We Own The Night; Adam's Story

Author's note: People always say that Adam is really mean and they don't know why, so here it is!
Author's note: People always say that Adam is really mean and they don't know why, so here it is!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Part One; In The Beginning...

This is the part where I explain my humble beginnings, right? Wrong. There was no humble beginnings. Only horror.
My mother was a mortal woman named Stephanie. She met my father, James, when she was young. James was the one who influenced my mortality; he was a pure-blood, bonafide evil demon. I refuse to call him father because he was not well qualified to be one. Mother didn’t know he was evil-let alone a demon-until I was born and we were stuck.
Mother always thought there was a peculiar air about him. She couldn’t put a finger on it. They married, and a few months later, I was born.
I told Madison that I had a heart because I was born in a public situation. That is one true thing I said. I was born in a San Francisco hospital, like every other baby. My parents named me Adam, and they took me home. That’s when things got hairy.
Most don’t remember things that happened when they were a baby, but I remember things clearly. The thing I remember most was the night Mother discovered James’s secret. They got into a fight so vicious that I thought he might kill her. It left her with a few scars that she had until the end. Things were never the same. Mother never let James near her, like he had the plague. She would always demand to know where I was, scared that James would do something unthinkable.
I grew up normally. I thought every family was made up of one immortal parent. I never told anyone, though. I thought they would understand. Every birthday passed, and I changed more and more, like a normal child.
Everything that a normal teen goes through during puberty happened to me, except for one small, oh, so insignificant fact; wings. At approximately age fourteen, I noticed that I had two bruises on my upper back, one right across from each other. As weeks progressed, the bruises grew darker and more painful, until I was immobile. The pain was so great that I wanted to go to the hospital, but James refused. He knew what was going on, and Mother knew in the pit of her stomach that I was not a normal teen anymore.
She stayed up with me that night, and watched as two black bat wings broke though the skin on my back in one giant thrust of pain. I remember Mother crying, afraid that I would be evil like James. I was taught to conceal my wings, and act normal despite the fact that I changed more and more. My teeth and nails grew and my eyes turned red. I soon learned the horrible truth that I needed blood to live. I starved myself until I had to do something, and then I would kill pets and rats. I swore I would never take a human life.
Mother avoided me a little, afraid of me. I didn’t want that, and I tried to stay with her. But things were getting even worse. Fights between James and Mother escalated to the point that I was scared for Mother’s life.
But things were different at school. I had friends-and was falling for a girl. Her name was Hailey. She was tall, lean, and had long, black hair. She was the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen. As the fights at home got worse, my time with her grew. We soon became a couple, never leaving each other’s side.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This was a quality piece but I feel it is heavily relient on We Own the Night.

Please check out my novel "SuperNOVA" and leave your thoughts on it. Thanks!

laurenangela replied...
Jan. 30, 2011 at 9:26 am
thank you for your comment. it's greatly appriciated!