Today | Teen Ink

Today

December 16, 2019
By adicervantes123, Fort Worth, Texas
More by this author
adicervantes123, Fort Worth, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I love romance and fantasy novels 


A chasm echoing her screams as she fell into the abyss. The wind cut at her skin while her arms flailed looking for something that could stop her fall into the ebony below. She could feel the bottom approaching, she let out a final shriek before she met her doom. 

    Blair shot up from her soaked sheets - gasping. This was a reoccuring dream for Blair. It had become a routine. She calmed her heart and sat up removing the sheets drenched with sweat. She called for her new butler, Evan. Not even three breaths after, he was knocking at the door. 

    “Come in,” Blair demanded. 

    Evan quickly came in with his head bowed waiting for instructions. Blair could almost feel the fear rippling off him, she almost had to laugh. She assumed he had heard treacherous stories about her, some no doubt true. But she didn't mind, fear made her powerful and power was essential. 

    “The sheets need to be washed and replaced,” Blair said in a voice coated with honey.

    Deeming that was enough said, she strolled into her gaudy bathroom to comb her hair. Blair sat in an ivory stool that matched the rest of her quartz bathroom, and slowly brushed through tendrils of hair that hadn’t been unknot in days. Staring blankly into the mirror, Blair wrapped her hair into a knot on top of her head and called for Evan. She heard him before seeing him. His frantic stumbling trying to get to the door. He approached the lofty white doors but did not knock, surely trying to gain a semblance of composure. 

Already irritated from his clumsiness and hesitation she loudly said, “Evan, the longer you stand out there, the more time you're wasting, so come in, now.”

He slowly opened the door and slipped inside with crimson cheeks.

“What can I do for you, Miss Blair?” his voice shook as he spoke quietly.

“I need my bath drawn and for you to get Mary. Tell her to bring the pearly pinks and the makeup.”

“Yes Mam, right away. Would you like bubbles for the bath?” He said a bit more confidently.

Blair smirked “Of course, Evan.” 

“Right away,” he said quickly before scurrying to where he needed to go.

Soon after he left, Mary came in with her kit not even bothering to knock. She set down her things on the white counter and turned towards Blair with a scolding look. 

“Tell me why Evan comes to me quivering like a little boy every time he comes back from attending to you.”

Blair only smiled and made sure it was a mischievous one. Mary turned, rolling her eyes and looked into the mirror, tying her deep plum hair into a know. Mary was a woman of elegance and grace. Though she was three times older than Blair, she looked to be in her 30’s. She had few wrinkles on her pale skin and her physique had been maintained through her years. Mary was one of the only servants who truy knew Blair, that's what made her so bold when she spoke back to Blair. Blair didn't mind being spoken back to by Mary. It was refreshing compared to the servants like Evan who feared her. 

“Today is a big day for you, isn't it?” asked Mary.

“Indeed it is.” Blair replied grinning at Mary through the mirror. Mary only grinned back knowing exactly what would happen today. A knock came at the door interrupting their stare down. Mary made her way to the door, to open it. Evan was standing with a steaming bucket in his right hand and a bottle of soap in the other. Mary stepped aside to let him in and he quickly began making the bath. It took him a few more trips to fill the deep ivory tub, but he finished efficiently enough and left to go get the other handmaidens that would turn Blair into a ravishing woman that would soon take over the world. 

Two hours later Blair looked at herself in the mirror and gave the biggest smirk. She looked stunning, Blair already knew she was naturally beautiful, she could bring a man to his knees with a simple glance. But today she was absolutely radiating. Her high cheekbones were glittering and even more defined than before. With the coal smudged beneath her eyes and through her lashes, her eyes took on the mystery of a thousand tales. Her cheeks and lips had been dusted with rose bringing more life to her honey colored eyes. Mary had swept Blairs’ dark brown hair into an elaborate braid running down her back with strands framing her face. Pearls had been added through her hair to complement the pearls around her neck. Mary had truly outdone herself today. They had clad Blair in a deep satin emerald dress that accentuated her olive skin. The dress pooled on the floor and had exposed her back, only a single strap, haltering at her neck dipping down into a low neckline. 

“Oh, I look good.” She said more to herself than anyone else. 

“I do my job well - a very, very vigorous task - trying to make you look somewhat decent,” Mary grumbled sardonically. 

“Mhm,” Blair mumbled still admiring herself in the mirror. Blair looked at the clock on the wall and got up from her plush stool. Today Blair would do what she had always dreamed of since she was seven years old. The day she was abandoned and sold to a random merchant for a bottle of their finest bourbon. Shed been traded for bourbon. Her mother hadn't been there to stop him. She, of course, was in the ground, thanks to father. Blair had devoted her life to ruining her father the day she was sold. She climbed through the ranks in her slavery till she was sold to exactly who she’d wanted to be. Grand Master Turlem, the richest, most feared merchant in Syre. He was infamous for his brutality and always getting what he wanted. Blair had heard rumors that he sometimes took on slaves to become his apprentice in the mastery of assassinating. So when Blair was sold at seven, she searched for Turlem, in hopes to become his apprentice. At the age of ten he then found her, and made her the greatest hitman. She was soon feared by everyone in Syre. As her wealth and reputation built, she bought her freedom and now lived a luxurious life, looking for her father. Everything she had done had led up to today… the day she would ruin her father. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.