The Afterlife of Faylene Harps

Author's note: I really hope you guys love reading this piece as much as I enjoy writing it! :)
Author's note: I really hope you guys love reading this piece as much as I enjoy writing it! :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 Next »

Dancing on a pillar

Fay was in a dreamy state, however her mind slowly started to awake from its slumber. Slowly her senses started to come alive. It seemed as though they were trying to tell her something important, something urgent. Smells started to fill her nostrils, catching their attention. The place she was in reeked of sweat and determination, nothing like her bedroom at home. Then it happened, her senses came alive, sending a flood of realizations into her mind.

First off she was sleeping straight up. Second, she was hanging by one arm that was in agony.

When her eyes snapped open she looked around herself. Everything was pitch black. She was hanging by her arm, and someone’s death grip. She could tell she was high up, but she had no idea what her surroundings were because even the hand in front of her face wasn’t visible. She tried to look up and see the person gripping her arm but she had a pretty good idea who it was.

“Fay, are you awake? If you are can you uh, help me out and actually stand on the rafters up here?” Beck’s voice said, filling her ears. Where her eyes failed her other senses took over. She could feel him, the warmth of the touch of his hand to her arm, his soft steady breath. She could smell him. He always seemed to smell like a fresh summer breeze, cooling the day, signifying the start of the evening.

Slowly she reached up and grabbed the arm that had hers tight. Slowly he pulled her up. Something thick and heavy brushed against her leg. Putting her feet on it, she used it for balance and leverage as he pulled her up onto her feet. Once she was steady on what seemed to be a huge wooden beam. She tried to see if she could make any kind of detail that beck was there, however there was only darkness.

“You know, we’re alone, and it’s dark.” Beck’s voice said. She couldn’t help but smirk. What he couldn’t see wouldn’t hurt her. He began to rummage through his pockets.

“Don’t be a jack*ss.” She replied.

“Now where the h*ll are we?” All of a sudden the rummaging stopped and light went on right next to her. It almost sent her flying backwards into the abyss below her however she steadied herself and gave an annoyed look at Beck. He was shining the small flashlight up at his face, making him look stupidly mysterious.

“We are on the rafters of the Gym, where the team practices. It’s in one of the abandoned buildings of the Skipton Iron Works. It’s been fully restored on the inside by the bridges, but looks ready to crumble on the outside. So people stay out, and we go in.” he said. Fay looked around. It seemed to make sense, however she was still skeptical.

“Okay, well then how’d we get here in the first place, and why did I black out to do so?” she asked.

“I took you here with special transportation only available to a blood member of the bridges. However it’s only meant for one person travel, with two people, especially ones who have never used it before usually black out on the way. It can take you any location in the world. The only problem is that it’s unclear where in that location it drops you. . . .” he explained.

“You know, I still don’t believe you.” Fay said honestly. Beck just shrugged and pointed his light at a huge pool of oil right below the rafter they were standing on. Fay gaped at it.

“I landed right on the rafter you landed right next to it. You would have fallen into that if I didn’t save you, and gripped your arm to keep you from falling to your death.” He said. Fay had no idea what to say.

“Well . . .I . . .Uh . . .I . . .” Fay stuttered.

“Thank you?” Beck asked. Fay was about to give a smart retort when her conscience stopped her. He saved her life after all.

“Yeah, Thank you.” She replied. He smiled.

“Well I guess the only reason I did it was because I figured your jealous boyfriend will owe me. . . “he said smirking.

“Shut up!” she said, and was about to slap him, but restrained herself because they were both on rafters. He just laughed to himself at her pure frustration. There was a long silence that followed, than Fay broke it.

“So, how do we get off this death trap?” she asked. Beck turned around, and shined the light to what seemed like a hundred feet, past two pillars that blocked the entire rafter path, to a really dark small doorway with no doorway. Nothing was visible beyond it.

“Seriously?” Fay asked.

“No, there’s also a pool of oil at the bottom calling your name.” Beck said sarcastically. Fay gave him a look. He just smiled.

“Lead the way.” She said gesturing ahead. He gave her a surprised as if he didn’t expect her to take their alternative. He started down the rafter path. He walked on the beam, one foot in front of the other. He acted as though he had done this before which made Fay ultra nervous. He came to the first pillar, side stepping around it to the other side with ease, not even gripping the pillar. Then Fay approached it. Death, gripping it, she slowly brought her foot to the other side she made it over, just barely, using beck to keep her balance. They walked another twenty paces to the second pillar. Beck side stepped it with ease again. However as Fay death gripped it, and tried to bring her foot to the other side, both her hands slipped, and she started to fall. Then Beck was there, grabbing arm. He spun her in the air as if they were dancing up onto the pillar in front of him. She landed on her feet perfectly. She looked at Beck, amazed. He smiled and shrugged.

“How’d you do that?” Fay asked in disbelief.

“Besides amazing skills, I have no idea!” he said sarcastically. She just sighed, gave him a look, and turned around, walked towards the dark entry way. Beck shined his light into it. There were a row of tall gray lockers against a black wall. All of a sudden a light went on in the room, and group of teenagers started to swarm the lockers. The light hit Fay’s eyes burning them however she kept going and stepped into the room, Beck close behind. The teenagers turned to look at her, the same as the ones she had met that first night.

“Well, look whose back.” Torrin said, glaring at her.

“Guys, you remember Fay.” Beck said gesturing to her. Fay looked up feeling all their eyes on her. It took all her will power not to get red in the face.

“Yeah, I remember. Hope you told her about stealth training today, Beck. If you didn’t then she’s in for it.” Torrin said, grinning evilly at Fay. Fay tried not to tremble in fear, as she turned to look at Beck.

“Torrin! Stop it! Fay’s not in stealth training she’s only watching it!” Beck snapped back.

“What’s going on?” Fay asked. “What’s stealth training?”

“Lovers’ quarrel. . .” Edi said in a sing song voice. The others started to laugh, and chat about them. Fay used the distraction to round on Beck.

“Look, stealth training in simple. We get dressed in our gear in here, and then we go out into the gym, and hide from the light. If the light catches any form of our bodies then we get attacked. But don’t worry about it. You’re only watching us from the locker room. You won’t start stealth training until after you go on your first mission.”

“What’s the light? What are attacked by?” Fay snapped at him.

“The lights are spotlights in the ceiling that get larger and large every ten minutes until they can cover the whole area of the gym in one circle. As for the attackers, they’re ghosts who have agreed to stay on earth and help with the training program. . .”

“Ghosts!?” Fay asked.

“Yeah, but If we survive the attacks, then we win. However if you are able to hide from the light for exactly two hours then you win also. When you win you become a full fledged agent.”

“Alright, I mean as long as I don’t have to participate . . .” Fay said. Beck sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, you’ll be totally safe up here. It might be dark and a little scary for a while but you’ll get through it.” Beck replied. All of a sudden Torrin was there, her hand on Beck’s shoulder pulling him to the side.

“Hey Beck, better get your gear on. It’s four minutes before start time . . .” Torrin said, while she turned and walked away. Fay looked at the others, each of them with a locker open, putting on what looked like black spandex. Beck looked at Fay, then walked off to his locker at the end.

“Your locker’s that one.” Torrin said, pointing to a small beat up looking locker on the opposite wall next to the doorway. “It’s for the newbies.” Slowly Fay turned and walked over to it. It was like a normal old locker, except without a lock. Slowly she opened it, the inside containing folded up black clothes at the bottom. A note was taped to the door.

"Fay,
This is the type of gear you will need for your first training session. Even though you’ll only be observing, I want you to get a feel for your gear and how to wear it and use it. The gear, all of it is made of a special otherworldly material that allows you to be impervious to ghost attack and possession. Make sure it covers every inch of your body, and most importantly put on your goggles. This suit will allow no ghost to pass through your body and put you at war with your soul. Despite what you’ve seen on tv this can be painful and ugly, especially if a demon posses it. Even though this is only observance I want you to know what the gear is, how it works, how to put it on and use it, and what you can expect before your first mission. Also, take the night vision goggles I left for you. It will definitely help you to see how stealth training works.
sincerely.
Wolf"

Fay read the note again and again. It explained a lot, but not to the point where it told her how to put her gear on. By now the others were already shutting their lockers and starting to stretch. They’re black body suits were as skin tight as it gets, yet they put them over their clothes. It made no sense. Slowly Fay picked up the first garment. It looked like a spandex shirt about two sized to small. Slowly she put it over her head, stuffing her arms inside the sleeves. Once it was finally on her it started to shrink closer and closer to her body. It chocked her, for her clothes were in the way of her skin. However all of a sudden her clothes were gone and there was nothing between her skin and the cool spandex material. Fay looked at the others. Some started laughing.

“Weird Huh?” Sol asked, walking up her. “That freaked me out my first time too. It was like they were stripping me without my permission.”

“Uh huh.” Fay replied, nodding her head as if nothing was wrong about that statement. Slowly she turned away from him, and went for the pants. They were like spandex skinny jeans. When Fay put them on over her old jeans it repeated the same pattern as the shirt. Next came the spandex socks and gloves that attached to the pants and shirt, and a mask and the night vision goggles. Soon she was dressed like the others, except for the goggles, and stretching as well, smiling because she had figured it out on her own. Beck smiled at her, and she smiled at him then Torrin as if to say whose laughing now?

All of a sudden a beeping went off, like a fire alarm. The room went black and silent. Then above the door a red light started flashing. The others stopped stretching as if it were normal while Fay quaked in fear.

“Well this is it. Good luck to everyone except to you Fay. I hope you fail miserable.” She said, smirking at Fay.

“She’s only watching us Torrin! God why do you have to be . . .” Beck shouted, however Fay touched his arm gentle, stopping him, then looked at Torrin.

“Thanks for the support,” Fay answered sarcastically. Torrin just sneered at her as she started to run. She ran from the far wall straight through the door and onto the rafter. After that her body quickly vanished in the blackness. Then Beck came up, saluted to her, and also ran from the back wall, and out the door, disappearing into the blackness. The others followed, diving into the blackness, hiding in the shadows.

Everyone was gone and Fay was alone, seeing nothing except a split second of redness when the light flashed. The few seconds of red light scared her, as if there was a fire going on in some other distance part of the building, so she went out into the blackness. However the night vision goggles made the whole place as clear as day.

The Gym was absolutely enormous. The rafters crisscrossed in a maze all around her. She looked down to see foliage, and vines stretching up the walls. However some parts of the gym were desert like, some were Antarctic like. In fact it seemed at though different parts of the Gym were different climates. Trees popped up in certain parts of the foliage. There were occasional houses here and there. In the distance Fay could swear she was a glow graveyard. Where the ground and headstones glowed like a lantern in the night. However that was impossible, it must be something else. Instead she turned her head to the other side to see a huge vat of oil right below the spot where she and Beck first landed.

“He wasn’t kidding . . .” Fay mumbled to herself, as gentle noises and rustling filled her ears far below. All of a sudden a huge bright light came on right above her head from the ceiling, shining from where she had some. It light up the locker room, and slowly and surely traveled up the beam. Fay was going to get caught in its path!

If the light catches any form of our bodies you get attacked, Fay remembered. Quickly she grabbed the bean and swung herself around to the other side just in time. The light passed the spot where she was standing and traveled up the beam. Fay didn’t dare to move or breath, even though she knew in her mind that she had to get back to the locker room.

It started to scan the ground below her. Fay looked over her shoulder to see the light passing along the different parts of the Gym. Fay tried to see if it caught any of the others. It didn’t. However all of a sudden the light shut off, and another one turned on at the opposite side of the gym. It started scanning the beam that Fay was on. She quickly the middle beam and stepped to the other side again, however she stepped right into the light of another beam. She looked up into it but shielded her eyes from its power. However then there was something in the light’s way, making it dimmer. She looked up it again, looking at her in complete disbelief.

“Remember me!?” the old woman, from the road shouted. In disbelief Fay looked up at her. She came at Fay and was in her face in a fraction of a second, traveling faster than anything normal could. She made a creepy smile staring at her eye to eye. Fay jumped back in horror and surprise, losing her footing on the bean she tumbled into the open air and down into the abyss below. The woman followed her, dancing in the air around her, cackling with an evil smile. Then others joined her. Men dressed in old tailored suits and top hats laughed evilly at her and circled her as she fell. Fay closed her eyes, hoping that it was all just a realistic dream.

love_writingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this story!  One of my favorite pieces on teenink! P.S. I'm very new to this website and I'm wondering how long it takes for work to be published after you submit it.  Thanks. 

MeggieMillsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:12 pm:
Best story ever!!! Love it! Fay is the best!

CautionwetPaint said...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:56 am:

Hi everyone! Just want to let you know that the first five chapters of the sequel to this book is up on teenink. If you like this book then you'll definitely love the second!! :D here's the link . . .

TeenInk.com/novels/sci_fi_fantasy/book/93976/The-Afterlife-of-Beck-Lovett/

Tinyclaw said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm:
I love this book!! Have you started writing the second? If you haven't: START NOW!! If you have, can you post a link so i can find it? Pretty please? :P

CautionwetPaint replied...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm :

Thanks so much! The second book is actually still a work in progress. I have been so busy lately I haven't had time to write and keep up with other things also. However as soon as I am at least halfway through the second book I will definitely post it :) Do want me to post the link here once its up? 

Tinyclaw replied...
Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm :
yes please!! :DDD

CautionwetPaint replied...
Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm :
Okay, will do :) ps. The sequel will be up VERY soon. There are lots of surprises in it that you may or may not like . . . Keep your eyes peeled :D 

CautionwetPaint replied...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:58 am :
Hey, the first five chapters to the sequel of this book are up. Here's the link. I think I'm going to leave it up for a week or two then add more chapters to it. I really hope you like it! 

AnimaCordis said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 5:34 am:
I got up to chapter eleven, and will read the rest later. I liked your writing style and the plot so far. Most of all though I liked Fay, I sort of wanted to give her a hug all the way though, because she just taks on these problems without meaning to. I love how she just struggles on, uncomplaining and a little comfused. I also thought you named your characters really well, I thought espitally 'colt' was an original name, and perfect for his character! I can't wait to keep reading (althoug... (more »)

CautionwetPaint replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm :
That's what I was going for in fay! :) and thanks so much! A friend of mine actually named Colt. I asked her for a good boy name, and she said Colt so I used it. :)

Moonlitnight said...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 10:11 am:
awesome plot and the i love the way you work the two different realities together! Great job! :)

Moonlitnight replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 10:12 am :
i havent finished it yet, but i was wondering, how long is it?

CautionwetPaint replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
Hey! Thanks for commenting! On teenink it's about 20 chapters, and on word it's about 60 pages, so it's pretty long. so take your time with it. You don't have to read it right away.

Moonlitnight replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm :
Cool! Ok, why wont TI let me post just that?! Why should a comment be at least 10 characters in length?? sorry. anyway, I really love this story and hope i can finish it soon :))

CautionwetPaint replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:06 pm :
Ikr! So annoying! and thanks! me 2 :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 8:42 am:
I'm not yet finished with this, because it's quite long, but I did want to say that the plot for this is amazing. I'm excited to keep reading. Some of your writing could be fixed up. It's all small things, like keeping in past tense, because you did change to present tense at a few parts. Also, the story goes really fast, especially in the beginning. I'd like to get to know the characters a bit more. Maybe that's just me. But remember to show it, don't tell the reader what the character is like.... (more »)

CautionwetPaint replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
Thanks so much!

DamonSalvatore1864 said...
This seems to have a really great plot, and I'm excited to see where you go...

CautionwetPaint replied...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm :
Thanks! again, you'll just have to wait to find out :)

RayBaytheDinosaur said...
this sounds really really cool, and while i like beck, i really hope Fay ends up with Colt =) lols I'm intrestted in knowing what happens next