I Am The Walker

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »

chapter 1

*I am everything, yet nothing. I control events yet they always seem to slip through my fingers. I never worry about being late, for I am always late, and always early. I have no clock, no watch, for I am all those things and none of them. If I were not here everything would happen at the same moment.*

Shadow
He was quiet. That was the kindest thing you could say about Shadow. Like his namesake he was secretive, his face never showing emotion, his lips never moving except to answer questions monosyllabically.
The day that he came out of his shell was cold. Strong bursts of wind sent leaves tumbling through the air as if with a mind of their own. The trees bent and swayed, their bows almost touching the earth.
Shadow stepped into the warm recesses of the library. He ran his hand over a shelf of books, sending dust swirling through the air.
A history of Travelers and Their Contribution to Modern Society, the spine read. Shadow sighed, sending yet another plume of dust flying.
They used to have good books. The thought had gone through his head thousands of times. They had. He had seen them, stacked on the shelves of homes where he Traveled. They were beautiful, the spines red and blue and other colors, pictures adorning the covers. He had longed to touch them, to caress them, to hold them and open them and let their words spill out into his mind. But he always left them in their rightful place, because the first rule of traveling still rang in his head. Don’t disturb more than you have to.
He shook his head to get rid of the thoughts. He couldn’t do anything about it. Nothing. Of else he would get his Traveler’s license revoked. He didn’t know what he would do without his job to fill his time.
He stepped out of the library into the cold. A leaf blew by his foot, followed by a piece of paper. He leaned over and picked it up.
The most common mistake in Human Cosmetic Surgery is the way that the eye shape is administered. One must use the right tool, and use a slow and steady motion. If the job is done too quickly, the eye will…
Eye shape. His heart sped up in anger. Who needed a book on eye shape? He tore the paper in two and stamped on it. They used to have good books.
Time travel. Books. The idea came to him not a quiet shard of a thought floating into his brain, but a huge menacing specter, casting precedence over everything else. They used to have good books.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »