New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

To Be a Monster

Author's note: I got the idea while listening to "Monsters" by Matchbook Romance. Enjoy, rate, comment.
Author's note: I got the idea while listening to "Monsters" by Matchbook Romance. Enjoy, rate, comment.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

The Beginning of the End

I sat, crossed-legged, on the dirt floor, carefully cleaning and sharpening my weapons. They supplied everything I needed to charge headfirst onto that battle field. I absolutely loved how their weaponry consisted of both modern and medieval. Swords and guns, air-crafts and horses, bows and arrows and gas. Suddenly, the tent flap pulled back, causing me to jump. “Nervous, much?” The man asked with a smile. “Uh, no. No, no, no. I’m just going into battle for the first time ever. Typical day here,” I said sarcastically. “Of course I’m nervous. What kind of question is that? For a guy so smart, you can be pretty stupid.” He laughed. We fell into a silence that seemed to be common. I continued my work as quietly as a girl can while sharpening a sword.
Horns suddenly rang out in the distance, the sound like music to my ears. "It's time," he said ominously, turning toward me. Quickly, I slung the quiver on my back, hid a few small throwing knives in my clothes, sheathed my sword, and finished loading my gun. "Ready to, well, die, I guess," I shrugged. He opened the flap wide enough for me to squeeze through. Outside, birds sang merrily and animals scurried along the ground, unaware of the chaos that would be wrecked in just a few short minutes. Above the cliff our base was comfortably settled on, a giant flatland stretched from here to the other side of the valley which was measured to be about four football fields. It was the perfect battlefield. On the horizon, I could see small black dots that formed to one big blob. "There they are. Right on time." I smiled. "Sounds like they're being invited for dinner." But, my humor fell flat with no laughter. The happy mood had been long gone and was replaced by a new one: ultimate doom.
Another man, much larger than my companion, called for attention. "Men," he began before quickly adding, "and women. This will decide the fate of our entire race. Some of you might not come back, but isn't that the right price to stay peaceful among our own kind?" Cheers erupted from the mob of roughly one hundred-thousand in reply. The guy knew just what to say to get this crown riled up. "For the Monsters!" Someone in the crowd called. The rest echoed. We weren't the most organized troop in history of battles, but we had a strong motivation: the protection of humankind. We were marched down the cliff and onto the battlefield. This is it. "Charge!" Our leader called. We charged forward.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 23, 2011 at 8:41 am:
I loooove this story! I want more! I would suggest though to separate dialogue and paragraphs, but you seemed to do it more towards the end. Nice job! 5/5

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The dialogue is very realistic, but in the beginning, they should have been separated into paragraphs. I do like what you have so far, and I'd love it more if you expanded on the chapters a bit more. The idea is very cool and I'd love to read more :)

jackieyimlovah said...
omgee its so good! i love it! 

MorgannAmelia said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 9:44 am:
I admit, I haven't finished it yet, but it's nice to see something so well written not entirely focused on "vampire romance".

DinoNugget replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm :
Thanks!  There does seem to be a surplus of vampire books ever since Twilight became popular.

Pedophobic said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 5:29 pm:

lol im a noob here

'hi oldfags :]

but i dont know how to add books or authors to my favorites ;----;

can you tell me?

DinoNugget replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 9:34 am :
Sorry, TI hasn't had the time to make that button available for books and such.

Pedophobic replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm :
Thanks thatbwas helpful :B

CarrieAnn13 said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 8:28 pm:
This is a good start.  The only criticism I have is to put dialogue on a line separate from your paragraphs more often.  It just makes it easier to read.

GlassXRose said...
You're doing a GREAT job! I can tell you're going to get better and better, and this story will be polished and sanded down until it is PERFECT!

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm:
Lol, I love the fifth chapter's ending

MysteryHeart said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:07 am:
Very VERY VERY!!!!! RAW manuscript, but great story line. you should try to make the chapters longer.... if you got a good editor to put his or her input in andchange some thingsadd some stuff this would be amazing

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm :
spacebar honey, use it

DinoNugget replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm :
I know... :-/  I had the story just collecting dust on my computer, so I decided to post it, imperfections and all, just to see what kind of feedback it would get.  So far, pretty positive.  I appriciate your input!  :)

Mar. 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm :
8( you still didn't write more? D; why do you hate me soooo much?!!!!   lol jk, but I do wish you write more soon ^-^

DinoNugget replied...
Mar. 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm :
Haha!  It's only been a few days!  I'll write more once the homework flow slows a bit.

Mar. 5, 2011 at 10:59 pm :
lol okay please keep me posted, i wanna know what happens next

Raindrops_On_Roses replied...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 7:59 pm :
"ultimate doom"   i like how that sounds

Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:15 am:
I onlyread til chapter two. but so far its excellent! The summary really made me want to read this. And now that I started reading it I really don't want to stop. If I could rate it 10 stars, I would :D