Test Subject

Author's note: Please finish reading the chapter you are on, or else I'm sure you will be very confused! And...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Please finish reading the chapter you are on, or else I'm sure you will be very confused! And everything has a purpose so don't judge me please! ;) Happy reading!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Prologue

“Hello, welcome to BioTech, what can I do for you today?” the smiling dark haired woman behind the desk asked.
“I’d like to visit my daughter, Ivy Lewis. I’m Fiona Lewis, her mother,” Fiona sighed. The woman typed up a pass and printed it out. She handed it to Fiona and showed her the way. They walked down many white hallways with white doors, and dark hallways with dark doors. After walking for three minutes, they came to the glass hallway where behind glass walls and glass doors, were glass tubes with humans inside.
One tube was labeled “Ivy Lewis : Subject 4XC79F0038”. The young, sixteen year old girl was floating in the tube of water with her eyes wide open. All she wore were her undergarments, as extra clothing could mess up the experiments. The girl stared forward with big black eyes, and her dirty blond hair floated around her like a cloud. Bubbles escaped her nose, but she wasn’t actually breathing. “Hey baby,” Fiona whispered standing directly in front of her daughter, but behind the glass wall that separated Fiona from the tube. “I know I say this every time I come, but I know what you must think of me. Please don’t. They took you from me. I couldn’t stop them.”
The girl floated silently, staring as if through her mother. Then, from behind her, two men in white slid the tube onto a flat, hovering surface, and took her away. Fiona was distraught. Where were they taking her daughter? She screamed and hit the glass telling the men to put her back, but they didn’t listen, and she was taken out by security. On the steps of BioTech, she sat crying for two hours. This wasn’t fair; it was perfectly acceptable to walk into someone’s house and take their eight year old daughter away, but it wasn’t acceptable to let the mother see her daughter for more than a minute ever?
It was very rare for Fiona to even get a day off from work, and when she did, she wanted to see her only child who couldn’t respond in any way. Not a blink, not a twitch of a smile, not even a slight nod just to indicate that she knew her mother was there. After a few hours, Fiona hailed a cab and sped off back to her house.
Car rides now days were quite fast. Cars drove themselves at one pace, but that pace was way over a hundred mph. Every car hummed as it sped down the road, but it was a calming and soothing sound. Car accidents were greatly decreased from this invention.
The cab dropped Fiona off and she walked inside. She had to kill an entire day. How was she supposed to do that? The bed was hard and lumpy, the refrigerator was warm, the walls were moldy, and this was her house. Jobs didn’t pay much anymore, and money wasn’t even used. There were cards that held everything from your identity to all the money in your account, which in the current economy was very little. They were clear cards made of glass and indestructible plastic. The glass was what held all the information, and the plastic surrounded it, protecting it.
This was ridiculous. Fiona wanted to see her daughter and she would. She hailed another cab and rode back. “I was here a few hours ago to see my daughter, Ivy Lewis, but she was taken away. I want to see her now!” she demanded.
The woman typed the name into the computer. “Sorry, no Ivy Lewis in the system.”
“I was here just a few hours ago!” Fiona screamed. Where was Ivy? Fiona began to freak out and she shoved everything off the woman’s desk in hysteria. She screamed and cursed angrily until she was finally arrested, and told she would never see her daughter ever again.

vegangirl0725 said...
This is a really great story, I love stuff like this.

Emiri said...
I really like the plot. You're really good wtih naming things and coming up wtih futuristic gadgets and cultural things. I think that you could use more specific detais instead of generalizing events into one paragraph or so. Indirect characterization and all that stuff. Otherwise, i like it.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 6:21 am:
This is really good! I think it will make a great book, keep writing!

AnimaCordis said...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 1:36 am:
Oh gosh! That's so sad! I really like it, for improvements i would use less rehtorical questions, but maybe that's just me. Otherwise it's wonderful and i want to read on.

DoctorWhoFan827347 said...
This is really good! I can't wait to read more.