The Minds Of Madness | Teen Ink

The Minds Of Madness

October 8, 2018
By Anonymous

Author's note:

It's located a dystopian version in new york 

                The Minds of Madness

The factories ran New York. They had every politician in their back pocket, and due to the ignorance and greed of politicians, The Factories had free reign over the city. The New York skyline was engulfed by smog, so much so, that a constant dimness surrounded the streets. The people of new york did not like the smog, but the factories filled their pockets so much, they had no choice but to deal with it. People were happy, but if the factories kept their free reign, the climate would collapse and the ozone would disappear. No one wanted to do anything about it. Until a man by the name of John Doe, spoke out against the factories. John sought out to rid the world of the factories, anyway possible. John’s rebellious and violent behavior inspired many people across New York to riot and protest, and John was the Mind behind the Madness, or so the media had referred to him. Eventually the riots got so bad, everyone associated John Doe was exiled from the city, and out of this band of self righteous exiles, the members formed ‘The Minds of Madness’.

It seems like a commendable cause, or at least that’s what I try to convince myself. But it gets less and less believable after each job. Innocent People get wrapped in it, or ‘necessary casualties’ as my dad puts it. An organization that will do anything to get the job done, is one that can’t get anything done, and that’s where my fathers judgement shows it’s faults. We were all huddled inside a dark inconspicuous van about to put our biggest job yet in motion. We were going to bring down Capital Hall. The crew was made up of five people. My father, the captain of the team, he had been in the Minds of Madness’s leash for over 20 years now, he was a brave man, but had no self respect.. Joshua, a small statured, tactical genius, with glasses as thick as bullet proof glass. Henry, a man who kept mainly to himself, he was good with a lock, but that’s all i knew about him. Baily, a cute blonde girl with the brains of einstein. She was the only one I could actually stand to be around, then there was me I wasn't particularly smart, but I had bron, and determination, I was as more stubborn than a mule running a film company, that’s what my father thought of me. However, he didn’t think much else.

“Alright team, this is possibly the most important job we have, or ever will do”

 My father said, staring directly at me.

            “Stick to the plan”

He got real close to me, and starting talking in a quiet and intense tone

             “Don't let your emotions cloud your better judgment jasper.”

The van halted to a stop.

             “Let’s go”.

We all left the van at separate times, every ten minutes the next person would, as to not attract suspicion. Me and my father went out together. He didn’t trust me, probably for a good reason. As we walked towards the front entrance I started getting nervous, could I actually pull this off? The capitol building looked so different in person. It looked real. Not like a plan sheet, or blueprints, but a real place with real people. My father noticed my hesitation and knocked it out of me, with a quick whack to the back of my head.

“This is happening Jasper don’t f it up.”

He was right, this was happening whether I wanted it to or not.

As me and my father walked in, I couldn’t help but notice the people around me, they had no idea what was about to happen. This was just a normal day to them. This didn’t feel right. We were bringing justice to the world. But did we really have to sacrifice these people? And if so how many more people would we have to sacrifice before the cause was complete. It made my stomach hurt. I overheard my Joshua speak to my father.

“The explosives are in place, ready when you are”

These people were going to die, I had to stop that from happening. I rushed to my father.

“Dad, we can’t be doing this”

He gave a look of immeasurable disappointment,

           “What did I say about your emotions son”

I looked down to might feet.

           “We don’t care about casualties, how are we any different from the factories”

He looked at me in silence. Then gave the signal.

“Everybody get out!” I shouted, as my dad socked me in the face, flooring me in an instant. Him and the rest of the group ran for the door. I heard a gunshot, then another and another, suddenly my entire team was lying on there motionless. Two cops ran up behind me and handcuffed me.

Had I just killed my friends, yes I had just saved the people inside, but at what cost. Was I any different from my father, sacrificing my friends...for the greater good



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.