The Perfect Soldier

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 21 22 23

XVIII

They arrived back on Veroshian shores three days later and went back to the Miller house. There was no sign of Vigilance anywhere. They went to the basement and Mr. Miller opened the floorboard revealing the safe. He opened it and found his notes still there, they couldn’t find them.

“Matt, would you like the honor?” He said as he pulled out a lighter.
“No, Emily should.”
“I agree, Emily.” Mr. Miller said, handing Emily the folder and the lighter.

She set it on a steel table and lit it on fire.

They turned on the radio and the man said Kalhoun had surrendered their siege after Vilroy’s death. Everyone cheered and laughed.

Everyone told everyone what everyone had to go through over the months of turmoil.

“Shawn, how much do you remember?” Mr. Miller asked.
“Well, I remember them kidnapping me, then I remember Vilroy talking about you and Emily and I regained control.
“Thanks Shawn.” Bryton said.
“Don’t thank me; I caused a lot of this.”
“No you didn’t my power hungry brother did, no one is to blame for anyone’s problems.” Mr. Miller said, looking at Bryton hanging his head.

“Bryton, I know you think you’re to blame for Amy and your parent’s deaths, but you’re not.” Mr. Miller said.
“I know. I have no family left.”
“Of course you do, you’re going to stay with us.” Mr. Miller said.
“What?”
“You’re living with us from now on, if you want.”
“Really? That would be great.”
“Then welcome to the family.
“Jason, Brooklyn, call your parents, tell them you’re alright and when you’re done I’d lie to speak with them.” Mr. Miller said, handing them a telephone.

Jason and Brooklyn ran upstairs and came down a few minutes later and handed the phone back to Mr. Miller.

“Hello, my name is Mr. Miller, I realize you live in Kilmona but I would like to personally pay for you and your kids to move next to me and my boys, niece, and Bryton. I will be paying for the supplies to build a house next door. Our kids have been through a lot together and have become very close; I don’t want to tear that apart.”

Everyone was silent, they could hear a woman speaking on the phone and Mr. Miller was nodding his head.

“Sounds great, I’ll see you guys soon. Have a safe trip.” He said as he hung up the phone.

“Jason, Brooklyn, welcome to Verosha, your new home. Your parents agreed to move in next door and help me build your new house.”
“That’s awesome!” Brooklyn yelled excitingly then kissed Matt.

Everyone stared amazed and confused.

“Oh, by the way day, this is my girlfriend.”
“What?!” everyone yelled.
“Since when?” Bryton asked.
“That night on the boat going to Kalhoun.”
“Well now you tell us?!” Jason yelled happily.
“Sorry!” Brooklyn said with an enormous smile.

The war ended and Jason and Brooklyn had officially moved in next door a year later. Matt, Bryton, Jason, and Brooklyn formed an inseparable bond that year, they were always together.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 21 22 23

writer112358 said...
Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm:
I agree. It's a good story, but don't tell as much. Show the reader the same information in the first page as part of the progression of the plot.

gavinbob said...
Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm:
I really like the names and vocabulary. Perhaps you could not explain so much in the first page. Maybe just get into it a little slower. Explain everything on the way; as the plot is progressing.

fk[s said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:35 am:
Too much information on the first page.