Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect

By Delilah_Jackson23, Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Delilah_Jackson23, Langhorne, Pennsylvania

Let me tell you a story. This story takes place on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, on an island called Mokupuni. Mokupuni was part of a group of islands called the Coetus, and were right on the outside of the rest of the islands.

Now you may be thinking that because the citizens of Mokupuni live on an island, they wore grass skirts and palm leaves, and ate bugs. The island was a tropical paradise and it was always a least 60°. But in reality, they had all the four seasons, so the normal attire was shirts and pants. The citizens lived a relatively normal life compared to us. They had schools and stores and were even run by a mayor that was elected every five years by the people. Yay democracy! There were about 500 people on the island, but everyone knew everyone. But, that doesn't exactly mean everyone liked everyone.

Take Bliss and Maximus for example. Actually, please do take Bliss and Maximus. Those two were always at each other's throats, and it seemed like a day couldn’t go by without them arguing about something. As the case may be, they couldn’t go a day without fighting. It was like a hobby, but instead of relaxing, it was the opposite. They fought every day for 18 years until one day they stopped speaking to each other all together.

Now you might be wondering why I’m telling you about these kids, and what they have to do with the story. Or if you are a smart individual, then you probably already know where this is headed. Because the story I’m about to tell you is about what happened to make these enemies stop speaking to each other. So buckle your seat belts children, because in a few short pages I’m going to explain to you something nobody of Mokupuni knows. So sit down, shut up, and enjoy the ride, because not everybody gets a turn (if you know what I mean.) Let's start at the beginning...

One day, the mayor called everyone to the monthly town hall. Town halls were a very big deal, since Mokupuni was a democracy and all the people took them seriously. The meeting lasted for about an hour. The boring stuff was discussed, like the tax budget and the unknown thief that stole five cows, two chickens, eight pigs, and a frog (it’s better if you don’t ask.) By that time, everyone had gotten a little antsy.

“Hold on just a minute,” said the mayor. “We have one more issue to discuss and then you are free to go.” Everyone quieted down and the mayor spoke again. “We seemed to have a food shortage during the summer, resulting in us not having as much food for the winter. Since the end of autumn is approaching, we will not have nearly enough time to grow more food. What should we do?” Everyone was silent. They had never had a food shortage before, so they never felt the need to stock up on extra food. No one spoke. Finally, Bliss stood up.

“I propose a group of people take a trip to the nearest island and ask if they can spare us some food in exchange for some of our wool.” The island was known for its wool, which was very hard to aquire on islands. Everyone nodded in agreement.

“So then how will we decide who will go?” questioned Max, standing up as well. The room grew silent and everyone looked at the two with anticipation, since it was not uncommon that they got into disagreements at the town halls. (You should just hear about the great debate of 55!) The mayor sensed that fight seemed to be brewing, and quickly stepped in to stop it.

“Well since you two are both so interested in this topic, I’ll let Bliss lead the expedition with Max as her second-in-command. Then we can all vote on the three other members, unless anyone thinks there is a better plan?” Everyone was silent. “Well then, I guess that's the end of our town hall. If you wish to be on the ballot, please come see me now. Everyone else, you are free to go.” The citizens started filling out, ready to get a good night's sleep, since there would be voting in the morning.

It was concluded the following day that the citizens going with Bliss and Maximus were Andreas, the strong blacksmith, Cato, an adviser for the people, and Marella, the best sailor on the island. Everyone seemed pleased with the results, and everyone had faith that the three elected individuals could get the children to Vicinus, the nearest island. When the time came to  board the ship, everyone came to watch. There were screams of support for Bliss, shouts of farewell for Max, and travel-safe wishes cried out for all as the ship set sail on their mission to save the island.

Now if you think it was smooth sailing from there, you would be both right and wrong. You would be right in the fact that the weather could not have been more perfect for the journey they were about to make, and the crew had no trouble navigating to Vicinus. But you would be wrong in the fact that not an hour went by without some sort of argument between Bliss and Max. Every time one of their fights broke out, the other crew mates gave each other the same look. You know, that kind of look that says ‘Why would the mayor put these two kids, who hate each other more than schoolchildren hate Mondays, together on a ship with nothing to keep them separated but some bread, water, and three adults with terrible social skills?’ It was that kind of look. It was used too much for anyone's liking.

The fights could be as long as three hours or as quick as two minutes. Luckily, Cato had some experience dealing with arguments, since he was Adviser of the People and the citizens did come to him from time to time to settle a disagreement. But by far the worst argument took place about a half an hour before the ship was scheduled to arrive at Vicinus. It went something like this: “Look I know you’re supposed to be in charge of this voyage or whatever. But I think it would be best if you let me handle it. I don’t mean to be rude, but you aren’t exactly the most skilled with business transactions where I am. So when we get there, if you don't mind stepping aside and letting the smart one do the talking.” Bliss had been minding her business when she heard that same snide voice insult her again. Normally she could control her response fine, but this time, something snapped.

“Excuse me? You want to repeat that, Mr. I think I’m in charge but I’m actually not?!” Bliss screeched, standing up and whirling her body around to face him with such fury, it was a miracle her head didn’t pop off her shoulders. “First of all, that was incredible rude and you know it. Since you’re a businessman, I thought you knew diplomacy was part of business. But I guess you were too ignorant to realize it.” Her volume grew until she was practically shouting. And for each sentence she spoke, Bliss took a step forward.

Now she was a couple steps away from Max, or as Bliss would say, Satan. Her intense blue eyes were crackling with anger at this sorry excuse for a human. Anyone who saw her would have instantly backed away, because Bliss looked scary. Even Max was scared because he turned to leave. But Bliss was not finished. She grabbed his shoulder and spun him back around while she continued to yell at him. “Oh I’m not finished Maximus,” she spat, speaking his name as if it were some sort of scum on the bottom of her shoe. “I’ll have you know I am about twice as smart as you, so don’t talk about how you’re the smart one. I’ve received many compliments about how great I would be in the business industry, not to mention that the mayor of Mokupuni himself declared me leader of this voyage, not you. So if you can’t wrap your pea-sized brain around the fact that I am in charge and not you, then you can stay aboard when we dock and stare at the water until we get back!” Bliss was screaming now, and kept stepping closer and closer to Max until they only had about half a foot of space between them.

Max took a step back, a little intimidated by the death glare she was giving him. “Fine, fine. You can lead. But don’t be surprised when we come back with nothing.” This was only said to falter Bliss’s confidence and make her hand over control to Max. But she still held her ground. You can’t blame her of course. No one knew how badly the plan would backfire.

When the little boat finally docked, a crowd had gathered. After all, it was very rare to be paid an unscheduled visit from another country. Despite the mummers, Bliss leapt off the boat with confidence. Max followed right behind her, and the crew right after him. The crowd parted as they strolled about the island, trying to find where Vicinus’ mayor was. Finally, a voice spoke up from the crowd. “Umm, if you are here to speak to the King, he is this way.” It was a native citizen that spoke who looked a little frightened by the newcomers. Bliss was grateful, because no one else made any attempt to help them.  “Well-” Bliss started, but she was instantly interrupted.

“Yes please, if that's not too much trouble.” replied Max, stepping forward, placing a hand on her arm.

“Right this way,” the native squeaked, turning on his heel and scampering away. Bliss shot Max another one of her death looks.

“Listen,” he commanded through gritted teeth. “This is the reason I told you to let me do the talking. They do things differently here, and you have no idea what's going on! So just let me do this.”

“For the last time, you are not a golden god sent from the heavens, so just stop telling me what to do!” she shot back equally as harsh.

“Fine, but don’t take it as a surprise when you crash and burn,” Max replied, turning to follow the native who was well on his way to whoever the King was. Bliss quickly caught up with him.

“Now you listen. I am not saying that I will not need your help, because the mayor put you and me on that boat for a reason. But when I do need your help, I am quite capable of telling you myself instead of you just assuming things like you always do.” With one last death glare, Bliss ran to catch up with the native and the rest of the crew, who were quite a length away on the trail.

“I present, his majesty, King Kero!” The crew was led to what looked like a throne room, with fancy chairs and people that looked to be advisers of high degree sitting in them. The walls were covered with lavish tapestries of life, and the ceiling was the same, supported by gold pillars. Every head in the room turned to look at the newcomers.

“Hello,” said Bliss, stepping forward. “We are citizens of the island Mokupuni, about a days boat ride from here. We come in search of food for the winter, as we are having a food shortage. Can you help us?” The King looked to all his advisers.

“I will talk it over with my consultants. Then we shall meet with you and decide what to do from there.” With that King Kero stood and marched out of the room, with the rest of his staff following close behind.

“Good job Bliss! We could actually survive this winter after all!” cheered Marella, Andreas and Cato also complementing her for a job well done. Only Max stayed quiet, sulking in the corner of the room with a frown on his face.

“So Max, don’t you think Bliss did a good job?” asked Cato. Bad question.

“With what? Because I can say with sincerity that directness would be the only reason I would put her in charge of anything. She has no experience with any sort of business whatsoever!” Max was pretty much shouting now, getting more and more passionate with each word. But before he could say anymore, King Kero came back.

“Bliss, we would like to speak to you. Would you like to bring you crew in to watch you, or stay here?”

“They can come,” decided Bliss. “Except for him,” she pointed to Max. “He can stay here alone.”

“I’m sorry ma’am, but it is all or none,” informed the King, looking between Bliss and Max as if he could feel the tension between the two.

Bliss thought for a moment then said “Fine. Everyone can come.” With a nod, King Kero led the group to what seemed to be a courtroom with all the advisers from before seated in what looked like a jurors box. King Kero took a seat behind what looked like the Judges Bench, and Bliss had to stand right in front of Kero.

“Alright, let's get this started.” he announced. “You are proposing that we lend you some of our food so that you can survive in the winter, correct?”

“That is correct sir” replied Bliss, her mouth going dry. Why was this so formal?

“And you will need enough to feed your whole island, which is about 500 people, double the population of Vicinus, correct?”

“That is correct sir.” she replied again, a slight quiver in her voice. She could almost feel as though she was forgetting something.

“And if we help you, you should pay pay us back for doing you such a large favor, correct?” he challenged, a gleam in his eye that looked all to familiar and sent shivers up her spine.

“That is correct sir.” she whispered, afraid for what he would say next.

“Then how exactly do you plan to repay us?” he challenged, the gleam now recognizable. It was the exact same gleam in Max’s eye whenever he knew he had gotten the best of her. To Bliss, pride was a very important thing. If someone had gotten the best of you in any way, it wounded your pride. And King Kero had gotten the best of her. How could she possibly get him to send food to her island if she couldn't even think straight?

“Your majesty,” someone interrupted, stepping in front of Bliss. “We were planning on giving you wool from our herd of sheep. They produce the best wool you have ever seen, and we will give you one sack of wool for every pound you give us.” Bliss looked up at hero savior, only to glare at him with as much venom as she could manage.

“Don’t listen to him!” she shouted, stopping the conversations of the ‘jury.’ “I am the one who is here to negotiate with you, so unless I say different, ignore him!” she yelled again, shoving Max back to where he was standing before.

“So you won’t offer us wool? Too bad, we would have taken your offer. What else do you have to offer?” questioned Kero, the glint back in his eye.

“Well-I mean-it’s just-that was the plan-” Bliss stuttered, trying to form a sentence.

“So then why did you yell at that young man who was saying the exact same thing?” asked an advisor. Bliss couldn’t take it anymore.

“BECAUSE I HATE HIM!” she screamed. “Everything I do and he criticizes me! Everything someone else does he thinks is ‘wrong’ and he makes fun of it! Anytime someone tries to do something, he steps in and doesn’t even give them a chance! So forgive me if I can’t help but yell when he tries to take over yet again.” There was a fire in her eyes that scared everyone, even Max. No one spoke for the longest time. Finally Kero spoke up.

“Well that’s too bad,” he stated, shrugging his shoulders.

“I’m sorry?” Bliss retorted, stepping closer. “What did you say?”

“I said that’s too bad,” he repeated, leaning against his podium. “This isn’t kindergarten, it’s business, and if you can’t get your emotional drama out of your business life, you won’t make any deals. Which is exactly why I refuse to make a deal with you.”

“What?” cried Bliss running over until she was right in front of him. “Please, we need this food, it’s our only hope. You are our only hope!”

“If we were your only hope, then your island would have been smart enough to send someone else who doesn’t let her feelings get in the way of success.” Kero snapped, his eyes and voice filling with more and more venom. “Guards!”

Eight men rushed into the room and grabbed each member of the crew. They were led single file onto the ship back to Mokupuni. When everyone was brought on board, Marella hurriedly castaway, back towards the island awaiting good news.

“This is all your fault. You really did crash and burn.” Max spat, glaring daggers. If looks could kill, Bliss would be six feet under.

“Look I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that-” started Bliss only to be interrupted again.

“Yeah you shouldn’t have! Because now, we are going home with nothing.” stated Max, turning on his heel and leaving Bliss alone to think about all the ways she messed up.

Sailing back to Mokupuni was much too short for anyone's liking. No one wanted to come  back to their home expected to be saviors but in reality turning out to be failures. Especially Bliss. Her town had put so much faith in her, they had voted for he, she was chosen for god’s sake! How could she go back to these people who had given her so much and who expected so much of her, and just let them all down? But maybe they would see reason. ‘I mean who would trust Max in a situation as dire as that?’ she thought. ‘He is a jerk and a bully and it was natural for me to not want him to handle the situation, even though he was my second in command.’

“What's happening? Has little Miss Optimist lost all hope?” Max mocked, making her more and more angry.

“Like you care.” she bluntly replied, her gaze not leaving the horizon.

He smirked. “Touché. Well anyway, I came here for you to apologize. I know your guilty little conscience can’t function unless you apologize for everything you have done wrong. So I’ll wait.”

“Wow. I knew your ego was big, but I had no idea it was heavy enough to make you stoop this low. What you’re waiting for won’t come, so you're wasting your time.” she replied, bitter.

“Someones upset. You know, there's a reason I have all these badges. Leadership, intelligence, and you couldn’t bother to see how great I am. You could have trusted me bu-”

She interrupted him, “I would never trust you, even if the world depended on it. And you can take those fancy medals and sh-”

“Okay, okay, calm down. I don’t want your opinion on where to put all my medals. I’m going to get some rest. You should too. It’s better to make an ‘I failed you’ speech well-rested.” Max smirked, turning to leave, but then did the strangest thing. Maximus Preston was giggling.

“Care to tell me what's so funny?” snapped Bliss, clearly still ticked off at him.

“I just find it ironic that of all the names you could have had, your name is Bliss.” he half said half laughed.

“What’s wrong with my name? Why do you always have to pick at all my flaws, examine all my faults, point out all my imperfections? I thought you had made fun of everything but no, it’s not enough. You should feel remorse for what you do to me and everyone else! You have to pull them apart by their weaknesses, and no matter how much you pull, it’s never enough. All you do your whole life is put others down just to make yourself feel better! And for what?” she spat, standing up and looking Max right in the eye. “All you do is hate, hate, hate! It’s like you don’t know anything else! But how could you not know anything else?” she paused mid-rant to look at him.

He looked sleep-deprived and tired. His usually neat clothes were wrinkled. His face lacked emotion. He looked almost human. Then a realization struck her like lightning. “Maybe you didn’t know anything else.” she said, her voice soft. Max looked up at her with confusion, but Bliss continued to speak. “Maybe you thought that cruelty was the only way to go. Maybe that was the only thing you were  shown.” Bliss thought about Max’s dad and about how he had always kept to himself, and wasn’t the nicest person. “Maybe you never had someone show you love. Maybe you just needed someone to help you get through life.” She tentatively put her hand on his arm, and looked into his steel eyes. She expected him to scoff. She expected him to yell. She expected him to frantically deny her story. But he did none of those things.

He laughed.

Not just any laugh, but a guttural laugh that had him leaning on the side of the ship to keep his balance. After about five minutes, he laughter dies down, and Max looked her square in the eye.

“Bliss, honestly, how ridiculous can you get? You are 100% wrong.”

“Excuse me?” she snapped

“Did I stutter? Of course I know what kindness is. Of course I know that isn't the only way to go. Of course my father loves me in his own twisted and demented way. You should know Bliss, because I’m a lot like you.

“Everything I do is ambitious, just like everything you do. Both of us are careful in who we trust. Both of us can easily strike up a conversation with a stranger. Both of us are intelligent and cunning. Both of us are careful planers. But you keep trying to find out how we are different, what sets us apart. Well I give in, and I’ll tell you. The thing that separates us isn’t the fact that we had different childhoods or how we dress. It’s our moral compass, and which way it spins. I have no problem with you calling me the names you do. Jerk, selfish, bully. I have no problem with it. Because it’s all true.

“Every single name you called me was true. You called me a jerk. I am. You called me selfish. I am. You called me a bully. I am. In fact, the only reason I volunteered to go on this trip was to show how I’m better than you. You went on this trip for the good of the people, but also to prove yourself. You want to show everyone that choosing you over me was a good idea. But you would never admit to that, you're too good of a person, whereas I just openly admitted to it. Here’s where we are different. What is right in your book is right in my book, but definitely not necessary and a whole lot of extra work. What is wrong in you book would probably be right in my book. But I have no problem with that while you do. We have different versions of right and wrong. But you care about what people think is right and wrong. But I, couldn't care less. So you are completely wrong Bliss, completely wrong.” With that Max turned on his heel and began strutting away, but Bliss called after him.

“You could at least have the decency to tell me why my name is so funny.” she scoffed, filled with even more loathing for this boy than ever before.

“Oh right.” Max giggled and turned around. “I just find it ironically humorous that the name Bliss means perfect.” he paused, then gave her a malicious sneer. “And you are far from it.” And with that, he turned around on his heel and walked away.

They never spoke again.

Thank you for reading my short story! It's the first piece I published on here, so even though it might be a little bad, thanks for reading it anyway!

-Delilah

So that’s it. That’s the story of why two children don’t talk to each other. I hope you learned something, otherwise my experience will have all been for nothing. To be honest, I would prefer if you learned something so I didn’t waste my afternoon writing this down. But as you have seen I’ve been proved wrong before. No worries. As I learned the hard way, you can’t make everyone do what you want. But who knows, maybe my experience could teach you something. I had a hard enough time figuring out what it meant. Heck, I still have trouble understanding what it meant. And I still have no idea what I’m doing.

That’s another thing I’m not perfect at. Writing. But that’s okay. I live my life and move along. So maybe the lesson is ‘Perfection isn’t real.’ That’s a pretty good lesson.

Or maybe the lesson is “Don’t overthink things.’ I certainly am guilty of that. Or maybe ‘Try to understand others’ is the lesson. We both could have don’t better with that. Or maybe even ‘Don’t run out of food.’ could be what you learned. If we had food, the whole situation could have been avoided. But whatever the case is, I hope you learned something, from me, Max, or someone else. Because I messed up, bad. So did Max. So did the mayor. We all make mistakes, but I at least hope you can learn from mine.

-Bliss Everly

Mistake-maker, imperfect human