The Final Trial of Emma Lee

Author's note: This was inspired like most of my writing is inspired: me, being bored and just thinking about "What would happen if..."
Author's note: This was inspired like most of my writing is inspired: me, being bored and just thinking about "What would happen if..."  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Prologue 2

Emma Lee had finally had it. She was tired of being cooped up inside the Compound. She was tired of living on corn and flat Sprite every day. She was tired of classes, she was tired of her teachers.

And frankly, she had a right to be.

Emma Lee lived in the last safe haven for humans on Earth: the Compound. The Compound was a ten square mile secure area, with a wall every ten miles surrounding it. The Cold Fire hardly ever struck inside the Compound. Living inside was safe.

However, Emma didn't care.

And so that is why she decided to sneak out, and try to escape.

Being only fourteen years old, almost fifteen, she didn't know any better. But one thing she did know. She could not stay in the Compound a minute longer.

Sneaking toward the guard tower and gate of the first wall, she stared at the unmoving door. After the Cold Fire spread around the world, any remaining humans got to work creating this final sanctuary. They built the Compound in London, and at the center was the Tower of London. The Thames had long since been diverted underground, and only about five hundred humans lived safe lives inside of the Compound.

But they weren't safe. Emma knew better.

She held her long brown hair up above her head, and wrapped it with the scrunchie that she had borrowed from Celene the night before. She smoothed out her jeans, and looked up at the first wall that surrounded her second home. Grabbing a gray brick that protruded from the wall, she began to ascend, her dark brown eyes focused on the black sky above.

A shadow crossed the sky, and tears attempted to escape her eyes, as she remembered her lost friend. Nothing would ever be the same, now that she knew the truth. She had to find the others.

Reaching the top of the wall, she jumped down the other side, and gazed out in silence at the blackened city that used to be London. Somewhere in that city lived someone who could help her.

Or infect her with the Cold Fire. She shivered in terror at what could have happened, if she was not immune. The human race had been completely changed by the virus that had destroyed her family, her mother, and her best friends. It was Emma's worst fear that she too, would become a victim of the Cold Fire.

Her white sneakers clattered in the Thames' dry riverbed, and reaching the other side, she climbed up the wall. How she, a fourteen year old, could stop the madness that had been started when she was only six, she had no idea. But she knew where to start.

The looming Tower that's name Emma remembered from History class struck twelve times. Emma smiled. Big Ben was wishing her a happy birthday. A tear managed to escape her eye and she thought of all the people she had left behind. But the thought of saving them all made her right foot move in front of her left foot, as she began her long journey to find help.

If she didn't do something about the terror that really occurred eight years ago, all could be lost.

If it wasn't already.

She sprinted across crumbling roads, into the first building she could find. It appeared to be a hospital. Forcing the doors open, she collapsed on a dust and grime covered couch, and took deep, heaving breaths. How had it come to this? How had it come to one girl against the universe? How had it came to the point that she had caused all this?

She forced herself to calm down, and she began to remember the past few weeks that had led her to this point, in a broken down Pre- Cold Fire Hospital...
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Kestrel135This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
A big ball of wibbly, wobbly, timey-whimey stuff... But whatever you do, Don't Blink

KittengooThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think it's a fairly interesting idea-- it's been done before, but so many facets of human behavior come out in such situations that done well, it can never become boring. Your writing is great on terms of grammar and spelling, and you lead the narrative strongly, but more sentence variety would help, and more getting inside the character's head. The structure was all "Emma did this and then Emma did this and then Emma did this". I sort of didn't like her... she seem... (more »)

PrettyInPurpleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This has left me wanting more! I want to know the rest! Cant wait! (Of course if there is more) :))