave and all, could I grab some apples? Your name reminded me of it, and I’m sort of hungry.”
He just rolls his eyes. “Fine, go get your stupid apples. And make it quick! You’re lucky that I’m in a good mood, or I would’ve taken your head gladly. Now, hurry up”!
I think to myself, “Geez, you call that not in a “bad mood”? I’d love to see when you are in one.” Sheesh. As I collect several apples in order to avoid a chopped up head, I dash outside the exit. Now, the next few moments would change my life forever. The other people didn’t exactly die, but it did look like they were knocked out by those black and red guys. And I was the only one left. Uh-oh. Before I even had the chance to do anything, Fritz teleports right in front of me by his magic powers. He knocks the wind right out of my body, and I am out like a night light. There was nothing I could do. Well, there was nothing I could do. And before I actually passed out, I heard those S.O.D.A. guys mumble about something. One word manages to slip into my ear. “Kidnapped.”

Black becomes the only color that registers into my eyes. I couldn’t open them as if they were trapped shut. I had this happen to me several times before. When it was time to wake up, my eyes wouldn’t open. I wanted them to open, but I just couldn’t. It was as if my body became useless. All hope was lost. I simply died once again. However, someone proved me wrong because water shoots up through my nose. Apparently, someone splashed water to wake me up. So was I dreaming? As I finished coughing and began to calm down, there exists a new change of scenery. I was trapped in some sort of prison with three other people. The others were in different prison cells. Five cells with four people each. Great. I finally see the man who doused me with water.

“Um…h-he-hello, e-ev-everyone. I-I’m C-Cre-Crescent La-Lawch-Lawchosky, “as he continues stuttering, “I was ordered to wake everyone up. I am sorry if you are mad. Please, do not be. I am sorry.”

What was up with this guy? He acts practically the opposite of Fritz. Fritz is so mean and demanding, a little rude too. This guy, Crescent Moon or something, shows zero self-confidence. He’s unsure of everything and likes to say “sorry” a lot. Man, what is up with SODA and their weird names. The reason why I think he’s from SODA is because of his black and red clothing. And he does look familiar from that time at Walmart. One of the other people from another cell begins to complain.

“So when are we going to get out of here?! I would love to go back home!

Crescent replies with “Um, I am sorry. I do not know the answer to your question. My task that I have been assigned was to monitor everyone in here. Please forgive me. There is nothing I can do. I am sorry.”

I am already tired of this guy. Just shut up already. Please. I suddenly realize something. My apples! Where did they go? I had them with me a second ago…unless those guys took it.

I ask politely, “Mr. Crescent, sir? Do you by any chance still have my apples?”

It takes him a few moments to recognize the situation. “Um…oh! I am sorry. When everyone was not really moving at all back at that place of Walmart,” meaning when everyone was unconscious, “Fritz handed those apples to me. Some of my kind decided to eat some, and I did the same. I also call them my brothers because they take care of me. There are only four apples left in this bag. Would you still like the rest? I am sorry.”

I am pretty much done with his obnoxious behavior, so I just simply nod for Crescent to hand me back my apples. These are my apples! No one should have even touched them! At this point, I am too depressed to even care anymore. Why did Fritz have to choose me? I never wanted this to happen. Well, I did say I wanted an adventure, but this is not what I had in store. I just wanted to steal some food and return on with my miserable life. I don’t even know where I am anymore.

I notice the people who were with me in the prison looking at me. I just assume they, too, want my freaking apples because the words “give me an apple” was written all over their face.

“What? You guys want my apples too?” As they nod and I didn’t really care anymore, I give each person an apple. “Well, all right, here you go. Bet you that you’re glad I’m around, huh?”

I mean to say that as a joke, but apparently they did not find that to be funny at all, not a single laugh. They just simply munch and munch and munch on my apples that I generously gave them. When they were finished, however, each of them nods as to give thanks. Now, I become content. However, I am not content due to the fact that I only have one apple left. Oh, well. Better than nothing, I suppose. Just then, I hear an enormous crash. Were we being under attack? What was going on? Crescent assures us that everything is fine and that no one needed to panic.

“Stay calm, my butt!” one of the people yell. “Let me out of here, so I can figure out what in the world is going in!” But Crescent repeatedly told him there was nothing to worry about. As this meaningless conversation lasted for one million hours, those crashes started to become more frequent and much louder. Yep, everything is going fine.

“Train,” speaks one of my teammates. Well, I guess they’re my teammates now because we were in the same prison. Don’t judge me.

“Huh?” I reply in a confused voice.

She repeats the same word. “Train.”

“What about a train?” I question.

“We…on…train.” She repeats.

“Uh, how do you know that? You have some powers or something?”

“Apple…power…me…I know…we on…train…apple give…power.”

Okaaaaaaaaaay. Apparently my apple gave my teammate some sort of special power to know where we were. I wonder if my other apples gave the other two some sort of power. But before I could even ask, Mr. Crescent and that other man’s conversation gradually transforms into a full-fledged battle. They are basically screaming at each other. I never realize Mr. Moon could be so hostile. Crescent soon becomes tired of the nonsense and decides to close his eyes. He put his hands on his head and hums.

The man rants, “Oh what are you doing now, ignoring m-. Wh-what are you doing?! My body feels like it’s on fire! Oh my go - stop! Please stop! My bo-”

Before he could finish, one by one, his body parts explodes into a million pieces. As the bits and pieces fly everywhere to smithereens, I could hear noises of body parts landing on the wall, gushing out the gore and blood. One millions hours for one million body parts. Just when the worst was over, everything in that jail lights on fire. The other three, igniting to their deaths, make a desperate attempt to find an escape. There isn't any. Seconds, minutes, hours of bloody-filled screams, and there is nothing we could do. Even though everyone watches as the poor three lives burn to their demises, I think to myself how amazingly beautiful the flames flicker. How could something so dangerous be so breathtaking? The last bit of flares finally extinguishes, and all that remains is the smell of sizzling smoke and the sight of charred skeletons. Crescent snaps back to his old self.

“Oops…did I do that? Um, I did not mean to. Really, I did not. It was…an accident. I am sorry. Please, do not be mad at me…I am sorry.”

Then, he starts to cry. Great, another one of those freak shows. But no one had the guts to say anything, because I doubt anyone wants to turn into the next barbeque meal. So now, we needed a plan of action, a POA I might say. I even forget about the crashes that now apparently developed to the size of earthquakes. I just keep thinking and thinking of a way out, forming a POA in my mind.
So, I ask one of my other teammates, “Well, what’s your power, if you have any?”
He takes several moments to comprehend my words and slaps his hands together. Nothing happens, literally. I look around, and no one is moving. Looks like this guy could control time itself. “Nice,” I tell him. He smiles and nod, and I turn to a little boy.

“And you?” I ask. Before he could respond, a robotic voice interrupts the conversation overhead.
“The train is going to explode in ten seconds due to a mountain blocking the path. Ten…nine…eight…”
As the stupid machine counts down, everyone starts to freak out except for my team, who looks relatively calm. Why weren’t they freaking out?! My teammate who knows where we are with her powers points down and says “hole.”
“Four…three…two…” as the machine continues.
Without thinking, I grab the other three and jump out into our only hope. No chance of turning back now. The good thing is that we manage to escape the explosion by the slightest hair. The bad news is that, now, we are falling over hundreds and hundreds of feet in the sky. Of course, the mountain! It is only afterward that we weren’t obviously on ground level. Curse that stupid idiot robot machine for not telling us until the last minute. And the next, as well as the last, thing I know is that the four of us are going to plummet onto the ground, at a very high speed, in only a matter of prized, precious minutes.

The feeling of free-falling at eighty miles per hour becomes an intense, incredible feeling. It was like being on the highest point on a roller coaster, where eyes look down that high. Now, magnitude that feeling one-hundred times. That’s how I’m feeling right now, only I’m diving to my inevitable death. With more expected surprises along the way, my teammate who could control time slaps his hands together. Everything is now in slow motion…except for the four of us. What I meant was that we could still move at a normal speed, it’s just we weren’t falling quite so fast. Looks like everyone here managed to survive from death for the second time in a row now. As we descended closer to what I hope is solid ground, the atmosphere gradually changes to colder weather. Snow. Wait, what? Did I say snow? I really hope I don’t freeze to death in…wherever we land on. At last, we finally drop on the sweet, sweet ground. Man, I never thought I would miss the ground so much. And all of us survived! What a relief that was. As usual, I check my surroundings. This place looks like we reached some type of city. The only question is…which one? Then I notice the people. Hordes and hordes of human beings conquer practically every sidewalk. Big, flashy signs illuminate across buildings, and that’s where I find my answer. Bold colors of yellow, red, and purple beams “NEW YORK CITY: HOME TO THE LIFE OF THE EXCITEMENT” nearly give my eyes a good seizure, because that sign rapidly flashed words to the point where my body starts to faint. Glad to know where our location was before I passed out…again. I just hope I would still be alive when I wake up. That is, if I ever will.

So, I wake up, and turns out I am sleeping on a couch. My three teammates watch over me. Location Guy begins off with “hotel.” Better than being frozen to death out in that freezing weather. It takes me a while to figure out which part of the hotel we were in. After my drowsiness fades away, I made the guess that we were in the lobby. I got back on my feet and head straight to the exit as the others followed. It was so strange what happened earlier because I do not pass out from flashy signs. I never do. Anyways, I have no idea where we were going. Maybe picking up some supplies or something? I don’t know. While we head for some place, any place, no one is talking. Well, in my group, that is. The other hundreds of people in New York chatter among themselves. So I made the attempt to begin one with my fellow teammates, because I didn’t want to keep hearing snow fall to the ground. Oh yeah…I forgot there is snow.

“So…” I begin, “What are your names? Y’all got one, right?”

The three look at each other nervously. All of them nod in agreement as if they just had a telepathic conversation. Location Guy started first.

“Name’s Phillips, Pamela Phillips. A lot of people call me Pam, even though I tell them it's Pamela.” She scoffed. “Idiotic humans. However, there’s one nickname I’m quite fond of and enjoy – Pamantha. So you can either call me Pamela or Pamantha. Call me Pam, and I’ll beat you to a pulp, ‘kay kid?”

I could honestly say that my head just moves up and down. I think to myself, “Gee, what a nice guy…well, girl.” Her short height, blond hair, and blue eyes made her look so innocent, but I already knew she resembles a warrior, a fighter, a crusader, a hero. Huh, would you look at that. Looks like we got ourselves a strong-willed female character. Nice.
Time Guy then took the stage. “Hmm, let’s see, what should I say…well, for starters, I’m called Slantel Biserick. Don’t you just love my name? It’s so cool! Anyways, I’m pretty much a laid-back guy. I don’t really like to do anything. Well, you see, I do, I just don’t like to do work. Eh, not really my style. What else…oh yeah, I like to eat. Food’s good for the stomach. You, uh, by any chance got any?”
Well, don’t we have a cool guy here? I can already tell that he’s pretty much unmotivated. Well, you can bait him with food, but that pretty much is it. Tall, brown hair, and green eyes. Not a bad combination. He’s pretty lazy, but he’s pretty cool.
Last but not least, there is the fourth member, a mere kid. I know nothing about him. I didn’t even get to see his power. I wait for a response, but silence fills the chilly winds.
“Well, are you going to introduce yourself?” I asked.
“Oh, I forgot to tell you, she’s a mute”, Pam explains. Oops, Pamela. “Her other senses still work, just not her voice.
“Oh,” I mumble. Wait, “she?” Did Pamela just say “she?” This guy is actually a girl?! Wow, what a tomboy. With her kid-sized short height, red hair, and mysterious yellow eyes, she’s a bit timid. Even though with snow falling, this kid is shivering, as if she is scared.
“Do any of you know her name?” I ask.
“Melissa Shrizletboard,” the both of reply simultaneously.
“Um, how do you know that?”
“Well, we’re family.” Pamela announces. “I, of course, am the oldest. My younger brother, Slantel, is the next, and Melissa’s the youngest one of all.”
That’s really cool, I say to myself. At least they’re all related to each other. All three siblings managed to stay together back in the prison cell. Talk about lucky.
“Oh!” I suddenly remember. “Melissa ate the apple, right? I know she can’t talk, but do any of you know what's her new power?”
Slantel hums, “Hmm…I’ll ask.” Before I could even ask how, he answers with “ultimate seeing.”
“Uh, Slantel, how do you know that…another one of your powers?” I question.
“Well, yeah,” he replies. “We each got our own powers, remember? Sis got exact location, I got time control, and other sis got ultimate seeing. Mel told me that she can see through buildings, walls, objects, and stuff like that. She also said she can see really, really far. Like, really far. Like, really. Oh yeah, and as an added bonus, the three of us can communicate with our minds. Yup, telepathy. It’s sorta, uh, our family…trait? I guess you can call it that. And our other powers we got…must’ve been your apples? But seriously, don’t you think our telepathy skills are super awesome? You know want it, I know you do!”
As my jaw opens in awe, mind totally confused, Slantel keeps bragging and laughing away, as Pamela sigh with arms crossed, rolling her eyes crossed, and a little Melissa smiling at the whole thing. As we were walking around the town, I completely forgot what we were doing. Since the weather was really starting to feel colder, we need a place to head for the night.
“Come on guys.” I said. “Let’s grab something to eat. After that, we’ll get some supplies at a store, and we need to find a place to sleep.”
“Oo, oo, oo!” Slantel sputters, “Let me choose, please, please, please!”
Before I could even say anything, he leads the way. Sheesh, talk about impatient.
“Is your brother always like this?” I ask.
“Yep, always,” Pamela sighs.
When Slantel finds a place, we end up at McDonalds. The fast food place was relatively packed. When it was our turn to order, Slantel was first, obviously.
“Three Big Macs, four large fries, two large Cokes, and six apple pies, please! Oh, and a McFlurry on the house!” Man, could he eat. I wonder how he manages to stay skinny.
Pamela was next. “Oh, just a salad with water, that’s all.
I guess it was my turn. “Um, twelve chicken nuggets, medium fries, and a medium Dr. Pepper?”
Since Melissa couldn’t speak, Pamela orders for her place. “The kid wants a Happy Meal with one of those toy cars and chocolate milk. And we’re done.”
After our cashier finishes our order, the price totals to $36.76. Uh-oh. The idea never occurs to me that I do not have any money! How did I get my apples then? Oh, that’s right. I stole them. Never mind. Anyways, how were we going to pay for this?”
“I already paid you.” Pamela said to the cashier.
“Um, no you didn’t, you haven’t pa-.” The cashier was in some sort of trance, and Pam snaps her fingers. “Oh…yes you did. Sorry about that. Thank you for choosing McDonalds, and your order will be here shortly.”
As I ponder how she did that, Pamela just simply smiles.
“Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Not only am I able to know where we are precisely, I can also manipulate others at my will. Cruel, yes, I know but it does suit my tastes.”
We find a few available seats and begin eating. Everyone is eating normally…except for Slantel. He eats like a non-stopping machine. The food practically vacuums inside his mouth. Pamela smacks him on the head.
“Wow, what do you think you’re doing. You do realize we’re in a public place, right?”
Slantel didn’t reply, but he did eat slower. Man, this girl has some superiority.
“And what about you?” Pam inquired.
“Me?” I asked. “Um, I am eating normally…I think? Do you want me to eat slower?”
“No, you idiot!” she indicated. “Tell us about you! We gave our introductions. Don’t you think you should do the same?”
“Oh! Sorry,” I apologized. “I’m William Huynh. Don’t call me Will, or I’ll kick your butt. Um, you know my appearance already. Average height, black hair, and brown eyes. I don’t have a family power like y’all do. Dang, I still haven’t eaten my apple yet. Oh well. I don’t think I need it right now, but I’m keeping it just in case. And…I guess that’s it.” No one is really paying any attention because they were finishing up their meal. Slantel is somehow on his last item, the dessert, and somehow, the McFlurry ends up everywhere on him. His shirt, his pants, even his hair.
“Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww,” Slantel expressed. Pamela takes some napkins and did her best to clean him up. I just look at his messy appearance. I can’t stand anything sticky anywhere on my skin. Soda, candy, sweets, nothing of the sort. Since we were pretty much done eating, I ask for a refill before heading out.
“All right, satisfied stomachs and a bird’s nest in a hair, check.” I said.
Everyone giggles except for Slantel. He only grunts.
“Next is,” as I search the nearest store, “Walmart! But let’s hurry on this one. I don’t want to experience the same thing like last time.”
As we adventure through the store, I ask, “So…what exactly are we buying?”
“Let’s buy some essential things. Melissa says she wants to sleep in a hotel tonight, so stuff like shampoo, toothbrushes, and cereal.
“And I call the shower first!” Slantel adds. “I need to wash my hair now. Let’s make this quick.”
As everyone laughs at his remark, I think of a neat idea. “Well, since we’re in a hurry, why don’t we split up then?”
“I call picking out the toothbrushes!” Slantel replies as he dashes to the dental aisle.
“Mel and I will get some cleaning supplies. You know, soap, shampoo, all that jazz. Why don’t you buy some cereal and some extra food? We’ll meet back here, okay?”
As everyone parts their separate ways, I decide to choose cereal first. I learn in some life management class back in school that you choose cold foods last. I collect what everyone needs as well as what I want. When everyone returned, we start to check out. I was going to ask how Slantel manages to find our meeting spot, but I just remember that they could communicate with each other in their minds. As our items were checked out, everyone decided to grab a little bit more than what we originally planned. Slantel got the gathered toothbrushes, some toys, and a pack of chewing gum. The ladies picked out the shampoo and soap, bubbles for showering, lipstick, and a bunch of other women-like items. I collected Lucky Charms, milk, a loaf of bread, cheese, ham, and four different flavors of ice cream. As Pamela did her magic and collected our items, there is still a question to answer.
“Well, Mel wants a hotel, but which one?” Pamela asked.
“Why not the one we were in when I fainted? Seems like a nice place.” I point out.
Everyone agrees, and we begin walking back to the hotel we were in earlier in the day. We request only one room for convenience. Plus, I was going to sleep right here on the floor any minute. As the receptionist offers our key, we head inside the elevator and search for Room 4001. As we found our room and open the door, Slantel rushes to the bathroom. Guess he wasn’t kidding when he said he was going to use it first. We put the items on a table, and I crash on the couch. Pamela turns on the television to watch some weather forecast, and Melissa just stares outside. At least everyone, I hope, is relaxing now. Boy, were we in for a surprise.
As Slantel just finished coming out of the bathroom, the air suddenly feels a lot hotter. A black and red colored gas spews from the vent. Was it poison? I don’t think so. No one is coughing. Everyone appears to be fine. But, as expected, I spoke too soon. When this gas came in contact with us, it looks like everyone passed out. And, in every situation like this, I just so happen to be the last person. As I saw Pamela, Slantel, and Melissa knock out on the ground, it was my turn as well. It’s kind of ironic when I think about it. I was resting my eyes, only to be awakened by a gas that knocks me right back to sleep. Huh.
And the next thing I know is that I wake up. I wake up tied to a chair. I wake up from a sound. I wasn’t in my hotel room. This place didn’t come close looking like a hotel at all. I can tell you right now, the sound I heard was not pleasant. My stomach wants to throw up for me. The smell is horrendous as well. Dead carcasses of human bodies litter the room. Every area of the floor splatters enormous amounts of blood, probably from those bodies. I could hear their blood dripping on the floor as their heads were pieced by sharp hooks. And the sound I heard was a woman screaming for her dear life as her body was being chopped up by what sounds like a chainsaw. After her death-filled shrieks ends, as well as her life. I could hear footsteps walking closer and closer to my direction. My heart was racing, my mind was spinning, my sweat was trickling down on my face. The chainsaw starts again, so I assume there is a person using it.

The footsteps arrive closer and the chainsaw approaches louder. The footsteps arrive closer and the chainsaw approaches louder.

Warning: this chapter contains graphic details including severed body parts. Read at your own risk.

I don’t like this. I don’t like this at all. With every second passing along the way, the chainsaw man takes one step at a time slowly in my direction. My arms and legs are tied with some type of rope to the chair, and I finally manage to see his appearance. With the black and red clothing, it was safe to assume I meet my third SODA member. His nature is, indeed, quite disturbing. The millions of scars all over on his body just go to show the countless lives this guy slaughtered. His clothes, even though colored red, soaks blood to the last inch. Even the stains drip on the ground. His hair was tied into a ball-like structure. And you know those people that use chopsticks or something to hold their hair together? Well, this guy uses a knife. And his eyes? I couldn’t even describe the rest. I just couldn’t. While pressure decides to overcome me, I almost scream for help until a guy beats me to it. Being tied to this chair, I had limited movement abilities, meaning there was no way I could turn back to see what was happening.
“Now, now, worry shall you not. There is no need for any screaming.”

Oh man, his voice. Why did it sound so nice, so relaxing, so soothing? He’s a freaking serial killer, and he can do that?! I kid you not, my sanity meter left me here by myself to deal with this psycho lunatic.
“Before I kill you, I should probably introduce myself,” he continues. “My name is Max Thumper. I am a professional doctor, so I know what I am doing. If you have any questions before your death, please feel free to ask.”
Nothing but the smell of dead bodies filled the air with that horrible smell. After a few moments, Max concluded with “Well, if there are no questions to be answered, then I shall give you a moment until it is time.” With the valuable time remaining, I need a plan to escape this place and fast. Trust me, I did not want to be the next person in line for that chainsaw. I don’t think anyone would! Well…maybe except for Max.
“All right,” he grins at last, “your time is up.”
And with that, the next few moments would never be the same again. Somehow, I manage to locate a mirror that allows me to examine everything in the back, but I did not want see anything. Max starts up the chainsaw and begins with the man’s left leg. Pieces of guts fly everywhere, and blood splatters all over the place, including on the back of my shirt. The blood fell like rain falling from the sky. Feeling the red warm, gooey material contact my skin just gives me sheer twitches. His screaming to no end didn’t help either. Mr. Thumper only sighs, as if he did this all the time, which is probably true.
“I do not understand why they always scream when I am enjoying my work. You see these marks? I inflicted these scars by myself because it feels nice. What do you humans call it…pain? Oh, that’s right. Pain. Pain is an enjoyable experience. Pain rather gives unhealthy cravings for more and more. Oh, and I like humming. Humming is fun. Humming and pain at the same time are quite rewarding. So, as you can tell -”
Max Thumper never finished his sentence. The one-legged person, probably out of sheer rage, somehow snatched the chainsaw out of Max’s hands. With another intense scream, the chainsaw pierces Mr. Thumper’s head completely. At first, nothing happens, just more agonizing noises from the man. Soon afterward, a red mark starts to form around Max's neck, and blood starts oozing out as it shoot out through several places. Then his head slowly tears. A red line form three hundred and sixty degrees around the neck, and finally, the head becomes severed to Max’s body. A popping noise was heard. Max’s body falls to the floor. Leaving a trail of blood, the head rolls over my direction. It just so happens that the head stops right in front of me. Even though his eyes remain closed, I could have sworn they were looking straight at me. And if that wasn’t creepy enough, Max casually formed a playful smile on his face. Oh, this was only the beginning. The worst was not even over. Max’s body stands up by itself. The body, spurting out even more and more blood, aims straight for its head. The arms reattach the head back to owner. Blood now secedes, and Max Thumper is as good as new. Great, a SODA member who can’t die.
“Ouch, that hurt,” Max replies. “Looks like someone wants to play! I’ll tell you what. Since you decided to kill me, you gain the pleasure of experiencing the same thing! I believe in 'an eye for an eye.' Oh, this will be so much fun, will it not? And since I am quite the nice doctor, if I do say so myself, I am going to give you something that will knock you out. Since pain is experienced negatively for you, this should be a nice thing. Okay, let’s finish this.”

In one of Max’s pockets holds a sealed test tube with some type of chemical. As he opens the top of the tube, a gas is released. Thankfully, this chemical did not flow in my direction. I’m guessing that the other guy smelled this strange substance because as he inhales it deeply, he passes out. Once again, the chainsaw starts up and begins its torture. Thumper saws the other leg three-fourths the way off while humming, combining two of his favorite hobbies together. There is a reason why the leg did not come completely off. Max places his chainsaw on the ground and pulls the limb in the slowest way possible to unleash as much blood squirting out. As the leg casually rips apart, I could hear bones cracking into so many pieces as well his muscles tearing, easily shredding like paper. Plenty of guts slide down, piling on the bloody floor. I already feel a sense of dizziness because of the excessive amount of blood just pouring out of the guy’s body. The arms are next. Max attaches the victim’s arms to hold some type of handle. As he pushes a button, the arms slash apart from the body. The arms head straight for the ceiling. At the top contains lawnmowers with powerful sharp blades at the base. As both arms reach the top, it hacks into a million pieces. While the body parts flew everywhere, so did red liquid, and bloody rain started to drizzle.
“Oh, what a nice surprise. Red rain,” Max acknowledges. He licks his lips
By this time, the victim is unidentifiable. He looks like chewed up food. No, not even that. A perfectly healthy man is now a pile of mush. Max picks up his chainsaw once again and slices the head in half, disemboweling down all the way to the original location of the legs. The head begins to open, and I could see a brain cut into two parts. It also shoots blood in all directions. The body then starts to tear, and both parts fall out of the chair. Max attaches each body part to a ring, penetrating the skin with clasps. Each clasp connects to a rope. Each rope connects to the ceiling. Max pushes the button, and the ropes shoot up. Remember what happened to his arms? Now, imagine that a hundred times bloodier and gory. With all this blood, I might as well end up taking a bath, a blood bath. As the lawnmowers stop, Max hums to himself. Taking out a clipboard from his coat, he mumbles, “Patient number two-hundred and ninety-nine, check. Checkup complete!” Max begins walking towards a different room until he notices me shivering. Oh gosh, I hope I don’t die.
As Mr. Thumper turns over to my direction, he simply states, “My, my, looks like we have a visitor. Where did you come from? Ah, never mind that. I will untie you, and you will come with me, yes?”
As Max undoes the ropes, I follow his instructions. If I attempt to escape, he’ll probably
ready that chainsaw to chop me into tiny pieces, and I didn’t want that. I enter the new room, and what I just experienced was nothing comparing to this one. Hundreds of people were screaming, crying out for their lives. Weapons like swords, flamethrowers, and grenades could be seen just about everywhere. Aside from all the gruesome events, I find Pamela, Slantel, and Melissa all unharmed! None of them see me however because they are probably unconscious. Guess I just woke up earlier. I know this is weird, especially at this time, but the bottom of my body starts to hurt. Then I realize that I was sitting on my apple this whole time, and I am surprised that I still have it this entire time. Anyways, there is some sort of line and I manage to be the second one in the front, following by my team. Max snaps his fingers, and some wheel appears while everyone in the room watches in dead silence.
“Ladies and gentlemen,” Max announces, “this here is my special Spinner Wheel. As you can see, the Wheel is divided into ten sections, and every section has a picture. When the Spinner Wheel turns and eventually stops, the picture that has been selected will show you how your death happens. For example, if the Wheel stops on this flame, you will be simply microwave to death. With this picture of a fish, you will be covered with raw meat and become eaten by hungry piranhas. And if the Wheel stops on this rubber band, you will stretch until you die. So that is how the Spinner Wheel works! Simple enough, yes, yes? And, since you are the first person in line, you get to spin the Wheel first!
We all observe in pure terror as the guy spins that torture device. Shortly afterward, his choice landed on words “HA HA HA!”
“Oh, you chose an interesting one!” Max explains. “With this one, some devices shall tickle you…until you die! Very well, if you would be so kind as to step down from here and come right this way. Oh, and if anyone does tries to escape…that person will be immediately executed.”
Max takes this unfortunate man into the old room. Everyone quiets down to hear everything in the other room. Sure enough, the man starts to laugh. And for a few moments, his laughter lingers on, and then…silence, dead silence. The lawnmowers start up again, and I already know what was going to happen next. I just simply close my eyes.
As Max comes back to our room, he tells us, “I treated three-hundred people! I did it! What a fantastic treat this is! Now, for the next person, considering whether or not you live on this spin, you might just get out of here alive. Go ahead and spin. If you die, well that is self-explanatory. If you survive, I will give you details for your escape.”
So, there’s a chance for survival, huh? A huge weight suddenly lifts off of my shoulders, knowing now that I could possibly live! I examine all the labels again – a flame, fish, laughter, lightning, rocks, a mouth, a pit, scissors, spikes, and a sad face. None of these choices look appealing at all. With one huge breath, I spin to what is going to either end or save my life. The wheel starts to slow down. The wheel starts to slow down even more. And then the wheel finally stops. I witness my fateful choice. Among the ten options chosen, the wheel winds up at…at the sad face. I look at Max’s own face, and his smile turns into the picture on the Spinner Wheel. Did I make it then? He lets out a rather depressing sigh.
“The frowning face is an indication for me. It is telling me to feel what you humans would call “sadness.” It looks like I will have to let you live now.” Carrying out another sigh, Max continues, “Such a shame. I was looking forward in giving you a checkup. Well, since you manage to survive, this is your reward. I am only doing this because I love the number three. See, I only let people go if three-hundred people have been examined and checked out. Now, choose three people here to escape with you.
I already know the three I am going to choose. With buckets of blood simply lying around, I spill the blood all over their clothes, causing them to wake up. Max hands each of us a bracelet to wear. After we assemble this bracelet to our wrists, it fastens onto our skin.
“Now, this will determine your escaping skills. Cover a distance of three miles away from this warehouse within three minutes, and the bracelets will crumble. If not…well, I hope you like turning into stone. The time will begin as soon as a foot is out of the exit. As for transportation, there is a vehicle outside. But hurry: that car is designated to explode after three minutes are up. Last but not least, head for the airport. Find Gateway Three and tell them 'Three lives within me.' With those bracelets on now, I can instantly end your lives at any time if plans do not go according to plan. Oh and one last thing. Good luck!”
And with that, Max is, again, preoccupied with his Spinner Wheel once more. I drag the four of us out of here as fast as I could, never, ever wanting to go here ever again. Just as we exit to the outside, heads are already flying out of what looks like a warehouse. I step out first, and our bracelets light up. All right, time to start.
“Nice work Slantel.” Pamela compliments.
“Hey, I try.” he replies back.
“Um, you guys want to explain what’s going on here?” I ask in a confused voice.
“Well, basically,” Slantel points out, “I just saved our butts. Remember that I control time? I made the Wheel stop on that sad face. And, phew, were you lucky. That face was actually the one that saved us. So yeah, no big deal.”
I am grateful and all. Really, I am, but we need to get out of here. Now. “Look Slantel, I’m extremely thankful that you saved all of our lives, but we to head to the airport fast. A minute already passed by, and I do not want to be turned into stone!”
Slantel counterattacks with “Dude, calm down. What did I just tell you? I can control time. Have you already forgotten? I can slow down this timer thingy for as long as we need to. Don’t worry.”
All I manage to say is “Slantel, you’re a genius.”
As he smiles, we walk towards the car. There is one problem though. I didn’t know how to drive. “So…anyone know how to start this thing?”
“I do!” Slantel says. “Pam and Mel can’t. Don’t know why, I guess they’re just scared.”
With that, Pamela gives him a good punch to the arm. Man, talk about sibling love. After a good hour to the airport, thanks to Slantel’s amazing power, we manage to arrive just in time. As all of us enter into one of the gateways, our bracelets crumble, and our car exploded, meaning we survived yet again! The security guards head over to investigate the suspicious source of the noises, so we need to find Gateway Three fast. Pamela uses her gifted powers to make people imagine all of our clothes are not submerged in blood, but I am pretty much grossed out. I request that it would be in our best interest to change into different clothes. As everyone agrees in approval, we head towards a clothing store. After switching into a nice fresh pair of clothes, we attempt to find our next destination.
“Mel, you’re a lifesaver!” Pam boasts. “Melissa just told me that Gateway Three is about fifty meters north of here. Isn’t this power of hers awesome?”
I just simply smile. “Yes,” I tell my mind. “Yes it is.”
We walk to our objective as I see familiar people traveling in the same direction. I keep thinking and thinking where or how I remember these faces from before, but nothing pops up in my head. The four of us finally arrive at the gateway, and we just so happen to be next in line.
“May I see your tickets?” the ticket agent requests. I totally forgot to buy tickets! I desperately looked over to Pamela, and she nods.
“We already showed you our tickets,” Pam replies.
We waited for a few moments, and the guy insists, “No, you did not hand me any tickets. The only way to enter this airplane is through a ticket. You do have one, right?”
I have a feeling we are running out of time. What were we going to do? Oh yeah! I suddenly remembered Max’s words. “You want tickets?” I ask. “We’ll, here you go. ‘Three lives within me'.”
Pamela, Slantel, and Melissa just looked at me if I lost my mind, but I only grin in return. Guess they were still a little hazy from the blood I spilled on them. I’m pretty sure they heard what Max told me. Anyways, this guy also shows a confused look on this face.
Then, he announces, “Right. Your seats are 40A, 40B, 40C, and 40D.”
We move into the airplane and find our seats. It is a miracle that we are sitting together. I finally know how I remember all these people. As I eavesdrop on someone’s conversation, I make out the words “Crescent…bloody deaths…fire…explosion.” I couldn’t help but join in.
“Excuse me,” I interrupt, “Would you have happened to be on that train with Crescent Lawchosky when it decided to explode?”
She gives me a weird look. “Um, yeah. How do you know that? Were you on that train?”
This is just too perfect. “Yes, as a matter of fact! I didn’t know there were any other survivors!”
“Everyone survived. I was talking to the other teams, and they all had fruits for their survival. My team had peaches, that team had kiwis, and their team had star fruits. What about yours? After I tell her we had apples, she responds with, “Oh cool, I’m guessing some guy threatened you to get to Gateway Three and onto this plane? Well, turns out we experienced the same situation. I only wonder where we’re going. Oh, it’s time to buckle up! Name’s Sarah, by the way. Nice talking to you, TA!”
“TA?” I question.
“Yeah, it’s short for Team Apple.”
Team Apple, huh? Well, that does have a nice ring to it. As I fasten my seat belt, I explain to my group what our name is. Pamela sighs as she shakes her head in disappointment, Slantel turns his head sideways in a confused manner, and Melissa just giggles. All right, Team Apple is ready for anything! Just as we adjust to our seats, the pilot speaks on the intercom.
“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Currently, it is 17:08 with a chilly fifty degrees. We have the perfect weather right now with no clouds, and the expected arrival time is nine hours and twenty-two minutes. Snacks and refreshments will be out shortly, and I hope everyone has a pleasant flight. Thank for choosing American Airlines for your trip to Russia.”

Okay, I don’t really know much about geography, but isn’t Russia, like, super cold? Let’s back track for a second here. How did we get to the airport? Max Thumper told us to. So, why would S.O.D.A. want us to travel to a place so…foreign? They must be up to something. I just only wonder what their plans could be. As I attempt to come up with a rational explanation, the intercom starts up.

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. This is your pilot speaking. If you look outside the window, you can see the Atlantic Ocean mixing in colors with the beautiful sunrise. I hope you enjoy viewing the scenery as much as you like swimming in it!” With maniacal laughs concluding the pilot’s speech, everyone frenzies into a panic.

Oxygen masks drop down, indicating something serious is going on. I took plenty of airplane trips to know this is bad, real bad. The video screen turns on, and some person with a hat is viewed. Since he is hysterically laughing to no end, this person is probably the psycho pilot. The camera zooms to the guy’s hand, and he presses a red button.

With that button pushed, everyone on the plane except for the pilot slips out of their seats. Everyone is falling out of a moving airplane. As most people scream as if they only have a few minutes to live, my team only sighs. I’ve experienced so many of these situations like these that they just feel natural. Sometimes, I even had a little fun.

To avoid a painful impact into the ocean, Slantel claps his hands together to slow down time. Unfortunately, I couldn’t speak for the other teams, as they head through the water face first. Ouch. Everything is in total chaos. People are yelling at the top of their lungs, wondering what in the world just happened. Some manage to stay calm, while others didn’t know how to swim. Among the hysteria, I decide to count everyone. There are a total of sixteen people, meaning all four teams survived. As the airplane cruises through a different direction, the cargo crashes in the water. Among the things dropped consists of sixteen underwater suits, eight flashlights, and four notes. I notice something odd. The suits smell nice, like the material is made of scented fruits. Then it hits me.

“Everyone!” I yell, “These suits are for every member on your team!”

“Oh yeah?! And how would you be able to know that!” one of the other teams reply.

“Just smell them. Since there are sixteen suits, divide them into four. Each group of suits has a unique aroma. Smell those over there? It smells like an apple, so these are ours.”

Everyone catches on and huddle to claim the fruit suits. Everyone is still confused about the rest of the remaining supplies. I explain what these items are for. Well, at least I hope I am.

“All right, look. Since there are eight flashlights, each team should receive two. There are four notes, so each team only gets one.”

Somebody already acts quickly. “Hey, I can’t read this note!”

“That’s weird, I can’t read this note either, but I’m able to read yours,” Sarah notices.

I wonder…did different notes contain different information for each team? Why? What is going to happen? We didn’t have to trade our note because ours is legible. As everyone begins reading their papers, the airplane explodes. Everyone watches as smoke covers the sky black, and the plane crashes down to the ocean, causing an enormous splash. I didn’t pay much attention to what just happened, because I didn’t really care. I just continued reading my note.

“Well, well. Looks like your escape skills helped overcome the challenge, and now, stage one is complete. I commend your team. Congratulations. Welcome to stage two. Let’s see how your survival skills work. At the back of this note is a button. Select one party member on your team as a representative. After four individuals have been chosen, all buttons must be pressed at the same time. This will start the time limit for twenty-four hours. Once everyone reaches below sea level, a thick sheet of ice will cover the surface, meaning that there is no escape above the surface. Now for the task. Your objective within these dangerous waters is to find the underground base. Don’t worry, it’s not that hard to locate. But it is difficult to enter. The only way in is through a key but not just any key. Since you can obviously read this note, that means no one else can. It’s the same with the keys. Team Star Fruit’s key is yellow, Team Kiwi’s key is green, Team Peach’s key is pink, and Team Apple’s key is red. These keys allow access to an entrance for the base…but not just any entrance. Each key will only unlock the entrance with the same color. For example, if there is a blue entrance, a blue key is required to unlock its entrance. To ensure measures that the correct entrance is opened by the correct key by the correct team, there is a code at the bottom of the note. Enter this code when the entrance is unlocked to officially enter the base. As for the flashlights, they will assist every team for the search of keys, as all keys are hidden carefully throughout the ocean. Oh, I almost forgot. You’re probably wondering when the oxygen tanks run out of air. There is a reason why the time limit is twenty-four hours. That’s when the supply of oxygen runs out. One day for searching is one day for air. Oh, did I mention the electric eels, dangerous sharks, ferocious piranhas, and hungry alligators here? Of course, this is just a mini sample. These creatures can be pretty violent when provoked. Oh, one last thing before we leave…have fun!” The bottom of the note shows G69T54L71Q38.

I look at everyone to make sure they are done reading, and each team already starts putting on their suits. We decide to do the same as Team Apple chooses me as its representative. After four people come together, we agree in unison as four buttons press down simultaneously. The four teams head down the unknown depths of the sea, and, just as the note said, the ice covers the entire surface. We only have twenty-four hours to do this, and I am freaking out already. Even though only a few minutes pass by, I feel we are short on time. I hate time limits. Not a moment too soon, I begin hyperventilating.

“Dude, calm down.” Slantel requests.

“Interesting, we can talk underwater.” Pamela notices. This is interesting indeed, how we can communicate under the sea.

“Slantel!” I demand. “Use your power to slow time down, so we can have a time limit over five thousand!” I know this is a little bit extreme, but I do not care. I’m not going down here in this place without a fight, literally. I am not going to just die and sink to the bottom of the ocean. No way. Not yet.

Slanted looks freaked out. Well, maybe not. I can't recognize his face because of the goggles and mask. He slaps his hands together, and we wait. I have no idea if Slantel’s power did the trick, so I ask Pamela to use her's.

“No can do. How odd…”

And then I turn to Melissa. She shakes her head in decline. Is there a possibility that we are in some type of force field that disabled our powers? Of course, the layer of ice! That would explain our situation. Slantel’s powers worked perfectly fine before we dived under the ocean. If we swim back to the top…we’ll just end up at a dead end. Never mind.

I couldn’t believe our situation. I’m not just going to sit, well, swim around the entire Atlantic Ocean looking for just a single key that might not even be the right one! As I continue to complain about this predicament, Pamela, Slantel, and Melissa already trail off without me. Pamela gives a “later, William” as she and the others drift farther and farther away. Jerks. Might as well do something about this. As I sigh in bitter defeat, I decide to catch up.

Even with everything turning out wrong, the sea is a breathtaking sight. Fish with shiny scales reflects majestic colors of radiant red, blissful blue, and playful purple as a school of rainbow fish move freely in zigzags. Gazing up to the sun, I could see its rays rippling through the waves, creating some amazing images. Sea creatures bury their bodies beneath the sand, forming a colossal cloud of dust. As our path is temporarily blocked by the blurry silt, the sight of sand particles slowly drifting back to its place looks a little artistic. Even the flowers capture my eyes. Passing through their territory, the plants would shrivel up as if they were playing hide-and-seek. Wait for a few seconds, and the flowers would blossom into stunning life forms as the petals coasts effortlessly.

Not too far away is a “suspicious” sunken ship. I only say suspicious because in the movies, something creepy always lingers within the distance.

“Oo, this place looks pretty cool. Let’s check out this ship.” Slantel suggests.

“Are you crazy?” I protest. “Haven’t you seen any movie where scuba divers decide to explore some abandoned ship, and they happen to find, oh, I don’t know, eels…stingrays…or even sharks? And do you know where we’re going to…right now?” I emphasize every word.

“Um, someone’s a little bit paranoid? Movies aren’t exactly real. Well, they are, but they aren’t. You see, they sometimes make up information just to scare people. And I’ll doubt we’ll find any sharks or alligators or piranhas or whatever you said around here. You’re just freaking out way too much. This ship looks fun to explore. Plus, we might some treasure. Come on!”

I try to talk him out of it, but he just wouldn’t listen. That Slantel and his brain of his, I just sometimes wonder how his thought process works. With the unwillingness to venture in what I like to call the immersed death of despair, a certain someone is determined to drag me all the way inside as Pamela and Melissa did absolutely nothing. I hate myself.

“You have to see it to believe it” should definitely quote this ship. This place is like a maze, surrounded by countless walls and doors. As we explore each door, Slantel obviously leads the way, followed by Pamela and Melissa, and me dead last in the back. As the four of us continue to search for a red key, I detect a strange noise. At first, I didn’t pay much attention because the noises were practically inaudible. Investigating through more and more doors, the noises could be heard even louder now. I have a bad feeling about this.

We finally search the entire ship with the exception of only one remaining. I start to freak out again, and I just have to say something because the sounds are coming to us…quickly. “Guys, I think we should leave.”

“I second that.” Pamela agrees. “I hear some strange noises, and it's headed over here.”

“Oh, come on, you big sissies!” Slantel complain. “We only have one more door to open. Just one. So don’t back out of me now. Plus, the noises aren’t even that - ” Slantel is interrupted by an enormous shark, over twenty feet in length, rampaging through the ship, crashing and crushing everything in its path with some sharp, really sharp teeth. “Loud,” Slantel finishes.

I knew this would happen. Did I not say that this would happen? I repeat the same thing over and over again, yet no one listens. Why. Why? I sometimes feel like I’m talking to a wall. I share my input, while nothing shares any output. And I don’t even talk that much either! I could go on for hours and hours about this stupid thing, but right now, I got my own problems to deal with. Trying not to die from shark bites and ranting at the same time is pretty difficult to do.

Coming up with a plan would really help right about now. Swimming away for our lives, I see some broken pieces of wood lying around. As the shark opens its humongous mouth in the attempt to tear my left arm to shreds, I quickly insert a wooden plank in its mouth. I suspect this strategy would soon fail, but at least my actions briefly disable the shark from making its next moves. “Get more wood!” I shout. “It stops the shark from eating for a little bit, but we need all the time we can get!”

Pieces by pieces, crunches after crunches, we are running out of wood pretty fast. I desperately search around for anything that put an end to this beast, and I think I just did. Ever since this wild goose chase, I noticed something shiny hidden in the sand. I ask if the others could cover for me. They nod, doing their best. Just as I expected, when I dust off the sand, a huge metal pole with a sharp tip-like arrow is the answer. This would definitely kill the shark! However, this pole looks like it needs at least three people to control it. Perfect. Three of us could hold on to this thing. But how were we going to stop the shark? It’s not like our killer will stop if we politely ask. Then, an idea, a really risky idea, pops into my head. Three of us will use this pole for the shark, while the other one becomes shark food. It’s worth a shot. “Hey Slantel,” I call out, “you want to play with the shark for a little bit?

“Um, what?”

“Since you got us into this mess, you might as well get us out. You’ll be the bait, and Melissa, Pamela, and I will use that metal pole in the sand to stop the shark dead in its tracks.”

He hesitates. The only thing exciting happening is when we try to escape from the jaws of our killer. Well, that it it's not exciting, it's frightening, but at least the shark is doing something! Slantel did not even say a word. After what seems like an eternity, Slantel agrees to do his part. We also need to hurry because I have a feeling we are running out of time.

As Slantel swims off in a different direction, the rest of us get to work. I tackle the front of the pole, Melissa takes the middle, and Pamela tends the back to ensure a sort of balance.

“All right,” I begin to explain, “When I give the signal, we charge this pole into the shark, okay?” As both of them nod, we wait for Slantel's signal. Somehow, he works his way up to the top of the ship. Perfect.

We wait. Slantel makes another lap, and he manages to arrive at one end, while the shark is at the other. We immediately ready the pole as it leans like a cannon, ready to fire. The shark zooms faster and faster, accelerating quickly. Wait for it. The shark comes within vicinity of its bait. Wait for it. As the shark comes for its meal, I count. One…two…three. The shark sinks its teeth into Slantel. “NOW!” I yell.

With three people generating an incredible amount of force, the metal pole pierces the bottom of the shark’s mouth, but we didn’t stop there. Continuing to apply even more momentum, the pole slides all the way until the shark’s head cracks open, and the pole reaches the top of the ship. We did it. I am unable to believe this plan worked. There is no time to celebrate just yet. We still need to find the key. As the shark made a useless struggle to escape, blood mixes with the water…as the same thing happens to Slantel.

“Slantel…” Pamela gasps.

“It’s not that bad, just a wound, a big shoulder wound. Besides, don’t worry about me. We still haven’t found the key!”

“You idiot!” Pamela snaps. “Now that you have an open wound, blood is starting to come out. With the scent of blood here, more sharks are bound to come, probably in packs too! You're stupid enough to allow yourself to become bait. You’re even more stupid for injuring yourself! Why do you have to be such a big idiot?!” I could’ve sworn if the shark didn’t make so much noise that we could hear Pamela crying. I decide to step in.

“All right, look. Fighting’s not going to solve anything. We only have one more room to search, so let’s go.

Slantel takes the liberty of opening the door, despite his condition. He breathing is heavier. Painful noises release out of his mouth. This isn't good. We need to find medical treatment fast. Open wounds in open water, not a good idea. As the four of us enter the final room, we did not have to look any farther. On top of an ancient table includes some silverware, some kind of potion, another note, and a really big, red fat key. We decide to read the note first.

“Well done, your team managed to make it this far. By the time this note is finished, the time limit will reduce to thirty minutes. However, you just completed stage two. Congratulations. Welcome to the third and final stage, where teamwork skills are put to the test. Now, this is when you’ll need flashlights. There’s a reason why I only gave two. Go ahead, take a look around. It is near completion to utter darkness, yes? Two of the team members will make great use of the flashlights, while the other two members will carry the key to the base. I deliberately made this key for two people to hold, as it will be too heavy for only one person to carry. As for the flashlights, I’m sure you will need all the light you can possibly get. Oh, one last thing before we part again. There’s a potion to temporarily stop the pain and bleeding. Drink it.”

After I finish the note, Slantel consumes the potion to the last drop. Instantly, his wounds vanish, and he looks good as new. But this is only for a short period of time, so we need to act quickly.

“All right, who’s going to carry what?” I question.

“This key’s pretty heavy. I’m pretty strong, so I’ll hold a part of the key. Mel should take control of one flashlight.” Pamela concludes. That leaves only the males.

“Slantel, I think you should carry the flashlight, and I’ll help Pamela. Even though your wounds are better, they might open again.” I suggest.

“Nah, it’s fine.” Slantel insists.

“But really, you should -”

“I’m fine, honest. I’ll help my sis. Tell you what, if my wounds start up again, we’ll trade places, okay?” I want to protest, but there is no time for that. I just agree, and everyone quickly departs the ship.

We travel for a short distance and thankfully find the base not too far. We’re right next to the red door too. As Slantel and Pamela insert the key into the lock, I hear something oddly familiar. I wave my flashlight to the source, and I spot several specks. As these dots approach closer, I could identify multiple tails, multiple fins, and multiple sets of teeth, really sharp teeth.

“Guys, hurry.” I demand. “Some friends are back for some company.” The potion’s effects cease, and Slantel is bleeding again. With a tempting scent now, dozens of sharks catches a sniff and start speeding towards our location at an alarming rate. Time for a new plan.

“All right, Slantel,” I command, “time to switch places.” He didn’t fight back. He begins to moan even more. Hang on Slantel, we’re almost there.

Pamela and I get to work. We turn the key clockwise, and the door opens. Just in the nick of time, everyone moves in, and the door closes. Then, a loud noise pounds through. The sharks make an effort to break open, but all they could do was leave some nasty imprints on the door. As we approach the next door, a keypad full of numbers and letters appear. I look at the back of the note and type our code. “TEAM APPLE: ACCESS GRANTED” flashes on the screen, and we head through. As the door closes, the water starts to drain. When the entire room is completely empty, we strip off our suits. I’m assuming we made it within the time limit because our oxygen tanks instantly broke in half the moment we take them off. The room functions its way up, like an elevator. Its doors open, and all of us step out. As the elevator closes behind us, it descends back down disappears. No turning back now.

I, as well as my other teammates, just stand there, eyes staring. Palm trees invade the entire area. Sand, white sand, covers the entire floor. Water surrounds the entire place. We are on an island, stranding in the middle of nowhere.

Hey, this isn’t too bad. I make another look around the ambiance, and something changes. Millions of people appear out of nowhere. Rides like the Ferris wheel and the roller coasters simply float out of thin air. Numerous lemonade stands, concession stands, and popcorn machines flood everything in sight. This place looks just like a Six Flags.

“I’m hungry,” Slantel complains. “Let’s get something to eat. I bet there’s a ton of food here!”

I swear, Slantel and his appetite could be two totally separate people. My stomach calls to me a moment later. Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt if we eat a little bit. Except for Slantel. He’ll eat a mountain to be stuffed.

Restaurants invite welcoming aromas and scents. As people work making ice cream cones, I inhale a big whiff and die. Just smelling the mouth-watering treats satisfies my hunger. Man, places like these shouldn’t be so tempting. I wish I could get a plastic Ziploc bag and seal a bag of this stuff. If I do not eat anything soon, I am definitely going to pass out.

We, and when I say we, I only mean Slantel, decide to stop at a soft frozen lemonade stand. As soon as the tangy-flavored slushy touches my tongue, I instantly felt relief. Swishing the ice in my mouth makes feel so much better. Next is the popcorn machine. Pieces of kernels popping into their mature forms, doused with butter and lightly sprinkled with salt, just smells like a soothing paradise. Each of us takes a bag and dive in into the delicacy. The popcorn comes in contact with my salivary glands. Pure awesomeness. And, of course, we stop at a candy store, the king of confectioneries. The interior itself presents such a sweet, soothing, sophisticated design. Row by row, shelf by shelf, box by box are colorful jellybeans, succulent lollipops, enticing chocolate, yummy gummy bears, and a ton of other tasty sweets. I decide to get a bag of crystallized sugars sticks, Melissa gets Swedish Fish, Pamela gets licorice, and Slantel gets one of everything. I’m not even going ask. After Slantel is down to his last treats, we decide to go have fun.

“So, do y’all want to go together on rides or what?” I ask.

“That’s no fun. Let’s all go anywhere by ourselves,” Slantel request.

“Bad idea. Everywhere we go, those S.O.D.A. guys are always on to us. Maybe it’s best if we paired up in partners,” Pamela said.

“How about boys with boys, girls with girls?” I suggest.

“Sounds like a great idea. The guys can do guy things. Girls can do girl things. Plus, it’ll be like battle between the genders. This’ll be really cool!” Slantel is off in his own little world.

“I think it’d best if we came back here, next to the candy shop. Let’s say one hour? I have a wristwatch. Do any of you have any devices that tell time?” I ask. Pamela shows me her watch. “Great, so it’s settled.” I said. “It’s about 12:30 PM right now. Let’s meet back here at 1:30, okay?” Everyone nods as both genders part ways.

Despite massive cravings for food, Slantel is, to say the least, an interesting guy. I can pretty much ask him about anything and he doesn’t mind. “So what’s it like to, uh, eat a lot of food?”

“Awesome.” Slantel replies. “I get to eat whatever I want, whenever I want and I don’t even get fat! How cool is that? Food is just awesome. Oo, there’s a stand selling some funnel cake. Let’s go!”

“But we just ate some -”

“Yeah, so what? I’m already hungry! Hurry, I hear it calling for me! Wait for Slantel, funnel cake! I’m almost here!”

As I tried to catch up with the food lover, I think of something. Could it be possible that Slantel has another power? He could control time as he please as well as eat every food on the planet. Surely, no human could do that. Well, never mind. He has powers, something that mere mortals lack. Still, where does all that food go? I just have to ask him. “So, uh Slantel?” He gives a little “hmm” as he munches on the treat. “Um, where does all that food go? I know it goes down your stomach, but I don’t think you have five of them.”

He stops eating, which would surprise anyone who knows him. I think this is the first time I have seen Slantel not finish a meal. Wait, let me rephrase that. This is the first time I have seen Slantel stop during any meal. He looks around, as if someone was watching. “Well, might as well tell you. I see no harm in telling. Come on, let’s go someplace a little more private.” He leaves his funnel cake on the table. He never finished it.

Leave it to Mr. Biserick for the search of “a more private place.” Well, I guess the restroom is somewhat more secluded than the public areas. We stand next to a sink. “So, uh…is anything going to happen?”

Some red substance that looks like water pours out of his mouth and through the sink. Within mere seconds, the sink corrodes away into nothing, leaving only steam. It was like pouring water over a sandcastle. Very cool, yet very scary. Then, Slantel is about to sneeze. As he releases a big one on the mirror, it acts very similar when he, uh, threw up red acid. It didn’t work as quick and effective, but it did cover a much greater area. As opposed to the sneeze, when the water comes out of his mouth, it was concentrated in a way. “Whoa” was the only word that came out of my mine.

“Pretty cool, huh?” Slantel smiles. “Not only can I eat a ton, I can use this food to my advantage as an acid shooter. All right, glad I got that out of system. Ready to go back? As I nod, we head back outside, and I hope no one notices a missing sink and mirror.

I remember saying we are at some carnival place that looked like Six Flags. Well, I really think we are here because I see a sign that says “the Titan.” Slantel and I both decide we should go on this ride. As it is finally our turn, the front seats are ready. I sit down and flinch. My bottom is in pain. I take the thing out of my back pocket, and the apple I stole from such a long time ago is the thing. Should I eat it so I could just get rid of the thing? Nah, I’ll wait. I’m still surprised it is still in good shape, despite the journey underwater. After riding six or seven times, the Titan got pretty tiresome and dizzy. And it was just about 1:30.

Back at the candy store, Pam asked, “So, you boys had fun?” I look at Slantel and remember his new power he shared to me. I just smile and say, “Yeah, we did.”

“That’s good. Oh, I almost forgot, we don’t have a map. Let’s all get one.”

“But, Pamela, can’t you figure out where the location is?” I ask.

“Well, yes, but you guys can’t.”

“Oh.” I felt totally stupid. “Well, uh, what now? More rides?”

“Yeah, let’s do that,” Slantel requests.

And so off we went, ride after ride after ride.

This is just great. Everyone’s having a good time. No SODA member anywhere in sight. Perfect, just perfect. A perfect paradise. Perfect. After going on so many rides, we decide to take a break. Yes, how relaxing it is to not worry about anything. As the four of us rest on some benches, we watch other people venture on exciting rides, eat appetizing foods, and play entertaining games. I look at my map to see where we would be heading next. We hop off the benches and travel around the park.

Just as we are looking for another place to go, I feel something strange. I could not see anything peculiar physically, but I could just sense it. This building that captures my eyes manages to turn to a sign flashing at the top. “HOUSE OF MIRRORS” is the next place we are going to enter. As we arrive into a new world, I still question myself. Why do I have the strangest feeling? No use in thinking about it. I just shake this thought off, and we progress through the glass doors.

I love this place. You don’t even know which glass doors are real or fake. Even though I’ve been here a million times, I still don’t know which one are the right ones. Melissa is the first one to finish, probably because of her powers. Lucky her. Pamela finishes next, following Slantel, then me dead last. I’ve done this so many times. Why can’t I do this now?

“Come on William,” Pamela said.

“Well, you try not knowing which glass doors are real,” I protest.

“I just did.” Once again, she was right.

“Well…you try helping me instead of just standing there!”

After, I’d say, a few hours or so, I finally manage to get past the end. And once again, that strange feeling comes rushing back to me. Something strange appears in front of my eyes. I reach the end, and fog is surrounding everything within the vicinity. Seriously, fog is all over the place, and it's extremely crowded. I couldn’t see anything. Well, I could see fog, but that’s pretty much it. It would be like walking through complete darkness. Are we actually still at Six Flags?

“Pam, where are we?” I question.

“Hmm…looks like we’re still at Six Flags. Wait…what in the world? We’re above the Atlantic Ocean. We’re above our little trip from underwater. Wow, hard to believe we’re still on an island.”

“Um…okay.” I found out a little bit more information, but it didn’t really help. We’re still at Six Flags, on some island, but where exactly is our location? The last time I remember, Six Flags never has this much fog. Actually, Six Flags does not have any fog.
The fog lingers on with not a thing in sight. After a few moments of just standing there, we move on into the unknown. It’s really cool to walk through what we can’t see with our eyes, but it’s really scary to not know if the next steps could result in falling for who knows how long. Oh well. Anyone would think this fog would stay here forever, but, hey, I’ve been proven wrong. And sure enough, the fog starts to fade away. Grass could be seen on the ground now. Who knew an island could have so much green. I knew islands are covered in green, but seriously, this is a lot of green. A lot. Just across the million patches of grass, massive hills lay all across the land. It is like being in one of those movies where the scenery lives and breathe the word amazing. Hey, that makes me on the set! Well, not really, but you get the point.

Melissa, Slantel, Pamela, and I simply gasp. We walk for a while, looking just at the landscape. And all of this beauty is interrupted by some really loud roars. Uh-oh. I think I’ve seen this before. The actors would say something like “Shh, listen…what’s that?” Then they hear nothing, then some steps, then some loud steps, the some really loud steps. Right before my very eyes, dinosaurs barge towards our direction. This is just way too familiar. Really, I think dinosaurs are the land version of sharks. There’s no difference. Really, there isn’t. The dinosaurs are charging full speed, and it didn’t look like they we’re going to stop soon.

“Slantel,” I said.

“On it.” As he claps his hands together, the dinosaurs move slowly. Time is good for a few moments, and then speed returns back to normal. Slantel is down on the ground, moaning and bleeding because of his old wounds. They are opening again! And at a time like this. Looks like I find another thing about Slantel – he can’t control time when injured. We’re toast. Our last final moments conclude with Slantel. “Nice knowing you guys.” We, well at least I, close my eyes to avoid viewing death…but we didn’t. We did not die. I wait. I wait and wait, waiting like no tomorrow. I open my eyes, and I’m still alive. Wow, how many times have I lived from death, about a hundred now? A guy about the size of eighteen floors stops the dinosaurs with only one of his bare hands. Silence again. The really big guy shrinks back to a normal-sized human. I have a feeling introductions are going to start up.

“Hi, my name’s Danny. I’m eighteen, and I’m the leader of this group. As you saw a few moments ago, I have the ability to grow up to eighteen stories. Each year, I get to expand one more story. But that’s enough about me. Let me introduce you guys to my other teammates. Andrew?”

Danny didn’t even finish his sentence. With a blink of an eye, literally, another guy arrives at the scene. Really, I don’t even think I blinked. Man, this guy’s fast.

“Name’s Andrew, sixteen, super speed. That’s about it, anything else?” Not only did his speed exceed beyond the sky, so did his speech. Speed’s pretty much his game. He reminds me of my sixth grade science teacher. Thanks to him, I’m able to understand such quick speech. Medium size, black eyes, and long, black hair. Weird, but okay. It's the same with Danny, except he’s tall, and he has short hair. I wonder who’s next.

“Last but not least, we have Sarah and Lucy,” Danny continued. “Girls?”

Two girls, who are identical, walk to us. My guess is that they are twins. It seems like they appeared out of thin air, too.

“Oh, you’re wounded. Let us heal you,” one of the girls said softly. Wait, who’s hurt right now? Oh, that’s right! Slantel’s in pretty bad shape right now. Both of their hands glow when they put them together. A pinkish color radiates as the wound magically dissolves into nothing.
“Thanks,” Slantel compliments. Wow, they did a pretty good job. I couldn’t see any bleeding, and he looks instantly better. Dang, each one of them has a power…like us. Don’t tell me this is another team. Wait, Sarah? That means…

“Hi William,” Sarah says, giggling and smiling. Yup, I’ve met her before.

“So, uh, who’s this, your girlfriend?” Slantel questions. If I have a mirror, I probably could have seen myself turn red. My face feels hot. How could she possibly be my girlfriend? Well, she’s a friend who’s a girl. Actually, I’ve only met her one time, so I would not really call us friends. We did meet in the Atlantic Ocean. Look, the point is I don’t know her. At least, that well. You know what, never mind

“No,” I finally reply back. “We’ve met on the airplane, remember? We’ve all met her back then.”
“Oooooohhhhhh,” Slantel says “I remember you. You were on the trip to Russia with us. Nice to meet you.” She just giggles.
“Wait, so we’ve met before. You’re…Team Peach?” They all nod. “Cool, we’re Team Apple. We have powers like you too.” So two teams at the same place. I didn’t know there were other people like us. I mean, I thought the fruit was just a coincidence but apparently not. Nonetheless, very, very cool. Someone who can super-size, someone who can super speed, someone who can super heal. Team Peach is something.

“All right guys, save the chit chat for later. Dinosaurs will probably come stampeding back soon. Come on, let’s go,” says Danny.

“But to where?” I ask. “We don’t even know where we are. Well, I know we’re on an island. But we don’t know the next place we’re supposed to go.”

Super Speedy, Andrew, comments back. “I’m on it.” Just a few moments later, he's flying up to the sky. I am just about to ask until Danny states that everyone at least has another power. Looks like we’re not really different after all. Except for me. I don’t have any powers. Everyone ate all the apples. Speaking of, where is mine? Oh, my back pocket! I take it out. Surprisingly, it looks like it is in the same condition like before. Talk about lucky.

“Wow, you still have that thing all this time, kid?” Pamela questions, surprised.

“Um, yeah. I don’t really need to use it right now, but I’m not going to just throw it away. Y’all got powers from these. That’s just…crazy.”

“You want powers, do you not?’

“Well, yeah, of course. But I don’t need it right now. I just want to be…normal…different.” Nothing but silence yet again. Talk about major awkwardness. Thankfully, Andrew started to come back and landed on the ground.

He clears his throat. “Saw a boat that read 'ESCAPE HERE!' Looks suspicious, no thanks. Dinosaurs realm the entire island, yikes. Not too shabby. Really big island, but we can manage. There’s, uh, well, there’s nothing else that I can see. Maybe we’ll find something if we look around?”

“Good idea. While we’re walking, we can get acquainted with each other,” I said.

As the eight of us walk all over the island, I introduce my team. This time, it is more formal than on the airplane trip. We have no luck finding anything, so we just keep talking about ordinary things - what we like to do, what we enjoy, what we dislike. I have to say, it’s pretty interesting to simply listen to what people have to say if you don’t know them, and especially if you do. Finding our way out would also be interesting. We have to be careful in the path of dinosaurs, but we can also have a little fun in the process. After hours and hours of searching, I think of a brilliant idea.

“Well, this is getting us nowhere. Why don’t we split up into four teams? Let’s pair up with another person on a different team. That way, the search will be four times quicker.”

“If that’s the case, I’m gonna pick one of the twins. Who knows if I’ll get hurt again. I think we’ll be good partners.” Slantel said.

“Yeah, whatever,” Pamela sarcastically remarks. “Let’s be rational here. I’m the leader of this group, so I should pick the leader. Sounds fair enough? Good.”

Andrew looks like he wants to say something too. “Hey, if you guys get to pick, we do too. Let’s see, uh, I’ll pick that little kid over the. Is that, um, all right?”

“Sure,” Pam said. “Just watch out for her. She can’t speak. Think you can do that?”

“Um, yeah, of course,” Andrew laughs nervously. And it looks like there are only two people remaining. Sarah is coming towards me.

“Hi, William,” she starts. “Looks like everyone has someone except for the two of us. Would like to be partners?”

“Why not,” I said. I have no idea why, but I feel uncomfortable teaming up with Sarah. She smiles and giggles a lot, especially around me. And if you think there’s something going on between the two of us, forget it. We’re only friends. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less. I really wish I teamed up with one of my own members. Then again, I am the one who requested to do this in the first place.

Everyone is all set. Strange combination of partnerships, but that’s cool. This might turn out to be a good thing.

“All right teams. So, uh, I guess we split up now. We’ll meet back here in an hour or so. If you find anything, just, uh, give a call. Holler, yell, give a signal. Let’s go.” Danny said.

As the other three groups branch out into three separate directions, I make conversation with Sarah. “You wouldn’t by any chance have any other powers, would you?”

“Actually, I do. But it’s really the same thing you saw back with your friend Slantel. I can heal. But when I’m with Lucy, we can heal much quicker and more substantial. Let’s just say I can do much more when I’m with my twin. Oh, and our team power is super strength. How about you?”

I have to think for a moment that I am still a normal human. “Actually, I don’t have any powers. Well, powers like our teams, anyway. I’m guessing your team ate some peaches and acquired some powers. I have my apple still here with me. Can you believe how incredibly in good shape this apple is still in? It’s amazing. As for team power, Melissa, Slantel, and Pamela are family, and they can communicate using their minds. Cool, huh? As for me, I’m just a normal kid.”

“Why don’t you eat the apple?”

“Hmm, good question. Truth is, I actually have no idea. My guess is that the time isn’t ready yet. Or rather, it doesn’t feel like the right time. I have no idea when either, but I’m not going to throw it away. That’ll be a waste of food.” Sarah, as usual, smiles and giggles. It’s a little strange. Too strange, but, hey, I’ve seen weirder. And to top it off, she tells me I'm weird. Talk about ironic.

Again, we search and search and search. But nothing. I even sometimes forget what we are looking for, but that all changes as Sarah and I see Andrew fly to us.

“’Drew, what are you doing here?” Sarah question.

He only sighs. “How many times have I told you. I don’t like that name. Andrew sounds better. Proper is better. Well, not really, no. Actually…no. Uh, nope. No. Just call me Andrew.”

A smile instantly forms on my face. “Hey, me too! I hate the name 'Will.' I just don’t like it. William sounds more proper.” He gives me thumbs up and smiles back in return.

Sarah continues as if nothing happened. “So, why are you here? Any news?”

“Actually, yes,” Andrew comments. “We found our escape route. Actually, Melissa did. Not me. Gotta tell ya, it took a while, but we finally managed to communicate. Apparently, we found quicksand. And something’s under it. Let’s take a look.”

Miraculously, everyone manages to come together. It takes some time gathering eight people in one spot, but we did it. Sure enough, a pile of quicksand lies on the ground.

“Wait,” Danny said. “This is our exit?” I have to agree with him. How could this possibly be our way out? What are supposed to do, sink in this pile of sand? Wait, don’t tell me…

“Yes, as a matter of fact,” as Pam barged in. How does she know about - .Oh, never mind. Forgot these siblings have mind power. As she continues, “According to my little sister, we have to sink through the quicksand, then we’ll escape. Who would like to volunteer first?”

No one responds. I couldn’t blame them. I’ve seen videos where people sink in quicksand, but I wouldn’t think I would actually do this, like, in real life. I mean…what if I die there? I know Melissa says it’s our way out, but still. That thought just stuck in my head.

“All right, no victims? Guess I’ll go first. See ya on the other side.” The seven of us watch in awe as Pamela steps in the quicksand. Slowly, the sand swallows her legs, her hips, her arms, her body, her head. Poof. And not even a single complaint. My hands feel sweaty.

Sarah and Lucy are next. “Until next time.” They make it look so simple. Melissa is next, then Andrew, then Slantel. Only Danny and I remain.

“You’re not scared…are you?” he questions.

I don’t why, but I am shaking. “Yeah, a little bit.”

“Well, I’ll go in then. Trust me, it’ll take the nerves out and calm you down when you have no one looking. All right, take care.”

And with that, Danny sinks down to the bottom. And I was all alone. Scratch that, dinosaurs are within my vision. Ugh, I have to make a choice quickly if I did not want to die. Calmly breathing to decrease my insanity meter, I take my first steps in the quicksand. I have to say, it feels pretty different until I actually experience the sensation. The first steps in feels like glue in a way. Once my shoes are in, I could not pull back. I could, but that did not help. Struggling made matters worse. The worst thing about it is I couldn’t do anything. Talk about testing my skills. I have to be calm in an intense situation. At ease makes it more efficient. Struggling makes it less. Oh gosh, I am going to die. I could not think straight. My heart is racing faster than ever before. My legs would not do anything. This reminds me of a time when I was holding my breath underwater, and I needed to immediately gasp for air. Oh my gosh, I am really going to die. I just want to get out of here! What am I saying? I need to calm down. I close my eyes and simply let everything go. With that, I sink to the bottom of the quicksand, perhaps to my death.

Gross. Going under the quicksand is just plain gross. Slimy and wet, I have no idea what’s happening because everything is just sand, sand, sand. But the weird thing is, I actually don’t feel any weird sensations. I feel…well, it’s hard to explain. I can’t just put my finger on it. I guess it’s all in my head. I honestly felt something before, but now, nothing. After the uncertainty of sinking down to who knows where, I finally reach the bottom. Our escape that Melissa said turns out to not be an escape. I lay on the cold ground wondering where in the world is this place. Marble dominates the entire floor. Big, white columns stand tall, supporting the ceiling. Oh, the ceiling. Its grand majestic features would capture anyone’s sight. Not just the ceiling, the entire place. When I finally regain total consciousness, I absolutely love everything here. It’s just like an underwater palace, only on dry land. Man, this place’s awesome. My team, knocked out cold, remains motionless by my side, and for some reason, Team Peach appears nowhere in sight. I hope they’re okay. I look around to see anything that would be an escape. It seems like everywhere we go, an escape plan is needed. I’d better start formulating a strategy for the near future. Okay…so, since all of us sunk down to through the quicksand, we’re probably below somewhere. All I see is marble, and I didn’t see any escapes. What are we going to do, just stay here? I think not. I’m going to live. After no POA in mind, I decide to wake up my team to see if they could offer any assistance.

I just finished explaining our situation. “So any ideas?”

“Mel said there’s something beyond these walls,” Pam comments. “There’s more than one wall. There’s many, and they’re….moving…It’s something like moving walls. Ugh, I can’t explain this.”

Slantel raises an eyebrow. “You complain too much, you know that?”

“Oh, hush,” Pamela counterattacks.

We wait to come up with a plan, trying to think what we would do next. Well, our solution is solved, but it is totally not what I am expecting. The ground starts to shake, causing some type of platform with a black and red clothed person to emerge.

“Greetings. Glad to see all of you alive and healthy,” he said warmly. “I’d like to welcome you to the fourth and final stage. I’m your host, Palmer Byther. Let’s recap, shall we? Pamela Phillips, why don’t you start off? What did stage one teach you?”

“Who are you to tell me what to –” She gets interrupted. What did Palmer do? Pam, unable to finish, freeze in silence. His eyes resonates such a cold look. With an expression of a killer, anyone would stop, but I’ve never seen Pam act like this way before. Man, this guy’s good.

“Um…” Pamela continues, “We were back at that warehouse. We were tied up in a chair. We woke up, and …we escaped to the airport. Stage one had to deal with our escape skills.”

“Correct,” Palmer smiles. “Max Thumper, our fabulous doctor, treated everyone. And a fine job at that. After you managed to drive the car and head to the airport, you were headed to Russia next.”

“But then some crazy psycho pilot decided to drop everyone into the freaking ocean! We had to find a freaking key. That’s the next stage. Stage two tested out survival skills.”

“Correct, Mr. Biserick.” Hey…we never introduced ourselves. How does he know all of our names? I've experienced so many strange things. I don’t know why I even asked. Anyways, as he continues, “After the key was located, you needed to find the door to the island. Mr. William, why don’t you finish the rest?”

“Oh, um…okay. We, uh, found the door, luckily, but sharks quickly swam in our direction, so we had to work quickly. And on top of that, Slantel had a pretty nasty wound. Stage three tried our teamwork skills.”

“Correct. You reached the door and entered. The elevator reached to the top, allowing you to end up on a deserted island. Finding a way to this place means the fourth and final stage to take place. Don’t worry, this is actually the last one. I’ve monitored your progress very carefully. It’s been moving smoothly, so this stage should be easy. No teamwork skills. No escaping skills. No survival skills. This stage requires nothing more than trust. As I give the signal, you will be allowed to exit the dome. Warning – there are traps that lie on your path. Let’s just say…nah, I won’t spoil the fun. Remember, let trust be your light. Oh, and one more thing, I am the pilot.” He sends Slantel a nice big slap on the face, resulting with what looks like a painful red hand mark on the cheek.

“Wait!” I shouted before Palmer left. “Why are you S.O.D.A. guys doing this? What are you hoping to achieve?”

He softly laughs. “In due time, Mr. Huynh. In due time.” And with that, he snaps his fingers and vanishes. The dome begins to disintegrate, then shatters into tiny pieces of marble balls. Man, it was so nice too…

That Palmer Byther, what did he do? This place…Melissa and Pamela are right. It’s difficult to explain. Walls didn’t exactly move. They did, but they didn’t. I think….they are changing. Who knows. I didn’t see any traps. What the heck. Who knows where we were. And the exit stands in plain sight! That Palmer guy lied. Well, lied about the traps and whole truth thing. The other stuff is true. This stage is going to be easy. As I begin walking to our escape, I mysteriously bump into Pamela.

“Hey, watch it!” she yells. She turns behind to probably scold me, but confusion arises on her face.

“Sheesh, sorry,” I apologize.

“Slantel, did you see anyone?! I could’ve sworn someone bumped into me!”

“See what?” Slantel ponders. “It’s total darkness over here. How can you possibly see in a place like this!”

“What did you say?!” Pamela screams. “I can’t hear you! Where’s Melissa! Oh there, you are! Had me worried for a second!”

“Why are you yelling? We can hear you loud and clear.” Slantel said.

“What?!” Pamela repeats again.

“Ugh, this is pointless,” Slantel concludes. “I can’t see, you can’t hear, Melissa can’t speak. And…where’s William? William?”

“I’m right here, no need to yell. Sheesh, you’re beginning to sound like your sister.”

“Guys, can you find him?” He asks.

“Finally!” Pam shouts. “You’re finally audible! You need to speak louder! No one can hear you! And no! William is not here! Do you see him, Melissa?!”

She shakes her head in decline.

“Come on guys, don’t joke like this.” I said, but they are still trying to look. I am beginning to worry. This is so weird. What in the world is happening? Everything was fine back at the dome, which means something happened after we headed out. I remember accidently bumping into Pam. Let’s try it again. Actually, I’ll have a little fun.

After I slap Slantel in the face, he screams. “Ow! Is that Palmer guy back or what?”

“What!” Pamela yells again.

Slantel sighs. “Nothing. I just have two red marks. Two very painful marks.”

“It was me, silly,” I confess. But no one did anything. It's like I don't even exist. Wait, is that it? I think it is! I’m invisible. I can see everyone and everything, but no one can see me. Huh, would you look at that. Glad that mystery’s solved. Now to unravel this trio’s problem. Slantel’s blind. Pamela’s deaf. Melissa’s mute. Well, that really doesn’t affect Melissa. This reminds me of an episode I watched back when I was a kid. We are in the same scenario, sort of. The three who at least lost one of their senses is true. Of course! I think I got it. Palmer Byther is right. Looks like I stand corrected. Melissa, Slantel, and Pamela have one of their senses disabled. I, on the other hand, am unaffected by the change, but no one can see me. They can only feel me. Man, what a stage this is going to be. What did he say again? He said something about trust. Yeah, that’s it, that makes sense. Trust in yourself, trust in your team members. Now that I assessed our situation, it’s time for a plan. Maybe not for the exit but definitely for our sanity.

Out of nowhere, a sound resonates through, like some type of machine or contraption. Water spews from the floor, and electricity starts to buzz on the ceiling. Darn it, a time limit. I hate time limits. If we don’t think of something soon, bzzz! Come on, think, think, think! Water’s flooding the room, and when it arrives to the top, then we’re all goners.

“Great, my shoes are wet,” Slantel complains. He splashes the water to somewhere else. Why did he do it, I really don’t know. That’s it! I take the biggest amount of water I can carry and pour it over Pam’s head.

“Hey, watch it!” she scolds. Good, I caught her attention. Now she just has to follow. She continues to roar. “Where’d you go, huh?!”

“I’m right here!” I reply back. I forgot, talking to them would be like talking to a wall. But, thankfully, Melissa realizes my actions. Yes! I begin to splash to make them notice my plan. Melissa pulls Slantel’s and Pamela’s shirts to drive their eyes to me. Good. I make my way towards a wall. I have to hurry: water is now accelerating its flooding rate. I write on the wall with my fingers as a sign of communication. I just hope it’s legible.

“Hey, I hear some weird noises on the wall,” Slantel notices.

“What?!” Pam questions.

“WALL! THE WALL!”

“Oh, okay! Hey! I see some letters forming! This…is…William!” as she continues, “I can see you, but you can’t see me. Pam can’t hear, Slantel can’t see, and Melissa can’t speak. I have all my senses, but I’m invisible and inaudible. We have to work fast unless we want to die becoming BBQ. There’s a door…”

Wait, what? The door was just a door here a second ago. Where did it go?! I look everywhere, only to find our exit above the electricity. But, the electricity isn't continuous. It's into segments of a pattern. Five seconds of electricity, then a pause. And the water keeps rising to the top. Great. What did Mr. Byther say again? Something about this stage requiring nothing more than trust? Yeah, that’s it. We can get through this. We just have to trust each other. A sense of truth is a good way for communication in order to remain calm in a chaotic situation.

More than three-quarters filled, I try to think of another way. I continue to write little notes, saying I'm still here to my group. The zapping did occur in patterns. We could go out one by one. We could try to break the electricity. We could just die here. Oh, I don’t know. Anything, I’ll try anything. Then it hits me. I begin writing again. Of course, with all the water pushing my body and rushing to the top any minute now, my fingers scribble quickly.

“Hey, William’s writing again!” Pam shouts. “Since the room is almost filled, I’ll bang three times hard as a signal! That’s when you climb all the way to the top! But act quickly: the zaps will come back! Pamela should go first, then Slantel, then Melissa! That way, you guys can pick up each other getting up to the exit, from biggest to smallest!” She stops reading the words and speaks in my direction. “But what about you?!” I want to say “it’ll be fine,” knowing I’ll be the last person out of this wretched place, but I end up just writing “I don’t know, I’ll find a way.”

So we start initiating the plan, trusting each person, one careful step at a time. Okay, here goes nothing. Melissa and Slantel support Pam’s legs, ready to thrust her body to the top. Since they both could hear, this works out perfectly. The four of us are ready. Let’s do this. With three clear-pitched bangs, Pam reaches the exit with no problem. I am ready to start with Slantel, until I hear Pam’s booming voice.

“Danny?! Andrew?! Girls?! Wow, long time no see! But let’s talk later! My other three teammates are going to die from electrocution! Come on, let’s help! Wait ‘till I give the signal!”

What a relief to have Team Peach to give us a hand, literally. When I give the three sounds, Pam releases her signal, and Danny grows his arm to pick up Slantel without breaking a sweat. Melissa is the only one left. By this time, the water is almost touching the top, just a few inches left. She looks at me. With that scared, frightened look, she must’ve known what my intention is. Poor girl, she’s just a kid. I did my last three signals. Bang! Bang! Bang! Up Melissa went, and there is only me stuck with these waters. Knowing that the electric things would touch the waters any minute and therefore zapping me, I close my eyes and take a deep breath. The next few minutes are painful. My ears engage in worrisome shouts, the gushing sound of water, zapping, and a voice inside my head.

“Hey, what are you doing?” this voice asks.

“I’m going to die.” I return.

“Don’t play hero. In a few moments, you’ll end up fried and dead.”

“I know.”

“Don’t do this.”

“Why not?”

“Because I said so.”

“Oh, right, because you said so. Guess what, I’m going to die. And you can’t stop me.”

“Ugh, you’re impossible. But don’t go complaining to me what the heck happened when you’re alive.”

“Um, yeah, okay. I’ll see you later.”

A million voltages attack my skin. I could not feel anything because the pain is incredibly intense. It’s like looking at a fan powered on high. It spins so fast that the blades look so slow. Or taking a bath. The water is turned on so hot that it feels so cold. I’m feeling so much pain right now that I don’t feel a single thing. I probably passed out or went into shock or something. All I could see is black, nothing else. The electricity stops, and I feel myself sinking to the bottom. And the last thing I remember is that my body reaches down to the cold, cold ground.

I like watching anime. It’s one of my favorite hobbies. The creators make the characters so

realistic, it's no wonder they should be real. I’ve seen plenty of anime shows, and I like them all. But

there are very few that are my favorite. One of the characters stands at a distance in my eyes. Yeah, I

am dreaming.

I have no idea. Who, what, when, where, why. Nothing is clicking right now. This is like back at

the train – only black, nothing else.

Whenever some senses come back, the serene waves washes over the shores. Well, my eyes

aren't operable yet, so I didn’t know if it is a shore. I’m not complaining, though. It sounds really nice. I

would just love to forget about everything and just stay here and simply relax. The water moving over

my face back and forth is practically the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. Yeah, this

place is nice.

I have no idea when I woke up, but when I did, I stand up, finding out that I ended up on an

island…again. Fortunately, this isn't the same one I’ve been on. Over the past few weeks, I’ve learned

to be suspicious in situations like this. It’s quiet, too quiet. This is usually not a good thing. Still, I make

my way on the island.

My head hurts. Pamela, Slantel, and Melissa are nowhere in sight. I am all alone on this

uninhabited place. And the strange thing is…my skin looks normal. After that electrical disaster, I’ve

should have gotten some burns. This is too weird. A burn, a mark, a scar, anything. Having nothing on

me, it’s just too strange.

Continuing my way through this mysterious island, I ignore the fact nothing appears on my

skin. Standing here isn't going to help with anything, but what will is probably exploring for clues. It’s

always the same situation: there’s something weird going on, something weird happens. Something

weird happens, there’s something weird going on. I should’ve died back there. Instead, I’m alive, with

no apparent signs that I’ve been shocked. So I will continue my journey.

As my stomach calls to me, I try to find anything that will satisfy my appetite. Fruits hang on

the majority of the trees, and there’s a ton too. Bananas, oranges, pineapples, coconuts, and,

surprisingly, star fruits, kiwis, peaches, and apples. All the trees are tall, and I’m short. I will probably

need some cutting device. Man, my resource skills suck. I hate how my friends have the latest stuff.

Cell phones, cars, clothing, just name it. When they get them taken away, I bet they’ll freak out. Try

being stranded in the middle of nowhere, on some island, with only the clothes on your back.

Well, if I learned anything in my life, it’s to not complain if possible. Do something about the

situation. Standing around doing nothing isn’t going to solve anything. I look for anything that

would’ve helped me cut down food. Nothing. My strength wouldn’t help. Instead of breaking the fruit

with my hand, the fruit would probably break mine. Oh, I know! Finally finding some sticks, I move

them back and forth on a good surface, attempting to sharpen it enough to pierce objects effectively.

One of my problems is solved. As I save the other sticks for firewood, I thrust my stick through some

oranges, and it t takes a few tries. Gee, it looks so easy in the movies. One throw and bam. The actors

have what they want. But when I try, I hope miracles land in my direction.

After a good hour or so, my aim improves, and I finally catch fruit. Thank you, I’m beginning to

starve. I pick several oranges and find a place to sit. Ow! Standing up back again, I reach for my back

pocket, discovering what looks like an undamaged apple. Wow, all this time, this apple has practically

been living with me. And look at it - good as new! I’m going to put this somewhere else. Sitting on

things are painful. That includes apples.

Finally, after hours and hours of laboring work, I peel the outside of an orange, and my teeth

sink into the sweet and ripe sugary goodness. Ah, now that feels relaxing. Hard work does, indeed, pay

off. I haven’t tasted oranges in ages. With a bit of tanginess and pure sweetness, I could eat them all

day. After finishing the delicacy, I harvest a dozen for later. My body resorts to the bathroom, so I

locate myself walking to the ocean.

After completing my business, a sense of relief surges to my senses. I feel like a brand new

person. I look up at the sky, and daylight begins to set. I better start making a bed right about now. I

head back to the fruits until I see a young child, maybe seven or eight. Wait, a kid? Uh-oh, looks like

there are people living here. Hey, maybe this kid could tell me where am I. Better yet, he could tell me

how I ended up on this island! Just as he detects that I sensed his presence, he begins to run away. But,

determined to find out what happened, I follow him.

“Wait, come back!” I shout. But he keeps running and running. Every time I come a few inches

closer, the child would change directions. As time passes on, however, I start to catch up. It’s as if he

wants me to follow him. We’ve been playing cat and mouse for a good time now. And finally, I catch

up to the little brat.

For a few moments, I almost die. My breathing rate increases to the max. He’s staring at me like

I’m crazy. Man, I run for hours and hours and hours. I like to run, but this is ridiculous. The only

sounds reasonably loud are the obnoxious noises coming in and out of my body. This consists for a

good five minutes. Okay, I’m good.

“Follow me,” he finally speaks. I’m surprised words come out of his mouth. And, to think, the

next thing he said was “follow me.” Oh, please. I’ve been chasing some kid for a decent time. And you,

you, want me to follow. Again?!

Not complaining, at least on the outside, we end up deep within the island. A few people sit on

some stump-looking bases. One man stands up, notices me, and smiles. He wears a headband that no

one else wears. He must be special.

“Glad to see you’re awake,” Headband Guy said.

“Hi. Where am I?” I ask.

“Why, you’re on an island. I have no idea how you ended up here, but your body showed some

severe burns. It was burned completely.”

So I did get electrocuted. I still want to know how I managed to even survive and change to a

totally new location. Why do weird things happen to me?

As he continues, “I had some of my men attended to your injuries. It took about a week, but we

managed to entirely heal your wounds. After you rested, we took you back to the waters.”

“Oh, okay,” I conclude. I can’t believe they revitalized me entirely. My guess is that these

people have some sort of powers. Another thought pops into my head. “Oh, I have another question.

How did you heal me so thoroughly?”

“We are a group known as SOFA, the Secret Organization of Free Assault.”

“Wait, SOFA? That sounds a lot like SODA” That makes sense. Just change the D to F.

He pauses for a moment, like the name SODA is painful to hear. That reminds me, this guy does

look familiar. I’ve seen him somewhere before. I know I just do.

“Yes, I was originally from SODA. After hearing about their diabolic plans of world

domination, I left. Their plans, including making everyone their slaves, were just too much for me. So I

quit and created my own group, SOFA We specialize in herbs, so we can help people. I don’t want to

enslave people, I want to help them.”

His words seem true. It explains SODA’s motive for their actions. I guess there are people that

can change sides, good people like him. But…I just wonder if this guy is really not that evil.

“What’s your name?” I question.

“Lynwood Pellet,” he replies. “I’m sorry we dragged you into this. SODA is incredibly power

and dangerous, as you probably encountered. They look normal, but what distinguishes them from

everyone else is their red and black clothing. And the twelve people, including myself, have something

that differentiates the SODA members from each other. Any other questions?”

“Well…no, not right now. You definitely told me some information that sheds some light. Um,

yeah. What do we do now?”

“Whatever you would like, I presume. Our job for treating the wounds is complete now, at least

for you,” he assesses.

“Wait, that’s it? We’re done? What am I supposed to do now?” I confusedly ask.

“Like I stated before, whatever you like.”

“Um…okay.”

Silence. Really, what am I supposed to do? I can’t get off the island, I think. Oranges are

waiting for me. A firewood is ready to be roasted. Now that I think about it, the sun’s down. The night

dominates the time. I better start making a bed if I don’t want to be sleeping on the ground. Who knows

what’s out there.

“Well, I’m going back to, uh, my place. I’ll see you later Lynwood.

“Very well,” he said. “Hope you enjoy a good night’s rest.” And with that, Headband Guy

Lynwood Pellet dissolves into the trees.

I head back to my station, I guess. I don’t know what else to call it. I eat a couple of more

oranges, miraculously make a fire, and create a not too shabby place to sleep with leaves and sticks.

This reminds me of back when I was living in the streets, except the island is so much nicer. And I just

realize I finally get to relax, at least for a little bit. I hope.

Who knows for how long I’ve been at ease, but the first thing that wakes me up is pure sunshine

falling on my face. The peaceful birds chirp across the sky. What a nice way to wake up. I love waking

up naturally. I’m so used to alarm clocks and cars and the smell of pollution and screaming.

When I finally regain total control, the first thing I see is that little kid from before. I’m not a

morning person, so I try a smile, sitting up warmly in my bed.

“Hi, good morning,” he said.

“Hello,” I say in return.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Yes, I did, thank you for asking.”

“Would you like something to eat?”

“Um, sure.”

The little boy left for a few minutes. I wonder what foods are on this island. Plenty of fruits

dwell the area. Is there anything else? Nothing comes up in mind.

I didn’t wait long. The boy arrives with several plates of breakfast items along with other SOFA

members. Scrambled eggs were generously sprinkled with a dash of pepper. Sweet, sizzling sausages

complimented the crumbled bacon. Topped with whipped cream had waffles. A ton of other food piled

up, but what catches my eye is the distinct smell of popcorn. I like popcorn. It is my favorite food. I

don’t know why, though. It makes me happy for a reason. The final plates finish its last servings, and it

looks like the kid is going to make an announcement.

“Well, looks like everything’s done here, the meal, that is. I’ll be back again in a few minutes to

bring some tables, and then we can eat together. Sound like a good plan?” I nod.

Just a few minutes into eating, I ask my first question of the day.

“So, what’s your name?” I realize all this time that I never got a chance to ask.

“Well, it’s hard to explain, but I really don’t have one.”

“Oh? What do your people call you?”

“They don’t. They just say what they need. We have a conversation. We eat. We work. But they

have never given me a name. Why don’t you give me one?”

“Um,” I begin. Gee, I haven’t the slightest idea what would be a good one. I think for a few

minutes, but nothing comes up.

“I don’t know,” I finally respond. “What would you like me to call you?”

“It doesn’t matter,” he replies. “Just give me a good name. Something that sounds nice!”

That helps. What’s a nice name? Josh? Sam? Bob? Gah, I can’t think of anything. Guess I have

to disappoint him.

“Sorry kid. Can’t think of one. But I’ll tell you once I come up with one, okay?”

He goes quiet, as if I did give him disappointment. But then he smiles and gives a big nod and

an audible okay.

Surprisingly, I finish the entire breakfast. I save the popcorn for later though. I’ll probably snack

on it later. We clean up, and he directs me to somewhere while I follow.

I wonder where we’re going. This island is full of surprises. First there are the SOFA people. I

totally thought this place was uninhabited. Second there’s the food. It’s great. And third is this kid. He

gives off a strange feeling but in a good way. The unpredicted moment we met, I liked him. There’s this

feeling I know him from somewhere, and, of course, I can’t remember. I just can't shake this feeling

off. I’ve become so lost in thought that I don't realize that we reach our destination. I got to say, it’s

pretty amazing.

Music fills the area with peaceful melodies. The shores wash up the most serene sounds. We sit

over a couple of palm trees that offers some shade. I move my fingers across the sand, feeling its

texture as a breeze blows in our direction. Happiness comes in many forms. For some, it's money. For

others, it's a good time laughing. For me, lying my head down listening to the quiet shores move back

and forth is enough to make me happy. I like this island. This is my paradise. I wouldn’t want to leave

this place. I know that if I relax, there will be no worries. No SODA, no problems, no fights, nothing.

Yeah, I definitely love this place. Before resting my head, I feel something in my head. As I look to see

what it is, I smile. I have the perfect name for the kid.

I close my eyes again and talk in a relaxing state. “Hey, kid. I figured out your name.” He
doesn’t get up or anything, but I have a feeling his ears are listening. “I’ve finally decided on what to call you. Popcorn.”

The expression on his face is strange but reasonable. His fingers curve on his mouth, elbow on knee, thinking about the new name.

“Hmm, Popcorn…it’s strange. It has a nice ring to it. I think I’ll like it.” He gives me a smile and thumbs up. I guess he likes his new identity.

“All right, so Popcorn it is,” I agree. “What do you want to do now Popcorn?” Realizing that this is a strange name indeed, it’ll take a while for me to get used to it.

“I don’t know,” he returns. “Well, actually, I need to go back home. Let's go.”

“Home?” Then I realize Popcorn is talking about his home, not ours. “Oh,” I comment.

I don’t remember the last time I thought of home. Well, my house. I want to make the two words very clear that they are different. House is a physical place. Home comes from the heart. I do miss the old smell back before all of this happened. Not really, but just a little bit.

“I guess I’ll go back to my place, then,” I decide.

“Hmm, you must be lonely by yourself. Why don’t you grab your things and live with us?” Popcorn’s suggestion sounds pretty nice. I didn’t have anyone to talk to and, who knows, maybe hanging out with other people isn’t such a bad idea. I keep forgetting that I’m used to doing everything all by myself. I think this could be a good idea. I nod, giving a small “okay.” I pack the rest of my oranges, my cutting weapon, and my apple.

The first thing I notice when Popcorn and I arrive at our destination is some strands concealing the entrance. It’s like one of those things when you go through a door that has those decorations hanging from the top, except grass is covering the place like the size of a house. As we go through the entrance, I am welcomed by a voice. “Welcome, sir.” It’s the Headband Guy.

“Oh, hello Lynwood. I hope I'm not intruding. Popcorn here, uh, offered me to um, possibly live here?" in a sheepish voice.

"I do not mind at all, the part of you making living arrangements within our residency. But...I have to ask. Who is this 'Popcorn' person of which you speak?"

I immediately know my face turns totally red. No one knows his name except for the name taker and name giver, Popcorn and I. Taking a moment to break, I recollect my thoughts. "I am so sorry, Mr. Pellet. It's this kid right here. He, um, insisted I give him a name. So I did."

Awkward silences, I hate them. I think everyone does. Oh, someone break the ice.

After probably analyzing my stupidity, he finally speaks. "I see. Very well then. Popcorn' here will show you to your new room here on The GEP. Are there any questions?"

"Yes, actually," I decide. “What does 'The GEP' stand for?" The name sounds interesting and mysterious.

"The GEP is known as The Golden Exchange Project. No, there are not literally exchanges of golden-colored items. It is rather, how do I put this, an island of love and peace, serenity and tranquility, freedom and opportunity. It does not look much, but The GEP is an incredible place. Never, ever judge a book by its cover."

"Oh, okay. I see." The Golden Exchange Project. Not what I am expecting. Popcorn signals a cough to indicate it is time to go.

"All righty, then. I guess I'll, uh, head off now. Goodbye, Lynwood."

"Until next time, Mr. Huynh."

As soon as I enter my room, I should've listened to him. I mean, I do listen, but for me, personally, I have to do it myself to believe anything. Like, I'll ask someone "What time is it?" As they respond with what I assume to be the time, I check my own watch to see if they were lying. Mr. Pellet said this just looks like a little piece of land. But when I reach my room, there is more to it than meets the eye. A fine taste of piano music surrounds the area with a sense of welcome. Walking over to the refrigerator, I see practically every type of food there is on this planet. Not literally, of course. There's just a ton of food. There is nice flooring too. It is like living in my own house, and, to think, this is only the size of only one room! I guess anything is possible.

Realizing my clothes smell and torn, my next mission heads to the shower. As soon as my first steps arrive at the area of bathing, my eyes amaze itself by the sheer decor. A palace of stainless steel lives and breathes every inch of this room. Well, I guess partially of the room. A room within a room. It's hard to remember that the room I'm assigned to is the size of a mansion.

I'm pretty sure I stare for several hours, admiring the shape and texture. I guess the entire room could be one single color, stainless steel. Wow. I fill the bathtub with warm water, take a deep breath, and slowly sink into perfection. Ah, relaxation again. I love life right now. Like back at the shores of the beach, I could just stay here forever.

Who knows how long I stayed in the water. Apparently I took a nap. It's time for a shower now. Baths are for relaxing; Showers are for cleaning. I think to myself, "Okayyyyy, where's the shower?" Immediately, the bathtub transforms into a complete collection of shampoo bottles, a shower head, and curtains. I turn my head sideways and grin. "Change back to the bathtub," I reflect in my head. Not a moment too soon, my words come to life. So, does this room not have anything? I stop daydreaming, actually take a shower, and end up on a bed.

The bed contains a stainless steel base. Not the sheets, though. I don't know, probably because the material is cold to sleep on? I murmur "blue sheets." Once again, I think about how cool this place is, drifting off into sweet dreams.

A new day is here. I wake up. Again. On a bed. A real bed. How awesome is it to wake up from a bed? I really think I can actually start living like the way things are right now. I do my daily routines and head off to the world, knowing that I do not have to worry about anything. Yeah, life is pretty perfect.

I wonder what lies ahead this day. I freshen up in the perfect bathroom and exit out of my room. I stop as my foot walks out the door. People of all ages sprint in one direction, still in their PJs. Murmurs spread like germs, but one definite word is clear among the crowd: food.

I decide to follow the crowd. We walk until we reach an enormous place that looks like a cafeteria. People already pick their seats as if they are defending their territory. I look around, acting like a new and confused student. Where am I going to sit? I scan the room, then a sigh of relief exits my body. Popcorn is here! I think it's always a good thing, when someone is totally brand new to something, and a familiar face is in the crowd. I angle my way to him.

He sees me and smiles. "Hi."

"Hi. This place is huge. It looks like everyone has a seat of their own. Are we supposed to sit somewhere specific?"

"No," he said. "We sit wherever we want."

"Can I, uh, sit with you then?"

"Sure, if you want."

"Cool. Where do we get food?"

"Over there." He points across the cafeteria, and there I see it. Plates of food and food lay on a really, really long table. Like really long. Like, over five-hundred feet in length. Breakfast foods, of course. That's a lot of food, a lot of food to feed a lot of people. And I am surprised too. There is no line. It is like a come-and-go, self-serve type of thing. I choose to join the thousands of hungry stomachs.

People are at ease. Some are standing around. Some are chatting. Some are eating second helpings. Some are doing who knows what.

I grab a plate, and I make my way to the eggs. Practically every type of egg is present on this table. I go for two sunny-side ups. I pick two strips of bacon, some toast, some cereal, and some orange juice. After gathering my meal, I retreat back to Popcorn's table. I pour my Honey Nut Cheerios into the orange juice.

He looks at my food. "Wow."

"What?" Confusion is written all over my face. “Did I order something wrong?”

"Oh, nothing. It's just...a strange combination."

I raise an eyebrow. "This is weird? This looks pretty normal to me."

"Well, not here. Just take a look around."

I monitor a group of people. Their plates consists of baked potatoes stuffed with cheese and bacon, sausage wrapped in a coating of chocolate, strawberry eggs, and the various fruits on the island as the drinks. "It doesn't look any stranger than mine," I conclude as I dab butter on the toasted bread.

"Um, are you blind? Your food and their food look nothing remotely alike."

"Um, yes it does."

"No, it doesn't."

"Yes, it does."

"No, it doesn't."

This conversation prolongs for several minutes. Really, it's the same thing. Okay, fine, baked potato and sausage are not the same, but they're food. It doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside. It's going to end up inside the body. I am about to give up too until someone interrupts us.

"Why, hello gentlemen."

"Hello, Lynwood," I greet. It takes me awhile to figure out who's standing here because of his pajama clothing. I have never seen him wear something like this. Actually, I haven't seen anyone in their PJs. I have not been here for even a week. I'm wearing normal clothes, and I realize I stick out like a sore thumb. Gee, I guess Popcorn is right.

"I feel awkward." I said.

"Yeah, you are," Popcorn smirks.

"Quiet, you. Now, there is nothing to be ashamed about. Our home is your home."

"Oh. Thank you."

"How is The GEP so far?" Lynwood asks.

"It's pretty gre-"

BOOM! An instant explosion impacts the entire cafeteria. The ground shakes like a massive earthquake. The ceiling starts to collapse, forming cracks as several pieces of the roof caves in. Everyone is screaming their heads off. Total chaos in a matter of seconds, and this is only the beginning.

Lynwood somehow shouts over all the noise. "Everyone, listen up! Stop panicking and avert your direction to me!" Amazingly, everyone in the room seizes their actions and follows his command. For everyone’s' sake, I hope he makes a plan fast. This place is going to fall any minute now.

"All right! We are under attack! This is the fifth time since day one! Report to your base! Secure your stations and prepare all signals! Now, let's move out!"

Everyone stomps their feet simultaneously with precision like marching soldiers. Different groups move in every direction. We miraculously change from total chaos to total control by several orders thanks to some leadership. Lynwood, Popcorn, and I remain in the cafeteria that I'm sure threatens to engulf us.

"What are we supposed to do?" My voice is shaking so badly. The amount of nervous symptoms shows I'm in total disorder. Lynwood puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Relax calm down. The last thing we need is someone who is freaking out. Quickly, follow me."

We head towards the table that is now smashed up. I am about to ask what in the world are doing here until Lynwood and Popcorn assemble a portion of the table back together, chant some words, and a portal materializes right before my very eyes. Looks like I'll have to wait before assuming anything anymore.

"Get in. Now," he commands the both of us.

I, well, Popcorn and I, didn't waste any time. We jump into the portal, and immediately, we end up in a pitch-black tunnel. I land on the ground first, followed by a body slam by Popcorn right on top of me.

"Ow!" I shout, except I didn't. Instead, I am screaming in my mind.

"Sorry, William," he responds in his thoughts as well.

"Wait, what the heck? We aren't we talking?” I mean, we're talking but we're not talking?

"What? You're talking right now!"

"Yes, but so are you! I'm talking in my mind!"

Lynwood soon joins us, and our portal exit vanishes. "Sorry, William. I forgot to tell you, under extreme and intense situations, such as ones like right now, there are many, many rules and regulations to be explained. Right now, just listen to my voice. Tap your left elbow twice."

I follow his instructions, and our bodies started to glow. "Oh, I get it. Light!"

"Come on, let's move forward," he urges.

The floor's pretty nice. But the two parallel walls make up rocks, leaves, and dirt. The top is stainless steel. My guess is that we are under the island now. It does make sense. We keep walking and walking for miles, and no one sparks a conversation. I didn't want to be the one to break the ice. What am I saying? I like silence! Silence is golden. And not too soon a moment later, we reach a dead end.

"Will you do the honors"? Lynwood said to Popcorn. He let out a “sure,” closes his eyes, and starts to concentrate. I shouldn’t bother asking. Let them do the work. I’m just following. Popcorn lets out a fierce shout, and our dead end crumbles to the ground. I see light! We finally reach our exit, and I frown.

This is where the real battle begins.

Every five seconds, cannons would shoot in countless directions. An endless rain of arrows attacks the enemy. Bombs explode with no warnings. About an hour ago, I was enjoying a nice meal at breakfast. Now, I’m trying not to die. I am too scared to ask what’s going on, but I do anyways.

“Lynwood…what’s happening?”

He takes a deep, heavy sigh. “SODA is back. And they’re loaded. I’ve told them that this place is not for games. The only reason they’re here is because of something serious, something important…but what could it be? We don’t have anything useful they need.”

I look at Popcorn. His body language is pretty shallow right now. Our eyes meet, and we connect with one mutual feeling: fear. I know I won’t die because I never do, even if I want to. Still, my hands shake so badly, goose bumps form on every inch of my body. I’m shivering, yet the weather is not cold. I close my eyes and breathe. Please. Someone help. Get rid of all this destruction and danger. This island is supposed to be the opposite of what’s going on right now!

“Lynwood, what do we do?”

“Nothing but hope. I did not expect another attack so soon. Otherwise, I could have trained you in some field of training.”

“Why don’t you go help then?” The question sounds like a good, logical answer. After all, he is the leader of the group.

“You’re right, I should. But I won’t. Because if I so happen as to die, then…this island will fall too. Remember when I quit SODA? They don’t let people go so easily. In exchange for leaving, my life is connected to the island. Which means if I die, we all die.

I start to blink several times hardly. This is a lose-lose situation. No, this can’t be. It should not end this way. It can’t. It won’t! If someone does something, then we could win! I am about to offer some advice to Lynwood until I hear a familiar voice. That chilling tone. No, it can’t be. I dare not even move. I dare not even breathe.

“Well, it’s been awhile, Lynwood Pellet. And it looks like that apple idiot is here.”

Lynwood didn’t seem to be affected by his aura, but I guess it’s because he has been in SODA before. He looks at the evil person with sad, cold eyes.

“Yes, it has, Fritz Applewhaite. What brings you to my island?”

“I'm here for the punk who escaped. What are you, hard of remembering? Or perhaps a better terminology would be lack of intelligence? He was one of the twenty people as our test experiments. I should say my experiment, since you decided to leave. Anyways, four sadly died in an unexpected train crash, but that leaves sixteen guinea pigs! I found four of these rodents, and they’re safely imprisoned on my SAD. And it appears these pathetic life forms congregated into groups. Two of them say they’re from Team Kiwi and another two from Team Peach. Bah, who cares! Humans are humans. They are all the same to be subjected to testing. Now that I thoroughly explained my reason, I believe it’s time to hand over the boy.”

My heart is beating so fast. One, because he wants to use me for his experiments. Two, Team Peach is alive, at least two of them anyways. What about my team?! Is Pamela, Slantel, and Melissa fine? I probably would get my head chopped off for even talking, but impulse is rushing through me.

“Mr. Fri-” He takes out his sword blindly fast, I nearly faint right then and there. He responds with that icy voice. “What do you want, foolish child?”

“I was wondering if there were any hearings of Team Apple.”

He thinks for a while, then evilly amuses himself. “Yes, but only if you decide to come with me.”

My life in return for details about my three team members. Should I risk it? I did not know what to do. Time is running out. Lynwood gives me a subtle signal to decline the offer. My mind is on fire.

“Sorry, but no. I won't if I have to sacrifice me just to get information.”

Fritz Applewhaite disapproves of the statement. “Humans are all the same. You little fool. You will regret this until the day you die. I will make you suffer the most painful death in the slowest way possible. I will have you begging to die, stupid imbecile.” And now, I see a ten-foot blade aiming at my body. I close my eyes, ready for my end. I make out a weapon entering the stomach as the parts gush and squish around the blade, twisting and turning. Coughing, that’s what I hear. I open my eyes, alert and wake. Fortunately, I am not the one writing in pain. However, the person coughing up considerable amounts of blood on the floor is Popcorn.

Lynwood emits a blazing wave of fueling rage. Fire ignites the passion of pure animosity through combusting eyes. His breathing gradually intensifies and develops some sort of scorching energy that singes around his incinerating aura. I know SODA, and when they are angry, it’s goodbye for everyone. Anger is an understatement. Unless I am running at the speed of light, we’ll be obliterated by the very air coming out of Lynwood himself. I take Popcorn somewhere safe hopefully. Oh man, this isn’t good. Popcorn is losing color, burning with an incredible fever, and his hearing is barely audible. I have no experience in healing, so I can’t do a single thing. I am freaking useless. All I can do right now is watch him die. Everyone else is battling. Lynwood is pretty much our only hope.

“Water,” he says weakly. “In…my…pocket…get…water.” There is no time to waste. I quickly grab his water bottle. “Put…water…on…wound…” I follow his instructions. “Put…hand…on wound…” By this point, I am hyperventilating. Popcorn, I forbid you to die, okay? You’re not going to die by my watch, you hear me?! You. Will. Stay. Alive. No matter what, death is not an option. I finally snap out of it when he holds my hand. He signals the wound, which is now disappearing. The water is working.

His talking improves but ever so slightly. “Still not good enough.”

“No, it will. I’m going to get more water.” If I have to speak another word, my voice is going to break down, and I am going to lose it.

“No. You can’t do anymore. Please, just stay with me here.” I will not do it. If I don’t think about it, it won’t happen. If I don’t think about it, it won’t happen. If I don’t think about it, it won’t happen. Okay, think of happy things. I like newspaper. I like my friends. I like my team. I like food. I like chocolate. I like grilled cheese. I like pop…corn. I’m not going to think about it.

Time goes on, and he is losing consciousness. I am unable to even say his name anymore. It’s just unbearable. That’s it, I can’t do it anymore. I’m taking him to a water source. Like I said, he is not going to die. Not now, not ever.

I carry him on my back and rush as fast as I could, dodging and ducking bullets, arrows, and swords. Somewhere along the way, his hair rolls down to his shoulders. No way, is this guy actually a girl? That didn’t matter. I need to take him, or her, or whatever, to water as soon as possible.

Thank whoever is here. As soon as I reach to water, sweet, sweet water, I collapse. I never stopped, not even for a second. No time to rest. I can rest whenever he’s better. I position his hand on the wound. Instantly, the blood vanishes and the scar tissue fades away. But his energy is drained to the core. He can’t even move, but I know he is breathing. He just has to. Taking him out to dry, the wound generates another opening again. No. No, no, no, no, no. This is not happening. Not at a time like this. I place him back in the water. Just as expected, no more. But when I take him out, it appears again. He…Popcorn looks like he didn’t have long to live.

He finally responds. “Please, just stop. You’ve already done so much. Stay here with me in the water. Please.”

I didn’t argue, even if I try. My energy level is drastically low. I sit while I put his head on my lap. We have a conversation, a normal one, and Popcorn starts us off.

"Do you see the sky? It's full of bright stars."

"Yeah, it's beautiful."

"I could just look at them all night."

"Yeah, me too."

"Do you star see often?"

"No, not really. This is actually my first time looking at the stars."

"Oh, really?" He starts to cough. "You should do this more often. It helps soothe the body."

I feel fluid building up in my eyes, but I hold them back. Not now. Please. “All right, I will." Something shoots across the starry sky.

Popcorn gasps. "It's a shooting star. Quickly, make a wish!"

I hold my head up, filling with strong hopes. I should have wished Popcorn to be better, but instead, the only thing I desire for is this stupid war to end. He wouldn't want me to feel better. He just wouldn't ask for that. I feel my eyelids turn heavy. The ground stops shaking. My ears didn't hear any weapons clashing against each other. Did...my wish come true? Maybe Lynwood will tell us. I don't know how, but he finds us. I look at him with my pleading, exhausted eyes. He's battered and bruised, but I sense information hidden across his mouth. He gives an assuring nod.

Lynwood says only two words. "It's over." I return the best nod I could do. My body is going to shut down.

"Lyn-Lynwood, is that you?" Popcorn asks.

I knew the moment Lynwood when examines at his critical condition that he would tear up. "Yes, it is me."

"Oh, that means you won. Fritz is dead, right?"

"Yes, Fritz is dead. The leader of SODA is no more."

Popcorn smiles. "At last, I can finally relax. At last. At peace. At ease." He looks at me.

"William, I want you to promise me something, okay?"

"Anything you want. Just name it."

"Take care of my older sister and brother for me. They're a handful, but I know you can do it."

"Wait, what do you mean? You have siblings?"

He smiles one last time and hugs me. "Thank you, goodbye." He writes on my hand the letters "SW."

"Look at the stars, please" is Popcorn's final request.

The very being of Popcorn transforms into dust particles. They spiral up into the sky, joining the beautiful celestial night wonders. The words "thank you" flies across the black space. Moving my head sideways to sleep, I look at my hand to see the note. "SW." As I continue turning my head, I manage end up upside-down. Then it hits me. The familiar feeling. The mind telepathy. The girl-looking boy. I finally let the tears steam down my cheeks. I am too tired now. "SW" upside-down is "MS." Goodbye, Melissa Shrizletboard.