Fractured Fairytale | Teen Ink

Fractured Fairytale

January 3, 2012
By Nissa-Marie BRONZE, Kettle Falls, Washington
More by this author
Nissa-Marie BRONZE, Kettle Falls, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life's a race to see who can get to finish line last"
"Enjoy life... No one gets out alive."


“Elle, why don’t you go gather some herbs from the garden?” Elle’s grandmother asked her.
“Sure!” Elle agreed. “Glad to help out.” She glided out to the garden gracefully, as her grandmother had taught her how to do. Chin high, shoulders back, chest out, smooth, light strides.
Elle was not your average elve. Whereas most elves had naturally tan skin, light brown hair, petite features and brown eyes: Elle had pale skin, long, curly, black hair, almond shape green eyes and curves. She appeared so different from the rest of her kind because her father was a human. No one in the village she lived in had ever seen Bartholomew, Jondora, Elle’s mother, had met the wondering man while he was lost on the forest.
Elle halted at a row with cilantro, she picked up a bushel, as well as leaves off a basil plant that she thought that would go well with their dinner. She then slid inside.
“Oh, thank you dear,” her grandmother said kindly. “Would you fetch me a pail of water as well?”
“No problem,” Elle replied. She snatched the water pail from its corner in the room and entered the woods. Two miles away from her backyard was the creek where she gathered their water.
Elle’s easygoing attitude was due to her good day, but that pleasant mood faded quickly as she saw what was taking a drink out of the creek. It was a human. Elle despised humans. They were intolerable beings that only thought of themselves. This accusation was due mostly because of her father. She hated him for abandoning her mother, and never once visiting her in her sixteen years of life. The only thing he ever gave her was her looks.
The man who had been drinking from the stream raised his head. She caught her first glance of him. His body was carved like an angel. His locks of hair were ash blonde that stood just as if he had just awoke. He was tan, as though he worked under the sun all day long. It was his eyes though. That caught her attention. They too were almond shaped, but were the purest blue that she had ever witnessed.
He got back up on his feet and Elle stumbled backwards in shock. She had been so concentrated in analyzing him that she was taken aback when he moved. He took off to the west and Elle followed behind him for a bit out of curiosity. Finally, she gave up and headed back to the creek to gather the water she was sent after in the first place.
Elle dipped her empty pail into the running water. Why was he here? What was a human doing this far into the woods? Maybe he too, had been lost, like her father. After pondering those many thoughts, Elle decided to forget about him. It was not worth her time.
Elle hurried off towards the north to her home. She would help her grandmother in the garden and then prepare dinner determined as she raced back.
Though she had tried everything, sleep eluded her. However, she had not a clue why. The next morning she was weary and sore from the night prior.
“Mammaw, may I go visit my friends today?” Elle’s grandmother gave her a stern, apprehensive look
“Well, we have the farmers market tomorrow and you need to help me prepare.” She paused. “I suppose you may enjoy the company of your friends, only if you are back by mid-day though.”
“Oh, thank you!” Elle exclaimed as she gave her grandmother a kiss and sprinted out of the door towards the village.
Later, Elle headed back to the creek with her friends, Freyr and Lonna. They sat upon the edge and splashed their feet through the water as they whispered about the latest rumors circling through their small village.
“I saw the way Gelmir was looking at you as we passed by in the village today,” Freyr informed Elle.
Elle smiled in embarrassment, “I know he’s really cute and all, but I don’t know if I want to be with him.”
“Why not?” Lonna questioned.
“He is full of himself. So many girls are throwing themselves at his feet, which therefor causes him to think that he is all that, and above everyone else.”
“But he sure is cute, and I’m sure that he will get over that if you two court,” Lonna tried to persuade her.
“But what if he doesn’t change? What if he keeps acting this way and threatens to leave me if I don’t do something, or do something he doesn’t like?” Elle worried.
“Elle, you are the most beautiful girl in the village. No one would ever dare leave you,” Lonna confirmed.
“I’m not that perfect,” Elle opposed.
“Yeah,” Freyr butted in. “Besides, he is only going after you because I rejected him last winter.”
“True, you did hurt his feelings,” Elle admitted.
“Yes, but he has had his eye on you forever Elle. Even before Freyr turned him down,” Lonna interrupted.
“I wouldn’t be so sure,” Elle disagreed.
“Well I am,” Lonna said determined. Freyr, becoming increasingly annoyed by the conversation, took action.
“Well, you cannot go after him. I decided that I want him,” Freyr snapped.
“I thought that you didn’t care about him and hid little clique that follow him around,” Elle said in surprise.
“I heard that your father is setting you up for an arranged marriage,” Lonna added.
“That is just story a pissed off cook made up. I can do whatever I can do whatever I please, whenever I please,” Freyr denied.
“I wouldn’t be so cocky just because you are the Chief’s daughter. You only have a higher status. That only means that you have a higher chance of an arranged marriage to another upper class family,” Elle pointed out.
“I also heard that it wasn’t a cook. Apparently, an old maid overheard your father talking to your mother about merging villages.
“Why would my father merge villages? We are already the best of the best.”
“We want peace and expansion. They want resources and wealth,” Elle pointed out.
“We already have everything that we need. Why do they not just go find some other village to throw themselves and all of their petty, little problems on?” Freyr questioned.
“Don’t be so judgmental. I haven’t even heard which village we’re merging with,” Lonna argued.
“Does it matter what village it is? We already know they will be weaker than us either way,” Freyr said stubbornly.
“Freyr! Stop it!” Elle yelled firmly. “Whatever village it is I am sure that they’re equal to us.”
“Oh yeah, little Miss Perfect? What about humans? You despise humans,” Freyr shot back.
Elle was shocked Freyr would bring up that subject. All that Elle managed to retaliate was, “That’s different.”
“How so?”
“We are not going to merge with humans. Humans are self-centered, despicable, selfish, discriminating, conceded, unreliable assholes! We will never have a need for humans! Humans are worthless and pointless!” Elle yelled out in a rampage.
Freyr and Lonna were taken back and speechless. They knew that the talk of humans enraged Elle but they had never seen her so filled with anger so quickly before.
“Well, have you ever actually met a human before?” Lonna asked quiet and calm once Elle had composed herself.
Elle’s body went numb, her mind went blank, and her eyes opened wide with shock as she came to the realization that she was discriminating against humans without actually getting to know one. She had never met a human before. However, she did not need to. She already knew what they were like. Her father was a human. Bartholomew was never there, he never tried to be there. He did not think about her. He did not even care about her.
Elle was then hit by another memory. She had seen that man down by the creek, drinking out of it this morning. He was a human. Right? Yes! He had to be. He had fit all of the descriptions Elle had ever heard about.
“Actually, I have met a human.” Elle’s friends were shocked at the news. They also could not believe that she had not told them this before now. “This morning when I was on my way to the creek. I was fetching a pail of water. When the creek appeared into my vision, so did a young male. He was crouched along the river bed, his hands were cupped and he was drinking the water.”
Lonna and Freyr were captivated by her story with their curiosity. “What did he look like?” Lonna asked excitedly.
“He was much shorter than you and the others, barley above my height. His ears were much more rounded than ours are. And, and his hair was this ashy brown color, but lighter than your brown. Kind of a blonde that humans have. He also looked like he worked outside.”
“Wow,” Lonna was amazed. Elle shook her head in agreement, but hoped that they would think that it was something else.
“What is a low life like that doing all the way out here? We are thousands of miles away from the nearest human population,” Freyr pointed out snappy. Elle shrugged her shoulders and shook her head.
“What did you do next?” Lonna asked. “Did you walk up to him? Oh! Did you try to talk to him? Did he come up to you?” Lonna started wondering aloud.
“I just, kinda, hid,” Elle answered truthfully.” I watched him until he wandered away.
“Well, did he do anything interesting?” Freyr asked.
“He just drank the water,” Elle’s plain reply came.
“Well, I’m unimpressed. What a disappointment. I’m bored with this,” Freyr got onto her feet. “I’ll race you back to the market square.”
The girls leaped to their feet and darted towards the village with an expression of joy on their faces, and the thoughts of humans evaporated from their minds.
The following morning Elle woke before the sun had even rose. She prepped the vegetables and herbs that they would be trading at the market.
When her grandmother arose, Elle prepared breakfast and then they were off to the market square to set up their booth. The day was going by slow, but gradually it picked up pace as the day became older.
“Elle, dear, I’m going to go visit with Celio. Can you watch over the booth?”
“Sure. That would be no problem,” Elle smiled sincerely.
“Maybe I can talk him into a good deal for another stone bowl,” Mammaw winked as she teased Elle.
Elle released a deep breath. What to do? Boredom overcame her as she sat guard fort the vegetables. What to do? She reorganized and straightened her products to make them more presentable to the public.
Gelmir came up behind Elle, “Your vegetables look delicious.”
“Thank you,” she replied after she jumped from Gelmir’s unexpected arrival.
“It’s not much of a compliment. Your vegetables always look delicious. But, you want to know what? They are no comparison to you. You look beautiful today, Elle,” Gelmir said with a sweet smile.
Elle’s face turned a bright red. “Thank you.”
“But, then again that’s not much of a compliment either because you always look beautiful.”
“I do?” Elle wanted to hear that repeated.
“Of course. I cannot think of anyone or anything more beautiful than you.”
Elle blushed again. “Would you like to trade for some vegetables?”
“No thank you. I did not actually come over here for the vegetables. I just wanted to have a conversation with you.”
Elle smiled. “Well I am currently swamped as you can see, so you will just have to come back again a little later,” Elle teased pointing to the empty space all around her. They both let out a nervous chuckle.
“Well did you know that there is a little rumor about you rippling around the village?”
“Oh? And what would that little rumor be?” Elle asked.
“That you ran into a human yesterday.”
“Lonna!” Elle accused her loud mouth friend.
“Well, you of all people should know that anything that you say to that girl will become the village’s new gossip for the week. You should really be careful about what you tell her.”
“Yeah. I know. I know” Elle sighed.
“They say that the human that you saw had no ears, red eyes, and only two feet tall. Also, that the creek was its feeding ground where it ate all of the poor, helpless woodland creatures that dared to wander in its path.”
Elle rolled her eyes. “That. That is not even close to accurate.”
“Well, then, what was it like.”
“He was six feet tall, had blue eyes, and was only drinking from the creek. Goodness, that story got twisted.”
Gelmir let out a nervous sigh. “So, I was wondering if I could ask you a question.”
Elle shot him a sideways glance. “Sure.”
“Would you go to the Mid-Autumn festival with me?” Elle was shocked and the expression on her face showed that particular emotion. “I heard that they are having candle lit walk-ways and are catching lightning bug in jars to decorate the dance floor. That are bringing in beautiful flowers and all the leaves will be turning in the forest. It’s suppose to be absolutely breathe taking this year.”
The thought pleased Elle. It all seemed so romantic. Twirling in the moonlight to the live music, the lights around her shining causing her to glow. Her smile big and her heart pounding. Elle desired this moment, but did she desire this moment with Gelmir? She certainly did not desire it with any of the other elves and Gelmir was handsome. Why not go with Gelmir? Might as well try it out, right? But, what if the situation changes before then?
“May I give you an answer at a later date?”
“The festival is in three weeks though,” Gelmir urged.
“I will have an answer by then. I promise.”
“Well, alright.”
Mammaw walked over and interrupted the conversation. “What are you two chatting about?”
“Nothing Mammaw,” was Elle reply.
“Actually, I was just asking Elle if she would like to go on a stroll with me,” he looked down at Elle for her reply.
“Hey! Gelmir!” a distant voice called out. “Some of the guys and I were heading down to the Kacida. You wanna join?”
“I would love to go on a…” Elle was cut off.
“The Kacida? Yeah, I’ll be there,” Gelmir turned away from Elle to address his friends.
Gelmir walked away without a notion to Elle and started conversation with his friend. Elle could hear the two boys talk as they started off to the Kacida.
“So you got her in your clutches yet?”
“Not yet. A few more stupid lines and I think I will though.”
“Gelmir that’s…” his friend’s voice faded off as soon as they were out of earshot.
Elle felt unimportant and pathetic. She was bothered by the idea that Gelmir could walk away so easily. If he is in pursuit of me, shouldn’t he have stayed with me? Shouldn’t I had been the more important of the two? Is Gelmir even that interested in me?
“Well, that was just rude,” Mammaw spat out, reminding Elle that she was there. “I have a fondness of that boy, but his manners need improvement. His mother would pull his ears off if she knew how he acted.”
The image of Gelmir holding back yelps as his mother yanked on the points of his ears amused Elle to the point that she had to try to hold back her giggles.
“You’re right Mammaw.”
Just before sunset Mammaw excused Elle from market duty. “You look like you are under a lot of stress. Go to the falls and bathe. That will relax you.”
“But then you would have to bring home all the excess vegetables by yourself.”
“I can handle it.”
“I will just stay here and help.”
“You know stress leads to wrinkles. We do not want you to be ruining that beautiful face of yours. Now do we, Deary? If I need help, I will just ask Celio for assistance. Now go already.”
Elle left hesitantly, but also gratefully. A bath sounded magnificent. She walked along the creek bed until it widened and a small waterfall cascaded over some grassy rocks. Elle stripped herself of her clothes and submerged into the water. Leisurely, she made her way over to the waterfall and soon it was crashing over her head. Finally, she relaxed into the water.
Slowly, Elle began to forget about everything that had happened in the last couple of days. The human she had seen so close to home slowly faded to oblivion. Gelmir’s inconsiderate attitude at the market vanished from her mind. The memories of her mother resurfaced as she relived those short, but cherished, times.
The sun began to lower in the sky, indicating the nights approach. Elle was about to get out of the creek and allow the cool, crisp air to dry her when she heard a rustle in a nearby bush. Quickly, she whipped her head around to find the perpetrator. A wild rose bush a few yards away started to part. Sapphire blue eyes peeped out. A vile taste coated Elle’s mouth. She remembered those eyes all too well.
That incompetent being was still roaming near her home. Tainting the once pure air that lingered around her. Disgusted, Elle waited for him to leave. Though it only took him a few minutes to leave, to her it felt like a few hours.
When Elle returned home, she found herself alone. Her grandmother was still out with Celio/ she smiled to the empty sitting room. For as long as she could remember, Mammaw had been by her side for everything. Her entire world revolved around Elle. She was glad that her grandmother was finally going out again.
Making her way to her room, Elle decided to stop by her mother’s room. Ever since Jondoras passing nobody had stepped foot into her room. Today would be the first time in over a decade that the room would have seen a living elve. Slowly, Elle cracked open the door. A musky smell hit her as she stepped into the vacant room.
Nothing had changed. The room was the same as the day when Jondora was still breathing. The wooden vanity stood right next to the matching wardrobe. The double bed lay unmade as it did the day of her mother’s death. Not a single crease had vanished from the pale blue covers over the years. The room was plain, but held so many memories.

Jondora laughed as five-year-old Elle tried on her mother’s clothes. Trying to look like her mother was her favorite thing to do. To Elle her mother was the most beautiful elve that had ever lived. As much as she wished she could look like her she couldn’t. However, that didn’t stop her from trying.
“Mommy!” Elle exclaimed. “Look at me!” She twirled around in her mother’s wedding dress.
Jondora cracked a smile. “One day baby girl, you will be able to wear that on your wedding day. Then you can have your own children too.”
“Can I have two babies instead?” Elle asked.
“Of course you can.”
“Good because I want a boy too”
“Why do you want a boy? Boys are smelly and dirty.”
“Then I can have the boy look after the girl and that way she doesn’t get hurt. That’s what older brothers are supposed to do. Right?” Elle explained to her mother.
“That’s exactly what they are supposed to do.”
“Just like how Gelmir looks after me and keeps all the mean boys away from me.”
“Just like that, baby girl.”

Elle sighed as she drifted out of that memory. Who would have thought that she and Gelmir would ever be attracted to each other? Below she heard the door slam shut. Panicking, Elle rushed out, being sure though, to close the door behind her. Instead of running into Mammaw on the stairs, she was staring at Gelmir’s chest.
“What do you think that you’re doing?” Elle scolded him. “It’s nearing midnight and you are creeping up my stairs like…. Like… like some sort of predator!” He stared at her wide-eyed. “What do you have to say for yourself?”
“I saw Vanya with Celio and figured that I’d take the chance to apologize to you,” Gelmir offered his explanation, then continued. “The way that I left today was inexcusable. And I do not expect your forgiveness, but I am asking for it anyways.”
Elle was tempted by the idea of making him beg. Instead, she decided to be kind. “I may forgive you. Only, though, on one condition.” Gelmir raised an eyebrow. “Make it up to me. I don’t care how. Just as long as it happens.”
“I’ll work on it,” he smiled. “Until then, what am I to do?”
Elle gave a flirtatious smile. “I guess you’re just out of luck then.” She started up the stairs leaving Gelmir in a dumb-founded daze. Holding her chuckles in, Elle stopped to give him a chance to snap out of his trance. It took a couple of seconds for Gelmir to compose himself and get back to her side.
The next five minutes they sat in an awkward silence before either of them spoke. “How are you and Freyr friends? You two are the complete and polar opposites of each other.”

The author's comments:
This is the rest of Chapter one. After this I will be working on chapter two

"Freyr is snobby, stuck up and selfish while you, on the other hand, are kind, caring and loving,” Gelmir broke the silence. “I don’t even think Hell holds a candle to her.”
“We’ve always been friends,” Elle felt herself blush. Though Freyr was one of her best friends, what Gelmir said was true. Fifteen out of seventeen years she had been an only child, spoiled tremendously because of that.
“Well, I would love to hear the story behind yours and Freyr’s friendship,” Gelmir sat at the end of Elle’s bed. “And by the way Vanya and Celio were talking so it won’t be till dawns approach that she gets home. Besides, this story can’t be too long.”
Elle bit her lip while Gelmir stared her down. “Okay” she said wearily, and then began her story. “My mother and Hélène were best friend. In fact, Mammaw and Hélène’s mother were best friends. But anyways, Freyr is only a year older than I am and was protective when I was a baby. As soon as I was big enough to play with her and not hurt myself we were glued to the hip.”
“So you stuck by her side even though Freyr was disloyal to your twos friendship?” Gelmir questioned her.
“Freyr hasn’t been disloyal to me. She just doesn’t realize what her actions do to others,” Elle defended her friend.
“So, Freyr calling you a perfect, brown-nosing skank is being a good friend?” Gelmir challenged her.
“Freyr doesn’t know any better,” Elle stated. “She was never taught any better.”
“Of course not,” Gelmir muttered, which Elle took offense to. But, before she could say anything she heard Mammaw’s voice outside, bidding goodnight to Celio.
“Get under the bed!” Elle shoved Gelmir off the end of the bed. After she ushered him towards the underneath of her bed, she raced to the window only to find Celio fading away into the dark and Mammaw gone.
Elle’s heart pounded in her chest. She’ll kill me if she ever finds out an unrelated man was in my room! Especially if it’s Gelmir! Elle jumped into her bed and fought with the sheets to get them around her. Pretend to be asleep. Then Mammaw will never know. She heard the door open slightly. Her breath was caught in the middle of her throat, refusing to let her breathe. Mammaw sighed in satisfaction, the door shut once again. The air caught in her throat released and Elle gasped in relief.
Elle wait ten more minutes before getting out of bed to assure herself that her grandmother was not going to be coming back to check on her. Then she gracefully leaped out of her bed and urged Gelmir out from under her bed. She brought him to her balcony. “You can leave the cottage this way.”
“I had a nice time tonight. I hope you will forgive me,” Gelmir whispered in Elle’s ear.
“I expect you to work for it. Remember?” Gelmir gave a half grin in reply and then began to lean in. Elle took a step back without hesitation, but unsure if it was the right thing to do.
“What are you doing?”
“I was losing my balance,” Gelmir offered a quick explanation. “You know it’s getting kind of late and I must be getting tired. It’s all going to my head.”
“Well then you better be on your way,” Elle made a gesture to the balcony once again.
Without another word Gelmir carefully jumped off her balcony and ran towards the forest. Worried that Mammaw might just check up on her once more, Elle rushed to her bed and curled in into a ball. That night dreams eluded her dreams.

“Get up!” Elle awoke with a jolt as Freyr barged into her bedroom. “Get up! Get up! Get up!” She ripped the covers off Elle.
“I don’t want to,” Elle mumbled, throwing her pillow over her head, trying to fend off Freyr.
“Get up!” Freyr screamed. “My life is over! Get up!” Reluctantly Elle rolled out of bed and slowly crawled off the floor.
“What is so horrible that you had to wake me up and dawn? The sun isn’t even completely up yet.”
“It’s true!” Freyr wailed. “Father is marrying me off!”
“Why is that so horrible?” Elle questioned her. “Most girls our age are either planning there wedding or trying to get to get a man to marry them.” Then she started thinking to herself. Besides, it is not as if you will stay loyal to him anyways.
“Don’t you get it?” Freyr yelled. “It’s the Dwarves adopted son! He’s not even an elve! I’m ruined!”
Elle rolled her eyes. Freyr was being dramatic, and too dramatic at that.
“Why don’t you take a deep breath in and calm down?” She suggested.
“Calm down?” Freyr said through clenched teeth. “You expect me to calm down when I’m marrying non-elve?” Elle paused.
“Non-elve?” She asked.
“Yeah,” Freyr gagged. “Not like you have much room to judge. You’re a filthy half-blood.” Elle felt her face turn red. “Why couldn’t it be you marrying him?”
“Well, it’s you marrying him. Not me. So get used to that idea. Okay?” Elle snapped.
“A little touchy now are we? Well it is not my fault that your mother was a whore and slept with a human. Now is it?”
“Do not talk about my mother that way!” Elle roared.
Freyr froze before responding. “Well I thought you, of all people, would be sympathetic of my position. Obviously not.”
“Why, Freyr, would I be sympathetic? You came into my house, and then you proceed not only to insult me, but my deceased mother too. Deceased Freyr. Do you know what that means? It means dead. There is absolutely no way that could defend herself against your snide comments because you’re self-centered. You need to pull your head out of the clouds Freyr, and realize that the world does not revolve around you.”
“Some friend you are.”
“I am your friend, but, I’m not going to sugar coat anything for you. I should not have to.”
“Well, Elle, friends are supposed to be considerate and kind,” Freyr argued.
“They're also supposed to tell the truth,” Elle pointed out.
“Friends are not supposed to be mean.”
“Well, you're not exactly a ray of sunshine, Freyr.”
“Are you trying to say that you are better than me?” Freyr questioned Elle.
“No!”
“Then what are you trying to say?”
“I was just telling you that you're not very kind or considerate yourself. So, why do you expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to treat you that way?” Freyr stood there speechless. “Well? Aren’t you going to say anything?”
“I’ve got to get back home,” Freyr finally stated. “Father doesn’t know that I’m even awake, and I would like to keep it that way.”

With that Elle was alone. Knowing well that she would not be able to fall back asleep, Elle decided to go down to the creek. With the sun about to rise, the birds began to sing and the forest started coming back to life.
Elle couldn’t help but to smile. Some of her happiest memories took place in the woods. At the creek though, was the best by far though. She remembered her mother the best when she was around the creek. I may hate my father, but the way he and my mother met always amazes me. But not enough to forgive him.
For the next few hours Elle walked around, enjoying the view. The trees danced in the wind, the bright flowers attracted the insects. And nearby was a pool of water that became because of the small waterfall at the end of the creek. It was hidden by several groves of trees. Veiled by these groves were where all of the most beautiful plants grew and all the colors burst and mingled.
Elle took a deep breath in. his, according to her mother, was where Jondora first met Bartholomew. Where, every night thereafter, she would meet him. When she was younger, Elle imagined her father coming back for her, and that, she too, would meet her father there. But after years of bitter disappointment, Elle finally gave up on her dream.
Sighing, Elle sat down. She tried to forget about her father, but she never could. She resented the man for leaving her mother defenseless against her abusive husband she also longed for the father she never knew. That longing fed her resentment even more. He was heartless for abandoning his lover, and then, unborn child. Elle couldn’t comprehend how anyone could do that. Life was a precious thing, that all should cherish and help in raising.
And though her grandmother taught her not to, Elle still couldn’t help but feel hatred towards the man. He used her mother for own pleasure and ran when he needed to commit. Bartholomew was selfish, self-centered and ignorant. His age may make him a man, but on the inside he was still a child who didn’t care about anyone or anything but himself.
“Why didn’t he care enough to stay?” Elle whispered to herself as a tear rolled down her face. Deciding that she had had enough memories and self-pity for one day, Elle slowly made her way back home.

Once Elle arrived home she found her grandmother digging in the garden. “Where did you disappear to?” Mammaw questions her teasingly. “I heard Freyr come in, and once she left the next thing I knew was that you were gone too.”
“I went for a walk,” Elle replied in a whisper.
Sensing her granddaughter’s distress she didn’t press the subject. Instead she changed the subject. “Gelmir just stopped by. He wanted to talk to you, but since you weren’t here he wanted you to meet him at the market square.”
Elle nodded her head and took off towards the village. She didn’t know how long Gelmir would have waited for her, or when she was actually suppose to meet him, but the fresh air would be good for her mind and well being.

When Elle got to the market square Gelmir was sitting exactly where Mammaw said he would be. Though Elle thought that her hear should be lighter, it felt heavier when she saw him. Elle could not figure out why her heart felt that way though. So, instead of turning around a running away she put on a false pretense and greeted Gelmir like she really did want to be there.
“Elle!” Gelmir’s face lit up as he said her name, which only made her feel worse.
“Gelmir,” Elle mirrored his enthusiasm. “So, Mammaw said that you stopped by.”
“Yeah,” he started turning a bright red. “I wanted to speak to you in private though.
Elle’s heart jumped in her throat. “Um, okay?”
“Do you have an idea of where we could go?” he asked.
“Yeah. Actually, I do,” Elle replied. “Just a few miles away from my home. That’s if you don’t mind, that is.”
“No! Not at all! Just lead the way.”
Not sure of herself, Elle nervously lead the way to where her parents first met. For the first mile that walk in silence. Just as though they had nothing to say to each other. Finally Elle couldn’t take the silence anymore.
“How’s your week been?” she questioned him.
“Slow. Until harvest season starts there's not much to do. But the corn has thrived this year. There will be more than plenty to get everyone through until next year,” Gelmir responded.
“Well, that’s good,” Elle nodded her head.
“But with so much more than we normally have we have to drop our prices. Or give more corn in our trades.”

“Why’s that?”

“Otherwise the village will quit buying our products and competition will rise,” Gelmir explained. “Haven’t you and Vanya had to go through that before?”
“No.”
“Oh. Well yeah, but all is well. We will manage. After all we always do.”
“That is true,” Elle agreed. “So, when will your crops be ready to harvest?”
“Few weeks. A month at tops. Then I will be swamped.”
“If you and your mother ever need help, Mammaw and I are more than willing to do so,” she offered.
“That’s kind of you, but I do believe that we will have that covered. But if we do, you will be the first person I find.”
“I’m sure you will,” Elle smiled.
“Elle?” Gelmir said hesitantly.
“Yes?” Elle asked without looking towards him.
Gelmir gently grabbed her wrists, which brought her to a halt.”I have put all my effort into pursuing you. I looked after you and I still do. I’ve tried to charm you with words and shower you with compliments. I don’t know what else I can do to make you realize that I want to be with you, Elle. I’ve been there for you through the hard times, and the good. I’ve been and forever will be by your side. Through thick and thin. I love your smile and your laugh brightens my mood no matter what kind of day I had been having. Every time I look at you I am overcome by desire the desire just to run my fingers through your hair, caress your smooth face and bring your irresistible lips to mine… what I am trying to say is that I’m calling upon you Elle. I want you to be my girl.”
Elle stood in silence and could feel the color coming to her cheeks from Gelmir’s speech. As the minutes slowly ticked by Elle could see Gelmir’s confidence falling.
“That’s… that’s a lot to take in Gelmir,” Elle eventually mumbled.
Elle noticed that his hopes had been dashed and he took off towards the village.
Gelmir had always been there for Elle. When she was old enough to understand why she was different, Gelmir had been the first person who was not family to accept that fact. And then he had proceeded to defend her when everyone else tried to push her around because of that fact. Freyr included.
And when her mother died, eight-year-old Gelmir comforted six-year-old Elle, and mourned Jondora as if he had just lost his mother along with his father. He was her big brother, for lack of better wording. Never had Elle thought that Gelmir would actually ask her to be his. She didn’t want the person who had stuck by her side through it all. The one person who had never wavered from that path.
With Gelmir fading away, Elle started to panic. If she didn’t go after him now, she didn’t know if she would ever be able to get him back. Even as her friend. With that thought she raced after him calling out his name. When he finally noticed Elle coming after him he stopped.
“I’m so sorry that I didn’t give you an answer right away,” Elle started her explanation, “but I was shocked, even a little scared. I don’t want to lose you. Besides Mammaw, you really are the one who has stuck by my side through everything. Not even Freyr stuck by me when everyone wanted to shun me. You stood by me, even though my father is a human. You helped me get through the fact that I didn’t have a father by sharing about what happened to yours. You are the one who brought me out of my shell when my mother died. All this time I thought of you has my big brother. Now, I think that all this time I really have liked you. I guess what I am trying to say is that I want to be your girl, and--” Gelmir cut her off with a kiss. “Well, I guess that is the nice way of telling me to shut up.”
The next few hours they spent remembering their past and what they wanted for their futures. The sun was creeping steadily behind the land, creating a florescent sky. As Gelmir walked her home holding her hand, Elle felt that it should have been a perfect ending to a fairytale day.

Elle awoke to the birds chirping and the sun arising to meet the people and get the day started. It was a typical morning for Elle, but she felt strange. Did I make the right decision? I’ve been friends with him since I was a child. Did I say yes in fear of losing that friendship and not for the feeling of love and lust? She knew that the word of her and Gelmir now being a couple was going to spread fast. And Freyr was going to be livid about it.
When Elle walked downstairs, her grandmother had just finished breakfast. “Good morning Mammaw,” Elle smiled. “You must be in a good mood today.”
“We can just say that I am hearing bells,” she winked. “Glorious, golden bells.”
“You heard?” Elle winced.
“Of course I heard! He asked me for permission,” Mammaw kissed her cheek. “And I think that it is absolutely wonderful. I can see the great-grandbabies already. They will be adorable.”
“Slow down there. This all just happened last night. There is no wedding in the near future.”
“I’ll give it a month,” she argued. “Then we shall see who is correct.”
“Okay,” Elle sighed. There was no use in arguing with her grandmother. She was practically in love with Gelmir and had wanted him and Elle to get together. She could, but only to be shot down again.
“So any plans for the day?” Mammaw asked.
“Not at the current moment,” Elle replied. “I thought that maybe I would just stay home today and catch up on chores. I’ve been gone most of this week, after all.”
“It’s alright dear,” Mammaw, countered her offer. “If you want to go out today you may.”
“No. Really, I do not want to. I need to stay home.”
Her grandmother sighed. “If you insist I won’t press the subject.”
Elle noticed her grandmother’s pause. This, usually, meant that she was up to something. “Please tell me the wheel of ideas is not spinning g around in your head.”
“I was only thinking,” she said acting offended. “But, yes. ‘The wheel of ideas’ was spinning.” Elle groaned. “Now don’t you start complaining. I was only going to invite Gelmir and his mother over to dinner. But, if Alya finds out here soon we will be going over there.”
“You two are dangerous when put into the same room,” Elle pointed out.
“Oh, pish-posh.”
“Do you remember last Mid-Autumn festival?”
“No one was hurt.”
“No, the Alaric only lost the remainder of what was left of his hair.”
“He forgave us.”
“His hair still hasn’t grown back, Mammaw.”
“Well… I…” she stuttered. “Well, he still forgave us. And that’s that.”
“I really don’t feel like watching you all night.”
“That would be unnecessary.”
Elle gave her grandmother an unbelieving look. “That’s what you think. But this is enough of that conversation. I'm going to get water now. I will be back in a little while.”
Elle snatched the pail and began her daily chore of fetching the day’s water from the creek. A few steps away from the creek Elle’s casual stroll was interrupted.
“I knew I could find you here! I just knew it!”
Elle froze, her grip loosened and the pail tumbled to the ground. Her eyes were large and her mouth dropped open in shock.
It was the human she had seen at the creek. Is he stalking me?



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Jan. 11 2012 at 1:47 pm
Nissa-Marie BRONZE, Kettle Falls, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life's a race to see who can get to finish line last"
"Enjoy life... No one gets out alive."

I'm still writing more. There is going to be an add on for chapter one that I am almost done with. But thank you

on Jan. 10 2012 at 11:42 pm
ILoveWritingAlot BRONZE, E, Other
3 articles 5 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every end is a new beginning;
What a caterpillar calls an end the rest of the world calls a butterfly;
There never was a good war, or a bad peace.;
“People will believe anything if you whisper it.”
“Where words fail, Music speaks”

I THINK YOU SHOULD'VE ADDED CHAPTERS INSTEAD OF WRITTING ALL AT ONCE...BUT OTHERWISE IT IS 5 STAR FROM ME!! :)