Out of Reach | Teen Ink

Out of Reach

December 22, 2018
By Devinm06, Yucca Valley, California
More by this author
Devinm06, Yucca Valley, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I think it's perfectly acceptable and rather admirable to be moderately delusional - Spencer Reid


4006, 1988 years into the future


  Do you ever wake up to a day where when you wake up to a headache and it hurts so bad you don't even want to walk over to the cabinet to get MEDs for the pain? Well, that was the day Reese was waking up to. She woke up just like that and even though it was almost noon, the headache hadn't even dulled yet. When Dex walked into Reese’s pod, or rather her part of the spaceship, he already knew something was wrong. That was one of the perks of being supernatural twins, they somehow seemed to know what was happening with you even if you didn't tell them.

  "Good news Reese, the ship is finally passing over Pluto. Which means we should be arriving at our destination in a week." Dex said with as much enthusiasm as he could muster "Okay, three things. One, do you mean one week our time or one week Earth time? Two, it's not our destination because we didn't choose to do this, we were bred for this, and three, don't say destination,it makes you sound like a GPS,'' Reese said as happily- and sarcastically- as she could with a splitting headache. Now that Reese knew that they were passing over Pluto she could determine that the headache was probably the work of the spaceship and it passing over Pluto. "Do you have a headache?" "No but I didn't have a headache last time we passed over Neptune either," Dex attempted to say without sounding happy even though Reese knew he was. Dex seemed to have adjusted to everything faster than Reese did after they woke up two years earlier to find only a note and enough food and supplies to last them a lifetime. It was like he was different than her in that way. Like he was bred differently and it was a better working adjustment to whatever they had done to her (she was older than him by one minute according to the note). As the MEDs started to kick in and the headache dulled Reese walked out of her pod and into the "living room'' of the spaceship.

  While Dex made them breakfast Reese started to read, To Kill a Mockingbird, it was her favorite book and had read it three times already. When Dex came out with breakfast and gave Reese hers he asked her what the book was about even though he already knew. It was something he did every time she read the book, like their own ''family''  ritual. Before she got the chance to respond, Hades ,their black lab- who according to the note is a support dog- which was supposed to help them feel normal but had really just become their little brother- came and jumped up onto the sofa with them. Which was a signal that he either wanted to be petted or wanted food too. '' If he wants food then it’s your turn," Dex said humorously. "Fine I'll do it, but only cause my headache is starting to go away, and because I know that if my head was still hurting you would have done it for me,'' Reese said with a smirk on her face as Dex stuck his tongue out at her. But they both knew it was true, Dex always felt bad if Reese didn't feel good and would end up doing everything for her and Hades.

   As she walked into the "kitchen'' she saw Pluto out of the right window, its soft blues, whites, and grays mixed together to make a kind of blue Reese could only describe as the clouds she saw in the photo albums from Earth that someone must have put in the ship. Then when she looked out the window in front of her she saw something pink streak across the sky. Which might have been usual except that it was pink, and the only thing that was pink were blockholes, which had pink edging in the pictures and were only to be found farther than Pluto was. "Dex! Come here," Reese yelled attempting to sound calm even though it was useless and Dex would hear the worry in her voice anyways. "What is it," he asked as he walked in, and right as Reese pointed to the pink, thing, streaking across their view something orange joined it. All of a sudden it grew even wider, and wider, until it was bigger than their ship. "What is that," Reese asked. Dex’s only reply before everything went pink and orange was a cut off version of an "I don't know.'' Then their world went black.

To this day the seventh generation of NASA scientist to attempt to figure out what went wrong has failed. To find even a hint of what they encountered and how to discover this out of this world thing once more seems impossible.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.