The Morgue | Teen Ink

The Morgue

September 7, 2019
By Merlinsliberty, Pagosa Springs, Colorado
More by this author
Merlinsliberty, Pagosa Springs, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments


                On July 26, 3099 the sun is beaming through the trees, birds are sitting in the branches while the wind is heaving leaves through the air like a slow parade. While inside the house Nichole is running around trying to find her things.

 "Honey where are my keys and my coat?" yells Nichole through the house.

"On the bench by the door," Dean mumbled to himself while trying to pour a glass of cold orange juice.

"Nevermind I found them, I'm going to be late to work see you there, love you," she says while rushing to close the door behind her.

"Love you too," he yells from the window.

“Finally we are home alone,” he tells the house dog named Blue. “Why don’t we go outside and play fetch.”

After playing with Blue, Dean sits down in front of the tv falling asleep only to wake up thirty minutes late to work. Getting into his 1969 charger, racing down the well worn rugged roads to work, thinking to himself, "Well good thing I'm my own boss, if not I will probably be fired by now."

After arriving at the hospital, putting his stuff in the locker, he goes to give Nichole her lunch she forgot.

"Thanks," says Nichole

"Yeah no problem, didn't want my wifey to get HANGRY"

"Haha very funny”

Incoming!  yells a paramedic coming through the double doors. Forty-six-year-old Amy, a white female had a stroke in her home and hit her head. We had to give three eppys and intubate.

"Put her in trauma room three!" says Nichole running to the patient.

“She is having another stroke,” yells the nurse.

“Give another epi!"

“Giving epi,”

“ Start compressions!”

“Charge to fifty jewels!”

“Charging, it’s ready,”

“Clear!” says the nurse emotionally

“I don’t have a pulse...”

“Stop everything!”

“Time of death 12:59 pm...” swallows Nichole, leaving the room and walking up to Dean with tears in her eyes.

“Oh come here, there was nothing you could have done. She would have had traumatic brain damage.”

“She’s in a better place now,”

“I know but still, it will never get any easier,” states Nichole.

“Does she have any family?”

“None that we could find.”

“I’m sorry sweetheart, but I’ve got to go downstairs and get ready.”

Going down the elevator entering into the morgue muttering to himself, “It is always so cold.”

“Yes, I agree,” says a strange raspy voice.

Almost jumping out of his skin, Dean turns around, rudely saying  “This is a restricted area only! How did you get down here?”

My name is Samuel Collin. I was part of the government agency. I am trying to stop them from killing half of the world's population. The lady Amy that just died we need to examine her body right away! She is going to have traces of antifreeze and dragonsbreath.

“Dragonsbreath?” questions Dean

“Dragonsbreath is a liquid that builds on the human body slowly forming ice crystals in the bloodstream, cutting off supply to the brain, but when paired with antifreeze it creates a chemical reaction changing the DNA keeping the body alive inside but causing the heart to stop,” states Samuel

“Are you saying she will come back to life?  Who is responsible for this act of murder life thing? ” asks Dean.

Pausing for a second... “The government... they are trying to make it look like an accident... trying to control the population” states Samuel. “They put the serum in the water supply. It targets the weakest systems first.”

A couple of minutes later still trying to comprehend what Samuel has just told him, “It isn’t up to the government to control the population,” says Dean.

“Why do you think I left? The world is corrupt...” rudely says, Samuel.

“They don’t care about people or the world. All they care about is the money invested into a person's life,” Samuel says. “Their philosophy is why wasting money on an old dying person when we can use that money to save young people's lives?” Their little experiment didn’t go as great after I found out their plan and left.   

Hearing the elevator and running footsteps, Nichole comes through the double doors out of breath yelling “She’s gone, alike vampire form got out of the bed.”  "It's happening..." says Samuel. Introducing himself, Samuel filled Nichole in on the details. “We need to get her back, run test on her and find a way to stop this virus!” says Samuel. “Get the suits,” said Dean, “ we can’t take any chances if it’s airborne.” Nicole secretly signaled her husband to lure him away from Samuel. “Can we trust him? Why should we help him?” questioned Nicole. “I don’t think we have a choice, we’ll be cautious,” reassured Dean.

After finding Amy in the dark streets of California, they brought her undead lagging body to an underground lab. They ran some tests on her only to find out there is no way to stop it. “It doesn't make any sense. Why killing someone and then bring them back to life?” Samuel says angrily... “That means anyone out on the streets could be infected,” Dean added. “So everyone will die and come back in a different form?” questioned Nicole.

“We must go back and try to quarantine as many people as possible now!” yelled Nichole, “Lets go above and see what we're up against!"

"No! We can't," begged Samuel. Beginning to get agitated, he started thinking to himself, I need to come up with something quick... "The agents are searching for me..." I barely escaped the first time. "We have to do something..." states Nicole, "time is running out."

Making their way up the long steep winding staircase from the lab, Dean and Nicole decided to run back to the hospital to get some supplies. The town they once loved, embraced to be full of life, and cheer, is filled with horror. People are dying everywhere, laying dead transforming into forms of life that have never been seen before, covering the streets and sidewalks with terror.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.