Another Failed Invasion | Teen Ink

Another Failed Invasion

May 28, 2018
By Anonymous

Yyptoid woke up as he always did, greeted by his own ravishing smile in the mirror above his bed.
“What a stunningly beautiful creature I am,” he thought to himself.
You see, Yyptoid lives on the planet Smualyt. Smualytians are the most self absorbed species in the galaxy. Their mission in life is to appreciate the beauty that is themselves. With Yyptoid here, we have a great example of the old saying, “a mirror is a Smualyts best friend”. A Smualytian wouldn’t be caught dead without a mirror. Although every single member of the species can’t get enough of their own appearance, not all of them are truly that beautiful. Sometimes it is a figment of a particular creature’s imagination. If this is the case, they are shunned from society and their only purpose in life is to maintain their own self esteem.
Yyptoid is not one of those Smualytians.
Yyptoid is truly a creature to behold. He is rather comparable to the dominant species on Earth, humans. However, he is significantly more beautiful than even the most above-average human. Yyptoid has similar bone structure to that of an artfully crafted human man, but he has a shiny glow to his face that a human cannot possess. Yyptoid’s eyes are also breathtaking. Some compare looking at Yyptoid’s eyes to staring out at the galaxy from the star tower on the gloriously purple planet of Shuatri.
Today was a normal day for Yyptoid. After finishing his everyday morning routine he planned to head out to his ship, The Star Glider, to invade the planet of Graphmish. Yyptoid had the distinct honor of leading this invasion because ever since he inherited his father’s role as Captain of The Star Glider, every invasion he had attempted had gone smoothly. His track record was a bit tainted after a mishap on Earth, but that was quickly forgotten when it was discovered that Earth was classified as a planet doomed due to its own dominant species’ neglect for proper planet caretaking.

Giane woke up as she always did: very, extremely, completely bored.
She sighed as she propped herself up on her shoulders and found that her husband was already at work. Her husband, Geoffe, worked alongside all the other husbands in the neighborhood at the bank in town. Geoffe often left early these days because he was soon to be promoted. Giane was not excited about this because once Geoffe was promoted, he would be working even more at his boring job. The lack of Geoffe leave Giane to be even more bored at home. Not that having Geoffe at home was very interesting. Giane had described Geoffe before as being, “a very slightly less normal male member of the extremely neutral and lame species that dominated the planet of Graphmish, which was very probably the most pathetic and boring planet in the universe”. But still, having Geoffe home more could improve her day a very slight amount, which was a great improvement to her current state of boredom.
Giane got out of bed and strolled to the washroom with a lightness of foot that could only be described as Non-Graphmean. As she entered the washroom, Giane was first greeted by the wonderful image of her face that was so splendidly unlike any other that one can find on Graphmish. She brushed her teeth with intent that no person on the planet of Graphmish could manage to muster even when doing something that really made their gray heart glow with the light of a thousand solar powered, energy efficient lamps.
After going through her morning routine in the washroom Giane headed downstairs. On her way down, her mind roamed through several dull topics, and decided to ponder what life must be like for ceiling fans. She came to the idea that her life must be similar to that of a ceiling fan. Ceiling fans are a practical and clever invention. But, the general population of most planets don’t really like them. Because of this, Giane figured they must live out their days thinking to themselves, I am such a marvelous thing, I really am. However no one really likes me because they do not truly understand my worth. This exact thought had very likely popped into Giane’s own mind at some point in her uninteresting life on Graphmish. So you see, with that reasoning, Giane and a ceiling fan lived lives that were very much alike.

Giane woke up as she always did: very, extremely, completely bored.
She sighed as she propped herself up on her shoulders and found that her husband was already at work. Her husband, Geoffe, worked alongside all the other husbands in the neighborhood at the bank in town. Geoffe often left early these days because he was soon to be promoted. Giane was not excited about this because once Geoffe was promoted, he would be working even more at his boring job. The lack of Geoffe leave Giane to be even more bored at home. Not that having Geoffe at home was very interesting. Giane had described Geoffe before as being, “a very slightly less normal male member of the extremely neutral and lame species that dominated the planet of Graphmish, which was very probably the most pathetic and boring planet in the universe”. But still, having Geoffe home more could improve her day a very slight amount, which was a great improvement to her current state of boredom.
Giane got out of bed and strolled to the washroom with a lightness of foot that could only be described as Non-Graphmean. As she entered the washroom, Giane was first greeted by the wonderful image of her face that was so splendidly unlike any other that one can find on Graphmish. She brushed her teeth with intent that no person on the planet of Graphmish could manage to muster even when doing something that really made their gray heart glow with the light of a thousand solar powered, energy efficient lamps.
After going through her morning routine in the washroom Giane headed downstairs. On her way down, her mind roamed through several dull topics, and decided to ponder what life must be like for ceiling fans. She came to the idea that her life must be similar to that of a ceiling fan. Ceiling fans are a practical and clever invention. But, the general population of most planets don’t really like them. Because of this, Giane figured they must live out their days thinking to themselves, I am such a marvelous thing, I really am. However no one really likes me because they do not truly understand my worth. This exact thought had very likely popped into Giane’s own mind at some point in her uninteresting life on Graphmish. So you see, with that reasoning, Giane and a ceiling fan lived lives that were very much alike.

Back in current time, Yyptoid, his crew, and Eddy, were well on their way to the planet of Graphmish.
“Is there much sun on Graphmish?” Eddy asked Yyptoid. The two of them were sitting in the command deck of the ship.
“I don’t think so,” Yyptoid replied a bit distracted as he had taken out his pocket mirror and was admiring his beauty in the well lit command deck, “I believe it’s rather gray.”
“That is wonderful, glad to hear it,” Eddy said with an unusual amount of spirit, “I don’t mean to sound so excited it’s just that the last planet we visited was very close to a rather obnoxious star and everyone was so happy there.”
“Well it’s a good thing they loved me and were eager to be invaded by such a magnificent being,” Yyptoid said. “That way you didn’t have to stay very long.”
“Yes Yyptoid, I am endlessly grateful for your loveliness and ability to be adored by others with extreme ease,” Eddy said.
“Well of course Eddy! It’s the least I can do for the second most extraordinarily good looking being in the universe,” Yyptoid replied.`
Now Eddy was a sunflower so he couldn’t roll his eyes, but if he wasn’t a sunflower and was some kind of creature that had eyeballs and had the ability to roll them, he would have rolled his eyes.

Back on Graphmish, Giane was bored and wasn’t taking part in any particular activity worth describing.

The Star Glider was moving at a lively pace. The pace of the ship was determined by the mood of the Captain. Yyptoid was in a lively mood. It’s a simple concept, but it took many years for the engineers Smualyt to develop the technology. The goal of a mood driven ship was to avoid any ugly Smualytians as successful Captains. The reasoning behind this is that the prettier the Smualytian, the happier they are. Everytime a good looking Smualytian looks into their pocket mirror, they get a boost to their already swollen ego. An ugly Smualytian has to spend several minutes (usually 7) attempting to successfully find beauty in their plain face, leaving them discouraged. A discouraged ship does not get the job done.
Because of Yyptoid’s lively mood, they were almost at Graphmish. Yyptoid could hardly wait to arrive because the inhabitants of Graphmish were supposed to be ugly and boring. In his experience, these kinds of people tended to worship Yyptoid, which resulted in a quick and successful takeover.
Eddy was excited because he loved gray.
“Four more minutes Captain Yyptoid!” The Star Glider’s computer said in a sweet voice.
“Wonderful, I can hardly wait,” Yyptoid said. “Can’t you just see the awe in their eyes when they see me, Eddy?”
“Yes, rather similar to the awe in my eyes I suppose,” Eddy replied. There was no harm in making a sarcastic joke like this because Yyptoid’s ego actively fought them off. Additionally, the fact that Eddy had enough life in him to not only speak, but to make a snide comment was a cause for celebration.
“You’re too kind, Eddy darling,” Yyptoid giggled.
“Okay good note, I’ll keep it to myself next time,” Eddy replied.
“Oh no, I didn’t mean to offend you. You are more than welcome to shower me with compliments whenever you please,” Yyptoid said with genuine concern. Whether the concern was because he actually thought he may have emotionally bruised his precious sunflower or because he may not be receiving as many compliments in the future from Eddy was unclear.
Eddy decided that it was best if he stopped thinking and speaking for a while because his message wasn’t clear to his company. He also loathed himself very much and was beginning to feel pain deep in his soul from his own words and actions, along with his general existence.
This led to an awkward silence and Yyptoid took the time to smile at himself in his pocket mirror. He giggled with glee when he discovered a particularly flattering angle.
“I think I see it!” Yyptoid said, closing his mirror with care.
There was more silence as the sunflower’s mind had gone blank as an act of mercy for himself.
The Star Glider computer then took on the burden of replying to the Captain, “Yes, there it is.”
“Wonderful, when can you beam me down?” Yyptoid asked.
“30 seconds,” the computer responded.
Yyptoid hopped out from his chair and raced to the equipment deck. He skidded to a stop in front of Eddy and asked, “Wanna come with?” Eddy didn’t reply, his mind still blank. Yyptoid accepted the silence from his sunflower and continued on his way. In the equipment deck he grabbed his dashing purple invasion cape and a fashionable ray gun. He took out his pocket mirror, examined his perfect features for a couple seconds, then closed the mirror right before The Star Glider beamed him down.

Giane had just given up hoping for anything interesting to happen when a swirl of purple loveliness appeared from a white light shooting down from the sky. She took no time in jumping from her gray couch and zooming to the front door, bursting through.
She stared at the purple swirl in awe, as an extremely attractive man started to emerge. The man took a mirror out of his cape pocket and stared at his face. Giane watched as the man’s mood went from a newly sprouted goop tree seeing the sun for the first time on the lush planet of Fleurion to even more content than that.
“What in God’s name are you doing?” Giane asked the man.
The beautiful man turned to look at Giane. In seeing the look of awe on her face he completed forgot that she had spoken to him and said, “Oh I’m off to a spectacular start.”
Giane waited for him to say something else.
After a good amount of time passed the man said, “I’m Yyptoid, and I’m here to invade,” flashing a bold, blinding smile.
“Why would you do that?” Giane asked.
“Because those were my orders,” Yyptoid explained.
“Why?” Giane said in a fluster of confusion.
“I don’t know the reasoning behind my superiors orders, I’m just the pretty face that gets the job done,” Yyptoid ran a hand through his hair and Giane admired how his hair sparkled even in the gray light of Graphmish.
“Well, your superior’s made the wrong decision sending you here,” Giane replied, still mesmerized by the light dance off of Yyptoid’s golden hair.
Yyptoid started formulating a plan of how he should go about continuing this encounter. He could either try to respond to what she had said, but that would require that he ask questions. Asking questions was a burden for someone so beautiful. It very much irked him that this Graphmian woman had not directly told Yyptoid what she meant. His other option was to follow his orders and ask her to take him to her leader.
While Yyptoid was working through his plan of action, he noticed something very strange. For such a plain planet, this woman was not a plain woman. Yes, she was very pretty indeed. She had stunning pale blue-gray skin that shimmered much like his own. Her face was perfectly symmetrical, her features perfectly complimenting each other. Her hair, although swept up into a loose bun, was a sleek, stunning black that made her green eyes look ten times brighter. With this assessment of the woman’s beauty, he abandoned all plans of action relating to his mission.
“What is your name?” Yyptoid asked.
“Why do you want my name?” Giane countered.
“You ask too many questions,” Yyptoid sighed. He began to think that maybe this Graphmian was more trouble than she was worth.  He started to turn away and go find another Graphmian who could take him to their leader when she said, “My name is Giane.”
“That’s a dull name,” Yyptoid decided.
“Well, I live in a dull place,” Giane said.
“Yes, but you don’t belong here,” Yyptoid proclaimed.
“That’s a quick assumption to make,” Giane said, taking a step closer to Yyptoid.
Yyptoid c***ed his head and said, “Ah yes, I appreciate your idea that I have a bright mind, but I must say that it’s rather simple to figure that a beautiful woman like yourself should not be on Graphmish.”
Giane didn’t know how to respond to this. She had never before been called beautiful. Her looks were never appreciated on Graphmish, as a person’s worth was determined by their ability to sit behind a desk and stare at numbers.
“Do you really think I’m beautiful?” Giane asked.
“Yes, not quite as beautiful as myself, but I would say that you may be better looking than Eddy,” Yyptoid told her.
Giane didn’t particularly care who Eddy was, all that she cared about was that Yyptoid, in all his stunning glory, had called her more beautiful than him.
“You shouldn’t invade Graphmish,” Giane stated.
“Okay,” Yyptoid replied.
“Let’s go somewhere more lovely,” Giane exclaimed.
“Yes I should like to show you the world Giane,” Yyptoid said sweeping her up into his arms.
Giane smiled at him, the first genuine smile that she had ever smiled. Yyptoid started to raise his arm, motioning to The Star Glider to beam them back up.
“Wait!” Giane cried.
Yyptoid dropped his arm and raised an eyebrow.
“What about my husband?” Giane asked.
Yyptoid thought about this. It didn’t seem quite right to leave Giane’s husband without any company.
“I have the perfect companion for him,” Yyptoid assured her.
This was good enough for Giane. She nodded and with a raise of Yyptoid’s arm the two were beamed up to the ship.

“Eddy, I’m back!” Yyptoid called upon landing in the command deck, Giane in his arms.
“Was it gray?” Eddy asked.
“Yes, very. Too gray for me to invade,” Yyptoid explained setting Giane down. He frowned at the bathrobe that she was wearing.
“Star Glider, can you find something else for my lovely new companion to wear?” Yyptoid said to the ship. Without a reply, a stylish pant suit appeared in front of Giane.
“A new companion, Yyptoid?” Eddy said turning his petals to face the couple, “Does that mean that I have been replaced?” Eddy thought to himself that he would very much like to be replaced.
“Yes, sadly I only have room for one other beautiful person on my ship besides myself at a time. However, I do have someone for you to live with now that you are of no use to me,” Yyptoid reassured him. There was a hint of distraction in his voice as he had sat down in his chair and was watching Giane as she left to go change.
“Okay,” Eddy said. The situation wasn’t ideal, but he hoped that this person he was to live with was less upbeat than Yyptoid.
“Star Glider, be a dear and beam Eddy down to Giane’s old house,” Yyptoid commanded.
Eddy was gone in a flash and Yyptoid focused his attention on Giane emerging from the hallway in her new outfit.
“Stunning,” Yyptoid said as she walked toward him.
“Thanks for getting me out of there,” Giane said taking Yyptoid’s outstretched hand.
“Anytime Giane,” Yyptoid kissed her hand, “Where to now?”
“Somewhere sunny,” Giane replied, looking at him with adoration.
“I know just the place,” Yyptoid said. He typed something into the command board of The Star Glider and the ship was off at an ecstatic pace.

Geoffe returned home from work and acknowledged that there was a talking sunflower in place of his wife. He then went to sleep. When he woke up the next morning, he kissed the sunflower goodbye and headed off to work.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.