the ice box 2.0 | Teen Ink

the ice box 2.0

December 12, 2018
By jonth23, Monticello, Illinois
More by this author
jonth23, Monticello, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

more to the story

We are Flare and Red. We were walking by Mcdonalds and it started to hail, then we saw a man, who was frozen solid and falling from the sky. We ran behind the building. When the man hit the ground, the ice around him shattered. The body lay there. It looked to be about forty years old. We ran into McDonald's and used their phone to call an ambulance. When they arrived, they tried to pick up the body, but when a medic touched him the medic turned to ice. The medics put on special suit and put the body on the stretcher. They took him to the hospital. We waited outside the ER. When a doctor came out she told us that the man had severe hypothermia. She said he woke up and he remembered his name and where he came from but that was it.

    “What's his name?” asked Flare.

    “Razer,” said the nurse.

    “Raiser?” I asked.

    “R-A-Z-E-R,” said the nurse. “As in Destroyer.”

    “Why destroyer?” Asked Flare.

    “We think he used to be a veteran.” Said the nurse. “He was born and went straight to a military base. They trained and raised him as a soldier.

    That night Flare and I went to Flare’s house. We took notes on what we knew about Razer. I spent the night at Flare’s house. We went back to the ER that morning. We went into Razer’s room. He was wide awake, but he was staring blankly at the door. Flare waved his hand in front of Razer’s face. About fifteen seconds later, he jumped off his bed and started screaming. He ran around the room and tackled Flare. He was yelling so loud I could barely make out what he was saying. But I heard him say that it was our fault that he fell from the sky. the he pulled out a musket and aimed it at Flare.

    “No!” I yelled. Then I kicked him in the ribs.

    “Ow!” yelled Razer. He fell into his bed and was knocked unconscious. Then Flare started to freeze. I quickly picked up the lighter by the candles. I tried to unfreeze him but it didn’t work. Then I picked up a candle and melted the wax with the lighter. Then I dumped the wax on him. He unfroze. A few seconds later a nurse rushed in. She saw me with the lighter and Flare standing by the musket. But worst of all, she saw Razer laying on the ground unconscious.

    “You killed him!” yelled the nurse.

    “It’s not what it looks like,” said Flare.

    “It’s exactly what it looks like!” yelled the nurse. “Both of you out! NOW!” Then she kicked us out of the hospital. Literally.

    “Why won’t you let us explain?” asked Flare.

    “Oh I’ll let you explain. I’ll let you explain a quart tomorrow!” yelled the nurse.

    “Kids can’t go to quart!” I yelled back.

    “There’s no law that says a kid can’t go to court for killing!” yelled the nurse.

    “But we didn’t-” Slam! The nurse shut the door before Flare could finish. We knew we were going to be in serious trouble. But what we didn’t know, was that tomorrow would be nothing like we would expect it.

    At quarter, we went to the front of the room. The judge stepped on the podium. Then a police officer walked up to her. He handed her a bunch of papers. The doors to the room opened. Razer came rolling in on a wheelchair.

    “Razer,” said the judge. “You’re alive?”

    “Yes!” said Razer. “I was never dead.”

    “That’s what I ying to tell you!” yelled Flare. “We’re innocent!”

    “We’ll find out who’s innocent in a second. Razer, tell me everything that happened in the Emergency Room.

    “Well,” he said. “I wasn’t feeling very well. All I remember was jumping out of bed and being kicked in the ribs.”

    “Which of you did this?” asked the judge.

    “I was saving my Friend's life!” I exclaimed.

    “You were hurting a helpless man!” said the judge.

    “He was going CRAZY!” I yelled.

    “Then you should have-”

    “ENOUGH!” yelled Razer. “The Kid is right. I was going crazy. It wasn't their fault. It was my fault. I almost killed that kid!” He pointed to Flare. “The important thing is I'm not dead. So. Why are we even doing this?”

    “Fine. If you think it's not their Fault, then you be crazy. SECURITY!” yelled the judge. Flare and I jumped out of our chairs and ran to the exit. A police officer blocked us. He punched at Flare and Flare ducked. Then Flare punched the cop in the chest. I slid under a cop's legs and ran out the door. Flare followed. Two cop's ran after us.

    “Wait,” said Flare. “What about Razer?”


    “We have to go back for him!” I said. We ran around the back of the building. I looked through the window and saw the police with their guns pointed at Razer. The judge was asking Razer questions. Then we heard the cops talking and running around the back of the building. We hid in the bushes. The police ran past us but then they stopped. I snuck behind the bushes and stood behind the two cops. I reached for a cop's gun. I grabbed it. Then I pointed it at the other cop's gun. I pulled the trigger and the other cop's gun broke into pieces and fell to the ground. Both cops stared at me. I pointed the gun at a cop's chest.

    “Freeze,” I said. “Hands where I can see them!” They both put their hands up. “I'm going to go in there and free Razer. I want both of you to run far away. I don't want to have to pull this trigger again,” I said. And with that, they ran away.

    “We have to go in through the window,” said Flare.

    “But How?” I asked. “The cops would shoot us before we could get in.”

    “You could do what you did to that cop’s gun,” said Flare. So I climbed on the window. I slowly opened the window and aimed it at the first cop’s gun. I pulled the trigger and the cop’s gun broke to pieces. I quickly aimed my gun at the second cop’s gun I pulled the trigger but the cop stepped out of the way. He pulled out his gun and shot it at me. Luckily I fell out of the window in time. I dropped the gun and Flare picked it up. He jumped in the window and perfectly aimed it at the cop’s gun and the gun broke to pieces. He jumped in the room. I followed. The judge ran away.

    “Here’s how it’s going to work,” said Flare while pointing the gun at the cops. “I’m going to leave this place with Razer, and you guys are going to wait for us to leave. Red, get Razor.” I slowly walked over to Razer. I walked his wheelchair out the front door and around the back of the building.

    “Wait here,” I said. “I'll be back in a minute. I jumped in the window and into the building. “Let's go Flare” I said. He gave me the gun and climbed out the window.  I slowly backed up and started to climb out the window. It was kind of hard to climb out a window and point a gun at cops at the same time. Eventually I made it out. I sealed the window shut and hopped off the windowsill. We tried to run and push Razer’s wheelchair. We got to the hospital late at night. Running thirty miles to the hospital while pushing a wheelchair took a lot longer than riding in a car. When we got there, we walked to Razer’s room. But when we walked in, there was somebody else in it. We checked the room number, and it was the same as Razer’s room number.

    “Well look who came back.” We looked behind us and found the nurse and a policeman. “You must have been proven innocent,” said the nurse.

    “No,” said Flare. “We escaped. With tons of cops with guns guarding us.”

    “You must be very brave” the nurse said to us. “Take them away and take them to the juvenile detention center,” she said to the cops.

    “Actually…” I said. Then I quickly pulled the gun out of my pocket and shot it at the  cop’s gun. The bullet hit the gun, but this time the gun exploded and the cop’s holster caught on fire.

    “I’m getting pretty good at this,” I said.

    “How did you do that?” asked Flare.

    “Lucky shot?” I suggested. Then the cop patted his holster and the fire went out. He got up and charged at us. I dodged his attack and pressed the gun against his neck. I spun around him and wrapped my arms around his and put them behind his back. Flare took the handcuffs off the cop’s utility belt and locked them on his wrists. I shoved him on the ground and pointed the gun at him. Just then the nurse hopped on my back. I fell face first on the ground. I aimed the gun away from the nurse and fired it. Just like I expected, she jumped off my back and ran to the end of the hallway. She was cornered. Flare and I walked toward her. I kept the gun pointed at her. When we got close enough, I lowered the gun.

    “Why aren’t you helping Razer? I asked. “Why don’t you treat him like you would any other patient?” No answer. “Why?” I asked again.

    “He’s my brother,” she finally said.

    “So, maybe he is your brother. Why does that give you the right to turn him down? I asked.

    “When we were little, our parents died in a plane crash. My dad fought in world war two. One day, when we were nineteen, He decided the marine corp. He didn’t come back for years. And now, twenty years later, he falls from the sky in solid ice. I was so angry that I just couldn’t be near him, I couldn’t treat him.

    “Why would you be angry at him? He must have gotten hurt and fell into a frozen pond, and evaporated or something. He couldn’t help that,” I said.

    “First,” the nurse said. “it’s impossible for something that heavy to evaporate. And second, He chose to join the military. He could help that.” Then Razer rolled up to us in his wheelchair.

    “I know it was a mistake,” said Razer. I wanted to be like my dad. I didn’t realize the risk I was taking. I should have asked your opinion first. I’m sorry.”

    “It’s okay.” said the nurse. “I’m just glad you’re alive.” That night, the nurse found Razer an open room. A few days later, Flare and I went to visit Razer at the hospital. We went in his room, but he wasn’t in there. Nobody was. Nothing was left in there. Except for the bed and his wheelchair. We ran as fast as we could to the front desk.

“Where’s Razer?” asked Flare.

    “He’s healed. He lives in a condo.” said the nurse.

    “Which condo?” I asked.

    “Water’s Edge,” said the nurse.  

    “Thank you,” said Flare. Then we ran out the door. We eventually found Water’s edge. We went up to the front desk.

    “We’re here to see Razer,” said Flare.

    “Okay,” said the worker. “What’s your name?”

    “I’m Flare, and this is Red,” said Flare.

    Then the worker talked into a cordless phone,” Razer, Flare and Red are here to see you.” Then she put the phone back on the base.

    “What room is Razor in?” asked Flare.

    “Room one one three on floor five,” said the worker. We walked to the elevator and pushed the number four button. When we got out of the elevator, we found his room and knocked on the door.

    “Come in!” said Razor from the inside. We went in, and he was sitting on a couch watching TV.  “Hello boys,” said Razer. It was kind of awkward going in there and acting like we knew him so well because he had never really talked us him personally.  

    “You’re all healed!” said Flare. How long ago did you move in?”

“Oh, about three days,” said Razer. “I didn’t have much stuff in my old house so it didn’t take long to unpack.” He was right. There wasn’t very much stuff in his room. He looked a lot different than the last time we saw him. In the hospital he looked pale, but now, he was tan like he had just taken a week-long vacation on the beach in Florida. He had definitely lost weight and wasn’t as big. His hair had grown a little and had a pin in it. “Come and sit down,” he said. We both sat down on the two-seater couch by the TV. He was watching a slideshow of pictures of him in his military uniform, pictures of him with some other people wearing the same uniform as him, and pictures of him with a gun telling other soldiers where to shoot.                                    

    “These are pictures of you in the military,” Flare decided.

    “Yes,” said Razer. “before I fell into a frozen pond and turned to solid ice.”
    “So it’s true,” I said. “You did fall in frozen water.”

    “I was shot in my shoulder,” he explained. “and I stumbled backward. Then I fell into the frozen pond.”

“But how did you end up in the sky?” I asked. “I mean, the nurse/your sister was right. It’s impossible for something that heavy to evaporate.”

    “I don’t know,” he said. “All I remember is being shot and falling into a frozen pond, then waking up in a hospital.”

    “Well maybe-” I started talking but then the door busted open. Five cops ran in the doorway with their guns pointed at us.

    “Freeze!” yelled a policeman. “Hands up!” We slowly put our hands up.

    “We’ve never taken on this many before,” I whispered to Flare and Razer.

    “We’ve never done this as a team yet,” Razer whispered back. Razer slowly brought his hands behind his head. He pulled the pin out of his hair. He brought his away from his head. Then all of a sudden, the pin became thicker. He quickly pointed it at the cops and pushed a button on the pin multiple times. Then when I looked back at the cops, they all had needles in their chests and they fell backwards.

    “Hurry!” Grab three guns for us, and put the other two somewhere in this room where they won’t find them.” said Razer. Flare and I grabbed the guns from the cops and tossed one to Razer. Flare and I both put a gun in our pocket. We put the other two in Razer’s closet. Then the cops started to moan. Some of them were moving. A few seconds later, one sat up. He quickly remembered why he was here and shook the other cops awake. We pulled the guns out of our pockets. We each pointed them at a different cop. One cop charged at Flare. Flare shot at him, but the cop rolled under the shot and took Flare off his feet. Razer expertly shot the cop repeatedly in different spots, all of the bullets barely sliding across the top of his back. They made little bloody scratches and the cop jumped off Flare. The other cops charged at Razer and I, but the one cop got back on top of Flare. I was trying to find the perfect angle to shoot the cop without hitting Flare but a different cop came up to me I pointed the gun at him, but the cop went under the gun and picked me up. He trapped my arms behind my back and pulled his handcuffs off his belt. I shot the gun, not knowing where it would go but I heard the cop groan. His hands left my back. I quickly stood up, turned around, and pointed the gun back at the cop. I looked down, and his hand was bleeding. I ran over to Flare and kicked the cop that was on top of Flare in his head and the cop stumbled off Flare. We both got up and ran over to Razer. The other three cops were punching  Razer. Flare pointed the gun at the cops. I went around them and grabbed a cop’s shoulder. I pulled him back and punched him in the gut. Then I hit him in the back of the head with the gun. The cop fell to the ground. Flare got ready to pull the trigger.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.