Her Name Was Madi

Author's note: I always loved the 1950's. Grease, Cry-Baby, so many things made me want to write something for...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I always loved the 1950's. Grease, Cry-Baby, so many things made me want to write something for that era. Of course, it had to have a modern twist to it. Madi is much like me, and I think that's what inspired me to finish this piece. Read her story and let me know what you think. This is part one of three so the more feedback I get, the quicker part two comes along!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next »

Chapter Two

Dear God, is this what a chocolate hangover feels like?
A muggy breeze ruffled Madeleine's boxers and blew her hair in her face, tickling her nose and making her sneeze. Holding her aching head and opening one eye groggily, she asked herself, "Now, since when do we have breezes in the house, much less in my room?"
"Shut up, you stupid kid!"
A large, neon-lit question mark formed in Madi's mind as she sat bolt upright with a start, thinking, I know for a fact I didn't leave the TV on-
Her thoughts skidded to a halt when she got a good look at her surroundings. She was curled up, no longer in her comfortable twin bed, but in a bed of leaves. Oak and cider trees swayed in the breeze and a small creek ran beside her. A large metal sign towering over the trees depicted the bird, flower, and tree of her home state. There was something very, very strange about that sign and she couldn't put her finger on it, even though she'd driven past it numerous times. Still half-asleep, she believed that she had sleep-walked to the state boundary, which was quite far from her house. Supporting herself with her left arm, she noticed a crumpled note in small, neat handwriting laying beside her.
Dearest One,
I cannot imagine how confused you must be at finding yourself here. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you much. All I can say is that you are stuck here until you perform a task. It will be difficult, but I believe in you. Make me proud.

Okay.......Madeleine thought. Rereading the note a time or two, she shrugged and stuck it in the waistline of her boxers, leaving its riddle for later.
"You say one more thing and I swear to God I'll make you eat that stupid sweater you're wearing, got it?" the voice yelled again. Madeleine blinked, uncertain whether to follow the voice to its origin or not. On one hand, maybe he-there was a possibility that it was a she, but it was very remote- could point out the way home. On the other hand, it sounded like he could beat her to a bloody pulp...or worse. Stretching like a big cat and yawning softly so as not to be heard, she brushed herself off and followed the voice, picking some leaves out of her hair and popping her knuckles as she went.
"Leave him alone," a small (seemingly pre-pubescent) voice muttered, obviously afraid of the owner of the first voice. The comment didn't do much, because a sharp, incredibly unintelligible reply and the sound of skin hitting skin was all she heard. Still following the voices, Madeleine found herself on the bank of a rather large, but pretty, lake. A few yards down the bank, she noticed a gang of teenage boys picking on a smaller pair of boys that seemed to both be under ten years of age. One was thin and lanky with dark, dark hair that was cut neatly and seemed to have been combed just so. However, his hair was tousled now and his left cheek was beginning to swell up. The smaller one had the same hairstyle but his hair was red and freckles were sprinkled across his nose. His lip was split and bleeding everywhere. I'm here five minutes and I get to tussle with bullies, Madi thought, what fun. Forgetting the fact that she was in her pajamas, Madeleine stomped towards the group, landing right on a pointy pinecone in the process.
"OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD IT HURTS! Oh my foot will have to be AMPUTATED! Oh my Go-" Madeleine stopped wailing mid-sentence, realizing that all five boys were staring blankly at her. Trying to find the right words to explain herself, her mouth opened and closed like a goldfish out of water, and in the end, she covered her mouth with her left hand and studied her fingernails like she had no interest in the world around her.
"Who the hell are you?" the (it seemed to be) head bully asked her rudely. She looked up like she hadn't noticed that he was there and replied, "Huh?" Glaring at her, he took a step towards her.
"I said, 'who the hell are you?' Answer me," he repeated with a sneer. She gaped at him, fury overtaking her dazedness and, for a second, had no clue what to say to him. Regaining her confidence, she huffed at him, "My name's Madeleine, Madi for short. Why don't you quit picking on those kids?" He raised his eyebrows at her, probably surprised that she had talked to him in such a manner. He did look like the type to react that way.
"I think that it's none of your business," he snapped, rousing a group "ooh" from his buddies. No matter where you go, Madi thought, aggravated, there are always some of these losers trying to pick a fight with you. Trying not to limp from the pinecone incident, she approached the boys, faking an air of confidence as she went.
"Well I think it is. Look at them! They're covered in blood!" she retorted, and, turning to the smaller boys, added "Hey, are you guys okay?" The pair nodded slightly, never looking her right in the eyes, probably thinking she was already dead meat. Sudden whispering breaking into hysterical laughter whipped her head around to face the bullies.
"Are you wearing boxers?!" one of the older boys asked her mockingly. Flushing a deep scarlet, she glanced down at her Happy Bunny boxers.
"Yeah. So?!" she spat back defensively. The laughter erupted into loud guffaws as the other lackey asked, "What kind of girl wears boxers?!" Thoroughly flustered, she hissed back, "Well I think they're comfortable, okay? Don't judge me!!!" Looking at her with interest, the leader quieted the others' laughter to snickering and introduced himself with a smirk on his face.
"I'm Tony Bourdain. You got spunk, kid. I like that. We should...hang out sometime," he said, grinning. Madi had definitely not missed the double meaning in his words, and know that by "You got spunk", he really meant "I think you're hot". Oh joy, Madi thought wearily. Putting her hands on her hips, she narrowed her eyes into slits and glared at him.
"You're kidding me right?" Seeing the blank look on his face, she added incredulously, "Un-freaking-believable. Look, I'm uh...flattered, but I think I'm going to have to take a raincheck." Now, Tony shrugged like he didn't have a care in the world, and gave her a boyishly cute grin. In that moment, she could see how he could seem innocent if it weren't for the rude comments and cruel behavior. Sighing in frustration, she calmed herself down and asked politely, "Tony, I hate to ask, but do you have a cell phone I could use?" He stared at her blankly.
"What the hell is a cell phone?" he asked. She blinked at him.
"The thing you text on. Every teen has one, I promise you."
"What's texting?"
She gaped at him in total disbelief of what she was hearing.
"I'm being punk'd, right?" she muttered in disbelief, looking at him like he was a total moron. He returned the favor.
"Look, I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but the only phones we have are payphones and house phones."
Now, that comment would have been a little strange, considering she herself had a cell phone, but the statement wasn't the only strange factor here. There were also the boys' clothes. The boy with the bruise on his cheek was wearing a horizontally striped tee-shirt from a company that had gone out of business fifty years ago, and the younger boy was wearing nice pants and, for some strange reason, a sweater. Madi was no genius, but it was a relatively hot and humid day. The poor kid must have been on fire underneath that hunk of wool. The older boys were all wearing matching black leather jackets open to reveal white tee-shirts and tight black jeans. Tony, however, was wearing a black tee-shirt, which, combined with his jet black hair slicked into a duckbill (better known as a duck tail or duck butt), made his ice blue eyes appear all the more striking. He was also wearing a silver dog tag round his neck and a gorgeous silver ring on his left index finger. The sheer beauty of it attracted Madi's gaze. Looking back at the clothes, Madi decided that the last time she had checked, people didn't really dress like that anymore. Wait a second, she thought, people don't dress like that anymore?
"Um, just out of curiosity," she began flippantly, "what's today?"
"May 8th. Why?" he replied. She blinked.
"What year is it?"
"1956...Again, why?" A look of sheer horror passed over her face, then disbelief, then humor.
"Aha. Aha. Very funny. No, seriously, what's today?" she retorted, snorting at her gullibility. He crossed his arms and cocked an eyebrow. Oh God, he's serious! she squeaked in her mind. Standing in front of him, she slowly put two and two together, and the more she thought about it, the more she realized what had been wrong with that sign she'd seen earlier. Every time she'd driven past it, it had been covered in rust, scratches, and graffiti. This time, there was barely a hint of graffiti, and not one single speck of rust. Now that she thought about it, she did remember her history teacher mentioning something about the signs having been built in the fifties.
"Look, we're gonna go. We're done with these losers anyway," Tony said, faking a punch at the smaller boys past Madi as she nearly hyperventilated over her recent discovery. He failed to notice, and, taking her accelerated breathing as her strange way of saying goodbye, left, followed by his friends.
Once Tony and his friends were out of sight, Madi retained just enough air to squeak in disbelief and collapsed into a heap in front of the flabbergasted boys.

thewriter247This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:23 pm:
Very well written. Good balance of humor and seriousness. But I was like NOOOOOOO near the end... awesome anyways! I hope you finish the second part/sequel. We are waiting patiently!

misteriousgirl said...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:21 am:
i love it thats the best story ever on teenink i have already read it 3 times good god!:):):):):)

misteriousgirl replied...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:23 am :
sorry o ment to say good job

starbuxcoffee said...
This is amazing, I could'nt stop reading!

Ashlee W. said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:48 am:
That was amazing.

that_one_kid10 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm :
Thank you!!

AmyRie96 said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 11:16 pm:

this is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

i am sitting here on the verge of crying, please write a sequel ASAP!

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:32 am :
Omg lol I won't lie-I cried when I wrote it. I felt so bad for what I did but I had to do it in the name of fiction! The sequel is at a stand still....Haven't been working on it lately :c but maybe someday soon I'll feel the inspiration. I have a couple of chapters up already! Go look!

MadisFire said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 6:40 pm:

My name is Madi. :)

Like it so far, would love it if you read mine when they post it on here. <3...

Melissa G. replied...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm :
I'm so happy you really love my poem, that makes me so happy to hear. And when you poem gets put onto the web site I would really love to read it. Thanks so much for replying to me. I didn't think no body would, lol. Well thanks and I hope you like my other poems.

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:34 am :
Ha that's cool :] I'm glad I have the approval of a Madi :D you gotta keep reading!!

Melissa G. said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm:
I really like your book I think you should publish it some day. You can become a great author to, I would really love to read more. Keep up the good work. 

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:18 pm :
Thank you :)) I'm actually trying to get it published but no such luck as of yet. Tell all your friends to read it though :D high ratings on this site should get it noticed :))

Melissa G. replied...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm :
Im really happy about your work and I'm going to keep on reading more about it real soon. And I wanted to let you know I'm writing a book to, just to give you the up date. Well I hope you write more. Have a good day. :) :)

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:33 am :
Ah thank you :) and if you'd like me to look at your work, send me a link pretty please. I can't seem to find anyone's work :p

ScarletFever said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm:
i havent read it yet, but omg imma read it right now! i read evertbodys stuff and comment, cuz its so fun to talk to other awesome writer. But i was wondering if you would read my book? its not finished yet because i have the hardest time finishing anything... lol, its called  A Slice of Darkness, please comment and tell all your frinds about it. HOPE YOU LIKE IT xDxDxD

Melissa G. replied...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm :
I really liked your book. It had me movie from page one and I was really into it a whole lot. I hope one day you will publish it and make a lot of money off of it.

rainbowwaffles said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm:
Sorry, my internet is spazzing and for some reason I can't comment, especially with the link... sorry. :( Maybe the post went through and i just didn't see it? I keep refreshing but nothing is happening. Maybe you can't find it because you're looking at the overall novels? It's on the fifth page of the realistic fiction top voted section.

rainbowwaffles said...
I haven't finished this yet, but I definitely will! What I've read of it is very good :) Maybe you could read some of my novel, The Formation? It's in the realistic fiction section. Thanks!

that_one_kid10 replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm :
I can't find your work :C