A Dark Blade Waits

Author's note: This started out as a school project, and, over the course of two years, was expanded into what it is now.
Author's note: This started out as a school project, and, over the course of two years, was expanded into what it is now.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next »

Chapter 2

Over on the other side of the city, residing in the Palace was Lord Robert John XI. Now, Lord Robert John was not a very good fencer, yet he insisted on practicing, so he broke a lot of swords. At that moment, he broke the last one in the whole Palace.

"Confounds and curses tenfold!" he screamed. This was the twelfth sword he had broken this morning. "Page!"

"Yes, mi'lord?" said a shrimp of a boy who only came up to the Lord's knee, and the Lord was not a very tall man.
Maleïda- Can't remember what language, roughly translated to "goodness"
He had just been promoted from apprentice to page this morning.

"Bring me the finest sword, immediately!" Lord Robert John bellowed as he flung a coin purse at the page. The page tucked the coin purse into his cloak, almost fell into the Lord's lap as he bowed a little too low, and ran out of the Palace. "My first errand! Where should I look? I know, the Market! There's bound to be a good sword there." It just so happened that the alley that the page chose was the one that Maledetto sat. When he laid eyes on the sword, he was mesmerized. He picked it up like a starving man would pick up a crust of bread. As he tucked the sword into his cloak, a silky hiss twisted through the page's mind.

"You sure don't want to give me to the Lord, do you? Why don't you find another sword to give him?" The voice belonged to Maledetto, and was highly persuasive. The page continued on his way, acting as if nothing happened, except for the fact that he would look over his shoulder every once in a while, just to see if someone was following.

Several weeks later, the page was found in his bed, deader than a doornail, with his eyes a fiery red, his previously blond locks darker than a new moon, and his tanned skin was a pasty white. Doctors swarmed him like flies on a raw piece of meat, trying to find the cause of these abnormal changes, but they found nothing out of the ordinary. By law, all of the pages few possessions now belonged to Lord Robert John, so he came down to the servants quarter's to claim his booty but the doctors blocked the door with all they were worth.

"What if this was caused by some unknown disease, and you catch it? You have no wife, much less an heir."

"I don't care!" Lord Robert John roared. Using his bulk (of which he had a lot of), he smashed his way into the room. "Everyone out!" he commanded. As the room cleared, Lord Robert John looked around for something of value, like a family heirloom, or a bauble that could be sold as something of of high value. He found nothing. Looking under the bed, his eyes spied Maledetto. Lord Robert John was not a very intelligent man, so Maledetto took hold of his mind almost instantly. Maledetto's bewitching purr echoed through Lord Robert John's fairly empty skull. "I have big plans for the kingdom, your lordship. Big plans..."

In the middle of Lord Robert John's tyrannical, yet oddly intelligent reign, a maid walked into his chambers, and saw him face-down on his desk. Thinking he was asleep, she rolled him over. When she saw his horrible metamorphosis, she dropped his laundry on the floor. What she saw were eyes redder than blood, skin whiter than the morning cream, and his hair, which had all fallen out onto his desk, was blacker than any midnight hour.

After the initial shock wore off, she called out "I know you're here. Tell me where you are, or it will just end badly for you."

“What do you want, foul worshiper of Maleïda?" Maleïda was one of the heathen gods of goodness, thus the sworn enemy of Maledetto, and protected the maid from Maledetto's mind consuming abilities.

"I want you to tell me where you are, you corrupted thing!"

"Under the bed."

The maid reached under the four poster bed, and, sneezing from the dust that errupted into the air, picked Maledetto up.

"Where are you going to take me, do-gooder?"

"You will find out soon." The maid exited the now deceased Lord's chambers, hiding Maledetto under her skirt, took a left, another left, down a stair case, a right, up two flights of stairs, and through an old, warped oak door.

MayaS. said...
Chapters 10-end: Definately not a typical ending! That was a really powerful twist!!! The descriptions of Caligos were really awesome, I could picture him perfectly!

MayaS. said...
Chapters 7-9: The episodal style is great and keeps the story moving, except sometimes I don't get to know the characters enough. The paragraph in chapter 9 when Maledetto explodes - "Sending glassy water and watery glass everywhere....the metal migrated to the stalls, piercing through plastic....buried itself 4 inches into the wall" - was my favorite part, really well-written.

MayaS. said...
Chapters 4-6: I was a little confused at how the sword ends up in such an unsecure location in Madrid. Tom was a great character, until, well... Your story reminds me a lot of a book I read called Elric of Melnibone by Micheal Moorcock; it's a fantasy about a sword with superhuman powers that possesses whoever uses it. You'd probably like it! :)

MayaS. said...
Chapters 1-3: This is definately an engaging and well-written story so far. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of "bolts of silk" and "hair as black as a new moon." Also I think there were some allusions ("perfumes of Arabia" and lol "Prancing Pony.") There were a few anachronisms here and there in chapter one, but chapter 2 was absolutely fantastic. Chapter 3 was a bit of a jolt from the earlier writing style, though. Can't wait to see what happens... (more »)

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
To begin I thought that your description of the environment in the first chapter was awesome. Your writing throughout was very fluid and I especially enjoyed the department of curious contraptions, where you have created a place for all mythical objects. =) The transition from the hotel in Ch.4 to the field in Ch.5 seemed a bit quick. Other than that its really good.