The Last Days | Teen Ink

The Last Days

By CWells_521 DIAMOND, Greene, New York
CWells_521 DIAMOND, Greene, New York

The best things in life are unseen, that's why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream.
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

The other chapters are coming soon!

Nothing ever stays the same. It’s a fact of life, but sometimes, just sometimes, they should. Even if it defies the laws of nature. What if it could save someone’s life? Don’t you think you would at least try?

Maybe not, people don’t seem to care about other people’s problems. People seem to pretend to care, but it’s all just lies. That’s how Lissa saw people. She was different. She wasn’t blind, like most people were. She saw the way people lied, she saw the way no one cares, she saw the darkness. Ever since a little girl, she was different. It wasn’t a bad difference, didn’t make her bad, just made her who she was. Even if she didn’t want to be that person.

She couldn’t change who she was. And now, she hated that fact more than anything. Tomorrow was her sixteenth birthday. She hadn’t made any plans, her parents were too busy fighting and her brothers would probably be out with their superficial girlfriends that she hated. No one would remember that it was her birthday and she wouldn’t remind them because they wouldn’t care anyway.

Lissa rubber her tired eyes and flopped down onto her bed, covering her ears. Downstairs, she could hear her parents going at it, as usual. Fighting about something stupid probably, maybe someone forgot to feed the dog or mow the lawn. She could hear her mother’s voice pitch up, loud enough for the neighbors to hear, but they had probably sound proofed their houses by now, this was so usual.

She got up, off her bed, ready to shut her door when something caught her attention. Her father was saying, “You know she’s different. You see it, we all see it. Stop lying to yourself.”

Lissa’s teeth tighted together and she slipped quietly down the hall to the edge of the stairs where she could hear more clearly.

“I’m not lying to myself,” Her mother’s voice softened. “I know she’s different and I know it’s getting worse. I’m not sure what to do.”

“I know. We need to figure this out.” He paused for a moment before continuing. “I think that even if it makes her condition worse, that we should tell her about the divorce. It’s not right, all this lying to her.”

Divorce? Lissa’s heart beat rapidly and her eye twitched.

“Okay, not today though. Let’s tell her tomorrow.”

“Okay, but no chickening out. She needs to know the truth since I am moving out soon.”

“Yes, I realize this. Have you seen her lately?”

He coughed loudly. “No, why?”

“It’s bad.”

“How bad?”

Her mother sighed. “Let’s just say that it’s gotten a lot worse. I’ve been thinking, maybe we should consider getting her help.”

“Maybe. Now that I think of it, I haven’t seen her in about a week. She’s been hiding up in her room all week.”

“Yeah, I know. I saw her yesterday when she was walking to her room from the bathroom. I was in my room and saw her through the crack in the door. I think she died her hair even darker. It’s totally black now and she had it straightened so it hid her face but I saw her eyes covered in makeup and….” She stopped talking and sighed. “She’s gone. It’s taken over her. I think she’s stopped eating, too.”

“I’m going to call for someone today. We’ll give her all the news tomorrow.”

“Okay, could you get the mail?”

“Why can’t you, I need to make some phone calls. I just told you that.”

“Just like always, you can only help yourself.”

“This is ridiculous.”

Lissa dragged herself back to her room as they leapt back into battle, same as always. She thought they didn’t notice her, but it was even worse than that. They studied her, like a lab rat. She never did anything wrong. Why did life hate her so much?

She needed answers. She walked across the hall to her oldest brother, Mike’s room. The door was slightly open, so she kicked it with her foot and steeped into the doorway. He was sitting on his bed texting. His hair was spiked up into a fo-hawk and he was fully dresses in his Syracuse sweat shirt, jeans and Nike Shox. He looked up at her, not saying anything, just studying her, like everyone else.

Her hair was black. Black like tar. Black like night. Black like ashes and black like her heart. Black and straight. Hiding her eyes from the questioning souls. Hiding her dirty face, her pouty lips, she scarred cheeks, the makeup she plastered on her face. Hiding the secrets that we all want to know. Hiding the answers that everyone seeks. Her hair, her face, her favorite black and red checkered skinny jeans, black tank top, silver studded belt, converse, black bracelets, they all meant something. They led on that something was wrong, but long ago scared off the only people who cared enough to help. The way she liked it.

Her voice is crackled and crisp as she says, “Are you going out?”

He continued to stare. Maybe trying to figure out why is dark, miserable sister was talking to him. He stretched out his arms and said, “Yeah. I’m going out with the guys. Why?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Uh, sure, I am your brother. You can come in if you want.”

She moved in just beyond the door, closing it tightly. “It’s about mom and dad.”

Mike looked at her, a distant look in his eyes. When their eyes met, he glanced down at his phone and answered a text. “Mike.” Lissa said.

He sighed. “Okay, sorry. What about?”

“They’re getting a divorce.” It wasn’t a question.

“What are you talking about?” He cracked his knuckles.

“Don’t lie to me. I heard them talking and they’re going to tell me tomorrow. How long did you know?”

He licked his lips. “Since a couple of weeks ago. Josh knows too. They told us not to tell you, but I don’t know why.”

“Yes you do, and that’s what I want to know.”

Out of nowhere, her vision flashed black and she saw blood splattered on the walls and bloody bones in the corner. Then it was gone. He must have seen the horror in her eyes because he stood up immediately with worry in his eyes. “Lissa, are you okay.”

She shook her head no but said, “Yes.”

“They think something’s wrong with you, deeper than depression. They think you….”

“They think I’m suicidal?”

“No, they think it’s all in your head and…”

“They think I’m crazy.”

He sighed. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Do you think I am?”

“Lissa…”

There were daggers in her eyes. “Do you?”

“I think maybe you should talk to someone. It’s nothing personal, it’s just that you’ve….you’ve changed.”

“Don’t tell them I know.” She said, opening the door, and left.

She heard his sigh as she was slamming her door, locking it. Reality was locking her out, so she was locking it out.

They didn’t know anything. She didn’t change, she was always like this. She only grew. Outgrew her shell into this new one that didn’t hide anything.

She leaned against the door, slid down and wrapped her arms around her knees, resting her face on her hands. She could hear her parents walking up the stairs, probably to find out why a door was slammed. They passed her room, she could hear them knock on Mike's room.

Lissa pressed her ear against the door and listened.

"Mike," her mother said. "Did you slam your door?"

"No, Lissa did."

"Why?"

"She was in here talking to me and got mad and left and slammed her door."

Lissa's dad sounded startled. "She was in here, talking to you?"

"Yeah, what's the problem?"

"She's been hiding in her room all week. Why would she suddenly want to talk? What were you talking about?"

"She just wanted to know if I was going out. Maybe you should go talk to her instead of hounding me."

Her mother sighed. "Okay. Have fun, sweetie."

Then they walked to Lissa's door and knocked. Lissa didn't answer and they knocked again. "Lissa?"

"Lissa Mae, open this door now." Her father ordered.

"Go away." Lissa said quietly.

"What was that?" Her mother's voice pitched as high as the ceiling.

"Just go away and leave me alone."

"Honey, please..." Her mother sounded close to tears.

"Don't call me honey. Just go." She punched the door.

Her father was aggravated. "Sonny, it's no use. Come downstairs."

Lissa stayed at her door listening until she couldn't hear them anymore, then she got up and walked to the window. It was clear outside, sunny but a little cloudy and warm. The perfect summer day. She wanted to go outside and run to the park and swing high on the swings. But she couldn't. That kind of stuff was for happy people and nothing made her happy anymore.

Besides, it was still really sunny but was going on five o'clock. She didn't feel like having to hear the extra yelling for sneaking out. And soon she'd get called down for dinner. Not like she'd actually go, but still.

She moped back to her bed and flopped onto it, checking her phone in the process. [No Messages] Just another normal day in the neighborhood, she avoided everyone and everyone avoided her.

She closed her eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep, knowing that she'd sleep right through dinner and the night ad the next time she'd wake up, she'd be sixteen. What a day to look forward to.