A Dark Blade Waits

Author's note: This started out as a school project, and, over the course of two years, was expanded into what it is now.
Author's note: This started out as a school project, and, over the course of two years, was expanded into what it is now.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 13 14 15

Chapter 15

The soldiers were about two miles away when the fighting started. The assault force comprised of a few minor gods, just to see how good the humans were. These minor gods were not very powerful, and the soldiers gained the advantage quickly, After a few minutes of battle, the minor gods were on the ground, battered, bruised, and surrendering, while the soldiers had not even broken a sweat. Little did they know that the real thing would be much, much harder.

“They were victorious with little effort, sir.” Said the lookout.

“Good. It’s been so long since we have had a battle worthy of us. Everyone,” he called to everyone. “Prepare yourselves for a battle that will be remembered for millenia!” The pantheon of gods cheered and screamed their approval. “Move out!”

“We have arrived in Fair Park. Everyone stays on hi-” the commander said, before he burst into flames and burned to a smouldering stain in the concrete.

“Watch out!” someone screamed, and spells were flung everywhere, obliterating rides, buildings, statues, anything that stood between magician and target. Screams and shouts fillled the air as sacreds words of Magic intemingled with curses in a multitude of languages. The soldiers relied on their most powerful magics, and cast with deadly precision, but they were still being picked off one by one. And still they fought, knowing that, should they lose, their entire existancxe would lose along with them. But the gods were simply too powerful. Soon only the three most powerful remained.

“We need to cast It.” One of them said his voice a grave whipser.

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.” He He cried out “For America!” then plunged into syllables of an unknown language, his hands contorting into signs and shapes. The other two reluctantly followd suit, calling upon an ancient power.

Soon, a circle of power surrounded them. Any spell that hit it was diffused into the circle, giving it strength. The circle grew, and got more powerful, distorting the air arround it, creating a tension, like lighting about to strike. With the utterance of the final word, the circle fell back on itself, consuming its creators, who went without a gasp. Then, it exploded outward, a mighty wall of untamed might, devouring everything it encountered, destroying gods, left and right, above, and below.

The gods shrieked and ran, flew, burrowed, anything toi escape the impemnding tidal wave of destruction, but all their efforts were in vain. The cries were cut short as they were dissolved in an instant, leaving nothing, not even a wisp of smoke.

After the shockwave, everything was silent. The wind was stilled, the birds silenced. And only one thing remained in the scorched plain that used to be a sprawling metropolis. Caligos stood, straight as a mountain, defiance eminating from every pore.

“A good try, but you’ll have to try harder next time.” He said to nothing in particular.

“And now, to single-handedly take back this world, this Universe, back, and make it anew!”

He raised his hands and swivled his head, so that the green eye looked upon the horizon, and caused the entirety of the world, and of all worlds, to break open, sending everything into an underworld. Every human, every piece of art, every book, every palace, every hut, everything ws swallowed into the heart of the Earth, into the empty world that the gods had left behind. Nothing was safe from the gappping maw that Caligos had summond. The Earth itself nearly rent in two, breathing in the creatures that lived upon its surfface for thousands of years, leaving it empty, broken.

Finishing this, Caligos put his hands to his side, and, with a single word, resurrected his legions of evil deities. One by one, they popped back into exsistance, their mouths crying their praises of the mighty leader Caligos. Then, they turned their fearsome power onto the rest oif exsistance. They snuffed out every star, dissolved every planet, emptied the entirety of reality of who, what, when, where, and why, leaving a husk that was once full of life and energy. They rejuvinated their own twisted world, leaving humankind to its fate, tucked into the wastland if the Underworld.

We had lost.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 13 14 15

This book has 5 comments. Post your own now!

MayaS. said...
Chapters 10-end: Definately not a typical ending! That was a really powerful twist!!! The descriptions of Caligos were really awesome, I could picture him perfectly!

MayaS. said...
Chapters 7-9: The episodal style is great and keeps the story moving, except sometimes I don't get to know the characters enough. The paragraph in chapter 9 when Maledetto explodes - "Sending glassy water and watery glass everywhere....the metal migrated to the stalls, piercing through plastic....buried itself 4 inches into the wall" - was my favorite part, really well-written.

MayaS. said...
Chapters 4-6: I was a little confused at how the sword ends up in such an unsecure location in Madrid. Tom was a great character, until, well... Your story reminds me a lot of a book I read called Elric of Melnibone by Micheal Moorcock; it's a fantasy about a sword with superhuman powers that possesses whoever uses it. You'd probably like it! :)

MayaS. said...
Chapters 1-3: This is definately an engaging and well-written story so far. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of "bolts of silk" and "hair as black as a new moon." Also I think there were some allusions ("perfumes of Arabia" and lol "Prancing Pony.") There were a few anachronisms here and there in chapter one, but chapter 2 was absolutely fantastic. Chapter 3 was a bit of a jolt from the earlier writing style, though. Can't wait to see what happens... (more »)

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
To begin I thought that your description of the environment in the first chapter was awesome. Your writing throughout was very fluid and I especially enjoyed the department of curious contraptions, where you have created a place for all mythical objects. =) The transition from the hotel in Ch.4 to the field in Ch.5 seemed a bit quick. Other than that its really good.