The woman and the Lion | Teen Ink

The woman and the Lion

By kvspencer03, Affton, Missouri
kvspencer03, Affton, Missouri

When a door closes, another door should open, but if it doesn't then go in through the window.

Author's note:

I wrote this peice originally for a class in my freshman year, but I got really into it and made it o much more than a project. I am thinking one day to right an entire novel based on this shor story, but am still unsure how it would turn out. But I hope you enjoy it in it's entirity.

“Dead.” I bark, out of breath.

Samson was lying on the ground with his face in the dirt. My sword pointed at the center of his back. He was laughing, his bright blue eyes glowing. I remove my sword so he could stand up. I was grinning from ear to ear. Again, I had won.

“We have practiced enough for today.” Laughing, he pushed his course blonde hair from his face. As he stood, he sheathed his sword in it’s belt. I sheathed my own, staring intently at his chiseled features as I wipe the sweat from my brow.

“Why? Because you don’t want to get your royal butt beat by a girl again?”

“No, it’s because you smell like a horse and could really use a bath.” he explains, humor written all over his face. I kiss him sweetly on his cheek. Samson took my hand in his, and my heart skips a beat. We start walking to the castle, its gleaming windows reflect the setting sun behind us.  I could see the mountains in the distance, still snow-capped with the return of spring. I could smell the flowers in the castle gardens, and could hear voices as people tended to them as we got closer to the entrance. As I saw all this, and walked inside the large castle doors, panic continued to tug at my stomach at the one thought now constantly on my mind. All of this would soon be mine, and it scared me half to death.

***

As the sun rose the next day, Samson and I rode over to town on our horses, the wind blowing on our faces. For the dreaded coronation soon to take place at the castle, my mother had a carnival set up in town. My mother, always being over-protective, thought it best we had some guards by our side, but Samson and I refused, saying it would only bring more unwanted attention by the townsfolk. She gave in, but only on the terms that we be back in the castle walls before sundown. We agreed.

Tomorrow, I would be the first queen in history to rule besides my mother. What if I mess up? How will I know if the decisions I make are correct? These questions always raced through my head are the reasons I went to the carnival. Hoping that getting away from the castle will ease my tension about ruling, maybe keep me distracted.

We turn our horses in to the crowded stables and walked towards the mass of people, tents, and stands. The laughter and conversation was so loud it hurts my ears, but I couldn’t care less. I loved all the excitement. I pulled Samson to a lot of different stands, some containing food and trinkets I had never heard of nor pronounce the name of. I forgot my age and acted like a child. I tried a variety of food, some that I have never tasted before and found delicious, while Samson admired the trinkets, and even bought a few. By the time I was finished with all the food, the pit in my stomach had turned into an ache.

When I told Samson this, he laughed and said we should see some of the performers before trying anymore food. He took me over to a fire dancer. The man swallowed fire and twirled it around his body. I could feel the heat from where I stood. Smoke was getting into my eyes, but I was too mesmerized by the flames to care. The fire was twirling so fast that it looked alive. There was applause from the people who stopped and watched. I was the last one clapping, only stopping when I felt a little hand lightly touch my arm. I stopped, and looked down at this little girl in a clean and fairly new light brown dress with white lace. She had long brown hair, brown eyes, and a nose that was a little too big for her face. A feeling stirred--did I recognize her?  A cloud came over my mind before I could recall.

“Hello ma’am. Would you like a fortune?.” she asked. She had a sweet but confident voice. She couldn’t have been more than eight years old but she seemed more mature than most kids her age. I instantly took a liking to her. I look over at Samson, putting on my best pleading eyes and a little sarcastic pout. He had a puzzled look on his face for a moment, like he almost recognized her too, but it quickly disappeared and he chuckled. He placed his hands on my shoulders and kissed me on the top of my head.

“Meet up with me by the tightrope-walkers when you are finished. Don’t be too long, I don’t want to have to go and look for you.” He teased, then headed towards the practicing performers, leaving me light on my feet. Once again I was only out of my trance when the girl pulled on arm again, a little harder this time.

“Come with me miss, I ‘ll show you where you can get your fortune.” She pulled me through the crowds, weaving in and out of people and stands. The little girl was practically running. She was quite fast, and had it not been for my daily training with Samson, it would have been difficult to keep up with her. In that moment, I realize this is how Samson must felt with me pulling him along every which way. I would have to apologize to him later.

We finally stopped at a small tent on the far side of the fair. Very few people were heading towards this direction, probably thinking the other attractions were more interesting. This part of the fair had an eerie feeling that I couldn’t quite place. Despite the early spring warmth, I shivered. The girl entered the tent. As I made a move to follow, she popped her head out.

“Stay there a minute, she needs to prepare for your arrival.” she explained. Before I could ask any questions she pulled her head back into the tent. So I stood there and waited. I could hear muffled talking inside the tent, the high pitch voice of the little girl, and a deeper voice that also sounded female but much older, along with other noises: glass clinking and wood moving around. This went on for about two minutes before the tent flapped open again. The girl came out, took my hand and slowly led me inside without a word.

The interior of the tent was surprisingly large. Outside, I measured maybe twelve paces across, when the inside seem to expand to twenty paces. It was quite dark, lit by only a few candles. What the candles did light up however, was a collection of trinkets and books that would look random to anyone who would see it. But as I continues to look around, I could see that the items were in neat stacks and piles, almost as if it was organized in a way that I couldn’t comprehend.

In the center of the tent sat a small table with three stools, one occupied by a woman. She looked to be in her late thirties with very similar features to the little girl. She had a few gray streaks in her hair, but she seemed to have aged marvelously well. Her dress seemed to be in the same state as the little girl, though she also had a shawl around her head. Her hands, which were placed on the table, though clean, had calluses and a few scars, giving the intent that she knows her way around a sword. Her face was stern, and her eyes seemed to hide great knowledge behind them.

The girl walked ahead of me and sat down next to the woman, who I could only assume was her mother, and gestured for me to sit across from the woman. I walked over to the chair and sat down. The woman did not introduce herself, in fact she hasn’t said anything since I walked in. She produced a deck of tarot cards, but these looked slightly different than most I have seen. They had strange scripture written on them and different symbols.  She then said two words as she spread the deck of cards in front of me.

“Pick three.” A command, not a request.

I looked at the deck of cards in front of me. My hands move on their own and picked three cards. Two from the left, and one in the center. I was unaware I took any cards at all until I touched the center card. It almost made me flinch as I picked it up. It felt alive and full of energy. I held a shaky hand with the three cards out to her. She took them, keeping her eyes fixed on my face. She smiled slightly.

“There is nothing to be afraid of, you can relax.” she said in a assertive but calm, soothing voice. I instantly relaxed, though I was still aware of my surroundings, keeping everything in mind. Even the pit of dread in the center of my gut, which grew when I thought of the crown, lessened. “These three cards represent your past, present and future. First we will start with your past, and talk about what you have done and how you feel now.” She placed the first card I chose onto the table and turned it over. The front of the card revealed six golden chalices facing right side up.

“Just as I suspected,” she said. “Many people, especially in the royal family, have this card as their past. The card means that you have had a very happy childhood full of generosity and kindness.”  She sighed, “Though it was also full of ignorance from the world around you. Currently, you wish you could live in the days of the past, not wanting to have responsibilities and where there were no rules besides to come home after dark.” She explained.

I almost didn’t believe her. It was a very simple answer that could have been said by anyone with a brain. I considered leaving and joining Samson where the tightrope walkers were performing. But that was exactly how I viewed my past. I always wanted to crawl back to my childhood and have no worries. Maybe it sounded generic because that's how my past was. Now I was less sure. I decided to stay and let her finish my fortune. I was too curious not to.

“You do not entirely believe me, do you?” she asked, reading my mind. The little girl beside me tensed. I had almost forgotten she was there. I was about to object, not knowing what I would say, before she started to speak again. “Most people don’t at first. This may be because I don’t give them much about their past. They know what they did in the past, why would I need to repeat it to them in detail? Now let my read your present, and see if you still don’t believe me afterwards.” She said in an assertive tone. I am sure even my mother would shut her mouth at this fortune teller's voice. That thought made me smile a little. I nodded for her to continue. The little girl relaxed beside me. The fortune teller then took out the second card and turned it over. On this had a wheel of sorts in the center surrounded by angels and clouds. The wheel had symbols in the center of a language I didn’t know. This card was also right side up.

“Ah, now fewer get this card than the last one. This card is about change. A big change is about to happen in your life. For the better most likely. This change will give you untold opportunities. You have to decide what to do with those opportunities. I have given this card to some, and they turned their good luck into bad luck, despite it being right side up. But I believe you should have no worries when you become Queen.”

She said this so matter of factly that I almost didn’t notice she knew I was going to be queen. Almost. How could she know that? The people believed that Samson would take the crown when we married, but the court and my mother decided it best for me to take the crown, though they haven’t told the public yet. How could she know?

I tried to hide my surprise, but she saw right through me.

“Don’t be surprised. What did you expect from a fortune teller? Unless, of course, you believe that I am not who I say I am. That maybe I am a spy of sorts, come here to take you away with me so the kingdom will fall apart, hmmm?”

She said this with a some amusement, smiling, the corner of her mouth upturned. I can feel my face turning red of embarrassment. My hands were damp with sweat I looked at the little girl. She seemed tense again, maybe even more so than before. I looked back at the woman sitting before me. Meeting her, I could already tell she is much tougher than she looks. Her soft face and smooth skin give cover to a hard shell underneath. It would not surprise me if she was a spy. I am positive she would be wonderful at it. But even with her tough demeanor, I sensed she meant me no harm. My heart racing, I try to return my own amusing smile, though it felt more like a grimace.

“Turn over the third card please.” I squeak. This was the card that scared me the most. The one in the middle that made me flinch. The one period of time that I’m most afraid of. What If the card predicts my near death? What if I go down as the world's cruelest ruler? What will the people do when they find out I am going to rule instead of Samson? All these questions raced through my mind in the milliseconds it took to reach for the card. My heart skipped a bit and I could feel my throat getting tight as she turned it over. On the card there was a young lady dressed in a white robe with an infinity symbol atop her head. She was standing in a empty field with mountains in the background. But she was not alone.

The woman stood beside a large lion.  Both her hands were on the lions head, but the lion still stared intently at her. She had nothing to protect herself with, nor did she try to run. She stood, staring right back into the lion’s eyes. Waiting. Waiting for what? For him to pounce? Was she a fool not knowing she was in danger? I felt myself start to tremble, unable to stop. Panic gripped my stomach. I looked at the lady, with my pleading, teary-eyed vision, hoping to get an answer before my heart exploded. Her face remained blank, staring at the card. Finally she spoke.

“I have never drawn this card before.” she said, still looking at the card. My stomach dropped. I tried telling myself that it was just a game, that the fortunes are always fake. Yet I believed with every fiber in my body that whatever that card meant would be my fate. I tired to have self control, but my hands started shaking and a single tear strayed down my cheek. Finally the lady looked up at me with a straight face, until she saw the tear on my face. She gave a small smile, and stood up from her chair. She walked around the table until she was by my side. I stood too, not knowing what she would do. She then abruptly wrapped me in her arms in a warm motherly hug.

“Honey,” She said, squeezing me tight, “The fortune is not bad. Not at all. It is one of the best fortunes I have ever given someone.” She says, rubbing the small of my back. That’s when I fall apart. I broke into hard sobs that racked my body. What felt like gallons of tears ran down my face. But they were tears of joy. Joy for knowing that I will have a bright future. Joy for not having to stress over who I will become. Joy that I will not die young.The gaping hole in my stomach lessened, and lessened, until it was washed away completely. I continue to sob for what seems like hours, although it was probably only minutes. The whole time, the woman stroked my back, calming me down. When I had control over myself again, she took her arms away. She gave me a reassuring look, then sat back down in her chair. I sat in my own wiping stray tears from my face.

“Would you like me to finish?” She asked in a gentle voice. I didn’t trust myself to speak, so I just nodded. She nodded also, then picked up the card and handed it to me. I took it and looked at it through my blurred vision. “This one will take the longest to explain, for this card has many different aspects to it.” she said. Once again I nod, not looking up from the card.

“The lady wearing white is a symbol of purity, while the lion represents our passions and desires. Notice that the lion is sticking his tongue out? Animals do that when they are tame. So the lion in the card is not full of hate but full of love. The left arm on top of the lion’s head represents mental effort while the right hand on the bottom of the jaw represents physical effort. The left hand is putting all the pressure while the right hand merely holds. The flowers around her dress shows the fullest and most beautiful of nature and transient life.”

She stopped a moment, making sure I was following along. It was all so much to take in, it was hard to breath. I looked from her  to the card again. I said In a small voice: “what does this mean for me?” She smiled her small smile once more and continued.

“You will have great strength throughout your years. The strength you will have will not come from armies or swords. It will come from within you along with decisions you make. You will succeed in overcoming the obstacles that come your way. You will be a very wise ruler and people will come to you for wisdom. You will be compassionate and kind, though you will not let personal opinions keep you from doing the right thing. But because of who you are, people will underestimate you. They won’t consider you a threat. They will try to overcome you. Do not give them that chance, for you will be stronger than them all.” She pauses a moment. “I look forward to you ruling over us.” She said that last sentence with such confidence it almost made me start. She stood and bowed. The little girl, who hadn’t said a word through this whole ordeal, bowed too. I stood up, the card still in my hand, and bowed back awkwardly, not used to the motion. Then we all rose. I walk over to the lady and hand her back the card.

As I recollect the events that have taken place, I realize that I haven’t paid them anything. I reach for the bag attached to my belt, when the lady grabs my hand and puts it into hers. “There is no need.” she smiled, then gave me one last hug. I return it. The clenching in my stomach that has been there since I found out about my becoming of Queen disappears completely. Relief enters my body. Feeling overjoyed, I then crouch down to the little girl and give her one as well. I walk towards the entrance of the the tent, not really wanting to leave. Before I walk out, I turn back wanting to say more, show my gratitude towards them for all their help. But I could only think of two words.

“Thank you.” then walked outside.

The sun was still high in the sky, though it had moved slightly. I must have been in there for a little more than an hour. So little? It seemed so. I then started to walk back towards the other events. In the distance, I can see Samson walking around, a concerned expression on his face. He was scanning the crowd of people, looking for me most likely. I raised my hand and waved. It took him a second to notice me, but when he did his face relaxed, and he started to head my way. The day no longer being young, more people were starting to arrive, crowding the place even more. Eventually, Samson reached me and wrapped me in his arms, kissing my hair. Funny, he didn’t seem as big as he used to.

“Had me a little worried there,” he said, chiseled chin rested gently on the top of my head. “I thought someone made away with the princess.” He joked, chuckling a little. I giggled too, happy to hear his annoying banter. He removes jaw from my head smiling. His smile quickly faded, however, when he noticed the drying tear streaks on my cheek.

“What happened?” he asked, all humor drained from his face. It took me a moment to answer. Did I want to tell him everything that happened? I did, but not today. Someday, perhaps in the future.

“It was just,” I paused, looking for the right word. “Enlightening.” I explained. He nodded, staring at something on the ground. He looked hurt, though he tired to hide it, most likely feeling as though I didn’t trust him. I placed my hand on his cheek and turned him to face me. I reached over and placed my lips on his lovingly. After a time that seemed too short, I released the kissed and looked into his eyes.

“Later.” I promised. He smiled, relief washing over his face. He then lead me, hand in hand, towards the band. A slow lullaby was playing while others danced with their partners. Me and Samson just stood, my head rested on his shoulder, savouring the moment. We were silent, letting the music do the talking for us. It was a bitter-sweet song about two loved ones forbidden to marry. It was a song that I listen to in my childhood. As memories surfaced, I no longer held on to them as I used to. I let them float in my mind as the music continued to play.

The melody seemed to end too suddenly, and they were now beginning to play another, more up-beat song. I looked at Samson, wanting to ask for a dance, when I noticed his puzzled expression.

“Something wrong?” I ask, getting a little nervous.

“No,”He said, thinking. “It’s just that the little girl reminds me of the way you used to look when you were her age.” He explained. I nodded, agreeing. The little girl had long, brown like I did. She also had dark chocolate brown eyes. She was also very fit as was I, and seemed to have a proper education. Her teeth were also a little crooked like mine were at her age. The more similarities the listed, the more my mind seemed to clear. The list continued on and on. Finding that looking for similarities was too easy, I tried to find differences, a small knot forming in my stomach. As I thought, I couldn’t seem to find any differences at all. I looked at Samson, my hands starting to shake. He was looking at me, seeming to come to the same conclusion.

“You don’t think,”I said, not having to finish the sentence before knowing It was true. I watched the color drain from his face. I could feel the color draining from my own. I was trembling; cold sweat bursted from my pours. My arms were covered in goosebumps. All the hairs on the back of my neck stood up straight. One thought continued to race through my mind over and over as me and Samson stared at each other, horror written on our faces. I just had my fortune told by the past princess and the future queen.