Moirae

Author's note: Started for a school assignment, this piece took off in my mind and became this story.
Author's note: Started for a school assignment, this piece took off in my mind and became this story.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Chapter 2

The man heard a sound, like a thousand nails falling upon a tin roof. He turned; the field was empty. He was alone. He shivered.
“I must have fallen asleep,” the man muttered. He bent to pick up a blue coat at his feet and a quiet sound could be heard as something shiny fell out of its pocket.
“What’s this?” The man picked up a small charm that looked like an ancient sewing spool. A drop of blood fell from his ring finger where the ornament cut him. He shoved it into his pocket, staining his Armani suit. “Gods!” he snarled. The grass crunched as he began to walk.
“The one I love the most,” the man wondered. “Why would I dream that? I love no one,” he scoffed. A seagull screamed. The man jumped and bit off a gasp. He was surprised to find himself on a beach. Waves lapped at the dark sand and sounded like the scratching of fingernails on a wooden desk.
“Help!” The man looked out at to sea and struggled to locate the person who had cried out among the swelling waves.
“Please help!”
It can’t be, he thought. “Where are you?”
There was no answer.
Must have been my mind playing tricks on me. The man hesitated, but then continued walking, cautiously, as if he thought he would be attacked at any moment.
“Beware the one you love the most.”
He spun, looking for the owner of the voice.
“Beware your love.”
He saw only darkness.
“Beware,” the voice screeched in his ear.
He screamed.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »