The Perfect Soldier

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 Next »

IV

It didn’t take long for the soldiers to race out of sight and back into the darkness of the night. Matt was in shock; He had no idea what to do. His brother was just shot and kidnapped by invading soldiers. He had no idea what to do.

“What do I do? Why did they take Shawn? Where did they take him?” Questions raced through Matt’s mind as the adrenaline was pulsing through his body.

He ran over to Shawn’s car; hoping that the keys were left in the ignition. No such luck. He rushed to the storage unit of the house and opened the large door. He quickly removed an old dusty tarp from over his father’s rev-cycle, a three wheeled vehicle with extreme speed and control. He ran to the desk and grabbed the keys and started the rev-cycle. He jumped on and quickly sped off, following the direction of the soldier’s truck.

“They went east, towards the forest.” Matt thought to himself as he turned unto the road and sped off. Blazing down the road at nearly 100 miles per hour, Matt could begin to faintly see the taillights of the truck, way off in the dense forest. He slowed down to avoid being seen by the soldiers and the risk of being shot at. Matt trailed them about five miles when the truck made a quick, sharp turn. When Matt turned onto the same road as the soldiers had, he couldn’t believe his eyes. A huge fortress like structure under construction was in the middle of the forest.

Surrounded by chain link fences layered by sharp razor wire. Armed guards surrounded the entrance to the stronghold. Matt could see three huge buildings at the center of the stronghold and soldiers by the hundreds all over the place.

He came to a screeching stop on the rev-cycle and parked it behind a bushel of large trees. Out of the sight of any of the guards he peered around the tree to watch the fascinating facility.

He saw the truck that took Shawn go behind the building on the right and he started slyly dashing through the forest, avoiding being seen. He reached a side of the facility where no guards would see him.
He looked up at the fence, examining the intimidating razor wire atop the fence. He slowly made his way up the fence and carefully maneuvering over the fence, avoiding the razor wire cutting him up. He failed to avoid all of the razors; he had a minimal number of cuts across his arms, legs, and torso, but without significant blood loss, he made it to his feet on the inside of the stronghold.

With soldiers patrolling all over the place, Matt quickly ran to the building on the right, where the truck drove behind. All of the building looked exactly the same but this building had more windows and was slightly taller.

Matt quickly peeked into many windows. Many were empty and others had people sleeping in hospital beds. It was a hospital. Matt checked a window near the back of the building to see two doctors forcefully laying down a man on a bed and strapping him down with restraints. The man squirmed and squirmed but he couldn’t free himself. He turned his head to the window, it was Shawn. Matt and Shawn made eye contact and one of the doctors pulled out a needle filled with a red liquid. The doctor jammed the needle into Shawn’s temple of his skull and he fell unconscious.

“No!” Matt screamed as he smashed his fists on the window.

One doctor pulled out a handgun and fired at Matt. Matt ducked and the window shattered. Matt ran towards the fence where he climbed into the stronghold. Soldiers firing guns at him as he sprinted as fast as he could towards the fence. A blaring alarm echoed through the forest and red glowing lights flashed all over the stronghold.

Matt quickly made his way over the fence, not caring about the sharp razor wire. He dodged most bullets as he ran through the trees, but one penetrated his leg and he collapsed to the ground, but he shot back up to his feet and ran back to the rev-cycle. He started the vehicle and quickly sped away. Getting home as fast as he could, he didn’t notice the amount of blood he was losing.

By the time he made it back home and put the rev-cycle back in the storage unit, he had lost so much blood that when he walked into the house he collapsed, unconscious. Emily, who was sitting in the living room reading a book ran to Matt’s aid and helped his limp body into the car and drove him to Verosha General Hospital.

Matt was coming in and out of conscious, not understanding anything Emily was saying.
“Shawn…Vigilance…kidnapped…” was all Matt could mutter before he fell back unconscious.

writer112358 said...
Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm:
I agree. It's a good story, but don't tell as much. Show the reader the same information in the first page as part of the progression of the plot.

gavinbob said...
Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm:
I really like the names and vocabulary. Perhaps you could not explain so much in the first page. Maybe just get into it a little slower. Explain everything on the way; as the plot is progressing.

fk[s said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:35 am:
Too much information on the first page.