Storm drain :shortstory | Teen Ink

Storm drain :shortstory

Storm Drain

When you’re a kid you think that the whole entire universe revolves around you. You think that you will always be protected and cared for. One day you realize that that's not true, because when you are alone the monsters see you as weak and vulnerable you don't even know they are getting close until it's too late. Hershey, Pennsylvania is a quite simple town. Nothing ever happens here, no theft nor no murder. But there is one thing no one ever talks about. There are things that creep in the night. In the spring, on a rainy Saturday night in the town of Hershey, Pennsylvania, a little girl named Claire went missing. Claire is my very best friend in the whole world and I love her so much. One night she disappeared.  

Claire and I decide to make a paper boat made out of last Sunday's news paper, there is nothing else to do in this town. It was raining really hard and the water was flowing down the street like a river and running fast into the storm drains. The water was going down the street so hard that it was picking up the trash and little things left by the townspeople. The storm drains eating up the trash likes it's never eaten a meal before. Claire asked, ¨Ethan, want to come play outside with our new boat?¨

¨Mom wants me to stay and eat dinner, then I'll be out there, promise¨, I replied. After I finished dinner I was allowed to go outside. Heading outside I seen Claire put down the boat to watch it go down the street and it took right off like a freight train. Claire bolts, running as fast as she can as I followed. We realize the storm drain is in sight. Our boat got getting wicked close to it. So Claire picked up her speed but when she did, she smacked her head on a construction sign. I finally caught up with her.

¨Are you okay Claire?¨ I said.

¨ Yes, Yes let's go!!!!!¨ she said quickly. As she gets up we realized it just went down the drain.  I watch her run to the drain and try to look down it. I started jogging down to her.

Claire started screaming ¨AHHHHHHHHHHH¨

¨Here you go little girl do you want IT back?¨” said an unknown voice. As she reaches out to grab it, I yell ¨CLAIRE DONT”, but it was too late. The strange thing with a really white face grabs and pulls her down the storm drain. I run upon the drain and both of them are gone. Everything is quiet and still.

I just sit there for a minute and think of what i’m going to tell everyone when they ask where Claire is. I keep yelling, “Claire, Claire” and got no response. I reach my hand down in there and I felt something on my hand, I thought it was Claire but the hand i thought it felt kind of big, dirty and rough, that's not like her hands. Suddenly, the strange thing grabs me by the hand and pulls me right into the storm drain.  I couldn’t see whose face it was but he had a tight grip on my arm. As he pushed me back into a little room, he turned and i saw his face. It was a clown. The scariest clown i've ever seen. Blood dripping out of his mouth, really dark eyes. Trying to hold back my pee from being scared, I started to yell, “help, help someone please.¨ He snatched me up and pushed me into this tight closed in room, there were others including Claire! The room was smells very strongly of chocolate, but not any you want to eat. The other kids were crying of fear, I didn't know what to do.

We felt happy to finally see each other but not so happy about being trapped down in the drain. Claire and I made the decision to make an escape, which is hard considering he has lookouts. The others told us that the clown and his helpers all leave around the same time everyday, so that was our chance.

¨ why haven't yall escaped yet, if y'all knew that?¨One of the boys named Charlie said,

“Every time they get to the door an alarm sets off and it goes to the workers under him so we get caught, but there is a secret door.

” There is a way we could all possibly get out. Claire and I put together this plan so each of us could get out. I watch out for anyone there that’s againsts us while claire gets keys to get out of the secret door.  If we have any chance to escape, it would be now.

We all run around trying to get everything right before they came back and it was too late. We finally have our plan that I grab the key from the room, and Claire will be at the secret door waiting so all of us could get out all at once. If we are trapped in this room, how could we ever get out at all. So we start looking around for ways to get out. Finally, a little girl named Sarah in there along with us, found a key under a little jar. I quickly grab the key and put it into the lock. It opens.

¨ yayyy¨ everyone screams. Every single one of us cannot believe it.But the happiest of all are the ones who have been down there for who knows how long. I instantly run straight to the side room to get the key for the secret door. I got it but everyone starts to yell at once,

“No Ethan he’s coming.”

He shouts “WHAT.” I´m thinking I have the key I can’t stop now. So I grab it and run as fast as I can, I slid the key down the hall to Claire. She opens the door and there stands the clown. I look around for something, anything a weapon to fight back with. We will get out of here. I see a little bat on the floor by a pile of trash.

By this time, she had already been fighting back the clown turns his back and that was his worst decision. I hit him and hard as I could in the back of his head. He fell and I yell to the others, “He’s out. Come on, come on.

” We all come running out and it has never felt better outside again. I see cops so I run over to them and i begin telling them all about us and what he and his workers have been doing. THe police walks over to them and arrest them right away. ¨MOM MOM MOM,¨ we all scream. Now this is something for a small, quiet town where rarely anything happens.