Stardust

Author's note: I've always loved astrology, and that's basically what this book is based on.
Author's note: I've always loved astrology, and that's basically what this book is based on.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Chapter 2

Elyon raked the ground for what it was worth. He shaded his eyes as Rhea came up to him. He looked over at her. She gave him a little water, then watched him drink it.
“It’s been a hot day.” She said.
“Yeah.” Elyon muttered as he drank deeply. He looked around. Mount Pyle rose up as normal, its top hidden by clouds. On top were the stargazer’s homes. No one had seen them, and you wouldn’t unless you were a stargazer.
“When will the farming season end?” Rhea asked. She didn’t farm the land, but looked after the planter’s family. Their planter was Namath, one of the richer ones. He was a good master, although a little quiet. He was Tarus though, so it was no surprise.
“In October. Then we have to take care of the livestock.” Elyon replied.
“I don’t get why you can’t take care of the cattle year-round.”
Elyon looked at her incredulously. “The cattle stink. It’s better to break your back over plants.”
“So pain is better than smell?”
“Yeah.”
Rhea sighed impatiently. “I still don’t get why you’re not in the household. You’d be perfect!”
“It’s ‘cause I have muscles. And I can’t leave Matte here.” Matte was Elyon’s adopted brother. He was an orphan, like Elyon. Since they were bought together, Matte was Elyon’s responsibility. Matte carried water and helped feed the farmers. All the while though, he was secretly trying to rise above and become a planter.
Elyon tried to talk him out of it. He even asked Rhea’s help. But Matte was still convinced he could become a planter. Elyon knew how it felt. He wanted to get out of the fields too. But they were farmers. There was nothing they could do. The only way to get out was to become a stargazer. But they picked randomly, and every other century. Stargazers lived forever until someone killed them.
Recently, there were rumors that the stargazers were looking for a new one. But it was usually just wishful thinking. The stargazers hadn’t chosen a new one since long ago. Legend was that it was a Pisces. Now they were looking for a Scorpio.
Even though Elyon knew it was ridiculous, he couldn’t help but get his hopes up. He was Scorpio. It would make sense for him to be chosen. But he decided if they ever asked him, he’d say no, because Matte needed him. And Rhea. Rhea was his friend. He couldn’t just leave them. Elyon sighed and went back to raking the ground.
Elyon woke up. He yawned and stretched. Everything was quiet. The barracks that he lived was silent. He scrambled out of bed, cursing when he realized that it was bright out. He scrambled around the room until a chuckle from the doorway turned him around. “Rhea, I can’t talk. I’m late.”
Then he realized that it wasn’t Rhea he had talked too. The girl looked similar to her, but it wasn’t her. The girl in the doorway had black hair that fell in waves, was tall, and carried herself the same way Rhea did. But this girl’s eyes were blue, and Rhea’s were black.
Then Elyon looked around. The room he was in was lavishly decorated, with the design of the scorpion everywhere. He looked at the bed. It was studded with topaz and a sign was on top of the canopy. It was the sign of the Scorpion. Then he looked down at his clothes. He was dressed in deep red robes, and as he looked around, he realized that the whole room was that color.
“Come.” The girl said. She had robes like Elyon’s, but they were sea-green instead. “The council wishes to meet you.” She turned into water and flowed from the room. Elyon stood still for a moment, wishing he had the same ability. Then he sighed and followed her.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

guesswho said...
Great story again!!! Wonderful ending...

DreamingOurWorld replied...
Mom...please change your name...