The Hunt | Teen Ink

The Hunt

May 9, 2019
By Anonymous

I’m running, the tension is palpable. I have been in this realm of sorts. It looks like a dense forest, a little like the Amazon of Brazil. However, this area also contains my house. I realized that I spent a long time away from home taking the Atomic Spider down. Although I took it down, I was still running away from something. This time, it was a flying beast that is trying to tell me something. This creature probably colluded with the Atomic Spider and wants to warn me about my death. I refused to stop for it as the creature looked like a human moth, and those creatures are notorious for being treacherous to people it helps. It was my choice to choose fight or flight, but after my last battle, flight was the only thing on my mind. I kept on running.

As I ran, the same scepter I used to defeat the Spider had fallen down. It just appeared out of nowhere, staring at me with its ornate design. I was surprised to see it as it had left my custody moments after my victory over the spider. This is when I realized that I was in danger as the scepter would never appear if I was remotely safe. I was scared. I picked up the scepter. I then marked my ground. The Earth turned red as it shot out a voltage. However, this voltage was a parody of a normal lightning strike. I quickly fell down thinking the volt was real. After the dust cleared up, I heard a voice from a distance. It was a cackle. It was annoying to hear. Then I heard someone speak, it was a lady-like voice that told me of my kill count. I heard her carefully. I thought this was all a farce as an event like this has never happened in my 402 years of life. However, this was not the case as I was told that my kill count stands at 24. That is my true kill count. I could not think of any reason as to why this moth creature would follow me to tell me my kill count. I was puzzled.

I returned home that night. I had a new view to look out to this time, meaning that there was nothing notable to see as trees blocked anything imaginable. This gave me time to think. I invented theories as to why the creature had visited me. I eventually concluded that it sought me for two reasons: I was wanted by the government of my home planet for my kills or this creature was trying to challenge me to a duel. My mind favored the latter.

It was dark. I saw myself chasing the beast as I sensed that it would be near me. My hunches were confirmed when the scepter showed me my surroundings on a live feed. I went to the location to which the scepter showed me the creature was. Unluckily, when I teleported with the scepter, it made this loud noise. The beast disappeared, as a result, it knew that I was here. I ran towards the location of where the beast was before it left. I ran quickly to make sure that it did not leave a clue to help me figure out what it wanted with me. I approached the area and a rancid smell penetrated my nose. I peeked over a bush and I saw the viscera of a beast I had slain before. It was gruesome but suspicious to see the carnage of a past victim of mine. I knew this Mothman wanted to fight to the death. However, this realization came too late. I felt a strong sting on my wrist. It stung me at a sight where one of my sinews were. I thought this was the end, so I fell beside the grits to see it was a hologram. It was nice to see that I did not fall on the remains of a victim, but the pain stuck around. My scepter then lit up. It rose up and it shined a golden light towards me. The light was concentrated on my wrist. I was fine now. I tried to stand up, but I fell quickly. Even though my wrist did not hurt badly, the wound was noticeable.

A few days passed as I waited for my wrist to heal. It took about a week for my wrist to stop aching in any way. I had protected myself by concealing my house with a cloaking device that my scepter had. I came out of the house and I looked towards the setting sun. This sun looked red, it was the sun of justice. I walked towards a mirror. I looked into my eyes and saw eyes that sought restitution for what was done to me. I called upon my scepter and slammed it on the ground, so I can be teleported to the current location of the Mothman. I pointed my scepter at him and a ray came out. It was a strong one as he could not get up for a few seconds. Turns out, he was charging up for the battle we were about to have. He came at me and hit me with his wings. I tried to dodge but the steel wings expanded before I could jump back. I flew through the wall, but I swiped my scepter in the shape of a circle. A ray came out and it blinded him momentarily. I was free to fly around and throw a punch. Mothman fell to the ground. I smirked until I received a punch from behind. He had risen and punched me. I was angry and I held out my scepter like a sword. I drive to fight him like a Jedi. I made sure that my scepter turned into a stick with a spiky end. I had worked with this end only once before. Last time I used it, it lead to the beheading of one of my practice dummies. I was inexperienced with this feature, but I used it. I tried going for the abdomen. Mothman knew better though as he always protected his abdomen and head with all his might. He tried to fight back with his other two arms which were made of a substance that could pierce through diamonds and other network covalent substances. It was a battle to see who got the first hit as one blow would end us. Little did Mothman know that my scepter gave me a thin layer of Gluons which was resistant to anything. It was an exchange and the battle lingered as a stalemate for about 20 minutes. I eventually blinked and felt a nonexistent pain. I was struck by Mothman in a moment of weakness. I acted as if I was in excruciating pain. Mothman thought I was for real in my actions. He eventually laughed and started walking away to leave me in death. I pointed my scepter towards him and made a big thrust. The scepter had gone right through him. He fell down quicker than I died and gasped for his life. This was going to be the Quarter Kill.

He eventually stood up and looked at me with a fire red in his eyes. He tried to punch me, so I blocked him with my scepter. His punch was powerful as he knocked the scepter out of my hands. I was left without anything except myself who had killed 24 before. I jumped up and I fell onto him to give him a punch. He had a kick waiting for me when I got back. I fell down and I punched his face, but his leg made contact with this face. I was beaten. I could not go back, and he started approaching me as if he were to make a final blow. I sat there laughing at how this guy was going to kill me in a poor display. Mothman then spoke, “Sir, you are under arrest by the FBI of Kepler 1122CB for crimes against humanity. Your kill count has reached a total of 24, and some of those deaths have been of people who have tried to maintain peace throughout the universe.” I looked at him and spoke, “You son of a bitch, there is no damn person in this universe who has kept the peace. Even you, a whole officer almost left me for dead right now. How can you expect me to believe that you’re a government agent seeking retribution for the damn bureaucracy? Sounds like a whole bunch of crap to me sir.” I was punched again.

I looked over. I looked towards a small part of the horizon which was dark. I thought this was the end for me, but another creature came out of the shadows. It touched my head. I had quite a bit of power left to me, so I jumped back. I had no intention to make any amends with this creature even though it was sent to calm me down. It was good compensation for my work, but not like the moment I acquired my scepter. I tried talking to it, but it teleported out of my sight. It now stood in front of me, I stood frozen.

I suddenly could move. Mothman was still right in front of me and was making sure I was okay as I had to be taken to my planet for trial. A noise pierced our ears, it had the sound of the foundation letting loose. The area collapsed on our already beaten bodies. It did not look good for any of us.

I rose from the ashes slowly. The creature rose as well. I looked it straight in the eye as it looked straight at me. I knew only one of us would last. One little moment of weakness would result in defeat. I slipped. Luckily, I didn't fall. I looked at the creature and I felt penitent about the kills I have made. I have killed so many, and have done no good. I was scared to go so soon, especially when this battle had taken so much out of me. Especially when I had nothing to make the world more positive. Especially when I have killed many and made various enemies. In fact, that got me to the point I am now.  I could not fail at this moment. A huge grin appeared in my face as I looked hard at the creature. It was now a psychological battle. I slipped again and Mothman followed suit. Mothman looked at me with a face of remorse. I could tell he felt contrite. He picked a battle that he knew would be hard based on our histories. I rose up high and mighty. It felt amazing but I felt very weak as I limped frantically to find my scepter. It was nowhere to be seen.

Then came out of nowhere, a ship. This ship looked very familiar to me. It looked like the one I had crashed when I first made it to this planet. Upon making this realization, I knew it was an FBI ship from Kepler 1122CB. I started running even though I was injured. I quickly fell as I did not make it far from my location. I laid in pain as the ship hovered over me. I tractor beam came up. I was glad to see the beam, but hurt to see the ship as I knew something had gone wrong. I arrived on the ship. I was completely healed, but I was met by two officers. In unison, they showed me their badges and said, “Sir, you have killed your 25 individual and are going to be trialed by the Supreme Court of Kepler 1122CB for your crimes against humanity.” I looked at them with a smirk. I was wrong about Mothman.

I arrived on my planet. It was the first time I had come in a few years, but I was well known by everyone on the planet. I walked out of the ship and saw that my arrival was being broadcast with headlines about an immediate trial. I felt honored but knew that this trial was going to be biased as everyone saw me as a war criminal who is constantly looking for high profile victims. I was taken into a building which was big, white, and contained a statue of one of our most famous rulers: Soo Doo Smith. I then entered this building which was a single courtroom. The room was stunning with a nine white tint which did a good job to calm down my nerves. I saw the nine justices looking at me stern faces as the entire audience comprised of reporters, congressman, and the king/his council. I knew this was going to be bad.

I alienated myself from my society many years ago to make sure Earth was blind to extraterrestrial and paranormal activities. At least that’s what I told people after I was put on trial. Mothman was a government spy who wanted me dead based on orders from the King himself. I was being trialed for crimes against humanity, death of a King’s servant, and killing of a federal agent. I knew I was in trouble. Luckily, I had a lawyer and tried my best to make the government look bad. This method worked as I escaped prison time and quite possibly a gruesome death. I was sentenced to exile on Earth on a permanent basis.

I was placed back next to my house. I had a new life with my home being my official prison. I could not leave the planet unless the government needed my services as I was still one of their best assassins given that I killed the king’s personal assassin.

I walked out of my house. I looked towards the sky. It looked different, it looked uncanny. I took off my glasses straight away and gave them a thorough clean. I rapidly put them on to look once again. The sky stood still. Nothing changed. I turned to my house and it looked fine. I took off running from that area towards a place that had no sky visible. Then came the eldritch sounds reminding me of my exile and what that means for me. I sat by the tree crumbled up in a weightless ball which got rolled over easily.

I walked towards the backyard of my house and see a familiar face. My scepter is staring right at me. I turn around in fear as my wants start to overtake. I had to be righteous with how I use my scepter, and not use it for my personal use. I tried to fight these urges, but I couldn’t. What I was doing was benevolent as it would help my home planet from the misleading ways of their government. I reached for the scepter. I transported myself into the courtroom where only the nine justices, the legislative branch, and the executive branch were meeting. I could already hear the alarms sounding as everyone saw me. They turned around in shock as I screamed, “No more!” I held my scepter up high. This power was foreign to me, but after saying a few words, I let go. My scepter was put down with an extreme amount of force comparable to that of the strong nuclear force. I immediately teleported back to my house and put up a TV screen with my scepter to see what was happening on my home planet. I liked the scenes.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.