Her Name Was Madi

Author's note: I always loved the 1950's. Grease, Cry-Baby, so many things made me want to write something for...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I always loved the 1950's. Grease, Cry-Baby, so many things made me want to write something for that era. Of course, it had to have a modern twist to it. Madi is much like me, and I think that's what inspired me to finish this piece. Read her story and let me know what you think. This is part one of three so the more feedback I get, the quicker part two comes along!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Next »

Chapter Six

Oh great, Madi thought, in addition to being late back to school, I also forgot to ask around for directions to the freshman classroom. This is so not my day!!!
Madi raced through the hallways, dropping her rather large book at least three times and getting completely lost every few seconds. Almost five minutes passed, and she finally seemed to be at least in the freshman hall. As she walked down the hall, she read the numbers over each door, and finally, she came to C-103. Breathless and flustered, she barged through the door, and by the look of the clock, she was almost ten minutes late.
"Oh, Madeleine. Nice of you to join us," Mrs. Webster said pleasantly, even though Madi could tell that she was already disappointed. Madi apologized quickly and set her things down on the teacher's desk. Still looking thoroughly unimpressed with the girl, she took an empty desk at the back of the class, nothing more than a witness for the off chance that Madi would crack under pressure.
As Madi took a second to regain her composure, a loud tapping noise broke the silence of the classroom. It was the sound of someone tapping their pencil on their desk. There was nothing more unnerving than that small, sharp sound, and it drove Madi crazy. She turned to see who was making the horrendous sound, and her gaze fell upon none other than Tony. His icy blue eyes were looking at her, one elbow on the desk with his head resting against his hand. His expression was that of mild interest, nothing more. As she walked to the teacher's desk to grab some new chalk, still staring at him, the left corner of his mouth gradually turned up in that boyish grin that she couldn't help but smile back at ever so slightly. She turned back to the direction she was walking just in time to catch herself inches from barking her shins on the teacher's desk, much to the enjoyment of Tony's friends. The pair didn't bother to hide their laughter, and soon had the whole class laughing along with them, except for Tony. The grin remained on his face, but he made no sound. He merely glanced back up at her. She blushed for what felt like the millionth time that day and whirled around to face the chalkboard, thoroughly angry with herself. She hated the idea of having such a reaction to such a total jerk. And why should he even be in this class? Madi was sure that he was at least her age or older. Great. Not only was he a jerk, but he was a two-time failure, as well. Clearing her throat and head simultaneously, she began her lesson.
"Okay, class. Today, we're going to talk about World War Two, otherwise known as 'double-you-double-you-eye-eye'." Silence followed her (admittedly) lame joke. Exhaling loudly, she continued.
"To start off with, I'm going to teach you about Adolf Hitler. The first thing you should know about Hitler is that, as crazy as he was, he was an amazing public speaker. Why else would thousands of Germans follow him in the search for the 'perfect race' when he himself was not of the 'perfect race'?" She paused for a second and searched the classroom for even a sign of interest. Nothing. Well, nothing other than Tony, of course. But she knew that what Tony was interested in had nothing to do with Hitler.
"Moving on. Now," she began again, turning to write on the chalkboard, "Hitler led the Nazis in the killing of six million Jews, along with gypsies, criminals, homosexuals-"
"You mean Hitler killed faggots."
Without even turning her head, Madi finished her list with "the mentally and physically challenged." However, Tony saw a slight tensing in her shoulders, and so repeated the sentence, just a bit louder.
"So Hitler killed faggots."
The single word reverberated between Madi's eardrums like a furiously hopping jack rabbit. Her shoulders involuntarily tensed and she tried her hardest to ignore it, but it itched at her brain like a word on the tip of her tongue. That single word was the bane of her existence. She couldn't stand words like that, and if Tony wanted a fight, he'd get it.
"Well, Tony, if you want to be so smart about it, then why don't you come to the front of the class for me?" she said with an ever so slight undertone of menace in her voice. He smirked back at her.
"What if I won't?" She clasped her hands behind her back as Mrs. Webster waited to see how she'd react to her most difficult student. A pleasant smile crossed Madi's face as she began to travel up and down the isles of desks.
"You know, Tony, many people say that Hitler's acts were born from self-hatred. Many prejudice cases can be traced back to the feeling, such as homophobia and use of the word-" Madi cleared her throat and finished with a slightly higher pitched voice, "faggot."
"Uh. So?" Tony muttered, not quite grasping the idea as of yet. Madi smiled at him coyly.
"So, is there something you wish to share with the rest of the class?" Giggles followed her question from the entire class, including Tony's friends.
"What're you saying?" Tony asked suspiciously. She approached his desk and held his head against her chest comfortingly.
"It's okay, Tony. You can share. You'll feel so much better if you come clean now." She tried her hardest to keep a straight face as she added, "Don't be insecure! I'm sure there are plenty of boys out there who would kill for a chance with you!"
The entire class erupted into hysterical laughter. Tony appeared to be totally unfazed, but as Madi grinned at him mockingly, she could see that the corner of his right eye was twitching ever so slightly. Mentally, she tallied up the score as 'Madi-2, Tony-0'. Smiling triumphantly to herself, she finished up her lesson for the day.

This book has 33 comments. Post your own now!

thewriter247 said...
Very well written. Good balance of humor and seriousness. But I was like NOOOOOOO near the end... awesome anyways! I hope you finish the second part/sequel. We are waiting patiently!

misteriousgirl said...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:21 am
i love it thats the best story ever on teenink i have already read it 3 times good god!:):):):):)

misteriousgirl replied...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:23 am
sorry o ment to say good job

starbuxcoffee said...
This is amazing, I could'nt stop reading!

Ashlee W. said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:48 am
That was amazing.

that_one_kid10 replied...
Thank you!!

AmyRie96 said...

this is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

i am sitting here on the verge of crying, please write a sequel ASAP!

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:32 am
Omg lol I won't lie-I cried when I wrote it. I felt so bad for what I did but I had to do it in the name of fiction! The sequel is at a stand still....Haven't been working on it lately :c but maybe someday soon I'll feel the inspiration. I have a couple of chapters up already! Go look!

MadisFire said...

My name is Madi. :)

Like it so far, would love it if you read mine when they post it on here. <3...

Melissa G. replied...
I'm so happy you really love my poem, that makes me so happy to hear. And when you poem gets put onto the web site I would really love to read it. Thanks so much for replying to me. I didn't think no body would, lol. Well thanks and I hope you like my other poems.

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:34 am
Ha that's cool :] I'm glad I have the approval of a Madi :D you gotta keep reading!!

Melissa G. said...
I really like your book I think you should publish it some day. You can become a great author to, I would really love to read more. Keep up the good work. 

that_one_kid10 replied...
Thank you :)) I'm actually trying to get it published but no such luck as of yet. Tell all your friends to read it though :D high ratings on this site should get it noticed :))

Melissa G. replied...
Im really happy about your work and I'm going to keep on reading more about it real soon. And I wanted to let you know I'm writing a book to, just to give you the up date. Well I hope you write more. Have a good day. :) :)

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:33 am
Ah thank you :) and if you'd like me to look at your work, send me a link pretty please. I can't seem to find anyone's work :p

ScarletFever said...
i havent read it yet, but omg imma read it right now! i read evertbodys stuff and comment, cuz its so fun to talk to other awesome writer. But i was wondering if you would read my book? its not finished yet because i have the hardest time finishing anything... lol, its called  A Slice of Darkness, please comment and tell all your frinds about it. HOPE YOU LIKE IT xDxDxD

Melissa G. replied...
I really liked your book. It had me movie from page one and I was really into it a whole lot. I hope one day you will publish it and make a lot of money off of it.

rainbowwaffles said...
Sorry, my internet is spazzing and for some reason I can't comment, especially with the link... sorry. :( Maybe the post went through and i just didn't see it? I keep refreshing but nothing is happening. Maybe you can't find it because you're looking at the overall novels? It's on the fifth page of the realistic fiction top voted section.

rainbowwaffles said...
I haven't finished this yet, but I definitely will! What I've read of it is very good :) Maybe you could read some of my novel, The Formation? It's in the realistic fiction section. Thanks!

that_one_kid10 replied...
I can't find your work :C