Alice's Wonderland | Teen Ink

Alice's Wonderland

By Extra_ordinary BRONZE, Auburn, California
Extra_ordinary BRONZE, Auburn, California

Greetings! If you have read this, I will notify you that it might take some time to write the rest of the chapters. However, I will try finishing a chapter per 1-2 weeks, maybe 3. I hope you guys are having a great day or night!

Chapter 1

I woke up from my bed. A dry sensation was in my throat so grabbing my satchel, hanging on a brass hook on the wall, I turned my head towards the window opening my eyes towards the world. The windows were frosted, and light snow had made its way through the forest. The satchel filled with water, I untied the top and tasted the sweet, cold water inside. I eagerly got up to get the crystals that played in the waterbeds before the morning ray of sunshine died down. The room felt cold and quiet; nothing seemed to make a slight sound except for the creaking of floorboards. The air smelled like rotting wood and reminded of mother’s house. But, she’s not here anymore.

The stairs were small as usual, and the kitchen was still empty. The room felt quite lonely, without a single person to greet me anymore or say “Good morning Alice.”

Ginger, my incredibly fat cat, had broken the silence as he cried for me to pick him up, and so I did.

“Come to greet me in the morning like you always do?” I asked my cat. “It seems like you’re getting a bit fat for me to hold you…”

I set him down and walked towards my coat hanger. The torn hooded cloak hanging on the hook grew seemed to grow elderly every day. But no bother, It still has some good days left in it. Winter had made its way through the fall, and the first snow kissed the top of my nose. In the middle of the woods was a cottage holding a lonely woodland elf, a cat, and a horse to keep me company.

The name of my horse was Bayard. He was strong, bold, and a gentle beast to nature. Before I saddled myself onto him, I slipped on my hood and brushed my hair forward to hide my ears, just like Mother had once said.

Bayard was a big horse, and he wasn’t like the others. One might say he doesn’t look a day older than 95. He’s been passed down for generations, from my great-grandfather, grandfather, to my mother and finally myself. He’s an exquisite boy, and I’m glad that he’s here with me. He brings memories back when I was a child.

“Bayard, you ready to go?” I teased. I always get conscious about my surroundings because of how I usually talk to animals or myself but, I’m in the middle of nowhere so I don’t see how that matters.

After a long ride, the creek was crystal clear this morning, and I could pick out the different gems hiding beneath the rocks. It always surprises how nobody ever comes here. The trees provide the best shade and just letting the perfect amount of light to pass through. The crystal-rich creek offers valuable items to trade at the town; It’s an ideal haven for humanity.

The birds had sung a few minutes ago. I wonder what happened? Everything started to get quiet. Something's not right.

“Steady men. Don’t scare her off…”

“Who’s there?” I quickly asked.

I had put my hand towards my bow, prepared to defend myself. Why can’t men leave us alone; We don’t contain any magic, or what I remember. We’re just another species with the intelligence of men.

“Hello, pretty girl,” a man said with a gruff- dopy voice.

I targeted my bow towards the noise and steadied myself. I wasn’t going to die today, and never was I going to die to… murderers.

“I can see stupidity running through your veins, Men. Unfortunately, I must say, I don’t suppose that’s the reason you look like a molding onion.” I probably had made my situation worse, but they did look like disgusting creatures.

“Fire!” the first man said.

The traps were set fire towards my direction, and everything around me grew dark. I felt myself on the cold rocks. My legs soaked by the creek. A net was around me, steal balls pinning me down. Relentlessly, I tried to get the net off before I heard the stomping of boots against the dried wilted flowers. Spears were by my side a few seconds later.

“Any last words, Elfy?” the dope man said.

“I-....” I stuttered. I covered my face, feeling hopeless.

“Pardon me, men, but, I believe you are hurting the lady. Will I be any help to escort you out of the forest?” a polite voice said.

I couldn’t help but peek through my hand to see the who this voice belonged to. It appeared to be a man, he was tall and had brown hair. His eyes looked like luminous emeralds that you could get caught in a trance looking at them. I wouldn’t say I was in awe, but he looked like a kind gentleman.

“We don’t need your help, pretty boy!” a man said.

“I sincerely believe I should take matters to my hand. Please step aside.” he addressed as he was walking towards the group. Without making eye contact, he appeared to give a hand signal. From what I saw it looked like he was trying to tell me to cut the net. I didn’t have any blade with me but… arrows. Without wasting any time, I began cutting the netting.

“We can handle things from here hehe... You can go back to putting on your makeup!” the dopy man giggled with the rest laughing behind him.

“Might I mention that you sound more retarded than you look,” he said with a grin.

Holding in a laugh was one challenge I had. I have never been in a dangerous situation while having so much fun. But I went back to cutting the ropes while enjoying the entertainment.

After a few minutes of cutting the ropes and hearing the two men discussing issues of their beauty, I managed myself out of a tied of situation.

“Well, I’ll see you guys later. Please, I would love to hear more about your issues, but I think dinner’s calling.”

That dopy guy’s face was priceless. He looked pretty decent instead of sounding like a molding onion. I have to thank that guy later for saving my back. It created a delightful sensation knowing that a person cared about woodland elves. I finally felt like some of the people in society started accepting us.

Whistling for Bayard, the moon and stars had set in their places. It started getting cold, so my hands were shaky as I tried to find my horse. No matter what I did, the air from my lungs could not warm my hands and face. I was surely not prepared for the fallen night.

“Bayard! Bayard where are you?” I called. Not a single sound. I felt a part of me was lost; Bayard would never leave me. He isn’t the kind of horse that will leave you for a bale of hay, even a wagon filled with carrots.

I thought he would be at the cottage but not a sight of a big horse with a short tail to be seen. I began to worry that someone had captured him to sell at an auction. But nothing's going to change if I don’t actually try and find him. Nothing will change until someone has made a decision.

As I begin gathering supplies, or actually just an oil lamp I walked towards Bayards personal stable just to make sure there weren’t any fresh tracks or at least any sign of him recently coming here. Nothing.

If mother was still here I’d be a carcass for the Fenrir. That monstrous wolf who lived in the depths of the forest, feeding on the lost and the forgotten. A prize amongst most soldiers but instead becomes the deaths of the greedy. I turned around to continue my search and a shadowy figure caught my eye. It appeared to be walking towards me. I grabbed the nearest thing near me, which turned out to be a stick.

“Who is it?” I asked the figure.

As the figure moved closer with the help of moonlight I began to make out his/her face. I relaxed my hand holding the stick and smiled when I saw the horse next to him. It was Bayard with a boy at his side, a familiar face who helped me down by the creek.

“Excuse me Miss, you left your horse out in the woods.” he said without making eye contact.