Angels of Anaheim

Author's note: This was written by a dream I had. THIS IS REVISED!! It's not the same as the original, so...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This was written by a dream I had. THIS IS REVISED!! It's not the same as the original, so 'Adam's Story' does not apply to this!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19

Epilogue

When we got back home, I found myself on the roof of HQ. Adam was sitting next to me. “Did you fix your chain?” I asked. He pulled it out of his pocket. It was still broke. I reached into my pocket. I came prepared. I took a silver chain from one of my necklaces. I snatched it from him and threw the old one off the edge. I slid the rings onto the new one and clasped it shut.
“Thanks,” he said and put it on. It was quiet for a moment. “My mom would have liked you,” he said, “And my sister.”
“Why?” I asked.
“Because you look out for me. Willing to give yourself for someone else,” he said.
“Probably not everyone,” I said.
“Really?” he asked.
“Not for my mom,” I said, “I haven’t heard a thing about her since I got hit in the head.”
“She doesn’t deserve you,” he said.
“Whatever,” I said.
“I didn’t deserve my mom and sister,” he said, “It’s like giving angels to one of Satan’s disciples.”
“Then what’s my case?” I asked. He thought for a moment.
“Like giving a perfectly good kid to an addict,” he said, smirking.
“Ooo. Couldn’t have guessed that one,” I snapped.
“It’s who we are,” he said.
“So you’re a disciple of Satan?”
“No. I just was given two of a kind, and made a full house of cards that fell down,” he said.
“Going for a straight flush. Get one more card and you’ve got it. You get a bad one, then the next guy gets the flush and wins it. It’s life. Up and down. Thick and thin,” I said.
“Amen,” he said. More silence.
“Can I pretend you’re my angel?” I asked.
“I’m not an angel, Maddie,” he said.
“Then how are you not dead?” I asked.
“How are you not dead?” he asked.
“Because of you! My angel,” I said. We both laughed. He gave me that evil look that I love.
“Far from it, darling.”

Started May 4, 2011
Finished July 31, 2011
10:37 P.M

For my mommy, Laurel. You are my editor and put up with
me asking you to read endless paragraphs.
I would not still be alive without you.
You are the beacon in the storm.
I love you.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19