IQ | Teen Ink

IQ

By PersonMan, Coldlakeportcity, Newfoundland-Labrador
PersonMan, Coldlakeportcity, Newfoundland-Labrador

Author's note:

I like reading.

no thanks.

“Do you have the target’s location?”

“Yes, Ana. We have figured out that he lives in New York City, and we saw through his Twitch stream an open window, which revealed he lived across the street from a restaurant named 平庸的食物. A Google search showed that it is located in Chinatown. There is an apartment complex across the street from the restaurant, which must be where he is.”

“Are you sure?”

“Enough.”

“Be subtle when you attack.”

“As always, Ana.”

I woke up feeling tired and weird. I heard heavy steps. Thump, thump, thump. They were getting louder. THUMP, THUMP, THUMP. Then I heard the talking.

“In here, this is definitely his apartment.”

I got out of my bed quickly, my early-morning grogginess wiped away by the adrenaline now rushing through my veins,  and slid under it, careful not to make more noise. I heard a SLAM and my door fell down, people with guns and bulletproof vests entering the room. There were 4 people in total, each carrying an M4 rifle, looking around the apartment.

“Is he gone?”

“Keep looking.”

I laid under my bed, sneaking a peek out from under the bed. They were looking at my PC, with the webcam facing the window.

“See, this is the person who streamed himself playing Overwatch. I asked him, ‘Where do you live?’ and he was dumb enough to respond. I also saw that restaurant across the street and Googled it.”

“No one cares how you found it, Conner. You found it, and that's all that matters.”

As they were arguing, I bolted out from under the bed and made a run for the door.

“HE’S RUNNING!” I heard someone yell.

I heard a BANG and felt a sting in my back. Not a bullet, but a tranq. I tried to fight it, desperate not to lose consciousness. I watched as they all surrounded me as I stumbled to the ground. One, who I thought to be Conner, looked in their twenties, like everyone else, and had a pointed nose and sharp eyebrows. Then there was a girl, who looked the youngest, brushing back her dark brown hair, wearing a smirk and  mischievous features. She was glancing at the person next to her, who seemed to be the leader. He had a grim look on his face, with broad shoulders and and dirty blonde hair. There was one more lady, who looked a like a scientist, with bright, inquiring eyes, and a generally curious expression on her face. I tried to talk, but all that came out was a “mphmph.”

“He’s trying to fight the tranq, how pathetic,” the mischievous one added.

“Maybe his brain is trying to fight it,” said the scientist, curiously.

“No one's brain is that strong!” said Conner.

“Let’s just get him out of here,” said the leader wearily. No one argued with him. The leader took hold of my ankles and began to drag me out harshly.

“Help me out here Conner.” he said.

“Yes sir.” Conner replied quietly. I tried a last resort of kicking my arms and legs out, but all that happened was I twitched a little. I tried to fight back, but the tranq was draining all my energy. I desperately tried to stay awake, but I couldn’t. The last thing I saw was the leader’s grim face as he carried me down the stairs.

The first thing I felt was the bumping of a car on a road. I heard Conner talking first.

“What are we going to do with him?”

“We have orders from Ana to put him in the heavy security cells,” said the leader.

“Just like the other one?” Conner said.

“Just like the other one,” the leader repeated. I opened an eye and quickly realized  I was in the back of a van. I was tied to a pole, and I had a cloth that I supposed was a makeshift gag pulled tight around my mouth so I couldn’t talk. The mischievous one was guarding me and the scientist was sitting a little farther up. I assumed we were driving fast, so I wouldn’t have been able to jump out of the van, even if my hands were free. As my mind was racing, trying to figure out a solution to this problem, the mischievous one noticed I was awake.

“Hey, guess who’s finally awake guys!” I didn’t know what to do, and I sat there struggling to get out of the rope that tied me to the pole. The mischievous girl pointed a tranq at me.

“Try anything and I’ll shoot you,” she said fiercely. I complied for now and rested back on the pole, defeated. I looked out the window and noticed that we were getting farther and farther from New York, and hills were surrounding the road we were on. I wanted to fight against these people. They attacked me and stole me from my home. I knew these people were probably working for some corrupt organization, and when I realized that, I made my next goal. Fight to end this corrupt organization.

All heroes fight for what they believe in. Whether they are a made up character that fights crime like Batman, or someone real that fought for important things and changed the world, such as MLK Jr, they still fought for what they believed in. Some people fight for small things, some for large, but they all fight for a purpose.