Ancient Power

Author's note: Timmy is very serious about his name because it represents him. As am I. Timmy has been a great...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Timmy is very serious about his name because it represents him. As am I. Timmy has been a great way to illustrate my point. Names mean a lot to me and I only wanted to be referred to as who I am.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Escape

The tube is the specimen. I’ve been experimenting with it for as long as I can imagine. When I graduated college and became a scientist it became my life focus. No one had seen anything like it before so bravely going where no one’s gone before, I’m figuring it out.

But now. Now I realize I’ve been doing it wrong all along. Now that it’s in my body I can feel it and I know it’s not from anywhere on earth. Being a scientist I’ve looked at it in a scientist’s perspective. This stuff is unnatural. It’s a different kind of science than I’ve been trained to do.

I need to get outta here! I feel strong. Don’t lock me in a cage! I feel energy pulsing in every fiber of me!

I stare at the fogged-up window. I see free people. They have the whole world to explore. I have this boring, white room. Just need to get past the window.
If I can break the door I can break the window. Plan ahead! Plan ahead! I need a rope to get down from this high.

I take the bed sheets and tie them into a knotted, plump rope. Well, kind of. It isn’t long enough to go down all five stories. That’s fine, there’s a ledge every story.

I pump my fists and shatter the glass. I drop the handmade rope down and push the top under the bed. It comes 3 feet shy of the first landing. It’ll do.
I shoot through the window and shimmy down the rope. Y’know what?
It’s easy!

Or at least it was! The nurse ushers my daughter and wife into my room and what do they see?

I hear two gasps as loud as thunder, roaring in my ears. My wife and daughter are seeing me break out of a hospital like a bandit! The nurse is on the phone now dialing some numbers. I see them like they’re engraved in my head. I see every part of the sleek, white phone in immaculate detail. I saw her claw-like, pink (not white) fingernails punching in the numbers: 911!

I keep going.

I reach the first landing and pull the rope from under the bed. It slips out easily.

I wrap it loosely around a window arch. One story down; four more to go.

I scramble down the rope again. Three more to go. Then I look down. The pit of my stomach churns uneasily. My feet dangle in midair. There’s just empty air below me. Just empty. One mistake and I’ll be falling… falling… splat.

I carefully hug the rope and inch down. I’m stronger now. I’m changed. But I’m still a weak, nerdy scientist in the head.

I’m still me and that’ll never change. I’m still really scared and that’s the problem exactly.

Beep! Beep! I almost drop the rope to block my ears from the deafening noise. The world flashes red and blue on my frightened face.
From above I can see an ambulance screeching to a halt next to the sidewalk and police spilling out.
I hear the roar of a fire truck. The fire truck streaks around the corner and parks next to the ambulance as firemen pile out.

The fire truck unrolls its ladder stretching up to my neck. They’re going to help me climb down as if I were a cat in a tree and then probably return me to the hospital. No!

I keep going… and bam! Two more stories to go.

There’s an audience now. Pedestrians stare at me as if I were an alien from another planet. I guess They’re right I am. Not just an alien to them but to myself.

I feel hot breath on my shoulder. A firelady is next to me, straddling her legs on the ladder. “What are you doing, young man? You should be sleeping in your hospital bed, not climbing out a window!”

“ Just pretend you’re scared of me. This is only an act.“ she whispers as silky silent as the moon.

I twist my body away from her.
“Go away.” I screech, “I’m just human. Just like you.” Even as I say it I don’t believe it. Could I really be considered human anymore? “You don’t need to put on some act. Whatever you’re doing!”

“We are only trying to hide you. We know you have the Power.” She whispers.

It’s the first time I hear that word. Some thing in my head clicks. My body roars with intensity. Her arm stretches forward to grab me and pull me down. I don’t think twice. I spring down off the second story platform. Voices scream in my head as I hurdle down onto the ground. Peoples’ faces twist before me in a mash of colors, staring at me with horror… But then I land with perfect ease on all fours. People cheer!

They don’t know me, I expect. But they care for me at that moment and I feel a powerful connection to these people witnessing my escape. My body tingles with happiness. I’m safe on the ground. Out of the &90^%*$###@)!~”& ing, white hospital room with the whole world ahead of me.
But I don’t know where to go next… From this moment I know nothing will ever be the same.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Eliahumandoglover said...
Please comment. It really helps. Constructive criticism is good. It makes me feel appreciated when people comment on my work.

Gr8man replied...
The story's premise is interesting, but what I think most needs improvement is the dialogue and writing style (it doesn't always flow smoothly). Other than that an interesting read! please check out my story as i'm hard pressed for constructive comments myself :)