The Devil's Rose

Author's note: I've always loved fantasy. It's my favorite genre and I wrote this in 45 mins. I hope everyone enjoys it!
Author's note: I've always loved fantasy. It's my favorite genre and I wrote this in 45 mins. I hope everyone enjoys it!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

Never Go To Sleep Angry

Reno seemed unsure he should say to his friend. He knew Jeri never lied, and he can’t just say she’s crazy. And it all happened before her hand started oozing blood so I can’t blame it on blood loss. All Reno could do was listen and try to think of something to say to her. When Jeri had finished she waited for Reno to say something. She entangled her fingers together anxiously. Reno opened his mouth to speak then shut his mouth.
“So have you seen this guy in the suit before?” Reno finally said.
“Not before today. He knew my name though. It was strange I felt like he knew exactly who I was.”
“Well obviously he knows who you are Jeri. Maybe he’s a psycho stalker.” Reno thought allowed, “That would explain the rose and how he knows your name. Let’s just hope he doesn’t know where you live.”
“No one calls me Jerico.” Jeri disregarded her friends comment, “Even my teachers and parents call me Jeri. Well unless I’m in trouble.” Jeri gazed at her hand. It was wrapped in unevenly cut white bandages. Although it was only her finger that was hurt, Reno wrapped her entire hand.
There was a long silence between them until Jeri heard the front door open. “Jeri? I’m home! Did you eat anything for dinner?” It was her mother. Jeri rolled her eyes as she heard her mother’s high heels clomping towards the kitchen.
“I hope you didn’t eat anything for dinner,” her mother said as she entered the kitchen, “because I brought home pizza. I figured it would be easier than making dinner. Oh hey Rol- I mean Reno”
“Whatever mom I quit making dinner for you guys. You’re always ‘too busy’ anyways.” Jeri muttered under her breath. Reno lightly kicked her shin.
He very quietly whispered, “Look I know you aren’t close with your parents, but at least you still have your real parents.” His gaze shifted from Jeri to the floor. It had been almost a year since his parents were murdered. Exactly a year this Wednesday. The sixth. Jeri grimly thought. She sighed and nodded. They both had been ignoring Jeri’s mom while she was talking.
“-then I told her ‘No, hun, those shoes don’t match with your top.’ But she bought them anyways and she went to the VIP Award’s tonight wearing the shoes with that ugly top. Anyways what did you kids do today?” Her mother went on as she handed them both a slice of cheese pizza.
“Thanks Mrs. Silverstone. The pizza smells great. It’s from Andre’s Take Out right? Oh! Did you get the stuffed crust?” Reno hastily changed the subject while admiring the pizza. He and Jeri always went to Andre’s. They were regular costumers there. Jeri’s mother smirked and set down the pizza boxes in front of them.
“Of course Reno. Andre’s has the best pizza in all over New York,” Mrs. Silverstone said, “And the one you’re eating isn’t stuffed crust. That one is actually the new one with the bacon bits under the cheese. It’s pretty good. Jeri you’ve been awfully quiet. How was your day?”
“Fine mom.” Jeri mumbled avoiding her mother’s icy gaze.
“It was a great day today Mrs. Silverstone.” Reno chimed in, “In fact it was a fantastic day. Actually it was-”
“Reno, shush for one moment please.” Mrs. Silverstone interrupted, “Jerico, sweetie are you hiding something from me?”
“Don’t call me sweetie! You wouldn’t care if I got hit by a car today as long as I didn’t scratch my two hundred dollar watch. Just do me a favor and stay out of my life. That should be easy for you since you hardly pay attention to me.” she shouted at her mother then bolted out of the kitchen straight to her room. She slammed her door shut and fell to her bed. Not only did she shock her mother and best friend, but she shocked herself to. Jeri never yelled at her parents like that. No matter how many times they left her alone or completely ignored her, she never yelled at them. Jeri felt the anger boiling inside of her. She grasped her pillow tightly in her arms. Her nails dug deep into the pillow causing five little rips on each side. Jeri’s breath quickened as she began to think of all the times her parents fought in front of her or disappointed her in some way.
Jeri thought about the time when she was twelve years old. It was November 6th, the day of her birthday, and all she wanted was for her parents to spend the day with her. Jeri asked for a big chocolate and red velvet ice cream cake with pink whipped cream frosting, blue gardenias, red sprinkles and purple ribbons all around it. The best part was the entire thing was edible. Belle and Tiff’s Catering had delivered the cake. It was exactly what Jeri asked for and more. Little Jeri knew it was going to be the best birthday ever. Inside the cake box was an envelope that had her name on it. She recognized her mother’s handwriting. She took a note out of the envelope. Jeri didn’t have to read the whole note to know what was going on.
“Dearest Jeri, happy birthday! Sweetie pie, I’m sorry but daddy and I aren’t going to make it to you’re birthday. I would allow you to have you’re friends over but dad and I forgot to send out the invitations. I left them in the glove compartment of my car. DO NOT eat the cake! We’ll eat it when dad and I get home. Its pretty though isn’t it? I am truly excited however. I got invited to a party….”
A tear slowly fell from Jeri’s eye. She couldn’t believe her parent’s had ditched her on her birthday. Jeri ripped the note into small pieces and threw them in the air. She stopped to the kitchen and yanked open one of the drawers. The drawer flew from the wall and fell to the floor with a loud thud. All the silverware in the draw clanged together loudly. Jeri grabbed the drawer and dumped all of the forks and spoons on the floor. She searched the metal mess for her favorite fork. It had a flower design on the handle and it made Jeri feel fancy whenever she ate with it. After a couple long minutes, Jeri gave up the search and grabbed the first fork she saw. She rushed to the cake and began eating. The chocolate cake tasted better than any cake she’s ever had. Jeri almost forgot that the cake was supposed to be chocolate and red velvet. That just added to her anger. Throughout the rest of the day, all Jeri ate was cake. And whatever she didn’t eat, she threw at the walls and furniture. When the sun finally fell low in the sky, Jeri, with little effort, climbed the stairs to her room. She was covered in cake but she didn’t care. Jeri lay on her bed grasping her pillow tightly. It wasn’t long before her soft cherry shaped pillow was soaked with tears. Never go to bed angry. Her mother’s words kept ringing in her ears. Hearing her mother in her head only made her more upset with her parents. Jeri snatched the cherry pillow her father had given her and threw it across the room knocking over a two hundred dollar ballerina figurine her mother bought her years ago. Seventeen year old Jeri watched her younger self cry herself to sleep as if the memory had played in front of her like a movie. She watched her mother and father walk in the house together at midnight laughing as if everything was alright. They laughed until they saw the mess that started in the kitchen then moved throughout the house and trailed up the stairs. Younger Jeri woke up to the sound of her mother screeching and naming off all her priceless valuables that were now ruined. Older Jeri turned away as the part when her father stomped into her room and yelled at her came up. She placed her hand on her cheek and forced the memory to end. Watching the emotional pain is bad enough. She didn’t want to watch the physical pain too. Jeri lay back on her bed as tears rolled from her eyes and landed in her dark brown hair. Never go to bed angry. The words echoed inside her head as she slowly fell asleep.

BluBirdWriter13 said...
I LOVED IT! You should really do a sequel I would lovee it and I'm sure others will too.

BreatheInsanity replied...
Sept. 15, 2012 at 1:30 am :
Thank you! Working on a sequel right now :) Really hope you all like it.

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:54 am:
wow! I love the descriptive writing, and the dialogue is great (I Find that the hardest part) I agree with timekeeper, Jericho as a girl's name is super cool and creative! *****!

marchbutterfly said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 3:15 pm:
I've only red a few chapters but already I can tell your a great writer. Your characters are so well developed.

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your writing is very detailed, and I forgot I was reading after awhile. Also, Jerico's relationships with her parents and Reno were well crafted.

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm definitely appreciating the longer, more fleshed out chapters compared to your earlier novel. I like the creativity of using Jerico as a girl's name, and I enjoyed the recurring red imagery. It was very thematic and it helped create a cohesive work.

Tinyclaw said...
Very good you are a really talented writer

PinkSkittlezInMahMouth said...
OMG i cant believe no one has commented on this!! great story!! keep writing!