Helpless to stop it | Teen Ink

Helpless to stop it

Author's note:

This is not that bad I swear

Chrys counted the seconds as she struggled to keep herself awake in the Queen’s master suite, listening for the guards to leave her part of the castle and patrol somewhere else. Once they had left, Chrys sneaked out of her bed and skillfully leapt out her second story window, fully clothed. Ever since a month after the coronation, Chrys had been doing the same routine at night, going to this odd ruin. She had been walking one day in the garden when she went down a path she hadn’t explored, and came across the portal like ruin. It was a rectangle made out of some space-age metal, and Chrys would spend her nights watching the metals form little swirls and puffs, sketching it in a notebook. It seemed so adventurous, so mystical that soon she had almost filled up her notebook. Now Chrys was faced with a dilemma. She had to hide the book, but if she put it in her drawers or closet the maid could find it, but if she put it out in the open Jackson, her inquisitive fiancé, would surely ask about it and Chrys wouldn’t lie to him. Chrys stood in front of the portal now, wondering what to do, when Siren, would had been following the blonde, slinked behind a bush, accidentally rustling it. Chrys promptly turned, her heightened sense of hearing, due to her cat-like ears, prompting her to do so, but dismissed the sound as a bird. Chrys eventually went back to her bed room, muttering the incantations that gave her energy, a terrible way of cheating life, and fell asleep. Siren, who had fallen asleep crouched behind the bush, woke up later and rushed to her room, nightgown trailing behind her.  The two girls fell asleep, both unaware of the power buzzing in the portal that had drawn the two there.
“There seems to be something off with Chrys. She buzzes like she’s had coffee but every time I ask her that she says she hasn’t.” Jackson said over a light meal he had called Cole too. As the Queen’s brother, Cole helped Chrys make decisions and was a close friend to her soulmate also.
“Are you sure she’s not just lying to you?” Cole said, covering all his bases. Jackson shook his head, the now jade tips of his onyx hair shaking along with it.
“Chrys would never lie to me, she’s never lied.” Jackson said and Cole let go any protests, knowing he didn’t want Chrys mad at him.
“She could be using a spell for energy. One of the maids used to do that until we caught on and fired her.” Cole said and Jackson looked at him with new found admiration.
“Ok, but I don’t exactly know how to catch that.” Cole snapped his finger after a few moments of silence and Jackson shot up, alert from the sudden sound, before sitting back down.
“Why did you do that?” He asked, annoyed at his reflexes.
“Because I figured out how we can catch Chrys. I’ll placed a camera in her room and we’ll follow her tomorrow night.” Jackson nodded before leaving the room to go on his laptop and search for a camera. Luckily, if he ordered anything it would be here by dinner due to his elite status, something he was grateful for.
On the other hand, Cole walked back to his room, whistling a small tune. Crystal heard it as she walked by and her ears crinkled, not knowing why he did that, and she hated not knowing. Crystal called up Aquarius and had her come to Crystals room. Aquarius bounced into Crystal’s room, jovial as always, and she looked up at Crystal.
“Why did you call for me?” She said, her big brown eyes questioning Crystal in  a way that made her want to tell Aqua all of her secrets. Instead of acting on her impulse, Crystal straightened her crown.
“I think somethings up with Cole. He seems to happy, like your kind of happy, and he only ever that way-“
“When he found something out.” Aquarius finished Crystals sentence, and Crystal nodded.
“I think we should try to find out what got Cole this happy.” Aquarius got that clouded look in her eye that always happens when someone is thinking, and they let the comfortable silence envelop the room as both girls thought. Suddenly, Crystal went over to her desk and opened her laptop, searching for the internet server. Once she got there, Crystal checked any recent sites that had been opened, and clicked on one specifically interesting.
“It says here that one of the main computers made a purchase of a small security camera, do you think that has anything to do with it?” Crystal said, Aquarius nodding once she finished.
“Well then, I think Cole’s trying to monitor someone, but the real question is  who.” Crystal let her thought hang in the air, unaware of Siren outside her door. She had been listening in since Cole asked her to find them, and now that they had paused, she decided to inconspicuously enter the room.
“Hey guys, Cole wants us downstairs for lunch.” The sudden surprise of having Siren come in made Aquarius bounce up from her position on the bed, setting her crown askew.
“Ok.” Crystal said with such a tone of finality Siren had to leave the room, and once she did Crystal burst out laughing.
“I’m sorry,” She said, wiping tears from her eyes, “it’s just… I never thought you would ever look like this with your crown askew.” Crystal tapered off as Aquarius laughed herself.
“Yeah, we used to think becoming a queen would completely change us, but really, we’re not that different.” Aquarius said as Crystal regained her composure. The two walked out of the room holding hands and talking like the good friends they were, not at all surprised to see Chrys and Siren doing the same thing. The thing that can cross the most distance, friendship.

Chrys could read Jackson like a book, despite him trying so hard to stop her. What she couldn’t read, however, was his mind, and she had no idea she was being watched as she snuggled into her bed. Despite ‘technically’ being married, Chrys and Jackson both slept in a different bed, but Jackson would give her a goodnight kiss every night before heading off to sleep as well. Once Chrys was sure everyone was asleep, she snuck out of the window again, ignoring how it got harder and harder each time she did it.
Jackson smiled to himself as he walked back to his room, veering to Cole’s at the last second. He had set up the camera to input feed to his laptop, and opened it as soon as he got into Cole’s room.
“Ok, so it seems Chrys is sleeping now, but if she gets up or finds and disables the camera then we can track her using-“ as Jackson spoke rapidly, his hands flew with practiced grace over to another window, typing in the website and logging on. “This tracker.” As Jackson stopped to take a breath, Cole whistled. “Wow, you sure do plan.” He said, looking at the hunched-over blonde boy.
“Not really, the trackers always been in her charm bracelet  since I got it.” Jackson said with a blush. Cole raised an eyebrow, suggestively winking at Jackson as the blonde boy blushed, hunching over the computer to try to hide it. “It’s nothing like that, I just- Chrys is on the move!” Jackson whisper yelled as he grabbed his phone, logging into the tracker app and then rushing to grab his black jacket. Both boys ran out of the window and followed Chrys, even though the rooms were across from each other.
Crystal looked out the window, bored beyond belief, when she saw two shadowy figures dart past her view. Crystal sat up in the bed, accidentally waking up Aquarius, who sleepily muttered, “What was that for?” As she rubbed her eyes.
“Get up Aqua, we have to follow the boys!” Crystal said as she pulled Aqua up. Aqua muttered something about missing her favorite bow before Crystal jumped out the window and Aquarius reluctantly followed, her hair a mess.
Siren hadn’t been able to fall asleep. Try as she might, nothing would work, and eventually Siren gave up, doing her hair, clothes and makeup since she was bored. Once she had done an entire outfit, she gazed out the window, trying to do something that wouldn’t mess up her makeup and hair. Siren had nearly fallen asleep in the chair when two figures flashed by her window. Full of curiosity like always, she undid the pins in her hair and wiped off the makeup before rushing out the door, catching up to the two figures and running behind them.
Chrys walked up to the ruin, stopping abruptly as she looked at the strange otherworldly glow coming from it. Then the unthinkable happened. Something pushed her and she touched the ruin. Immediately, as if the ruin was waiting for her, Chrys got sucked up into a portal. The  world seemed to tilt as she somersaulted again and again, but there was a curious lack of gravity stopping her from feeling like she was going to throw up. Then, all at once, it stopped and she was hurled to the ground, landing on now-bloodied knees. Chrys closed her eyes for a second, trying to let her brain figure out all the new sights and smells of where she was before opening her eyes. The first thing that hit her was the utter lack of color, everything a. Monotone gray or black with no plant life in sight. Chrys slowly stood up, turning her head at the massive building surrounding her before turning around, startled that there was no portal heading back. As she was about to step into this new world, a whoosh like a vacuum sounded and five figures fell into this world, Chrys barely scooting away to avoid collision. On further inspection, Chrys found that they were her five friends, Jack, Cole, Aquarius, Crystal, and Siren. Chrys slinked away from the group, all oddly dressed in regular clothes despite the time in this new place being close to midnight, and hid behind a trash can as the others got up, slowly gathering themselves.
“How did you three get here?” Was the first word uttered from the group by Cole, who stood up and helped Siren up.
“We followed you two.” Crystal said as she began to realize what was going on. “If we’re here, then that means,” Jacksons voice wavered as panic flashed through his eyes.
“Chrys! Chrys!” He yelled, getting up a bit too fast and looking around for Chrys as she stepped out from behind the trash can, rushing to Jackson and hugging him tightly.
“I’m here, I’m here.” She said, whispering sweet nothings into Jacksons ear. Both had been slightly scarred from Chrys’ leaving, leaning on each other more than what was healthy in the relationship. They walked hand in hand to the others, who had found a park bench and were sitting there, talking animatedly as they tried to decipher where they were.
“So, I think we’re in some sort of industrial future. This looks a lot like Seattle but more tall and less green.” Siren said and Chrys and Jackson nodded. Crystal, with nothing left to do but agree, stubbornly nodded.
“We should find a place to sleep for the night, but I think we should try to find some food or money.” Chrys said as the other five nodded, Jackson going to play with her hair.
“We could con people. I’m sure Chrys can still do the shell game and The other girls will be cheerleaders.” Siren muttered as Chrys flushed crimson. She had forgotten about when she would do that to make money, unaware of her strength when it came to crops.
“That was one time, and I’m not-“ Chrys was cut off by a rustling from next to them, and all six stopped, watching the place when—

Mark set off for his daily portal check, making sure the weird, new magic was contained. As he checked portal 5, He saw a blonde girl with tan cat ears fall out of it and ducked away. He watched the scene unfold before him, finally resolving to take them back to his apartment. After all, they could be helpful to the rebellion, and lord knows the rebellion needs all the help it can get.   
Preparing himself, Mark walked out, saying, “Do you guys need some help?” Instantaneously, the blonde girl  and brown haired boy shot up, taking a defensive position. Mark put his hands up in surrender and the two visibly relaxed, going towards their friends.
  “Yes, we do. Now, if you could get us to the nearest portal we’ll be on our way.” A pale, white-haired girl came forward and said it, her presence radiating waves of dominance.
    “I can’t let you do that. I can shelter you and try to do that, but most portals are simply balls of energy and magic that respond to nothing.” The six nodded sadly, and with that Mark led the way to his apartment, hoping they wouldn’t turn out to be with the government.
Marks apartment was medium. Not large like the penthouses near the clouds, but also not small like the ten floor apartments in the single digits of the skyscrapers that housed the growing population. He had a pull out couch and a king sized bed with some sleeping bags, as was standard for the rebellion since they all had to travel. Mark unlocked the door and looked back at the six, who he now had to clothe and feed. The six rushed into the room, The four girls going to the kitchen and the boy helping Mark set up the pull out couch.
“Thanks for taking us in.” the blonde boy said, and Mark couldn’t help but notice the similarities that he had with the blonde neko girl. Mark nodded, grunting slightly as he finished lifting the bed down.
“We can fix the bed. Chicken needs to cook anyway.” A dark-skinned girl with wolf ears and a wolf tail said, her tone cheery. Mark nodded wordlessly, wondering how these girls could prepare a chicken so fast, unless… Mark shook his head. There was no way these new people had magic, and even if they did, they couldn’t possibly think of using the precious resource to create food. Realizing the black-haired girl was waiting for his response, Mark nodded, going to watch the chicken. It didn’t seem magical, but then again, a lot of things had hidden secrets, like Mark and Sarah. Soon, Dinner was ready , and Mark plated the food, trying to make due of his pitiful rations that now had to be stretched for seven people.
“So, where do you guys come from?” Asked Mark, attempting to make some small talk over dinner.
“Well, we came from the triad kingdoms. Y’know, the Werewolf, Neko, and Mermaid kingdoms.” Chrys elaborated as she saw Marks confused look.
“But those were destroyed a thousand years ago. We haven’t seen any magic or magical human-animal since the dictators rose to destruction.” The six others furrowed their brows, trying to comprehend this new information.
Finally, it was Jackson who spoke up. “What year is it?” He asked softly, trying to wrap his mind around all this.
“It’s 3029, year that we decided enough is enough and formed the rebellion.” Mark said, his voice a gentle whisper.
“We need to go back.” Crystal said suddenly. “We can’t stay here, who knows what’ll happen to the kingdoms.”
“I do.” Mark rushed over to his book case, taking out an expansive history book he had swiped off a university student. “What year are you guys from?” He opened the history books index, flipping to the middle.
“We’re from 2018.” Said Siren, nervously playing with her brown hair that had become undone.
“2018; the year the-” The page suddenly went blank, and Mark stopped reading to gape, before a paragraph replaced it. “The year all the triads rulers mysteriously dissapeared. Our nation mourned the loss of Siren, Jackson, Chrys, Crystal, Aquarius, and Cole.” Each of them winced as they heard their own name. “We are beginning to dissolve into chaos.” The paragraph ended there, and all seven looked at each other with alarm.
“We need to get you guys back, now.” Mark said, hurrying to text a friend through a special app that was heavily coded by one of their newest recruits, fresh out of senior year. He had made sure the government couldn’t get in and hack their messages. Mark opened a new message to everyone, typing: Hey guys, I need your help to open a portal. We have some new ‘recruits’ who’ll need security from the borgs. I’ll try to set up a portal but meanwhile would apreciate any rations you can spare. Sincerely, Mark.
“Ok, some help will come soon. For now, let’s go to sleep.” Mark said and the others nodded.
“We need to split up.” Cole said once they had gotten comfy, the boys in sleeping bags and the girls on the pullout couch, though Chrys had tried several times to get Cole to come on it instead.
“Me, Jackson, and Chrys can scour the city for portals and the other can try to make some money doing... makeovers. Girls are good at that, right?” Cole teased, his response a pillow to the face.
“I’ll go with the scouting, and we’ll have Sarah to go with the girls, though she won’t help you three one bit.” Mark said. He knew Sarah. They were siblings in all but blood, Mark finding her one day scared and alone, since she was a cyborg, and cyborgs were banned. Mark fed and clothed her, the two sharing this apartment until the rebellion started and she went to work security, often helping on the front lines with attacks against the dictator and her supply trains. Finally, Mark and Sarah would have some quality time together, no matter how small it was. Hopefully, Sarah was still the doe eyed girl with long flowing black hair and pale skin, making her look like Snow White, and she hadn’t changed much, but Mark knew the war could change people. After all, he had been disowned from his family since he wanted to help, but even now, he knew he wouldn’t go back for the world, not while he was happy. As Mark fell asleep, he smiled, trying to have a dream of Sarah, conjuring her up in his mind.

Song is Secret Garden by EmpathP

The next morning, Mark woke up early to make some eggs. He wanted everything to be perfect, well, as perfect as he can get them.
“Why are you up so early?” The whine came from the couch, and Mark turned to see Crystal looking at him warmly, rubbing her eyes before getting up.
“That’s not how you cook eggs. C’mon, who raised you, monkeys?” Crystal said, taking the spatula from Mark and humming with disapproval.
“Actually, a nice elderly couple did. They owned a farm and after seeing so many eggs hatch in my hands, I haven’t had eggs in a while. I’m making them for Sarah.” Mark smiled as he said Sarah, making Crystal feel that same pain in her heart as seeing Cole smile at Siren.
“That’s nice. Why don’t you get me a plate than some bowls for pancake batter and we’ll have a full feast?” Crystal said, smiling up at Mark as he went to fetch what little flour they have left.
“I know it's not much, but maybe we could- “
“It’ll be fine, I just needed a little base.” Crystal said, looking at the flour and gently whispering. Mark watched in awe as Crystal made their flour jar slowly fill up. She then took some of the flour and put it into a mixing bowl.
Crystal continued on with the rest of the ingredients, using some but still leaving plenty for Mark to use later. She then got to work making the batter. By the time Crystal was finished and had started cooking the pancakes in the pan, the rest of her crew got up, each taking turns going to the bathroom and changing.
“3,2,1, go!” As an effort to pass the time, Chrys was challenging everyone to Rock, Paper, Scissors and was beating them all. Mark came over, noticing her smug smile as she beat Siren again.
“I have to ask you; how do you do it?” Mark whispered to her, and Chrys smiled even harder, turning away from her friends so they wouldn’t know as Aquarius and Siren babbled on about cartoons and the boys about sports.
“Well, when you choose what you want to move, there’s this slight hesitation as your fingers barely ghost the motion. I’ve picked out which is which, and now I can see what they’ll do and oppose it.” Mark was amazed at how Chrys could learn this, and he stood in awe whilst Chrys turned back, challenging anyone she could
Soon enough, Crystal had finished the pancakes and all seven were about to sit down to eat when three sharp knocks on the door rang through the house. “I’ll get it,” Mark said as he sat up, opening the door before anyone could protest. He opened the door to a black-haired girl, her short hair held back by a ponytail as her skin was tanned, though you could only see it on her face, since the rest of her was covered by sweatpants and a baggy hoodie.
“Do I know you?” Said Mark, perplexed, but the girl simply smiled, latching her arms across Mark and hugging the taller boy.
“It’s me silly, Sarah.” Sarah said playfully, and Mark smiled at her before turning. “These are the people we need to guard, and hopefully get back home safely.” Mark gestured to the six, and Sarah smiled, shaking all of their hands forcefully.
After they had all been seated with their food, it was Chrys who spoke first. “Ok Sarah, this is the plan. Siren, Crystal, Sarah, and Aquarius go out to make some money by doing makeovers, while the boys and I can go scout for portals.” Everyone nodded, and Sarah and Mark exchanged knowing looks. This girl was a lot like them, knowing how to manage finances and time, as well as being a leader.

Sarah sure had changed. Mark had known her as a sweet innocent girl who just tried to fit in, but the war had made everyone hard and solemn, friends lost for no reason other than to keep the terrible dictatorship continuing. He drummed his fingers on his thigh, listening non-creepily to Chrys humming in a shower. Wait, that tune sounded familiar. Mark sang along softly as Chrys hummed. “He said, oh Mary, contrary, how does your garden grow? Come with me, and you’ll be. The seventh maid in a row.” Chrys sang along, shocking Mark that she had heard him.
“Her answer, was laughter, soft as she lowered her head. You’re too late, I’m afraid, this flowers already dead.” They sang more, their voices complimenting each other, and fitting like they were puzzle pieces.
Eventually, Chrys turned off the water and shooed Mark away, changing and coming out in a sleek, black outfit that Sarah had for her, the girls size only slightly differing. She was examining the slight difference when Jackson came behind her, scooping her into his arms and holding her bridal style. Chrys giggled and shrieked like a little girl as Jackson caught her, her infectious laughter filling the apartment and the yell bringing their other friends to the bedroom, each outfitted for their own quest. Jackson let Chrys down, who blushed at the sudden attention and turned to go next to Siren, Crystal, and Aquarius, each in a matching outfit.
“How did you do this?” She asked, examining the three girls as Crystal winked.
“Magic. I did the same thing for Cole and Jackson.” Of course, Aquarius would be able to redesign outfits so easily, her magic was strongest with fashion. For Cole it was anything suave, and Siren was water, but Chrys and Crystal didn’t have a specific area they excelled in, instead being a jack of all trades.
After chatting for a while, Mark told the group they were ready to go. “If we’re out by one, we’ll get home before the seven-thirty curfew.” He told them, and Sarah nodded.
“I’ll take my group, Mark will take his.” The group nodded, stepping out into the bustle of this electronic city.

“I don’t get it, why doesn’t anyone wanna get their hair styled?” Aquarius whined as Crystal did her hair. All four girls were bored, and since no one would come to their hastily made workstations, they began to do each other’s hair. Siren had her hair into two French braids and Crystal wanted braids that came back to an elaborate bun, so she had Aquarius do it. Sarah was behind the shack, throwing her knife to and fro as she waited for someone to show up. “Maybe we should-”
“Oh look, a customer!!” Aquarius pointed to a women who was coming towards them, her face covered in a veil. She stepped into the shack and sat down in a chair, Crystal claiming her by standing behind her.
“Ok, so what would you like today? I’m the hair designer and my friend Si-“ Sarah coughed, mouthing Seraphina, the name Crystal should use. “Seraphina is the makeup artist and Ally is our designer.” Crystal said, gesturing to each girl.
“Could I get everything?” The girl said sheepishly, looking around at the three. “I can pay.” She waved cash at Sarah, who snatched it up and told the rest to ‘go for it.’ Aquarius was able to take measurements and went to the back to work magic, literally.
“Could you take your veil off?” Siren asked and the girl, whose name was Evelyn, nodded. She took off the veil and the three girls collectively gasped. Her face was deranged with a cleft palette, and one eyes was bigger than the other. Try as she might, Siren couldn’t do makeup, and let Crystal do Evelyn’s hair.
Siren sat slumped at a chair, trying to figure out what to do, when an idea struck her. She could make Evelyn’s life better and work some magic. Aquarius, who had now come out, listened to Siren’s idea and agreed. As soon as Crystal was done with Evelyn, Siren came up to the tanned girl.
“I know this sounds weird, but could you close your eyes for a moment?” Siren asked and Evelyn nodded. She closed her eyes, her dirty blonde hair waving slightly. Siren mumbled a spell and fixed Evelyn’s features, also applying makeup. “You can open your eyes now.” Said Siren cheerily.
Evelyn looked up and a shriek filled the room. “What have you done?” Evelyn shrieked, pointing a finger at Siren. “I spent a fortune getting my face like that and now you ruined it with, with,” Evelyn struggled with words before smiling sinisterly. “Magic. That’s right, I know I your secret, you use magic. That’s illegal, as is this shop, and I will report you.” Evelyn fled the shack as all four girls looked at each other. It was Siren who broke the silence.
“I’m sorry,” She sniffled, “I shouldn’t have tried to help.” Siren looked ready to burst into tears, and as Aquarius sat next to Siren, comforting her, Sarah crouched in front of Siren.
“We didn’t mean to do that. People just have different ideas of beautiful, ok?” Siren nodded, and Sarah got up, pulling the other two up as well. “We need to  leave, now. Erase ourselves and meet the rest of them at the apartment.” Sarah said, disappearing into the afternoon since she was already known for other crimes and the government couldn’t find her. Crystal and Siren took down the shack manually, Aquarius going over to a spot where no one could see her and undoing the magic. They didn’t know what to say, and worked in silence, except for Aquarius’s humming of a bright tune.
By the time they finished, all girls were tired and it was nearing the nightly curfew. They rushed to the apartment, sitting down just in time for dinner.

Up, down, up, down. They were waiting, and Chrys had summoned an apple, throwing it up and down repeatedly. Mark was her ‘partner’, they had split up to cover more portals. Now, Mark snatched the apple out of Chrys’ hand, hushing her whines of protest with a finger to her lips. She nodded, letting Mark lead them to another portal. Something was off. Chrys had no other ways to describe it, she just felt weird. Assessing the situation, the only thing different was Jackson gone, and guilt flooded her gut. She was the one who had proposed this, and what if Jackson felt the same way? No, he couldn’t, he didn’t have any magic, and this felt laced with it. She accidentally sighed aloud, and Mark shushed her, but was intrigued.
“Why did you sigh?” He asked in a hushed voice, and turned around, walking backwards down the dirt road.
“It-this,” Chrys motioned to her and Mark, “feels weird. Like, I’m missing something, but it’s probably nothing.” Chrys strode ahead of Mark. He wasn’t about to tell this stranger about her love life. Besides, Mark was pretty smart, he had to assume their was some sort of relation ship between the two. 
“C’mon, don’t partner need to tell each other everything?” Mark wouldn’t let this subject go, and the thought of telling someone her feeling left Chrys terrified, and… something else.
“Fine ‘Partner,’ it’s because me and Jackson are soulmates, but you wouldn’t know about it.” Chrys swiveled on her heel before realizing what she said. She turned back around to see Mark wiping at his face, tears held back by pure will. “Maybe I will never know what it’s like to be soulmates, but you can be sure I’ll try.” Mark said, his voice stone cold. “I-I didn’t mean-“
“Like hell you didn’t. Lets just go.” Mark rushed ahead of Chrys, who followed after a moment of regaining composure. She didn’t even know how that had happened, why she had snapped. She hadn’t snapped for a while, always being the protective sarcastic one. The two found the next portal.
“Ok, you know the drill.” Mark sat down next  to the portal. Usually he would guide and encourage Chrys through trying to open the portal, but she was by herself. Chrys drew in a deep breath, flexing her hands twice before speaking the incantations clearly. Some she didn’t have to say, but others, the arduous ones, had to be enunciated perfectly. Chrys finished the process and she stumbled, panting slightly as she struggled to regain energy.
“Well, onto the next one.” Mark said after giving what he deemed an appropriate amount of time to Chrys to help her regain energy.
Chrys nodded. “I’m really sorry, I don’t know what came over me,” She paused, letting her sincere words sink in, “And if you want to find that lucky lady, go for it.” Mark nodded, smiling at Chrys.
“It’s ok. Let’s get you guys closer to home, ok?” Chrys smiled and nodded, accepting the hand Mark offered her.
They walked to the next one, and the next one, and the next one, until Chrys had begun to give up hope. Her  tail drooped, and her ear had flattened substantially. Still, Mark urged her forward.
“This is the last one, I promise.” He said, bringing them to another abandoned site. To be honest, these portals didn’t have the same tug as the first one did, but if Mark wanted them to go to it then Chrys would. After all, Mark had done so much to help them.
“Ok, then are we going home?” Mark nodded  and Chrys sighed. She drew energy from the thought of going back to the apartment, and more importantly, her subjects. She used to long for adventure, but coming here made her realize that ruling was what she had to do, and she had it better off than most people, especially here. They tested the portal, and after the test failed, Mark and Chrys headed to the apartment.
“Why are you packing?” Mark asked as he stepped into the apartment, seeing Sarah throw stuff into a plastic bag. She looked at them, fear flashing through her eyes.
“Oh, it’s you two. We need to leave, now.” The teen was interrupted by knocks on the door. Chrys went to the door and let Crystal, Siren, and Aquarius in. They went over to Sarah.
“Ok, you four need to explain.” Mark looked at them, taking out a small… bug? No, it wasn’t a bug, it was a recording device attached to a plastic bug. Smart. “Ok, so there was this  girl, and she asked for everything.”
“She had a veil on and I went to make her a dress. It was really pretty with- ow! Why did you?” Aqua realized she was rambling and nodded at Crystal, who was ready to continue the story.
“So, I did her hair after she undid the veil, then Siren had the brilliant idea to,” Crystal ignored Siren elbowing her, “magic the customers disfigured face, and then she fled to the government, so now we need to get the portal.” Crystal finished and hurried around the room, picking up some stuff.
“Only these girls,” Chrys muttered, trying to hide her fidgeting hands. What if someone connected the dots? Cole and Jackson were still out there, and the others could
“Chrys? Chrys?” Mark snapped his fingers in front of Chrys, and she shook her head.
“Sorry, what?” She muttered, and Sarah sighed.
“I said you need to get your boyfriend and brother.” Chrys blushed. Was she really that obvious? “Ok,” Chrys grabbed a bandana, hiding her ears and tucking her tail between her skirt. She spun on her heel, but the door swung open. “Why hello there-“

Jackson felt, was useless. He couldn’t do anything but hold a map that he didn’t even know how to read. Cole read it. He did everything. ‘Kill him. You wont get blamed if you blame it on the portals.’ A dark, mysterious voice invaded Jackson’s thoughts. He stood shock-still, trembling with fear.
“You ok Jack?” Cole turned back and Jackson blinked before nodding.
“Yeah, just zoned out for a bit, sorry.” Jackson followed Cole, who continued walking. Jackson didn’t know how that happened, didn’t even know what the voice was, but it scared him into staying close to Cole. Soon enough, they were at the last portal, and Cole finished checking it. The process took longer than usual, and Jackson sat silent. He needed to know what that voice was. Ever since he heard it, something was… happening. He didn’t know how to describe it, he just felt piqued and perturbed. There was something new, something there that wasn’t there before, a longing for something, something dangerous. Something lethal.
“Jack, Jack?” Cole snapped his fingers in front of Jacksons face, and he pushed Cole to the ground, acting on reflex.
“Ow, what was that for?” Cole looked up at Jackson, who had stood up, red tinting those brown eyes. “C-Cole, what are you doing?” Cole looked up at Jackson, genuine fear flashing through his eyes. Jackson stared at Cole, genuine fear in his eyes. Jackson stared at him, the corner of his mouth trying to twist into a sick smile, before he realized what was happening. The red tint left Jackson’s eyes as he fell to the ground, catching himself with his hands.
“Wh-what happened?” He looked at Cole, who got up and helped Jackson up.
“You got really scary, and tried to, well, let’s just say we should go.” Jackson looked at Cole and nodded. Cole had Jackson lead the way so he could keep an eye on his sister’s fiancé, but Jackson wasn’t doing much, just humming to himself. What Cole didn’t know, was that the humming was Jackson’s silent plea, trying to attract attention. The voice was back, and it was telling him how that would happen again, and how Jackson couldn’t to anything to fix it. It hurt, but in a way it filled Jacksons longing, it filled it completely. They walked to the apartment, Jackson knocking on the door.
“Why hello there-“ Chrys opened the door and saw Jackson open it. His eyes were red and the voice wasn’t Jackson’s, but he was mouthing silent pleas to help him.
“Jackson?” Cole looked at Jackson and gasped. “Everyone get back! Jackson is dangerous.” Cole said, but Chrys grabbed Jackson. This version of Jackson writhed at the touch, but Chrys didn’t let go, taking him to the bedroom and locking him in it.
“Ok Jackson, or whatever’s in there, we are staying here until I fix this.” Chrys sat on the bed, watching Jackson. He stared at her, trying to figure out this girl. ‘This one is fierce, how did she settle for a weakling like you? It’s oh so easy to hurt her now, now that I have this host.’ Jackson didn’t want to think of what this creature, ‘shadow, I’m a shadow,’ ok, shadow, was going to do with his body, but he wanted control back, wanted to save Chrys.
“Well well, you must be the queen.” The voice was deeper than Jacksons, and had a sinister undertone to the words.
“Yeah, and you must be the thing that invaded my fiancé, so shut up and do whatever. He’ll push through, he always does.” The shadow, him, laughed.
“Oh, you must really have faith in him. Well tell me then, if he’s so strong, how did I manage to take control of him?” Chrys’ cool façade faltered, and she struggled with the question.
“You’re not fully in control, it’s slipping. You’re not in control of anything, you have nothing.” Chrys shouted, and she could see Jacksons eyes turned back into that great brown. It was working. “And Jackson will win. He always wins. He’s great at everything and I love him so much because he never stops trying. He will never stop trying, and if you even think he will he wont, because he’s better than this, and-”
“He’s the one in control!” Jackson and Chrys shouted at the same time. Jackson could barely smile at Chrys before he collapsed on the bed, scarily pale. Chrys unlocked the door, going out to her friends.
“Jackson collapsed. He wasn’t himself, Cole was right, but he is now.” She announced, going over to her friends.
“Ok, we’ll deal with that later. Sarah thinks she found the portal to get you six back home.” Chrys sat with the others, who were huddled around a crude drawing. Sarah went through the plan with Chrys, explaining how they had to wait until night to enact the plan, breaking curfew. They played around for a while, telling stories from each of their worlds, but Chrys excused herself when she heard the bedroom door open. She walked over to Jackson, who was sitting on the bed.
“Do you want to talk about it?” She probed softly, worried more about him than anything else. Jackson looked up at Chrys, and the blonde woman could see just how scared he was, how terrified it must be to have his own body taken from him.
“Yes please. I, I don’t know what’s going on. This has never happened before, it shouldn’t even be able to happen.” Jackson looked at Chrys, searching for any reassurance that it was a dream, but Chrys knew he had to face the music.
“I know sweetie, but we can get through this, I know we can.” Jackson nodded. He didn’t have to be alone, Chrys would help him.

Chrys led Jackson out to the room the others were at. They waved at him, except Cole, who looked up before ducking his head down. The poor man was probably scared of Jackson, and to be honest, Jackson couldn’t blame him.
“We should be able to go now.” Mark said. He was intrigued by Jackson, he had to get him alone sometime. The others nodded and packed, getting ready to leave.

They left at Midnight, scouring the city with torches before finding the manhole Sarah had found.
“This should be it, and then the portal is down the hall.” She whispered, and the other’s nodded. Cole and Sarah went first, followed by the others. Chrys stayed closer to Jackson, an unsaid role to make sure he didn’t ‘flare up’ again after last time. It irritated Jackson, but at least Chrys wasn’t afraid of him, and talked amiably with Jackson. They walked in the tunnel, each footstep echoing and magnifying with the slew of water below them. Soon, they came to the tunnel, but the portal was barred off and unlit.
“What? How did this happen?” Cole exclaimed, and Sarah punched the wall.
“They followed me. That little rat followed me.” She snarled before looking over at Mark.
“I don’t have the saw.” He put his hands up defensively.
“Well, we don’t have fire magic.” Crystal said, now pacing.
“We don’t,  but Jackson does.” Chrys said after thinking for a long time. The others looked at her like she was crazy, Jackson included. He didn’t even know how to use his power, much less control it. Chrys had to be crazy, she had to be if she thought he could. The same dull throb settled between Jacksons temples, just like before.
“Ok ok, I deserve that, but think about it. There’s not another option, and we’re all alone here. I could try to control him and the rest of you can exit to be safe.” ‘If this works, I, you, will kill her. You can’t stop me, I will take over.’ Jackson began to shake slightly in fear. No, he couldn’t kill Chrys. Chrys was so nice to him, so helpful and loving, and now he was a monster, horrific.
“I’m not doing this.” He spoke up, even when everyone looked at him with relief.
“Why not?” Chrys asked, and when he looked at her he could see the desperation in her eyes, pleading with him.
“We need to get home, our kingdoms are collapsing and our imprint is fading.” Siren said softly, and the others nodded. That was why they did this.
“Fine, but if something happens, promise to kill me.” The room collectively gasped. They knew the two loved each other, but this?
“That is ridiculous. I am not letting the neko kingdom go without an heir.” Cole said, going up to Jackson and staring at him.
“It will have an heir, you.” Chrys said, looking at her baby brother with ferocity. “But, I don’t have the magic or-“
“The magic will be brought down once both crowned die. They told us this.” Aqua said. The non-rulers stayed to the side, listening but not being able to offer any input.
“And all the string have been tied. Let’s go.” Sarah said, waving over her shoulder and walking out of the tunnel.

“So,” Chrys said, stopping from poking at a stick to look at Jackson in the murky tunnel. “Are you trying?” Jackson huffed.
“Of course I’m trying. This is something new, ok? I can’t control it. But irritate me some more, why don’t you?” He looked over at her, and Chrys smiled when she saw the red tinting his eyes.
“Ok, but how long will we have to wait? I mean, there is some things I would rather go teleport and do, actually a million, than sit here and babysit my fiancé.” ‘See, look at that? She’s so annoying, it irks me. It’s not enough to be queen, no, now she has to flaunt that she can teleport and all that.’  Jackson snapped,
“Well if there is then why don’t you go and do them? I’ll be waiting right here with no teleportation, but I have this.” Chrys barely avoided the fireball Jackson hurled at her. The man now had red eyes and a deep voice, and he looked over at Chrys with fury in his eyes. Now she got it. Chrys maneuvered over to the gate as Jackson hurled fireball after fireball. He launched repeated strikes on the gate and a hole appeared. When a fireball hit the portal, a loud explosion rang out and Chrys ducked, her arms above her head to protect it. The dust cleared, and voices rang down the tunnel, running up to Jackson and Chrys.
“Chrys, Jackson?” Chrys got up, dusting herself off, and met the others, who hugged her.
“This is the last time I’m letting you do anything this risky. One day you’ll die.” Siren said as she hugged Chrys. Chrys smiled.
“I promise nothing.” She moved over to Jackson, who was weakly getting up.
“Hey babe,” He gave her a fatigued smile. “Did I do it?”
In response to the question, Chrys kissed Jacksons hair. “Yeah, you were amazing darling.” He smiled and got up, energy renewed. The six made their way to the portal, the gate thrown to the side as the portal was ignited, swirling with purple wisps of energy.
“I can’t thank you two enough.” Crystal began. “If you ever need anything and this portal stays open, we would be happy to help.” The others nodded, and Mark and Sarah smiled.
“Thank you, but it was our pleasure. At least now, we might finally get the help we need.” The six bowed, a sign of humility and respect, before walking into the portal.

Time seemed to stop, and then sped up again as the six royals were deposited out of the portal. “Well, I guess we should go back.” The other’s nodded, and went over to their rooms, most falling asleep. Chrys smiled, writing down this adventure before turning off the lamp, going over to her bed and falling asleep, joining the others in peaceful slumber.