The Devil's Rose

Author's note: I've always loved fantasy. It's my favorite genre and I wrote this in 45 mins. I hope everyone enjoys it!
Author's note: I've always loved fantasy. It's my favorite genre and I wrote this in 45 mins. I hope everyone enjoys it!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

The Man In the White Suit

A cool gust of wind shot past Jeri as she walked herself home from a place most teenagers her age would call prison. A place called school. Jeri didn’t mind school though. She loved her teachers and to her, school was her safe haven. It was her home away from home. Although she didn’t have many friends, Jeri’s life was pretty normal. Roland, Jeri’s only friend, usually walked home with her but today he had band practice. “It’s not just band practice, Jeri; it’s a way of life. My future and going to be super successful, career.” Roland often would proclaim whenever Jerico questioned his “way of life.”
As Jeri shoved her white and gray ear buds into her ears, she had a daunting feeling that someone was watching her. I’m in New York City in the middle of the day of course there’s going to be at least one person looking at me. She assured herself as she pulled up the hood of her bright red jacket. Jeri disregarded the feeling and blasted Asking Alexandria on her MP3 player.
Walking through New York alleys never bothered Jerico before. She was always safe and carried two bottles of pepper spray and a stun gun when she walked alone. As she passed one of the sinister grimy alleys, she noticed there was a man standing in the dark gazing at her from afar. Jerico froze in her tracks and held her breath. He was about twenty years old and had hair that was as black as the night but the way it was cut made him look younger. The man's face was admit ably handsome. And his golden eyes were gorgeous. Like dazzling rays from the sun, Jeri blushed embarrassed by her own thoughts. She noticed he was wearing a pasty white suit and a crimson red tie that hung from his neck. Almost growing bored of the fair skinned man that had been staring at her for over five minutes, Jeri took a step forward. “Jerico.” The strange man’s voice was hushed but frightening. Jeri froze once again as a prickly feeling inched its way up her spine. She yanked her headphones out of her ears letting them dangling by the cord leading to her jacket pocket. She had heard his voice over her booming MP3 player. An uneven grin appeared on the man’s face as his golden eyes gleamed at her. He lifted his arm from his side and extended it before him reaching out for the petrified girl. Jeri watched him twirl his fingers into a fist. “Jerico. Jerico my sweet,” the stranger whispered through gritted teeth. Jeri was horrified. This man knew her name and was beckoning her to go to him. Before she could turn and run down the street, she felt a hand on her shoulder.
Jeri let out a frightened yelp and jumped forward, pepper spray in hand. She sighed in relief. It was Roland. “Reno, what the heck you scared me half to death. I thought you had band practice today.” Jeri glared at her friend and did air quotes when she said “band practice” knowing it would bug him.
He kept his gray eyes on his shoes as he kicked a rock forward. “Practice ended early.” Reno mumbled.
Jeri raised an eyebrow and grabbed her friend’s arm forcing him to stop and look at her. “Did you get into another fight with Emir Ferguson?”
“Maybe.” Reno shrugged as he shoved his hands into his sweater pockets.
“Reno you can’t-”
“This time it wasn’t my fault!” Reno protested, “All I did was suggest we make a few minor adjustments to the band.”
Jeri sighed. Her voice was full with irritation after she remembered the last time Reno got in a fight. “Alright. At least this time I don’t have to put cover up on a black eye or hide another bloody shirt.”
“There wasn’t a lot of blood and it wasn’t even mine,” Reno announced triumphantly, “Emir only got one shot in at me.” Reno then gave his friend a confused and worried look with a hint of suspicion in his eyes. “What are you doing in front of Ravenor’s alley? You know gangs hang out here. Are you hurt?”
“I’m fine. Just a little…. spooked that’s all.” Jeri muttered remembering the odd man in the white suit.
Reno looked slightly shocked. “Since when does the great Jeri, who isn’t even afraid of Walking Torture part 1 or 2, get ‘a little spooked?’ ”
“Those movies are lame Reno. And since I started getting stalked by strange men in white suits.” Jeri snapped pointing down the alley. Reno raised an eye brow and gazed down the dim alleyway. “Jeri, there’s no one there,” Reno half mockingly stated. He placed his hands on his friend’s shoulders and turned her facing the alley. Empty, Jeri thought, completely empty. She breathed a sigh of relief and bewilderment. “Jeri? Are you feeling ok?” Reno seemed concerned. “Peachy,” Jeri quickly muttered, “just peachy.”
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

This book has 8 comments. Post your own now!

BluBirdWriter13 said...
I LOVED IT! You should really do a sequel I would lovee it and I'm sure others will too.

BreatheInsanity replied...
Sept. 15, 2012 at 1:30 am
Thank you! Working on a sequel right now :) Really hope you all like it.

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:54 am
wow! I love the descriptive writing, and the dialogue is great (I Find that the hardest part) I agree with timekeeper, Jericho as a girl's name is super cool and creative! *****!

marchbutterfly said...
I've only red a few chapters but already I can tell your a great writer. Your characters are so well developed.

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your writing is very detailed, and I forgot I was reading after awhile. Also, Jerico's relationships with her parents and Reno were well crafted.

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm definitely appreciating the longer, more fleshed out chapters compared to your earlier novel. I like the creativity of using Jerico as a girl's name, and I enjoyed the recurring red imagery. It was very thematic and it helped create a cohesive work.

Tinyclaw said...
Very good you are a really talented writer

PinkSkittlezInMahMouth said...
OMG i cant believe no one has commented on this!! great story!! keep writing!