The Afterlife of Faylene Harps

Author's note: I really hope you guys love reading this piece as much as I enjoy writing it! :)
Author's note: I really hope you guys love reading this piece as much as I enjoy writing it! :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next »

Find Thomas!

A girl stood at the corner in angst. Her best friend Colt Brenner was late to the bus stop again. She had already held the bus for him twice. If he was late again the bus would leave without him, and he would have to run two miles to school. Not that he couldn’t do it, and make it school on time it’s just that he would burn energy later for basketball practice. All of a sudden a boy ran out the front door of a row home down the street. He’s got dirty blond hair that compliments his face perfectly, a fair complexion with rosy cheeks and big ocean blue eyes that sparkled in the light. He was built tall and strong, basically your typical hot jock.
The girl had heard many a time how Colt Brenner was by far the hottest guy in the 11th grade, not to mention the school, how she was living every girl’s dream, being his best friend and that they would probably end up dating because they were so perfect for each other. She just rolled her eyes. In her eyes Colt would be nothing more than a friend. At that moment he ran up to her, huffing and puffing.

“Hey Fay, am I late?” he said, his head in-between his knees in exhaustion.

“Yeah, about five minutes, but that’s five minutes less then yesterday. I mean I’m sure any competent athlete could do better . . .”she said looking away from him.

“Are you saying I’m not a good athlete?”

“Well . . .yeah.” Fay replied.

“You’ll never beat me if you have those baggy clothes on, forget to brush your hair, and yeah. To be honest, you forgot deodorant.”

“At least you didn’t say I smell . . .” he said optimistically.

“No, but I implied it.” she responded, smiling all the while. Colt just looked at her. Fay was always clean cut, and looked perfectly well presented in the mornings. She was about as tall as Colt was, a little over 5’8, had long, shiny, smooth, and wavy brown hair, she had big brown eyes that shined through her skin which was a little on the pale side. She was strong, and healthy looking but only because she plays three sports at once. Colt observed her friend carefully from her long legs in her jeans to the plaid flannel shirt, to her hair which was down and looked super long.

However while Colt just stared at her, Fay noticed something behind Colt a woman stood in the middle of the street, staring straight ahead. She seemed to be lost in thought, as if her mind were in another place. She was ghastly pale, winkled from head to toe, had a hunchback, and her eyes were glazed over as if she were deathly ill. She was standing right at the end of the street where it met the main road. However she had her back turned to the main road and was looking down the street as if scanning each row home.

“I’ll be right back . . .” Fay mumbled, as she stepped off the curb and into the street.

“Fay, where are you going? Fay?” Colt asked. However Fay had to talk to this woman to see if she was alright. If Colt had any sense he would follow her but he was acting as if she wasn’t there. However Fay’s mind wasn’t on her confused best friend, but on the strange old woman standing in the middle of the road. Fay approached her, but the woman didn’t acknowledge her existence.

“Mam? Are you okay? Mam?” Fay asked. The woman still looked straight ahead. Fay stared at her for a long moment, unsure of what to do. All of a sudden the woman’s head snapped to look at her with terrifying speed. It made Fay jump back three feet. Then she screamed. It was the loudest, most terrifying blood curdling scream Fay had ever heard. It wasn’t a sound any normal old woman could make.

“YOU CAN HELP ME!!!! . . . . YOU CAN HELP ME!!!! . . . FIND THOMAS!!!! . . . HELP ME FIND THOMAS!!!!” she moaned in-between the screams. She approached Fay while screaming, their faces only inches apart, her loud voice coming so close to hers. Fay tried to cover her ears but it was as if the sound went through the tiniest cracks in her fingers and to her ears. Over and over again she said “FIND THOMAS!! FIND THOMAS!!!” All of a sudden Colt was there. In an instant he had his arms around her, pulling her backwards until they both fell back onto the concrete. The bus zoomed around the corner and stopped right where she was standing.

“Oh my God, Fay! What was that? You scared the hell out of me! I thought you where committing suicide! Or going nuts in any case . . .” Colt shouted at her as he helped Fay to her feet. However his tone softened. She did not even realize it, but Fay had been crying the whole time the lady had been screaming. Tears now stained her face and made her mascara run. The bus driver came out of the bus. She was young, no more than thirty, and looked scared.

“Hey, are you kids alright?” she asked worriedly, rushing over. Colt looked at Fay who was awkwardly wiping the tears away.

“Yeah . . .yeah, I’m fine.” Fay replied, sniffling.

“Good. Now you know better than that. I’m going to have to report this incident. There may be consequences.”

“Right, I understand. I deserve them. I’m sorry.” Fay admitted, although she had no idea what she was sorry for.

“Good.” The bus driver replied, turning and heading back to the bus. Colt was about to follow when Fay stopped him in his tracks.

“Did you see that lady standing in the middle of the road?” she asked quietly, letting the question slip out before she could stop it.

“What lady? What are you talking about?” Fay could tell he was being honest. Colt had a funny little eyebrow twitch when he lied. As far as the eyebrow told, Colt wasn’t lying.

“Oh my God . . .” Fay mumbled to herself.

“Look Fay, Maybe you don’t feel well. Why don’t you go home?” he asked.

“No, I’ll be okay. I need to be around people to take my mind off of it.” Fay replied. As she said this the bus driver poked her head out the window and looked impatiently at Colt and Fay. The two were standing so close and talking so quietly that they looked as though they were professing their love for each other.

“Are you two love birds coming to school or what?” she shouted out the window. Fay and Colt looked at each other and took two awkwardly long steps backwards. At that moment everyone on the bus cheered and both Colt and Fay got seriously red. Then finally, they both got on the bus.
~ ~ ~ ~
Teenagers streamed in the front doors of Skipton High School like a great procession. It was hard to drown or get lost in the shuffle. However Fay never tried to stick with a group of people. She navigated the halls easily, gliding by people as if she were a ghost in the night. Being a 5th degree black belt can give you that skill.

She came up to her locker and fumbled with the lock. It always took her three times before she could actually get her combination right and open the lock. One of the things she was bad at, remembering. Fay fumbled with the books in her hand, switching them out for the books she needed for her morning classes. Finally she reached for a history notebook.

All of a sudden a small piece of paper fluttered out of her history notebook and onto the floor. She knelt down to retrieve it. Immediately she noticed it was different then a normal piece of paper. It looked older, because the color was an off white instead of a pure white. To the touch it was less pliable, as if she couldn’t bend it without breaking. Lastly the edges were burnt, making the paper look like a demented circle. It was turned face down on the ground. Slowly she picked up the note and turned it over. On the other side there was a faint cursive handwriting, barely readable. Fay squinted, and focused on the writing.

"Dear Faylene,
We have seen your incredible progress over the last few years in your physical and mental abilities. It is time for your training. Come to Club Afterlife at midnight on Saturday to learn your true identity. All will be revealed to you once you get there. See you soon.
The Bridges"

Fay reread the note over and over on the ground. The bell rang, and the hallway cleared and she was still on the ground. Was this a joke? Could the strange things that were happening to Fay all the time be explained just by one night at Skipton’s notorious rough night club?

Over the years Fay had many experiences with the super natural. She always heard creepy noises, moaning whispers, and heavy footsteps. The old woman she saw topped it all. Fay had no idea why she saw, and heard these things. By then she thought she was going insane. How could she explain these things to her best friend Colt? Could it all be explained, or was she going nuts? Finally after five long minutes of thought, sitting on the ground in the hallway, Fay stood, walked over to the trash can, and threw the note away. There was absolutely no way that the note was real. It was just a clever prank. Fay never realized how wrong she was until it was too late.

RayBaytheDinosaur said...
this sounds really really cool, and while i like beck, i really hope Fay ends up with Colt =) lols I'm intrestted in knowing what happens next

CautionwetPaint replied...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 6:51 am :
Thanks! and you'll just have to wait to find out :) 

CaeCae97 said...
I really like this story! It held me right to the end, with it's great plot and like-you're- in-there decsription. By the way, you might also like Reaper, about a guy that finds out his parents sold his soul to the devil, then has to be the devil's bounty hunter. It's funny, and has a good story line.

CautionwetPaint replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 6:55 am :
Thanks :) and I'll definitely check it out! 

dustin M. said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 10:39 am:
dude, u got me hooked! its a healthy mixture of real life mixed in with ghosts and demons. sorta reminds me of the mortal instruments series

dustin M. said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 10:38 am:

CautionwetPaint replied...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 10:52 am :
Thank you! :D You know Cassandra Clare is like one of my favorite authors, so for you to compare the mortal insturments to my book means that much more! :) 

DamonSalvatore1864 replied...
Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:21 am :
I love the Mortal Instruments! I can see why you'd think this is like those books. It reminds me more of Clockwork Angel, though where there is the Pandamonium Club...