New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

A Dark Blade Waits

Author's note: This started out as a school project, and, over the course of two years, was expanded into what it is now.
Author's note: This started out as a school project, and, over the course of two years, was expanded into what it is now.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next »

Chapter 6

“Breaking news. There is a killer on the loose in Madrid. Stay indoors t all times. Do not go outside unless the circumstances are dire. More as the story unfolds.”

Kraysha, armed with Maledetto, went on a rampage through Madrid. Using a combination of Kraysha’s fearsome powers, and Maledetto’s lethality, they slaughtered anything and anyone that was unfortunate enough to be out at the time, creating a thick crimson creek through every street. They continued, until they grew bored.

“Why must we stay here, where there is no resistance? I have heard of a country called America, which has the best military in the world.”

“Then let’s go.”

Getting the image of a woman, and an aluminum baseball bat was easy. Kraysha had the power over the mind, so she could just fool the mind to substitute the desired image. Getting to an airport in near-by Toledo was easy. Actually getting on the plane was hard.

“Ma’am, I’m going to need your passport.” said the ticket checker.

“My… passport?”

“Yes ma’am. And please hurry. We have a lot of people waiting. There’s a killer in Spain, and everyone wants to get out before they get here.”

Kraysha had to pull some strings in the man’s head, and after a second, he said “You may go through. I am sorry for bothering you.”

Then, Kraysha reached the baggage check. She followed the example of the people in front of her, and put her bag, containing Maledetto, in bat form, on the conveyer belt. Then, she stepped through the metal detector. As soon as she set foot in it, it sounded off, as if she had enough metal to make an airplane on her.

“Ma’am, I’m going to need you to step to the side.” ordered a heavy-set female security guard. Kraysha just stood there, confused. What was that awful beeping sound?

“Ma’am, please step out of line.” Kraysha still did nothing.

“Ma’am, I’m going to ask you one more time. Please step out of line.” Finally, Kraysha obliged.

“Follow me please. And let me tell you, if you try to run, I can shoot you, and you won’t like that.”
Kraysha took one look at the guard’s gun, and thought “I’ll take your word for it.”

After searching for 10 minutes, and finding nothing, the guard finally let her go.

“What could have set off the alarm?” the guard thought to herself.

MayaS. said...
Chapters 10-end: Definately not a typical ending! That was a really powerful twist!!! The descriptions of Caligos were really awesome, I could picture him perfectly!

MayaS. said...
Chapters 7-9: The episodal style is great and keeps the story moving, except sometimes I don't get to know the characters enough. The paragraph in chapter 9 when Maledetto explodes - "Sending glassy water and watery glass everywhere....the metal migrated to the stalls, piercing through plastic....buried itself 4 inches into the wall" - was my favorite part, really well-written.

MayaS. said...
Chapters 4-6: I was a little confused at how the sword ends up in such an unsecure location in Madrid. Tom was a great character, until, well... Your story reminds me a lot of a book I read called Elric of Melnibone by Micheal Moorcock; it's a fantasy about a sword with superhuman powers that possesses whoever uses it. You'd probably like it! :)

MayaS. said...
Chapters 1-3: This is definately an engaging and well-written story so far. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of "bolts of silk" and "hair as black as a new moon." Also I think there were some allusions ("perfumes of Arabia" and lol "Prancing Pony.") There were a few anachronisms here and there in chapter one, but chapter 2 was absolutely fantastic. Chapter 3 was a bit of a jolt from the earlier writing style, though. Can't wait to see what happens... (more »)

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
To begin I thought that your description of the environment in the first chapter was awesome. Your writing throughout was very fluid and I especially enjoyed the department of curious contraptions, where you have created a place for all mythical objects. =) The transition from the hotel in Ch.4 to the field in Ch.5 seemed a bit quick. Other than that its really good.