The Book of Skrython | Teen Ink

The Book of Skrython

November 5, 2011
By Kimmycam, Lubbock, Texas
More by this author
Kimmycam, Lubbock, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imperfection is Beauty; Madness is Genius. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely Boring."-Marilyn Monroe


Author's note: This novel is written for my favorite English Teacher and good friend Sarah White-Racz. Thanks for helping me find myself.

I awoke with a start, aware of the sound of breaking glass downstairs. I flung my blanket to the floor and jumped up. Apparently my reflexes weren’t as awake as my brain was so I stumbled to the door, almost tripping over my own feet. I bounded down the old stairs and peered around the corner to see Scott, my dad which didn’t deserve the usually affectionate name, throw a lamp at my mother, Anna. She screamed and ducked behind the couch, holding her knees to her chest, tears streaming down her thin cheeks.
“Scott! Stop please!”, My mother cried, as Scott threw another object at her. I ran down the rest of the stairs and crawled quickly to my mom. Her hands were bloody and she had a gash on her forehead. She looked at me with fear stricken brown eyes.. A trait I, unfortunately, did not obtain. My face burned with anger. I ran out from our hiding spot, not bothering to consider what might happen. My mother might not have been the best, but at least she cared for me a little.. Maybe..
“Scott… You’re drunk.. Please drop the vase and calm down. You are frightening mom and I.”, I pleaded with my hands extended as a useless sheild. I took slow steps toward him, his chubby face red and his hair a mop of disarray.
“I am not drunk! What would you know? You are just a child. Stand aside and let me and your mother settle things like adults.”, He replied, The word child hung deep in my thoughts, like a dark cloud. I hated the word. I had never been a child in any sense. I had always been very mature. If anyone was a child, it was him. My vision blurred red. Suddenly, everything around me began to seem sharper.. As if time was slowed immensely.. Before I could realize what was happening I was two feet from Scott, my fist slamming into his skull with a sharp crack. I gasped as he fell to the floor, my vision returning to it’s normal state. I saw my mom rise and scream asI bolted for the door, heading anywhere except school and my parents. I sprinted down the walk and grabbed my skateboard, jumping onto it, flying into the road.
In my haste to get out of the door I had grabbed my bag off the floor. I slung the strap over my head before I dropped it. I turned down an alley and flew past the bakery I loved to go to everyday before and after school.
I skated to the gas station and to the pay phone. I pulled a quarter from my pocket and slipped it into the slot, picking up the receiver, and dialing my best friend’s number. The ringing seemed like it lasted forever until finally she answered.
“Hello?”, She said, sounding very surprised.
“Jess. I need to talk to you. Now. Meet me at the warehouse in five minutes, and don’t be late. Something happened so this meeting is NOT an option. Do you understand?”, I commanded her sounding like I was doing some kind of drug deal or demanding ransom for something.
"Uh, okay. Meet you there in 5.”, She replied.
“Oh. And you might want to pack some money, and clothes.”, I said, clicking the phone off before she could reply. Rudeness was not something I needed to care about because who knows how much I have on my plate at this point. All I know is it’s gonna be too much to finish. I slammed the phone down and walked into the little store. The cool air in the building surrounded me, sending a wave of cold down my spine. I shivered and walked to the back of the store. I grabbed a jumbo bottle of water and a box of granola bars and headed for the front counter. I pulled out my tattered tan wallet and paid. I walked out of the store, back into the intense heat. I threw my skateboard down and pushed off the sidewalk, flying into the vacant street again.
How much trouble am I in? What am I going to do? How many people are after me right now? Questions circled my brain, trying to be solved by my imagination, which I was shutting out. I skated around a corner and down a narrow passageway between two buildings. I flew through many other paths until I skated into a bigger one and stopped at a big metal door surrounded by trees, invisible to people on the road. I knocked 4 times followed by an intricate drum pattern. The door opened. Jess stood there with a look on her face that just begged for explanations.
“I know Jess, sorry for such short notice and sorry for hanging up on you. Long story short, Scott and Anna got in a fight.. Again. I freaked, something happened, I punched his lights out and fled the scene. Which brings us here. Any questions?”, I explained reassuringly.
“What was the fight about?”
“I don’t know”
“Why did you run?”
“If Scott weren’t unconscious, he would have hit me back. Plus my mom would have gotten so mad at me.”
“What are you going to do?” That was a question that begged to be answered. I could not answer is so I stood there silently.
“You should go back. Before you find more trouble haunting you.”, She finally said after an eternity of silence.
“No. I can’t. Unless of course you want me to die a most terrible death.”
“I have to go back home so unless a miracle happens, you are alone in this.”, She said, picking up her bag and walked around me.
“Bye, Lynna. Good luck.”
And she was gone. I still wish to this day I would have followed her advice. I didn’t know this might be the last time I would ever hear from her.

A tear escaped from my eye and slowly traveled down my cheek, my hair blowing wildly as I stepped out of the warehouse. What had I done? Ive ruined everything as I knew it. But I wasn’t about to go home and give up now. No. It’s time for me to show them what I’m made of. I’ll show them… I’ll show them all.
I ran out of the warehouse and looked around. I hopped on my skateboard and slowly made my way back through the maze of buildings. I skated back onto the road and made my way around town, making sure I was in the shadows. I skated through The Villa, the rich neighborhood that I had always wanted to live in. I skated around all the lovely gardens and green yards. I made my way downtown without realizing it, and to the shop where they sold televisions. I looked through the window and my blood ran cold. My picture was on T.V… along with a WANTED sign. I gasped and pulled my hood over my head. I picked up my board and sprinted to the alley.
What was to happen to me next? I threw my board on the ground and sat on it, pulling my schoolbag into my lap. I unzipped the zipper to grab my water. I gulped a third of it down greedily and pulled out a granola bar. I hadn’t had breakfast with the disaster this morning. I quickly ate it, almost inhaling it. I pulled out my wallet. Counting the little money I had, five dollars and twenty-five cents, a little part of me realized it was over, I was finished, and I was going to be grounded for pretty much the rest of my life.
I put everything back and skated slowly down the road. I skated down lots of roads, not really caring where I went now. Out of nowhere, a police car pulled up next to me on the sidewalk and two officers stepped out. One was younger, probably in his early twenties, with red-brown hair, he had a pale complection and was very thin. The other was an older man with grey tufts of hair covering the back of his head, the rest balding.
“Excuse me ma’am, but have you realized that you are concidered wanted and missing?,” The older man said, him and the other officer speeding up behind me. Panic struck me and before I knew it, my board was flying across the sidewalk, the officer’s car speeding up behind me.
I jumped over a knocked over trash can and swung and flew past a little girl. She was mouthing the word: “Woah!”. I grabbed ahold of a light pole and spun around in the opposite direction, the police car flying past me. I flew down a different road and looked back to see where the officers were. While looking back awkwardly, my board hit a concrete square that had been pushed up by a tree root. I went flying, watching the front of my board shatter into an explosion of splinters. I hit the ground hard and rolled for a second, finally stopping by a wall. The world was spinning in front of my eyes and I slowly closed them. My body went limp as my head began to shut down.
I awoke to the sound of my mother’s and Scott’s voices. I peeked my eye open to see we were in a hospital room.
“Scott, I know she punched you, but that doesn’t mean she has problems! She’s just… free spirited..”, Her voice trailed off in a sound of sadness.
“Yeah right Anna. You and I both know she has some problem in her head. She has to go. Anna, let her go. She will be going in the morning, okay? I’ll take her myself.”, He replied with a sour tone.
“But she’s just a child! She’s to young to be by herself in a place like that! Scott, please!..”, She begged.
“No Anna.”, And he walked out of the room. Sadness swept over me as I realized that this small peaceful town was no longer my home.

I watched Scott walk out of the door, not bothering to make sure the door didn’t slam. A hot tear escaped my eye and dripped onto my pillow. As if she could hear it, my mother turned around quickly and hurried to my side. She had stitches in her forehead, a blemish that will be there for a long time. Stupid Scott, why did he have to ruin my life? Her brown eyes were wide with confusion as she sat next to my bed in a chair.
“Honey, we need to talk.. I understand if you don’t want to do it now, seeing the state you are in that is..”, She said, her voice catching in the back of her throat. I always hated seeing my mother cry. Watching those perfect eyes turn grey just made even the hardest of people’s heart break. She could cry in front of Hitler and I bet he would shed a tear.
“Don’t Mom. I’m leaving. I heard it all. I guess I can’t help but going wherever it is you are sending me to.. Since you only go by what my freak of a father says..”, I interrupted, the betrayal rising in my voice. I turned on my other side so I wouldn’t have to see that… Look.
“Oh.. Lynna.. I’m so sorry.. I can’t get through to Scott, its as if all he hears is his own voice..”, Her voice trailed off.
“So make yours heard.”, I replied softly, sitting up in my bed. I noticed I had 6 stitches in my arm and a bandage around my shin. Suddenly, Dr. Holden walked in with his fancy clipboard and big white coat.
“Well Ms. Lynna, you are a very lucky young woman.”, He said scribbling something onto the papers in his hand. Yeah right. Lucky.. Ha! If I was lucky, my mother would stand up to Scott… Or maybe Scott wouldn’t be there at all. Maybe some body builder from Canada named Issac or a mechanic named Pablo. Not Scott.
“Mrs. Borden, or Anna if you wish, you are free to take her home. Her clothes are in the dressing room by the bathroom and her bag is on the hook next to her bed there. If you have any problems, just come find me.”, He said cheerfully. He stepped out of the room quickly, picking up another clipboard.
I stood quickly holding the bed for balance. I walked slowly over to the dressing room and changed into my ripped jeans and tattered t-shirt. I pulled on my socks and shoes and walked out, feeling much more comfortable. I walked over, grabbed my bag, and headed for the door. My mother followed close behind.
We walked in silence through the bright white glossy halls of the hospital. I hated these places, they smelled like cleaning supplies and old people. We walked into the carpeted room that was the lobby and towards the door. Scott was standing outside, smoking as usual. We walked to the counter to check out. While waiting in line I finally broke the silence.
“Where are you sending me?”, I asked in the simplest form possible, avoiding dramatization.
“Well honey, it is quite a nice place. Its in England, you have always wanted to-”, She started to say before I interrupted her.
“England!? England?? Do you really hate me that much? Or do I have that many so called “problems” that I have to be as far away from you as I can be?? Ugh!”, I screamed, a mix between anger and humility. I said it entirely too loud so the whole lobby was staring at us. I blushed cherry red and stormed towards the front door. I stepped out and walked to Scott.
“What is your problem??!!”, I screamed at him, pulling the top of his jacket down towards me so he could be at my level.
“What ARE you talking about?! Let go of me you psycho!!”, He yelled into my face. He tried to push me away but I wrapped my hands deeper into his jacket.
“WHERE ARE YOU SENDING ME?!”, I demanded.
“I’m sending you to a place where someone else can deal with your problems. Somewhere with other people like you that are shut away from the world. That is where you belong little girl.”, He sneered. I gasped, a piece of me dying deep down inside of me. My own father just told me that I belonged to be shut away from the world. That must be what every little girl wants to hear from her father isn’t it? I think not. I walked towards the car, yet another tear weaving its way down my face. It fell softly, sizzling on the hot sidewalk.

I slumped down in the car, throwing on my seat belt. My eyes blurred as I lost all self control I had. I began to cry.. not one of those sweet, sad little cries you see in the movies. I cried like normal people do, with the red eyes, the fountain of tears flowing all over the place, the horrid expression on my face. I clutched my bag in my arms, realizing my fate. Why me? What had I done to the world? These questions help continue my ugly crying. I put my face in my hands feeling like crap.
The car doors opened as my "parents" got in. The car started in silence and we began the awkward drive home. We past the gas station, the movies, the bakery-- Oh the bakery! How I would miss it.. I realized I would never have another one of their famous apple fritters, their wonderful pies and cakes, and I could never forget their doughnuts, the recipe passed down for centuries. I cried harder as thoughts of my troubled childhood passed through my mind. I have to leave this all behind. Jess, the dogs and horses, the birds that sat outside my window in the summer, the poor groundhog that lives in the small forest. I will miss them all terribly..
My thoughts were rudely interrupted by the car pulling into the bumpy driveway of our house. I got out and stormed inside the house.
"Hey, get your things, you're leaving. Today. Right now. Move it girl; the sooner you are gone, the better your mine and your mother's lives will be.", Scott said, an evil grin on his face as he leaned against the wall. I glared at him and walked up to my room. I began to weep again, seeing all of my possessions being ripped from their assigned spots and being thrown into my small suitcase. I wiped my eyes and packed as fast as possible. I stopped at a picture of Jess and I at softball practice. I looked carefully at her long flowing golden hair and her wonderful crystal blue eyes. She was always the pretty one-- with her dimples, her little freckles, her perfect hair, perfect cheeks, perfect everything! I threw her picture at the wall, shattering the glass on it. I gasped and ran over to the picture. I picked it up out of the glass and held it to my chest. I set it carefully on the inside of my wallet, folding it in half covering my face. I grabbed everything else and stuffed it in my suitcase.
I walked out of the door and looked back, taking in my almost empty room. I noticed I had left a picture of my mom and dad on my side table. I dropped my case and ran over to it. I picked it up carefully, examining it. I got furious just seeing them together so I threw it out of the window. I didn't regret it, after what they've done. I stormed out of my room.
I walked down stairs and grabbed my shoulder bag. I went in the refrigerator and got all the food I bought with the little money I got from mowing lawns. I started getting all of it and putting it in my bag.
"What do you think you are doing??", Scott said grabbing my bag from me.
"I'm taking everything I paid for. You aren't my parents anymore, just my roommates. So I'm taking all of MY stuff. Thank you!", I replied snatching the bag from him. I gave up trying to get everything and started throwing it in the trash. The refrigerator was practically empty as I shut the door.
"I'm ready now. Time to go to England I guess, right?", I said, tightening my jaw. I walked outside and loaded the car. I got in, patiently awaiting my fate.

After about forty-five minutes driving with the people I call parents, we finally arrived at Bondeu Airways. This airport went straight to England, and only England, to the institute I would be abiding at. We pulled into the parking lot and my mother turned the car off with a sigh. I looked at the building, the giant dull golden letters piercing their way into my soul. As if we all had the same thought, we stepped out of the car. I looked around the dusty abandoned parking lot, a tumbleweed blowing swiftly across the dirt. Why do I feel like I'm in a Clint Eastwood movie? I stepped into the tall building nervously.
An old lady with wispy white hair pulled up in a small bun, purple glasses that looked like she had them since the seventies, and a bright blue shirt with chunky, sparkly necklaces draped around her thick neck. She looked up and pursed her too-red lips.
"Can I help you?", She said to Scott.
"Yes, you can help me! Why else would we be here? I need this brat shipped to this little institute you have here. In England, correct?", Scott said, striking a nerve.
"Oh. Well my name is Dorothy and I will be your attendant today. In order for her to fly valid, you must fill out this packet, make sure she has ,or is, applied for a passport, make sure she has enough money for flight expenses, which I will explain later, and make sure she is of the age of thirteen or older.", She replied as I snorted. That was too much work for me. Ha! If they hated me, wouldn't they just throw me to a lion or something? Jeesh!
"Oh boy.. This is going to take a while.", Scott said beginning on the packet. I went and sat patiently on a little blue couch that smelled like flowers and cinnamon buns. After about ten minutes, I laid down on the couch and closed my eyes, envisioning what the institute would be like. Would I be locked in a cage and have a stamp on my forehead that said 'BAD EGG'? I don't know, nor did I want to find out. I wanted to go to the bakery and hang out with Granny Hannah and her grand kids. I wanted to stroll down the street and greet all my friends, then go out for a soda with Jess. That could never be now because I messed up. Or maybe it was supposed to be this way. Maybe God has a purpose for me. Maybe there is a plan for me... As these thoughts went through my head I slowly drifted to sleep.







|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|
"Honey? Lynna? It's time to go now dear. Wake up.", My mother said somberly.
"Huh?", I replied drowsily. I popped my eyes open and sat up, stretching.
"It's time to go now Lynna..", My mothers voice trailed off.
"Whatever.", I said coldly and stood up, walking past her. I grabbed my bags and stood there ready to go. Maybe things would be better once I got there. Dorothy stood and guided me to a door in the back.
"Right through these doors is a man, his name is Pierre. He'll take you to the plane once you show him this paper. Once on the plane you will sit quietly and not disturb anyone. You may not eat, drink, take off your seat belt, or make noise by any circumstances. You may say your good-byes and such now. You have five minutes to use the bathroom, get money, etc. Pierre is waiting. Do you understand?", Dorothy said handing me a blue paper with the word 'VALID' written boldly on it. I put it in my bag and headed for the bathroom, not even glancing at my parents. I went to the restroom and washed my hands. There's one minute. Four more. Great.
I walked to my parents and stood silently in front of them. A tear escaped my eye and fell softly to the carpet. I wondered how many children's tears were in this carpet.
"Oh honey don't cry! Please don't cry. It's all going to be okay.. It will...", My mother said suddenly, taking me into her arms. I stood there motionless, like a giant barbie. Another tear slowly made its way down my cheek.
"Yeah right mom. Bye. I think I'll skip the next three minutes. And Scott, I hate you with a passion and I always will. Good rid-dens. And you were never a father to me. I had no father. Bye jerk.", I said, looking into Scott's eyes with an expression of hatred.
"Lynna... I..", Scott began.
"NO. I will not take your pity now or ever! You are the one who was never there for me. You are the one who hurt my mother. YOU. You.. You are the one sending me out of your life when it was you who caused all of this. I bet you feel just great right now. Bye.", I said loudly. I ripped myself out of my mothers arms and stalked to the door. I turned around quickly.
"And mom, you really need to find some confidence and guts. You need to start sticking up for yourself. Bye.", I said coldly. And I walked through the door.

Have you ever had theat feeling theat you had done sometheing horribly wrong? Maybe even hurt someone beyond repair? Yeah, I have theat feeling as I walk to a man leaning against a closet playing withe a mouse theat had found its way onto thee counter. He wore a white shirt and blue jeans withe a pair of cheap sneakers. His hair was semi-long and a beautiful brown color. I cleared my theroat.
"Excuse me, but are you Pierre?", I inquired timidly. He looked up, his light brown eyes sparkling.
"Oh. Yeah. I guess I am! What can I do for you ma'am?", He replied withe a wink and a slight English accent. He flashed a bright white smile at me. I giggled and handed him thee paper Dorothey had given me.
"Aw. Why should a pretty girl like you have to go to theat horrible institute. You don't look like you could hurt a fly! Bah!", He said, examining thee paper.
"Yeah, well I guess it's out of my control..", My voice trailed off as I pondered what my motheer was theinking right now. I bet it was sometheing along thee lines of: "Thank goodness she's gone! She was horrible! We will have a much better life witheout her!".
"Well, I am very sorry for you love. I guess we should head off, eh? If we want to get theere before tea time tomorrow, we should get going!", Pierre said cheerfully. We walked quietly to a little blue door in thee back of thee room he was in. He opened it withe a loud screech and blinding light flooded thee dark room. We bothe squinted, our vision's adjusting. A blue plane became visible in thee distance. The door was open and thee engine was on. I shivered theinking about being really high up in thee air going really fast over tons of ocean. I shivered again. Pierre must have noticed my involuntary shivers.
"Are you cold my dear? I have several blankets on thee plane, if you want one. Do you need anytheing? Anytheing at all?", He said worriedly.
"No, I'm fine, just a bit nervous, theat's all. Thanks for asking theough.", I replied withe a smile.
"By thee way, I'm not actually thee pilot yet. My trainer is thee pilot for now, I am training to become one, so I wouldn't have to go to theat institute. They decided in thee school theat I had what it took. Plus I was a well liked boy at thee institute.", He informed me.
"How old are you Pierre?", I asked as we made our way slowly out in thee heat.
"Oh.. I'm 16. I'm really young so no one takes my piloting seriously.", He told me sheepishly.
"I see. I'm 14. And I take it seriously.."
"That's really nice of you.. Uhhmm.. I never learned your name.."
"Lynna. And no problem." We walked casually to thee plane. He took my hand and led me up thee stairs to thee plane door. I stepped inside, my stomach automatically began churning. He led my to a seat and I sat down, situating my theings in thee little compartment under my seat. The seats were purple and blue. The walls and floor of thee plane were lined in a fluffy carpet. I felt like I was trapped in a giant dust bunny.
Pierre walked quickly behind a curtain in front of all thee seats. I heard some whispers and theen Pierre came back and sat down in thee seat next to me.
"We are taking off now Ms.Lynna! Are you ready?", Pierre asked excitedly. His eyes were sparkling brighter thean ever, theen I realized how much he really enjoyed flying. I smiled warmly.
"I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be! I'm a little frightened of heights, theough... Is theere a lot of turbulence?", I asked nervously.
"Not really, but theat is just my opinion. This little plane couldn't fail us now! Its 30 years old... Oops..", Pierre replied, realizing theat he had just made thee flight a bit more frightening. I stared at him withe wide eyes.
"Th-the-theirty!?!", I stammered.
"I didn't mean to scare you!! I'm sorry. I ruin every one's trip.", He mumbled.
"It's fine, Pierre. I trust you. Notheing bad will happen at all!", I said quickly withe a smile. Then I felt thee plane shake and we began to move very quickly down thee long runway. I squeezed my eyes shut and grabbed Pierre's hand as thee plane leaped off thee ground. Pierre giggled quietly beside me.
"It's fine now Ms. Lynna.. You can stop breaking my hand now..", Pierre said laughing painfully. I opened my eyes and looked out of thee window and down at thee ground. There, standing by thee runway, was Jess. She was waving frantically and crying. A tear escaped my eye as I waved back. I wiped it away quickly and looked at thee fluffy carpet under my feet.
"Are you alright?", Pierre asked, patting my back softly.
"Yes, Pierre, Thank you."
"Just making sure..", He replied, looking out of thee window. I leaned back in my chair and let my eyes close. I felt Pierre leave, theen return withe a soft pillow. I laid my head on it and realized how tired I was. I began to drift to sleep as Pierre took my hand. Everytheing melted away into peaceful darkness and silence.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Sep. 3 2013 at 8:46 pm
Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 256 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Respect existence or expect resistance"

This is a very good book! I love your humor and perspective, and I can feel for Lyanna. (By the way, great names.) For future writing, I would suggest trying to stray from using 'I' so much to begin each sentence; although it really doesn't bother me too much. :) Please write more, I am very interested in this mystical institute you keep mentioning...