Bringer

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

Chapter One #1 The Beginning of the End (For Darkess)

When I first woke up I knew nothing… Yawning, I began to open my eyes. With my eyelids half shut I could just make out a bright hue of green. There was a rotting, dirty fume wafting silently through the air. Underneath me I could feel sharp thorns and bristly leaves scratching my back and I felt like I was sinking in powdery, wet dirt. Where was I? Searching for the answer, I felt an ominous emptiness and darkness crashing over my mind. Its sharp gnarly hands tore at the seams of my brain as past
I love dogs so I had to add one!
memories sank away, evaporating until I was sitting there startled and confused, racking my head for the consoling light of one memory, one hint of who I was, what I was doing here. I searched deep through the darkness, through hollow emptiness and despair. Nothing. The realization poured over me that any memory of my past life was gone. The images of darkness faded to a thin hazy mist. It flew off me as I fell to the real world. I lay on my back, startled. I pulled myself up and tripped over a tree root shooting from the soil. Then I pushed myself up again, this time more aware of any annoying obstacles like tree roots. I stared wide-eyed at my surroundings. Long rubbery vines twisted and tangled around thick tree trunks. Tall trees loomed above me, forming a thick, leafy canopy. Rays of bright sunlight filtered through the barrier of age forming a beautiful, treetop quilt of glowing white and bright green. It was beautiful but I felt a sense of danger and evil lurking in the pretty scenery. I stared up in shock and amazement. I had been pretty sure I was in someplace odd but this had confirmed my guess. I was in a jungle or… a wood or… some place... I erupted with rage. Why me? Why am I brainwashed in the middle of a dense jungle place? Am I brainwashed or do I have amnesia? Suddenly a cry of homesickness washed over me. I don’t even know my parents or friends or family… but I want them still, I realized. Who would dare do this to me? Why? I don’t think I deserve it. It hit me that I might, in my past life before my memory was stolen, be a bad kid who threatened peoples’ lives and did deserve this. It also hit me that I could have lived here and then gotten memory washed and forgot that I lived here all along. But I let these ideas all pass through to the back of my mind and let anger take over. I furiously kicked at a strong, rough tree trunk again and again. Bark cascaded off, leaving the tree smoother with smaller grooves. I punched it with a quick blow of my fist, grimacing in pain as my fist landed hard in the heart of the lower tree. But all of a sudden, I felt a tiny prick of life darting through my mind. Newfound hope washed over me. I jumped at it, chased it down. It was like tumbling through a maze of darkness, trying to grasp a little spark of searing light in that infinite field of night. The prickle of memory darted in front of me like it was teasing me. It swooped back into the never ending haze of black and shot back to tease me again. I pounced on it only as the glowing ember danced away into the foggy darkness, once again. I pursued it through the thick dark mist, swirling in and out. From behind I swatted at it, clenched it to my heart, and brought it to me, the little knowledge I had, my name: Soren Dragondune. I heard a high-pitched energetic “Woof!” A dog, its head slicked back into a warm, fluffy body, came racing, its bright golden fur blowing like leaves in the wind. Wagging its amber fluff of a tail, excitedly pushing it high in the air. I stroked its silky ears; it’s fur sliding gently on my hand. “Hi boy.” I cooed, happy to have a companion in this jungle, happy I wasn’t alone because loneliness magnifies hardships. Seeing I was lost of memory and knew almost nothing in a place- a jungle- I didn’t know definitely would qualify as a hardship. As long as you aren’t alone, at least you have someone to count on, someone maybe you can trust, someone to be with- a companion, a friend. The dog rolled over, showing its leathery, pinkish tummy. As I scratched it, I saw a tag on the dog. Engraved into the golden metal was the name Warrior.

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Amnesia is a plott device I'm rather fond of, and you've managed to do it justice without seeming trite.

I've always been fond of the name Soren, as well--funny how things like that happen, isn't it?

Please check out my novel SuperNOVA and leave your comments on it, I think you'll like it. =]

Eliahumandoglover replied...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm :
 Thanks! The name Soren remind me of Soren Kirkagard. I hope this story is as meaningful as Soren Kirkagard is when he speaks.  I want to check out your book too. I'll comment when I'm finished which may be a while 'cuz I jump back and forth between books.